Natural Women: What period of time was the most challenging in your transition?

What period of time was the most challenging in your transtion?

• Total voters

Nerd.

Wow. I would like to thank you all for your honest replies. Before deciding to consider this transition, I had never even stretched my relaxers. So not only are you helping myself, but other women on this challenging journey that, frankly, not many chose to embark on.
As far as the poll, im seeing a HUGE trend amongst most of you all's answers.

I didn't have much support from my family who was relaxed, and kept telling me to put a perm on my hair. but I had a hair goal, and stuck with it.

:yep: I love to hear things like this. Very encouraging

The first 6 months were the most challenging for me. I had no idea what to do with my hair and I didn't own a flatiron. I stayed away from heat about 80% of the time and I had to become a DIY'er, that was very hard. Months 6 thru 10 weren't exactly perfect but I was at least getting the hang of it.

Oye BostonMaria, Nunca me creerias...
pero your journey was actually the thing that truly drove me to give this transition a shot. Helpful stuff in that fotki of yours. So thank you

Last edited:

PrincessLinzz

The most challenging for me was when my hair looked like half Cree Summer/half Jada Pinkett. It was like uber wavy and curly at the roots and the shaft and the ends were super straight. It was weird but over time my texture changed and became only wavy. I hated the transition, but I strongly feel it is so worth it!

People ask me about my hair all the time and just saying its natural with no relaxer is just a great feeling! (I'm weird, I know.) HA!

Good Luck!

Nerd.

I would love to be able to say that myself. I think it's so rewarding to know and say that the fabolosity of one's hair was achieved without the aid of a chemical.

Last edited:

Duchesse

Well, I'm not natural but I was for many years before I decided to relax my hair, now I'm transitioning again. The hardest period for me in my past transitions always occurred around month 6. At that point I experienced much breakage and matting. My hair is on the thicker side of the equation, esp. in the crown, and it was very hard for me to get the two textures to work together. I was also in the "gotta be cute at all times" mindset, and viewed my hair and looks in a negative light.

I found myself in the mindset of just BCing, but didn't want to go through the weird awkward stage of natural hair, so I always ran back to the relaxer. If I remained patient and focused on moisturizing my new growth more and DCing, I'm pretty sure I could have transitioned longer and curbed the breakage.

But now I'm determined to stick it through and transition for at least a year.

Songbirdb

Maybe about 6 months into my transition, it was very hard....8 months was unbearable. But once I got past the 10 month period and began deep conditioning on a regular, then it became very tolerable. Then I just became axious because I wanted to be free from relaxed ends. I wasn't supposed to chop until 2yrs, I chopped after 14months.

Nerd.

I found myself in the mindset of just BCing, but didn't want to go through the weird awkward stage of natural hair

Good point. Can any of you relate to a long "awkward stage" during your journey? I'm more than positive that this is a scary thought in the minds of all transitioners...

or just mine. im awkward enough.