AAAARRGGGH! Silk Elements Mid relaxer--I'm itching to relax!

Crystalicequeen123

Okay, I'm only about 10 weeks post relaxer, and my hair is SOO thick and unmanageable at the roots! :(

About 10 weeks ago, I had my stylist put in the Silk Elements mild relaxer in my hair. I had never tried this relaxer before, so my scalp was itching ( I had scratched prior) and plus I was afraid of overprocessing. Well, needless to say, after 15 min. my stylist washed the relaxer out of my hair at my request. Well...I would say my hair looked "freshly relaxed" maybe a week or two after my relaxer.

Ever since then however, my hair looks like I didn't even get a relaxer in it! My roots are SOOO thick! Now, I LOVE the thickness that I have towards the roots since my hair is naturally fine-textured, but I'm just afraid that this relaxer may be TOO mild for my hair. :cry3: My hair has been shedding like mad, I have to use a heating iron on my roots so that they match the rest of my hair on my head, and I've been getting so fed up with it that I've been DYING to relax my hair at 10 weeks instead of waiting the usual 12-14 weeks.

What should I DO?? Should I just go ahead and relax my hair next week? Or, should I wait at least until 12 weeks post? I dont' know what to do. I've never wanted to relax my hair so much after this relaxer. I told my stylist that I would like to try Silk Elements Mild again because I LOVE how thick my hair is getting, but I would like to leave the relaxer on for the full 20 minutes this time. Is this a good idea? Or, should I just use my usual relaxer or use the regular strength version of Silk Elements?

-Does anyone else find that the Silk Elements Mild relaxer is TOO mild for their hair?
-Did anyone elses' hair "revert" after using this relaxer?

Iv'e heard such good things about this relaxer, and I don't want to switch again, but if others have been having the same complaints, then I may just switch back to my tried and true Design Essentials lo-lye w/shea butter. :ohwell:

Oh! I'm type 4a/b by the way.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Next go round, try going for the full processing time. I'm sure it'll make a big difference :yep: Or maybe mild is just TOO mild for you. Have you ever tried regular strength SE relaxer? I love SE relaxers, but I use no-lye. Shiny, straight hair every time :)

I think you should wait another week. Since you relax every 12 weeks, 11 weeks won't make much of a difference :D

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
My hair is really fine also, but I was too scared to use the mild cause it may be too mild. So I went with the Reg and it was perfect. My hair seems thicker than before but not in an underprocess way.

myronnie

This happened to me early on in my hair care journey..
I relaxed with Silk Elements Lye Mild Relaxer when was 16 weeks post relaxer and the relaxer did really NOTHING at all..after it my hair was so unmanagable, my hair was shedding balls(really this was just because the hair couldn't go out of my poofball mess) and i had tangles and breakage and dreads.
This was kind of a setback..but i had to wait 8 weeks to apply ORS No-Lye REGULAR. I used two boxes to relax all of the new growth as well as the underprocessed growth and my hair was back to normal after that..I was so happy.
It'll be a grueling 8 weeks (or 6 weeks..) but I suggest deep conditioning twice per week..protein once every two weeks and adequate moisturizing. AND don't skimp on the detangling..don't let the tangles creep up on you.
Good luck!!

Crystalicequeen123

My hair is really fine also, but I was too scared to use the mild cause it may be too mild. So I went with the Reg and it was perfect. My hair seems thicker than before but not in an underprocess way.

Thanks for the input. :up:

So, how long did you leave the regular strength in your hair? The full 20 minutes? I'm just scared that if I use the regular, my hair will be back to being fine and limp again. :(

Next go round, try going for the full processing time. I'm sure it'll make a big difference :yep: Or maybe mild is just TOO mild for you. Have you ever tried regular strength SE relaxer? I love SE relaxers, but I use no-lye. Shiny, straight hair every time :)

No, I have not tried the SE regular...yet. :look: I was afraid that the regular would process me TOO much since I've heard other ladies on this forum say that this relaxer burned their scalp easily. :ohwell: I'm too afraid to try no-lye since me and no-lye relaxers dont' mix. :nono:

*sigh* I think I'll try to go the full 20 minutes with this mild relaxer next time, and if it STILL underprocesses me then I'll try the regular strength.

I think you should wait another week. Since you relax every 12 weeks, 11 weeks won't make much of a difference :D

Yeah, I agree. I'm going to just relax next week at 12 weeks since I'll be going out of town in two weeks. I'll have her leave the mild relaxer on my hair for 20 minutes instead of 15, and see what happens!

TracyNicole

I used SE mild for my touch up 3 weeks ago instead of phyto. I have 4b hair and all it gave me was a H.A.M.! My hair was cute for like a week. I washed it then and when that set dried I was looking like how in the hell I got roots when I just had a relaxer! I am going to the salon next week and I am going to let her pull relaxer just near the roots to straighten that mess out.

Crystalicequeen123

I used SE mild for my touch up 3 weeks ago instead of phyto. I have 4b hair and all it gave me was a H.A.M.! My hair was cute for like a week. I washed it then and when that set dried I was looking like how in the hell I got roots when I just had a relaxer! I am going to the salon next week and I am going to let her pull relaxer just near the roots to straighten that mess out.

Uh-oh.... :nono:

*sigh* OKay, now I'm debating on whether or not I should try the mild again! ugh. I dont' know what to do. I think I'm going to get my hair relaxed tomorrow. My stylist can't do my hair again until LATE next week, and I don't think I can wait that long! (My hair is shedding like crazy)

So...what is it? The regular? Or the mild? Does anyone get BONE straight hair with the Silk Elements regular strength relaxer? I DO NOT want bone-straight hair, and I'm liking the thickness of the milder formula...BUT it's just leaving me a little under processed. My hair looked cute for like 2 weeks, and then it looked like I didn't even get a touch up! Ummm....not cute! :nono:

*sigh* I just don't want fine, limp, thin hair! Arrrgh!

Menina Preta

Hmm...I haven't used SE, but I think you should go with the regular and leave it on for 15 minutes, instead of 20 or whatever the full processing time is. IMO, to combat limp, thin hair, I would think it would be best to be slightly underprocessed, so your natural texture could give you more body and more thickness. It sounds like the mild left you too underprocessed, so I'd try the regular...However, with that said, you did also say that you scratched, so maybe if you leave the mild on longer, you'll get the effect you wish. Good luck!