Coconut Oil Lovers: Gold Label Coconut Oil by Tropical Traditions

so1913

Has anyone tried this brand of Unrefined Virgin Coconut oil?
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil.htm

I'm particularly interested in the Gold Label type that they offer and think I will give it a try. There is also a 3 min video on the homepage that explains more about the company and their process for making coconut oil, as well as some other information as you continue to scroll down the page.

They have various types of coconut oil, Gold Label being the highest quality. I've provided some of the descriptions for the oils below, but here is a quick reference chart further explaining the differences:
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/faq.htm#What_are_the_differences_between_all_your_coconut_oils

I believe what most of us buy now is equivalent to their Green Label oil. I think I'm going

Gold label Virgin Coconut Oil:
(The benefits of using it as a hair treatment here
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil_for_hair_treatment.htm)

This Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil is a truly unrefined coconut oil. This coconut oil is made on Mt. Banahaw and surrounding areas from organic coconuts. Coconuts are used fresh (within 24-48 hours of harvest) from small family farms on Mt. Banahaw and other rural places in Quezon Province, the coconut capital of the Philippines. Only the highest quality coconuts are hand-picked from each harvest. The volcanic soil of Mt. Banahaw makes these organic coconuts some of the most nutritionally rich coconuts in the world! Testing done in independent laboratories reveals higher levels of phenolic antioxidants than other coconut oils. The fresh coconut meat is shredded (wet milled), and then cold-pressed using the water from inside the coconuts to make coconut milk. The milk is then allowed to sit for about half a day, while the oil naturally separates from the heavier water. The oil is then filtered from the curds (coconut solids). No chemical or high-heat treatment is used, and this oil contains no trans fatty acids. We do NOT mass produce this oil. It is made by families who are coconut farmers using old-fashioned traditional methods that have been used in the Philippines for hundreds of years. Our coconut trees and family producers are certified organic according to strict USDA standards. The families who produce the oil are also trained according to GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) standards and re-certified each year. This high-grade Virgin Coconut Oil has a long shelf life due to the high antioxidant properties. The Gold Label standard is our highest standard for Virgin Coconut Oil.

Green Label Coconut Oil:
Tropical Traditions Green Label Virgin Coconut Oil is a high quality machine-made Virgin Coconut Oil. Certified organic fresh coconuts are first dried and then the oil is cold-pressed out by machine. As with other Virgin Coconut Oils, this oil retains the scent and taste of coconuts. Our Green Label Virgin Coconut Oil is made in a central location in the Philippines under strict quality control procedures to produce a consistent product that meets stringent USDA organic certification standards. This high quality Virgin Coconut Oil is NOT made from copra, but from certified organic fresh coconuts that are processed shortly after they are harvested. After the oil is cold-pressed out of the dried coconut meat, no further refining is needed.

Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil - Refined (no need to provide further details lol)

my1goodnerve

Yup, I use it in the warmer months, (castor oil for the cooler months). I found it when I was looking for coconut cream. I'm not sure that I would reorder the coconut oil since it doesn't do anything more than the less expensive brand that I can pick up at Whole Foods, but I would reorder the coconut cream.

so1913

Yup, I use it in the warmer months, (castor oil for the cooler months). I found it when I was looking for coconut cream. I'm not sure that I would reorder the coconut oil since it doesn't do anything more than the less expensive brand that I can pick up at Whole Foods, but I would reorder the coconut cream.

Ah, great! So you really didn't notice any difference between hand cold pressed and machine cold pressed oils? (which is the feedback I'm looking for).

naijamerican

Do you mind sharing your experience with coconut cream? Thank you in advance. :yep:

By the way, thanks for starting this thread So1913. I was about to place the order for this coconut oil last week, but decided against it in favor of the cheaper options at Whole Paycheck. If there's really a difference I want to know. :yep:

my1goodnerve

I was looking for something to help turn my daughter's hair around. Our textures are different and the products that worked for me weren't working for her. Kept seeing the coconut cream relaxer threads and youtube vidoes so I thought I'd try it. My dauhgter likes pre poo treatments and she doesn't like to sit under a dryer for deep conditioners, so this fit well into her very particular tastes. It was a good moisturizer for her thick
4b hair and I alternate using the coconut cream (with yogurt and honey), and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose a pree poo deep conditioning treatment.

Here's a link to a coconut cream dc recipe that I found a few months ago. I haven't tried this one, but it looks yummy.
http://public.fotki.com/Nigerian-Queen/moisturedc/

Last edited:

MizzBrit

i use the the green label one..smells heavenly..i only bought it cuz it was a deal but their quality is great