Silk Elements Was Good While It Lasted!!!

MizaniMami said:
BUUUUUT, unfortunately after only 3 weeks post relaxer my relaxer totally reverted. I am not 100% natural textured but it is texlaxed and only relaxed 55% (I was too gracious in the original post). WHY have Silk Elements forsaken thee?! It was so nice for those 3 weeks to have bone straight hair again. :cool: I wonder what happened?

Don't get me wrong my hair is nice and soft, but I know my hair, it will get hard and uncontrollable in about 3 more weeks. My hair turns unrely around 6-7 weeks post relaxer. I would be happy texlaxed if my hair stayed this soft.

For those who are wondering I relaxed/corrected with the Silk Elements Reg relaxer a few weeks ago. I didn't do anything different. I prepooed with Keraphix+oils, poo'd with Keracare, Dc'ed with Aveda DR+keracare, and used Keracare and Aveda DR as a leave-in-same routing for the last three weeks, one a week.

Silk Elements tricked me. But I know my problem, I need a relaxer that I can keep on longer, that won't burn. I might go back to No-Lye. I am thinking of ORS.:scratchch

PS: Yes I can post again, I never made Da Banned lol:lol:

*Mo runs into the thread and trips upon hearing this hair news alert....

*why am I feeling better now that I didn't cheat on Phyto?

*sowry girl...

Wow... I dont feel so bad about "underprocessing" my hair with SE Mild now. Its seems like its a widespread incident. I thought it was something I had did wrong in the "Protein Before Neutralizer" step while relaxing. Its funny I ran across this thread cuz I just finished relaxing my mom's coarse hair with the REG SE and she came out underprocessed too. I left it in for about 22 minutes too! Not as bad as I did, yet still not as straight as it normally comes out when I relax.

I will definately be trashing SE and going back to Affirm (which means that I will be going to my hairdresser for this). It/my hairdresser hasnt done me wrong yet.

MonaLisa said:
*Mo runs into the thread and trips upon hearing this hair news alert....

*why am I feeling better now that I didn't cheat on Phyto?

*sowry girl...

Girl right behind ya. This thread has curbed my SE curiosity. Pray that Phyto Inde 2 does the job I'm hoping because I really like Phyto's non-damaging effect.

EDIT: Searching reviews on relaxers & saw my post. Had to come back and edit to prevent others from making this mistake. lol

SE gave me the worst burns ( hug bald spots at my nape) & literally took out my entire crown! Finally recovering.
Oh & it does revert! hmph! hate that thing.

Last edited:
secretdiamond said:
I did it in the reverse order. I tried ORS and I HATED IT!!! It was good at first, but I QUICKLY realized why I didn't want no-lye. Tried SE once and I LOVE IT!! I tried the coarse one and it got me straight and stayed straight. It's the only relaxer besides revlon (back in the day) and no-lyes that did that for me in almost 2 years of switching relaxers!

SILK ELEMENTS FOR LIFE!!!!! :band:

*sorry had to rep for SE amongst all this hate* :lol:

I will be relaxing with SE on Thursday. My last relaxer was Affirm. I will pray to have the result you have and they stay that way. We will see....

I wonder what would make a relaxer revert. I thought the process permenatly altered the structure of the hair. When we relax our hair is straight and silky. Then weeks later it's curly / nappy again. How can that happen chemically?

Girl, I know the feeling. The same thing happened to me with ORS. My hair came out soooo soft and seemed bone straight when wet, but when it dried it wasn't quite as straight. Then, after a few weeks, forget it. It seemed like it was reverting every time I washed it.
But the last time I relaxed I used phyto II, and my hair actually came out bone straight. I'm into my sixth week since my last touch up, and I can't imagine why I used to relax at six weeks before. There has been NO reversion! The hair that was straight when I relaxed is still straight. And that really affects how your NG feels since it's only the NG that's coily. (I hope that makes sense).
I know it's exspensive, but it's sooo worth it. And if you do decide to try it, don't be like me and mix the whole thing. :nono: :lol:
Do what the directions say and only mix half; it's more than enough for a touch up; it doesn't look like it at first, but it is. :) And if you stretch your relaxers, then it won't be as bad. I relax every 10 wks now, so that means I only need to buy it about once every 5 months.

Ok so...i heard all the rave about SE and i went out and bought the mild relaxer to relax my hair this saturday. I have very sensitive scalp so did this relaxer burn anyone in the process of using this? I mean i can handle texlaxed hair cause i like the "more body" look in my hair. Did anyone else experience a straight look without the burn using this relaxer?

God's Anointed said:
Ok so...i heard all the rave about SE and i went out and bought the mild relaxer to relax my hair this saturday. I have very sensitive scalp so did this relaxer burn anyone in the process of using this? I mean i can handle texlaxed hair cause i like the "more body" look in my hair. Did anyone else experience a straight look without the burn using this relaxer?

not me. I burned but I used regular. And I have the burn marks to prove it in my album. I an't going back there again. I really thing it's a better quality relaxer - it just doesn't work for me.

czyfaith77 said:
I had this experience with both Vitale Lye regular and Silk Elements LYe Regular. My hair is coarse and I am considering going back to the coarse formula. I was very impressed with that. It lasted a long time.

