Shingling- Post Your Before & After Pics

Ok ladies, I have a bone to pick with some of you. You guys got me excited about doing the shingling method thinking about trying something new and what do I get , a HFM. :lachen: Some of us don't have curl definition. My back has it but my front is just straight and frizzy. I kind of knew this wasn't going to work, that's why I did a test curl. If anybody again suggest getting curl definition by some method we are going to:catfight:

I think I learned to solve a similar problem that I had quite by accident. I did an aphogee treatment because I flatironed my hair. And it was like night and day with respect to the curl definition the next time I wore a wash and wear. Better definition. I unfortunately don't have close up pictures of my hair. Maybe you could try this. You never know, you might be surprised.

DMJ's Mom

ButterCaramel: Can you please tell me what products you used there?
All I used was Mane N' Tail conditioner. I cowashed with rinsed it, half out of it, detangled with a cushion (or my knock off denman I can't remember which) shook it out and went about my day

serenity326

Serenity, girl my eyeballs almost fell outta my head seeing your shingling pics. Your hair looked awesome. If mine came out like that I would be tempted to do that style everyday. Gon head wit yo bad self!

Here are my pics (they're a bit old). I haven't shingled in awhile, but this thread is making me reconsider why I'm not.

Before (or my normal look):

After (I think I should have finger separated the curls some more):

I don't think I did that good of a job. I just got a couple weirdly fat curls. I'll have to try this again and do a better job.

This is pretty, girlie, and thanks for the compliment!

I tried shingling today and feel like a complete hair failure. My hair looked a mess and I hated it.

I'm sorry, hun... Sometimes we just have to keep searching for what works for our hair... I have a friend with coarse hair who does flat twistouts, and she gets the kind of definition and fullness from them that I would love to have! Don't give up on looking for what works for you... Do you have pics of the shingling? Maybe people could make suggestions based on how it came out...

shingling ponytails:

whole head shingled w/ KCCC:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/kinky curly trrial 1 Dec 08/Christmascardpictures08111.jpg

Sooooo purrtyyy! :lovedrool:

I didn't know it was called shingling but this is how my version of it came out.
Before:
Hosted on Fotki

After:
Hosted on Fotki
This looks alot like my hair around that length:

Potential hair fam? :grin:

princesslocks

I thought I was going to walk in here and be blown away at all the shingling pics... but where are they!?!?! I have tried it a couple times, with mixed results, but will share anyway...

This is from my BC in Mar, 2007, and was shingled with Ms. Jessies Curly Pudding:
BEFORE:

AFTER:

This is after she stretched it with heat:

This picture is from that summer, and is a type of shingling process (brushing the product through and letting it dry), and was done with eco-styler gel and cantu shea butter leave-in

Here is a shingle I did myself, a year after my BC using curly pudding (not that cute, especially from the front, but at least you get the picture):

Another photo of something similar to shingling, but it was done with pantene hydrating curls conditioner instead of curly pudding (brushed through with a denman brush and in the process of air drying):

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes if you all try it! :grin:

Just beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!
You make me want to transition. :yep:
Did you use gel with the Pantene Hydrating Con?

yodie

Don't feel like a failure, not all naturals have curly hair.

So, how do I make this style work for me?

I guess the great thing about this is that I'm learning about my hair. Seems like only the front piece and back end of my hair has curl pattern.

My hair just touches the top of my shoulder. Is that long enough to have a nice shingle?

I'm trying to learn and catch up with you ladies, but I feel inept when it comes to the hair dept. I'm praying and asking God to help. Maybe the KCCC isn't the best method for me.

I think I have tight, frizzy 4b hair. Sometimes all I see is frizz and no curl pattern. Any suggestions ladies? I'll try it as I really want to get this style right.

Evolving78

i think i would need to wait to do this when my hair is longer because my shrinkage is something fierce! my hair is really coily and i get really good definition with gel or conditioner, but i don't know about curly.

SEMO

Okay, all these lovely photos inspired me to try shingling again. So here's my newest attempt that I just did today. I'm not good at shingling, so this is a combo of shingling and finger styling.

