Votes: 25 6.8%
  • Puritan's Pride Extra Virgin

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • "Other Brand" Please list

Votes: 60 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Katherina

i use extra virgin coconut oil. it's vitamin shoppe brand. i used spectrum once, but didn't like it...in comparison: the extra virgin one smelled better (actually like coconut) and the spectrum one made my hair feel dirty/ smell.

TeeWhyAre

this is my baby:

i looooove it. I mix it in my hand w/ castor oil and shea butter and me hair thanks me every day.

Raine054

What goes into it is coconuts and nothing else. I grate about 80 brown coconuts (takes me the whole day but the oil last for a year or so) and wash with water to extract the coconut milk. I do this for about an hour to make sure I get all of it and I use a really old pillow case so I don't end up picking flakes out of the milk. Then I boil the milk on a slow boil (West Indian coal pot style) for 8 hours or so and boom! I have my coconut oil!

It's the way my grandma did it. I learned when I spend a summer in the Caribbean.

kasey

There was a big sale on the Nutiva brand at the Green Festival in D.C. this weekend. The company came to exhibit their products and sold some jars at half the retail price. They sold out within a few hours.

tetbelle

Nature's Way: Pure Extra Virgin Olive oil (Organic). I use it on my hair and skin. Love it. I have used Vatika and Coconut oil from the Indian store before...they don't compare. This is the best.

Nappy_in_the_City

where can i find recommendations how to use my Spectrum on my hair?? I have this in my kitchen,...unused. Do you ladies melt it down first, use it while its solid....what?

Sapphire_chic

i went off coconut oil quite a few months ago because i was being waay too heavy handed sealing with it. i just started using it again only on my ends or to undo twists or my edges at night.
i like nutiva and most recently vatica (mmmm lemons)

ActionActress

I actually love the Nutiva brand. It has a very fresh scent and flavor and I always get the 54oz. size. I not only use it in my hair, I use it on my skin and cook with it.

ActionActress

I use the NOW brand coconut oil! It's the best.

I've used: Spectrum (unrefined) and Parachute, yet neither comes close to the quality of the NOW brand. The scent is stronger as well as the texture is more creamy.

This is the only other one I do use when I am running low and need some quickly while I wait for my Nutiva. But yeah it is a stronger scent. I like to rub the NOW brand on my skin and I smell tropical. Try adding a Vanilla scent to it and really smell like a summer drink or something...maybe strawberry scent.

onyxmin

Why am I laughing at myself? well cos I bought coconut kitchen cooking oil. Its not extra and definitely not virgin lol. Been debating on what to do with it and now, I decided to keep using it until I run out. If it clogs my pore, I will clarify using my clarifying poo. The economy is bad...I need to use it all up b4 purchasing another.

Post its usage, I will indulge in the Vatika brand.

Leesh

Can someone tell Me where I can get the Parachute brand? I have the Spectrum which is solid, which I like a lot, but for mixes it chills back to its original state and makes My mixes stiff.

DivaD04

i get mine from agbanga karite or i can make it from scratch.
the aroma of fresh coconuts...ahhhhhh, fantabulous!

Attachments

• coconut oil.jpg
    coconut oil.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 8

Embyra

i use puritan pride the longer i use it the softer my hair has got i havent had a relaxer for 13 months at the start of my stretch my hair was so dry feeling with the olive oil it didnt break but just never felt soft and lush like it does with coconut oil i cannot be without it!!

DivaD04

Can someone tell Me where I can get the Parachute brand? I have the Spectrum which is solid, which I like a lot, but for mixes it chills back to its original state and makes My mixes stiff.

more than likely all coconut oil solidify...even parachute which i have as well as agbanga karite. you may need to look in the ethnic section of the grocery stores. otherwise go to amazon.com. coconut oil has a long shelf life. as long as it keeps the smell of coconut..it's good. gl