I am retrtacting. I am going to stay with the regular. I just found out what made my hair have that response.It

I tried SE for the part of my hair that out (I'm back in a weave) and it worked o.k. But I think the healthier our hair gets the less it responds to relaxers. Or it could be the different vitamins we're taking that's making our hair so resistant. But the one perm that I found that works and doesn't burn is Mizani Sensitive. The regular will get you straight but I burn too quickly and after six month stretch, I need to leave the relaxer on for a minute!! A long minute!! So I suggest anyone in search of a different relaxer try that. But be warned if you have thick hair, you may need two. The containers are small.

kandegirl said:
I tried SE for the part of my hair that out (I'm back in a weave) and it worked o.k. But I think the healthier our hair gets the less it responds to relaxers. Or it could be the different vitamins we're taking that's making our hair so resistant. But the one perm that I found that works and doesn't burn is Mizani Sensitive. The regular will get you straight but I burn too quickly and after six month stretch, I need to leave the relaxer on for a minute!! A long minute!! So I suggest anyone in search of a different relaxer try that. But be warned if you have thick hair, you may need two. The containers are small.

Mizani has so many formulas!! Is the Sensitive scalp a no lye? They have a relaxer for fine / color treated hair that is lye. I wonder what's the difference and when one would be indicated over the other....??? Any ideas out there.

You may have a good point about the reasons why our hair may be resistant to relaxers. Intresting!

HoneyDew said:
TCB Naturals Original is the only one that works consistently on my hair. Silky and straight every time in the time mentioned on the instructions.

I cannot find it everywhere (walmarts, grocery store, etc) , but there are 2 BSS near me that carry it. I have given up on trying any others.
This used to be my only relaxer. I only switched after discovering this board, and learning about the pH of relaxers. However, I used it for years without any problems, so I sometimes regret switching. If Phyto lets me down this weekend, I might go back to it.

Anyways, I still see it at some Walgreens, and occasionally at the Sally near me that carries more Black hair products.

Princess Pie said:
This used to be my only relaxer. I only switched after discovering this board, and learning about the pH of relaxers. However, I used it for years without any problems, so I sometimes regret switching. If Phyto lets me down this weekend, I might go back to it.

Anyways, I still see it at some Walgreens, and occasionally at the Sally near me that carries more Black hair products.
Honey Dew and Princess Pie, are you guys talking about this one?
Nat_LyeRelaxerKit.gif
I think I saw that at Sally's recently...I'll keep my eye out for it. I know Honey Dew has been on the money when she tells about products. Its it really strong??

AtlantaJJ said:
Nat_LyeRelaxerKit.gif
I think I saw that at Sally's recently...I'll keep my eye out for it. I know Honey Dew has been on the money when she tells about products. Its it really strong??
48405b.jpg

These are the two boxes I've used, but I think the one you've found is the same. I never really thought of it as strong, until I found this board. It never gave me any problems.

Princess Pie said:
48405b.jpg

These are the two boxes I've used, but I think the one you've found is the same. I never really thought of it as strong, until I found this board. It never gave me any problems.

These are the ones I use and LOVE.

I have used the "New Value Size" one but I don't like it as much. It did not get my hair as straight.

I may revisit it if they discontinue the original one. I say that because it is harder to find for some reason.

But, a new BSS opened near me and they had a BUNCH of them. Maybe not all suppliers carry it or something.

Last edited:
AtlantaJJ said:
Nat_LyeRelaxerKit.gif

I don't like this one as much. I have seen that one at Sally, though. I have been tempted to try it again, but nothing gives me results like the original one.

Honestly, it is not "strong" - it is effective. No underprocessing. You use use it and it works in the time mentioned in the instructions. I get the same results EVERYTIME. WHen I stopped using it and starting trying other things is when my hair started doing crazy stuff.

The conditioner in there is AMAZING. Back in the day they used to sell it by the bottle but I can NEVER find it. It is so good.

Last edited:
The one with Olive Oil, Aloe and Henna seems like the bomb! People don't talk abou this one much at all. I'll keep my eyes peeled for that one then.

HoneyD is on the case. In terms of No Lye Relaxers, do you have any problems with dryness from the calcium buildup?

HoneyDew said:

I have used the "New Value Size" one but I don't like it as much. It did not get my hair as straight.

I may revisit it if they discontinue the original one. I say that because it is harder to find for some reason.

But, a new BSS opened near me and they had a BUNCH of them. Maybe not all suppliers carry it or something.

AtlantaJJ said:
The one with Olive Oil, Aloe and Henna seems like the bomb! People don't talk abou this one much at all. I'll keep my eyes peeled for that one then.

HoneyD is on the case. In terms of No Lye Relaxers, do you have any problems with dryness from the calcium buildup?

People never talk about that relaxer. Honestly, in the past I have mentioned it and people seem to ignore me. :look:

But, I have always used no-lye. I never have a problem. But, I use chelating shampoos regularly. I do it because of my water quality, but I am sure it helps with any chance that I might have a problem with calcium buildup.

Chelating Shamppos??

HoneyDew said:
People never talk about that relaxer. Honestly, in the past I have mentioned it and people seem to ignore me. :look:

But, I have always used no-lye. I never have a problem. But, I use chelating shampoos regularly. I do it because of my water quality, but I am sure it helps with any chance that I might have a problem with calcium buildup.

Honey Due Girl I listen to you and give you props all the time... you igggin me :look: Just kidding, I'm grateful for the great info you share with us all. Do you mind mentioning some of the chelating shampoos that you use, I'm thinking of going no-lye, and the only beef about it is that people tend to get calcium build up over time. I have Nexxus Aloe Rid, is that one?

Re: Chelating Shamppos??

AtlantaJJ said:
Honey Due Girl I listen to you and give you props all the time... you igggin me :look: Just kidding, I'm grateful for the great info you share with us all. Do you mind mentioning some of the chelating shampoos that you use, I'm thinking of going no-lye, and the only beef about it is that people tend to get calcium build up over time. I have Nexxus Aloe Rid, is that one?

I don't know nuthin' bout no No-lye calcium build up. :)

I have never used Aloe Rid. I only use Kenra Clarifying and Redken Cleansing cream. CON Clarifying is good, too, but those bottles are so small. I follow it up with Roux Porosity control shampoo most times or just try to stick with shampoos and sometimes even conditioners that contain Disodium EDTA or Tetrasodium EDTA. Those are chelators.

Okay, so I used SE Regular at my last relaxer and overprocessed my crown area and underprocessed the parameter of my hair because I had to wash out superfast due to the crown relaxing so fast and beginning to burn -- never happened to me before. Last night I tried the SE Mild. Today, I am underprocessed. I don't think its the relaxer though. I think it was me. I had been having so many shedding and breaking problems that I was scared to over process my hair so I went OVERBOARD on basing my scalp and protecting my previously relaxed hair. I based my entire scalp with one of my hairdress cremes on Wednesday night. On thursday morning, I did it again and bunned my hair. When I got ready to relax my hair last night, I based all around my edges with a thick petroleum and then used a cheapo (but thick) conditioner - Burt's Bees all over my previously relaxed hair. Alot of this may have leaked down and covered some of my newgrowth or maybe the hairdress did because it was applied to my scalp. My hair felt weird when I did the rinse out...dry...I noticed I had waves and then my comb out was very tangly. I lost a lot of hair detangling but I'll survive. This morning...my hair is pretty gorgeous though. It has grown like crazy despite my shedding but is somewhat thinner. I'm going to see how my hair does over the next few weeks. If I have to touchup early, I'll be very careful. I try SE Mild for the corrective, if I have to, and if it doesn't do the do then I'll go back to old faithful - Designer's Touch Mild. No one ever talks about that relaxer on the boards...hmmm...new thread time.:lachen:

Cayenne0622 said:
Okay, so I used SE Regular at my last relaxer and overprocessed my crown area and underprocessed the parameter of my hair because I had to wash out superfast due to the crown relaxing so fast and beginning to burn -- never happened to me before. Last night I tried the SE Mild. Today, I am underprocessed. I don't think its the relaxer though. I think it was me. I had been having so many shedding and breaking problems that I was scared to over process my hair so I went OVERBOARD on basing my scalp and protecting my previously relaxed hair. I based my entire scalp with one of my hairdress cremes on Wednesday night. On thursday morning, I did it again and bunned my hair. When I got ready to relax my hair last night, I based all around my edges with a thick petroleum and then used a cheapo (but thick) conditioner - Burt's Bees all over my previously relaxed hair. Alot of this may have leaked down and covered some of my newgrowth or maybe the hairdress did because it was applied to my scalp. My hair felt weird when I did the rinse out...dry...I noticed I had waves and then my comb out was very tangly. I lost a lot of hair detangling but I'll survive. This morning...my hair is pretty gorgeous though. It has grown like crazy despite my shedding but is somewhat thinner. I'm going to see how my hair does over the next few weeks. If I have to touchup early, I'll be very careful. I try SE Mild for the corrective, if I have to, and if it doesn't do the do then I'll go back to old faithful - Designer's Touch Mild. No one ever talks about that relaxer on the boards...hmmm...new thread time.:lachen:

I've been thinking about using SE mild next time with a petroleum base. But after hearing this maybe I'll stick with the regular and Add the thicker base? Keep us posted. I'm only 3 weeks post so it will be a while b4 I do anything.

Thx

kandegirl said:
But the one perm that I found that works and doesn't burn is Mizani Sensitive. The regular will get you straight but I burn too quickly

Personally I think we need to get what works and stick with me. I'm still searching because I haven't found anything that works, which is why I bought the SE coarse. I've had to learn the hard way, that what works for one does not work for all. Personally all strengths of Mizani leave me underprocessed. Same for my sis & mom.

HoneyDew What's Diff about the Value Size?

HoneyDew said:

I just saw the value size at a BSS it was all she had. Do you think they changed the formula??

Back