using up your stash makes hair suffer???

Kinky4Agirl

Ladies I have a dilemma. I have so many products that I am thinking of throwing them away. But then I saw a few threads where sisters are saying to use up the stash. I was wondering how I can use up my stash without letting my hair suffer for it. I mean I have some good products that I am using now. If I stop and start using the old stuff that I have stashed, wouldn't it hurt my hair progress? Example: I am using Aphogee shampoo... I also have Ors shampoo and beauty of nature shampoo. Am I to stop using Aphogee and use up all the ors, then go to the BON and us it up too before I get back to my regimen of Aphogee products?

Same thing with my conditioners and leave ins...

What do you ladies do when you are using up your stash and you know you are not using the best products for your hair? Isn't that careless???
help!

30something

I have used up most of my stash. I was wondering the same thing before I wanted to get rid of the excess. I don't think you should force your self to use up a conditioner if nothing can be helped to make it work for you. While you are cutting down your stash you will see for you self what is just not going to work out. My hair didn't suffer from using up my stash but the I went through conditioners I already kind of liked. Chances are that will happen to you too..you just gotta find out. Just don't put the same expectation you have on your stables to the random product you have.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Never mess with a regimen that's working for you! If you have products with ingredients that your hair doesn't like, just give them away and don't worry about trying to use them. You could have setbacks and lose hair.

Kinky4Agirl

OH thanks you guys. I didn't know I could trade and exchange. I will try that.

20Something, that was my worry. Not getting the same results as with my staples. But as you said, the older ones are ones that I kinda like anyway so it might not hurt my hair all that much. Thanks.

Miss AJ, I don't know what's wrong with me but giving away my products does not work. I always feel like I am missing something and then want them back... lol. poor selfish me!!!

Kinky4Agirl

Never mess with a regimen that's working for you! If you have products with ingredients that your hair doesn't like, just give them away and don't worry about trying to use them. You could have setbacks and lose hair.

You are so right. And I DO NOT want to lose my hair.

lamaria211

if the products dont work for your hair then get rid of them if you have more than one dc or leave in that you like its ok to use them both until you get your stash down. make sure you research the products and read many reviews before you trash them or even buy new stuff. sometimes i had given stuff away that i thought my hair did like only to end up rebuying it after i learned how to properly use it. HTH

Kinky4Agirl

lamaria211, so you are saying using two and 3 different shampoos every week is ok for our hair? I thought it was best to try to stick with the same product each week.

lamaria211

lamaria211, so you are saying using two and 3 different shampoos every week is ok for our hair? I thought it was best to try to stick with the same product each week.

its ok to rotate products if they all make your hair feel good. i personally use one at a time then move on to the next to help me use things up quicker. if you have a favorite poo that is the bomb.com and the others dont compare then trash or gift them but if theres 2 or 3 which you like equally then its ok to use them until they are gone

faithVA

Use up your stash doesn't really mean you have to use it. It just means you need to get it out of your stash. So use it up, give it away, exchange it, mix it, throw it away.

If you have products that are your staples, stick with them and get rid of everything you don't want to try. I know some ladies on the board would be happy to buy some of your stash :yep: There are some college students that could use a care package.

AlwaysNatural

You could use your shampoos to wash your brushes and combs. Or yeah as some else said sell them, give them away to family members or friends. You could mix your conditioners with your DC's.

Kinky4Agirl

faithVA, you are right. And I work right down the street from the university of Indianapolis. But I can't help but think about all the money I put into my products.. Then I start to think about what if I run out of money or lose my job and I need these for hard times. lol, I will get over it.. I guess I am just obsessed. It will pass.

faithVA

[USER=366099 said:
Kinky4Agirl[/USER];17181129]@faithVA, you are right. And I work right down the street from the university of Indianapolis. But I can't help but think about all the money I put into my products.. Then I start to think about what if I run out of money or lose my job and I need these for hard times. lol, I will get over it.. I guess I am just obsessed. It will pass.

You can always use a product and see if you like it. Then decide whether you want to keep it, put it on hold, give it away or trash it. You don't have to make a decision on everything all at once. I have products that have moved between my give away, put on hold shelf or use shelf. No pressure.

If you have things you love then it won't be that hard getting rid of things that are terrible. You can start there. You won't feel bad when you give those away.

newgrowth15

You could also use any shampoos you don't like as pre-treatments for stains or ring around the collar on your clothes. It is soap and won't do any harm to them.

prettyinpurple

Use up your stash doesn't really mean you have to use it. It just means you need to get it out of your stash. So use it up, give it away, exchange it, mix it, throw it away.

If you have products that are your staples, stick with them and get rid of everything you don't want to try. I know some ladies on the board would be happy to buy some of your stash :yep: There are some college students that could use a care package.

Also see if any local charities or shelters for women will accept the products.

I lucked out and found a local org that provides housing for women and they specifically request AA hair products on their wish list. I gave them so much stuff lol. It was great getting my stash to a reasonable size too!

Finally if there's an LHCF meet-up in your area soon, go and give away stuff there.

spellinto

You can use your old shampoos as body washes and/or hand soaps, especially if they have sulfates. I am using my leftover HE Hello Hydration shampoo to wash my body & to shave. As long as they don't have any "extra" ingredients like menthol or anything, you should be good. If you have conditioners that were just "OK" (not conditioners that jacked your hair up!), you can use them to detangle and/or prepoo before a wash...that's what I'm doing with the rest of my HE Hello Hydration Conditioner. Anything else that you really cannot re-use in any way can either be given away or tossed, but I wouldn't sacrifice the health of your hair over it!

Kinky4Agirl

Thanks to everyone who replied. spellinto, your advice was the best ever!!! Hell yeah!! I plan to do just that. use as body washes and shaving creams... Now that's a good idea girlfriend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i use conditioners as shaving lotion.

for conditioners that were "so-so" i add silk aminos or olive oil to them and use them up.

shampoo i use as hand soap. especially if you have those bottles that squirt foam instead of soap,..they work great. just add a some shampoo to an empty bottles, then water, then shake it up. voila...more hand foamy soap.

leaveins i give to my hubbie for his hair.

anything else, i give away. for example, if a product is expensive, i give it away to a friend who may like it.

Mjon912

I alternate what I use...I have shampoos and conditioners that I love but I have a ton of stuff that I'm iffy about so to get rid of the iffy stuff one week ill use my staple products then the next week i Might switch the conditioner out for an iffy then the next week I'm back to my staples the the following week ill switch the shampoo out...that kind of thing, it takes a while and then I'm trying to only buy staples that I run out of

classoohfive

A lot of products I have aren't bad for my hair, I've just found something better, so I still use them. If something's just bad for your hair, I wouldn't use it.

I have plenty of rinse out conditioners but HE:LTR is my favorite. I have another HE conditioner that never gave me enough slip for detangling but is moisturizing. I use it to rinse out my henna since it requires multiple cowashes to get out, and I also used it to cowash my braids when I was in individuals/box braids. I was cowashing my braids for some slight cleansing and moisturizing, not for slip so it worked out fine. I used another one to shave my legs.

Some products work better mixed with other things, but I'm not going to keep buying those products to mix up if I found something that works on its own. In the meantime I'll mix those products up to use (like a DC and coconut oil, which work great together but not so much on their own). I have a DC that's just okay for me, but when my staple DC was running low I mixed them together to stretch it out since I wasn't going out at 1am for some conditioner. :lol:

Is the Aphogee shampoo a regular shampoo or does it do something else? I have multiple shampoos as my staples because they do different things. I have a moisturizing shampoo I use every now and then (I don't shampoo often, I like cowashing) and once or twice a month depending on my hair I use the ORS shampoo since it's good for combating hard water. I also use it after my relaxer.

For anything that doesn't work or my hair hated, I gave away. Some I was able to use on my daughter's hair (like the leave-in that dries my hair out but makes makes her curls pop). The shelter here wants unopened products, which I completely understand, so I'm left exchanging products with my mom.

Kinky4Agirl

classoohfive, I use the Aphogee because my hair is damanged. I was natural for 3 years and I didn't take good care of my hair at the time. It is for damaged hair. I use it along with the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor. It is amazing! Thanks for reminding me about the coconut oil. I have some that I bought from the vitamin store and forgot that it is a good conditioner as well... Tootles

classoohfive

classoohfive, I use the Aphogee because my hair is damanged. I was natural for 3 years and I didn't take good care of my hair at the time. It is for damaged hair. I use it along with the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor. It is amazing! Thanks for reminding me about the coconut oil. I have some that I bought from the vitamin store and forgot that it is a good conditioner as well... Tootles

I use the Aphogee Two-Step treatment and follow up moisturizer, but I never bothered with the shampoo since the two shampoos I use are enough for me. I purchased the Aphogee as a 3-pack and gave the shampoo to my mom. Since the Aphogee shampoo and the ORS are for different things aside from cleansing, I wouldn't completely replace the Aphogee in order to use up the ORS but just occasionally use the ORS when you need to fight off hard water, after swimming, or post relaxer to remove buildup.

Some people use coconut oil as a pre-poo as well if you want to look into that. I personally didn't like it as a pre-poo but other people love it.

Lylddlebit

Ladies I have a dilemma. I have so many products that I am thinking of throwing them away. But then I saw a few threads where sisters are saying to use up the stash. I was wondering how I can use up my stash without letting my hair suffer for it. I mean I have some good products that I am using now. If I stop and start using the old stuff that I have stashed, wouldn't it hurt my hair progress? Example: I am using Aphogee shampoo... I also have Ors shampoo and beauty of nature shampoo. Am I to stop using Aphogee and use up all the ors, then go to the BON and us it up too before I get back to my regimen of Aphogee products?

Same thing with my conditioners and leave ins...

What do you ladies do when you are using up your stash and you know you are not using the best products for your hair? Isn't that careless???
help!

Using my stash hasn't been a problem for me. I haven't used a product that couldn't become decent when mixed with a tried and true ingredient. Be it water aloe vera juice, oils, conditioners or other moisturizer. I have been able to dilute enough great product with a small amount (about 1/4 of the mixture)of not so great topic to make it work.