Before (from when I was having a bad hair day):

After:

I like my results better this time around.

ETA:
My hair is still wet in the "after" photos. I'll have to take some more once my hair dries.

Last edited:

Black Hoya Chick

Okay, all these lovely photos inspired me to try shingling again. So here's my newest attempt that I just did today. I'm not good at shingling, so this is a combo of shingling and finger styling.

Before (from when I was having a bad hair day):

After:

ETA:
My hair is still wet in the "after" photos. I'll have to take some more once my hair dries.

:blush: wow :lick:

Cheleigh

((Sigh)) WHY do you all post these things, all these pretty photos?

I can't even be bothered to detangle or DC, why do you encourage me to try to shingle (which means I need to detangle first).

I hate you people.

((leaving to make a purchase to attempt shingling))
:auto:

Evolving78

OT, but does anyone have the denman 41 brush? can you use that for shingling? it looks a little safer then the classic 3 or 4.

laurend

I guess the great thing about this is that I'm learning about my hair. Seems like only the front piece and back end of my hair has curl pattern.

My hair just touches the top of my shoulder. Is that long enough to have a nice shingle?

I'm trying to learn and catch up with you ladies, but I feel inept when it comes to the hair dept. I'm praying and asking God to help. Maybe the KCCC isn't the best method for me.

I think I have tight, frizzy 4b hair. Sometimes all I see is frizz and no curl pattern. Any suggestions ladies? I'll try it as I really want to get this style right.

The front of my hair is wavy/kinky and frizzy, it doesn't have a definite curl pattern and I've come to accept that. I don't straighten my hair and I don't pull it back often, so it's my hair and I won't waste my time trying to shingle. Let me know if you find something that will make none curly hair curl.

Sunshine_One

Beautiful pics in this thread!

Below are few of my shingled 2nd day hair. I was in a rush and did not get to take before pictures. Next time I will document the whole process.

I used the Miss Jessie's method and products. I applied a little MJ Baby Butter cream and then used added MJ Curly Meringue. I still have the old formulas (w/o mineral oil in meringue and very lil in butter cream) of both products. Don't know what I will do when they run out. :(

HTH

Attachments

• DSCF0389.jpg
    DSCF0389.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCF0386.jpg
    DSCF0386.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCF0384.jpg
    DSCF0384.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

serenity326

Just beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!
You make me want to transition. :yep:
Did you use gel with the Pantene Hydrating Con?

No gel - just conditioner... Used the denman and the technique from this website: http://biracialhair.org/Curly primer.html

I think its enough to shingle, but if your hair shoulder length straightened, it will be much shorter shingled (since there is still some curl to your hair).

ETA:

These are GREAT, Semo! :)

productjunkie814

I don't shingle very often, but I did this weekend. I used Pantene Hydrating Curls which I co-wash with occasionally and brushed out with a denman. As you can see, the reason I don't do it often because shingling just magnifies the schizo nature of my hair...sooo many different textures going on there:wallbash:. I have embraced the crazy:spinning:

First pic is naked hair, second is wet, third is dry.

Attachments

• Naked Hair 4.jpg
    Naked Hair 4.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 279
  • Shingling - Wet (3).jpg
    Shingling - Wet (3).jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 270
  • Shingling - Dry (3).jpg
    Shingling - Dry (3).jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 277

Ediese

My daughter has this problem. If you pull you hair back all the time, you can loose the curl in the front. With my daugther, we just do something cute in the front like some flat twist or I pull it back with a flower clip like Nicey Nash on Clean houe or some type of barrette and I leave the back curly. Very cute

OH!! That must be what's happening with my hair. Cripes! It's not curling as much in the front because I'm always slicking it back in a bun.

The first 2 are thumbnails for the PDA Ladies.

Natural Before

Natural After

Results with Ms Jessies

Relaxed - After

Results w/ Herbal Essence Conditioner - sorry to be vague.. this was about.. 3 years ago

so1913

These are from a few years ago...

Top of hair:

Non-Shingled

Shingled (@ Miss Jessie's w/ Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding)