Silk Elements Relaxer

kbody4

First off, I couldn't make to Labor Day to relax my hair, so I failed the challenge :ohwell: I am proud of myself that I made it to 10 weeks. I decided to try the Silk Elements Lye Relaxer (mild) and all I can say is my hair :love: :love: :love: No burning at all!! My last relaxer was bantu mild so I kicked it to the curb :lol:

Because of the rave reviews about Silk Elements, I never would have thought twice about using this relaxer. This is a keeper :)

tenderheaded

Welcome to the Silk Elements relaxer club:grin: I'm so glad you got great results. I've got a 4 lb tub I'm opening in 2 wks. That small tub in June told me all I needed to know.

Let's keep spreading the word!!!!

chayil0427

This is good to know....I'm looking for a new relaxer....Motions burned me very badly and I had to wash it out before it had hardly straightened anything. I was very disappointed. I'll keep an eye out for Silk Elements when it's time for a retouch. BTW... what are you self relaxing tips? (Pushin her thread like a dealer :lachen: ) See my thread and post up if you have any.

Chayil

kbody4

tenderheaded said:
Welcome to the Silk Elements relaxer club:grin: I'm so glad you got great results. I've got a 4 lb tub I'm opening in 2 wks. That small tub in June told me all I needed to know.

Awww thanks tenderheaded!! :lol:
I was in Sally's on Saturday agonizing over if I should get the 4lb tub or the small container. So I went with the tub and boy, did I make a good decision!! Bantu mild was getting rough. I got tired of my scalp being on fire within 5 minutes :lol:

kbody4

chayil0427 said:
This is good to know....I'm looking for a new relaxer....Motions burned me very badly and I had to wash it out before it had hardly straightened anything. I was very disappointed. I'll keep an eye out for Silk Elements when it's time for a retouch. BTW... what are you self relaxing tips? (Pushin her thread like a dealer :lachen: ) See my thread and post up if you have any.
Chayil

:lachen: That's ok!! Here's what I do:

I part my hair in four sections.
I lightly based my scalp with an oil
I like to start towards the back because I have more newgrowth and work my way up. I do this one section at a time. Then I work the front sections one at a time. It takes me about 15 minutes.

Some ladies like to use oil in their relaxers to slow down processing time on the hair. I never tried it, but I don't have to with Silk Elements.
I hope this helps Chayil. Maybe more ladies can chime in and give tips! I know everyone does different things.

shunta

Congratulations!!:lol: Im so happy for you. Yeah, everybody talks about how good Silk Elements relaxer is. Im jumping on the bandwagon, too. For my next retouch, I plan on using the regular lye. Wish me luck!!!:)

Radianthealth

I love this relaxer...It has made me independent. I no longer have to rely on a stylist that does not have my best interests in mind!!!:D

Cayenne0622

You guys are making me want to try this stuff but I'm soooooooooo scurred. My last 2 relaxers were Affirm and I'm still not sure if this is the relaxer I love yet! I guess its okay but I haven't ooo'd and ahhh'd over it like you guys are doing about silk elements. I also don't want to keep bouncing from relaxer to relaxer. I was using designer's touch prior to affirm.

kbody4

shunta said:
Congratulations!!:lol: Im so happy for you. Yeah, everybody talks about how good Silk Elements relaxer is. Im jumping on the bandwagon, too. For my next retouch, I plan on using the regular lye. Wish me luck!!!:)

Shunta, I wish you all the luck in the world with Silk Elements!! I think I have hand in hair disease now, I mean I can't stop touching it, or finding a excuse to comb my hair :lol:

kbody4

trimbride said:
I love this relaxer...It has made me independent. I no longer have to rely on a stylist that does not have my best interests in mind!!!:D
I know what you mean, I've been independent of stylist since high school. You have so much extra time if you take care of your own hair. Love it!!!! :grin:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
tenderheaded said:
Welcome to the Silk Elements relaxer club:grin:

Oh, trust me, I tell everybody.

And if you think it's good the first time, it gets even better the next time.

Long Live SE!:notworthy

CreoleBelle

I really want to start using Silk Elements Mild to texlax my hair, but my stylist refuses to use it:( . He said he's mastered Revlon, so he can relax my hair as much or as less as I need to achieve the required results. He's not familiar with Silk Elements, so he won't use it. I find that the Revlon relaxer smells strong and it also burns my scalp. I'm not good at doing anything to my own hair, so I'm definitely afraid to self-relax. How can I get him to try the Silk Elements relaxer?????

yourleoqueen

Cayenne0622 said:
You guys are making me want to try this stuff but I'm soooooooooo scurred. My last 2 relaxers were Affirm and I'm still not sure if this is the relaxer I love yet! I guess its okay but I haven't ooo'd and ahhh'd over it like you guys are doing about silk elements. I also don't want to keep bouncing from relaxer to relaxer. I was using designer's touch prior to affirm.
I was using Designers Touch Straight FX before I started using SE. I only switched because I couldn't find the DT anymore, but I am SO glad I did. Give SE a chance, I know you'll love it!

yourleoqueen

CreoleBelle said:
I really want to start using Silk Elements Mild to texlax my hair, but my stylist refuses to use it...He's not familiar with Silk Elements, so he won't use it...How can I get him to try the Silk Elements relaxer?????
How you gone let some one tell YOU what can and cannot be put onto your hair?! Okay, wait a minute...I'm calm. If you wanna switch relaxers that is your right as the owner of yo head! He should either use the relaxer you want, or you should find a stylist who realizes that YOU are paying them and not the other way around.

Last edited:

Aquamarie

Okay I'm going to have to try this. I was going to try to strech my relaxer for another couple of weeks but I can't do it and seeing this post is like a sign. I'm getting this after work.

Thanks Kbody and all the other ladies.

Kimberly

CreoleBelle said:
I really want to start using Silk Elements Mild to texlax my hair, but my stylist refuses to use it:( . He said he's mastered Revlon, so he can relax my hair as much or as less as I need to achieve the required results. He's not familiar with Silk Elements, so he won't use it. I find that the Revlon relaxer smells strong and it also burns my scalp. I'm not good at doing anything to my own hair, so I'm definitely afraid to self-relax. How can I get him to try the Silk Elements relaxer?????

I think if you really want to try Silk Elements, go to Sally's, pick up the relaxer, take it with you when you go to get your retouch and say "I want to try this relaxer", and hand it to him. Most hairdressers that I know of still charge the same price whether you bring your own relaxer or not but, if you want to ask him about it, do it before he applies relaxer to your head "Now, do I get a discount since I brought my own relaxer?" The worse he can say is "no" but if ya'll have a good relationship, he may knock about $5 off.

And, if he does this for you, be sure to tip maybe a couple of dollars extra.

This is just an idea. I hope not to offend anyone.

Kimberly

ooops, reading the thread, I forgot what I meant to post...

I just picked up the 4lb tub yesterday. I had planned to wait until after Labor Day to relax but my hair is so thick and out of control, I don't think I'm going to be able to hold out any longer. If I get out of class early tonight, I'm going for it.

I'm glad you got such good results! I hope to get good results too.:D

syze6

Can you only but this from Sally's? What's so great about it? Does it relax well and moisturize also?

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
syze6 said:
Can you only but this from Sally's? What's so great about it? Does it relax well and moisturize also?

Yes, you have to go to Sally's (even though some people on other boards might have you think otherwise). Maybe I'm just crazy (or just a SE fanatic) but this relaxer really does turn my hair to silk, lol.

kbody4

Aquamarie said:
Okay I'm going to have to try this. I was going to try to strech my relaxer for another couple of weeks but I can't do it and seeing this post is like a sign. I'm getting this after work.

Thanks Kbody and all the other ladies.
Your welcome!! Let us know how it turns out :)

kbody4

I just updated my Fotki to show how my hair looks after relaxing with Silk Elements. Feel free to take a look :)

yourleoqueen

B_Phlyy said:
Yes, you have to go to Sally's (even though some people on other boards might have you think otherwise).
Okay, yeah, I read those posts and was thinking WTH?! What was that about? Hadn't she read where it is only supposed to be available at SALLY? Is it possible that the asian BSS she goes to is buying it from Sally and reselling it at a jacked up price? Is that even legal?

Either way, I hope for her sake she is getting the real product jus paying way too much for it, cuz the other possibility is scary.

ETA: The BSS that the lady on the other forum says she bought her SE relaxer from is black owned.

Last edited: