Comb Coils on longer hair?

naturalmanenyc

My cousin cut her natural hair recently to a TWA and she had the cutest comb coils when I saw her this weekend. They took about 30 minutes.

Has anyone done comb coils on longer natural hair, Shoulder or APL length? Any photos? How long do they last?

DH's stylist says he can do them for me but he suggested a straw set instead.:perplexed I feel like the comb coils will last longer than a straw set.

koolkittychick

I'm not sure, but I believe that comb coils on longer hair would be a very bad idea, especially on type 4 hair, unless you are planning taking them out in a couple of days. Any longer than that, and you would run the risk of them turning into dreads (although I would imagine dreads that small would look stunning!). Unless you are a looser type 3, I think you might want to stick to a straw set; it's practically the same thing, with less risk. Just my two cents; your mileage may vary of course.

naturalmanenyc

Yeah, I found a youtube video with comb coils on longer hair and I did not like the look. She actually did a coil out by setting her hair in coils and taking it down the next day.

JosieLynn

Yeah, I found a youtube video with comb coils on longer hair and I did not like the look. She actually did a coil out by setting her hair in coils and taking it down the next day.

Could you link the video? I'd like to see what it looked like as well. My younger sister has BSL hair and wants locks after she graduates highschool. That's 3 yrs from now so I'll be doing WL finger coils on her by then lol

koolkittychick

My co-worker and I were just talking about this yesterday, except we were looking at finger coils. I prefer to use combs and brushes and little as possible. Anyway, I linked her to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2sD-WrlNVA

We both actually liked the way her hair looked. :yep:
Yeah, like I said before, this girl in the video does not have type 4 hair, so this is a style option for her. Someone with 4b hair would not get similar results; if anything they would get beautiful dreads after a couple of weeks, but not coils like in that video.

Enyo

I'm not sure, but I believe that comb coils on longer hair would be a very bad idea, especially on type 4 hair, unless you are planning taking them out in a couple of days.

I disagree.

Yeah, like I said before, this girl in the video does not have type 4 hair, so this is a style option for her.

I think she's a 4a/3c mix. I am a type 4 with a patch of 3c in the back and rocked coils for almost 2 weeks straight. The only reason I took them out was because my hair started to frizz. No matting or dreads as long they are done properly and you keep them moist. I don't wear them anymore because my hair is too long for my (low) level of energy. :lol:

Someone with 4b hair would not get similar results; if anything they would get beautiful dreads after a couple of weeks, but not coils like in that video.
I don't think the OP ever said she was a 4B. I looked at her YT vids and she looks like she's a 4a meaning she has enough natural curl to do the coils without matting or dreading.

Fhrizzball

I have an album of finger twists in my profile of my hair when it was about CBL/APL. I didn't care for how they turned out as they got dull and didn't really look neat due to my poor parting. If you do it with the end result of separating it would be nice I think. I feel that a flexirod or straw set would give a better outcome though. I can't imagine doing it on my hair when it's the length it is now as you have to do them somewhat small so that it's not spacey and whatnot.

Here are a couple pictures of the set I did. They do remind me of locs so I really like that about them but they didn't seems to last long, got fuzzy and undefined fast, and detangling after was a bother. It was my first and only time doing them so that may be it.

Last edited:

koolkittychick

Which video are you referring to? Both women coiled their hair around their fingers...
Sorry, thought the second link was part of your siggy and didn't check it. Now that I have, I am referring to the first video. The girl in the first video simply pieced her hair out so that her curls would "clump" in smaller sections; with her 4a curl pattern and length, she would have needed to use a looong rattail comb and probably bigger sections to achieve true coils (which are just really tiny corkscrew Shirley Temple curls). The second girl has a looser curl pattern (3c), so she was able to get the corkscrews with her fingers and bigger sections.