Transitioners, Naturals, do you separate your coils?

MissJ

Hi, I'm transitioning and the further I get into my transition, the more coils I get. I did a rollerset last week with a rattail comb. I noticed that when I used that comb, I combed the coils out, and my natural hair blended better with my relaxed hair. I don't wanna be using a rattail comb all the time though. I don't remember ever having any coils when I was a kid, maybe because my mom kept them combed out. Once I am all the way natural, I'm wondering if it's going to be a struggle to keep the coils combed out if I don't want to do the coily look all the time. What do you do with your coils?

MeccaMedinah

MissJ said:
Hi, I'm transitioning and the further I get into my transition, the more coils I get. I did a rollerset last week with a rattail comb. I noticed that when I used that comb, I combed the coils out, and my natural hair blended better with my relaxed hair. I don't wanna be using a rattail comb all the time though. I don't remember ever having any coils when I was a kid, maybe because my mom kept them combed out. Once I am all the way natural, I'm wondering if it's going to be a struggle to keep the coils combed out if I don't want to do the coily look all the time. What do you do with your coils?

Leave them be. I mainly wear twistouts. But when I wear my hair out it's either a picked out fro or a shake an go - that I sorta pull on to stretch out while drying.

Shatani

MissJ said:
im not gonna lie to ya, it WONT be easy! and it will get less and less easy as your hair gets longer...

i pretty just let my hair do what its gonna do....the more i fight it, the more hair i lose!

Cheleigh

I'm getting more coils too. At this point, I let them be. I figure it's my relaxed hair's responsibility to conform to my natural hair's bent and texture, not my natural hair's responsibility, since I'm eventually getting rid of the relaxed parts anyway, right?

Once I'm natural, I hope I have lots of coils--I think they're neat (like you, I don't recall ever seeing any, but my mom & grandmom say I had long, super tangly tightly coiled hair as a youngster). :)

caligirl

I don't comb the coils/curls out unless I'm setting it. Otherwise, I might comb my hair out with conditioner then rinse so that the curls will form again.

Dolapo

no. i just wash and go. i dont wear an afro everyday but if i want to, then i have to seperate the coils. I just let them clump together and do their own thing. I even try to encourage the clumping by plopping and scruncing my wet hair.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
MeccaMedinah said:
Leave them be.
same here. but my natural hair is extremely short (1.5" inches). So I don't have to worry about combing my hair at all. Benefits: less manipulation and no breakage.

TrulyBlessed

After I wash my hair I seperate my coils some so that I can put my hair into a ponytail, but whenever I moisturize they seem to congregate again, so I just leave them alone..I don't want to disturb their friendship ;)

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
MissJ said:

I'm transitioning using buns and the baggie method. I use the denman brush to pull the coils into waves. Most days I just settle for the wave and don't try to blend the two textures.

If I add Fruit of The Earth Aloe Vera gel then I can get my hair 'straighter' using the denman and my paddle brush. The downside of this is that because it's alot of manipulation, it may take me up to two hours to do it slowly so that I don't lose much hair.

BTW- I never knew that my hair was coily either. I expected that as my natural hair grew that it would be 100% cottony with no curl pattern.

kristina

When wearing box braids or twist, no. I barely even comb it with a k cutter. But if I want to put my hair in a tight ponytail or bun, I like to brush my hair out with my denman so that it'll look smooth. I brush it twice, once with conditioner wet and another time dry once out of braids. Doing this also makes my puff look even.