Anyone thinking of throwing in the "NATURAL" towel for 2012?

Gotta say I was looking at my relaxed photos and was so tempted to relax but then I thought about that $70 every 8 weeks to get it retouched and KIM!

Like everyone else said, you do what you need to do for you!

I have considered heat training because i get so many ssk's but not relaxing. I will be like Im gonna heat train until my wash day comes I see my curls and fall back in love lol

I'm 14 months into my transition and even though I have my ups an downs my natural hair intrigues me. There are times when I admire those with relaxed and texlaxed hair it's something I dont want to put my hair through.

I've been natural for half a decade now and I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about relaxing (or locking). Natural hair is not for the faint of heart, it is WORK, but on the other hand my hair has never been this long and healthy.

I love being natural, including the up and downs. Its all a learning process for me. I been natural for almost 6 years now. I did a lot of damage to my hair along the way and now I have learned to be patient and I have learned to be happy with my hair just the way it is. I am not fighting it anymore it will grow in its own way on its own time and after watching the curly method I think I have found my niche. of course my hair is armpit in the back and shoulder length in the front. and shrinks up to above my ear length when I add the conditioner, Whatever, this is how its going to be from now on.

I have no intentions on ever relaxing again (as of right now). I've been completely relaxer free for 13 months and natural 4 months. My hair is so much healthier relaxer free. Originally I had plans to be a heat styled natural but now I'm to afraid of destroying my curl pattern that I'm afraid to flat iron. I really do thank God that my natural hair has been growing like a weed since bc'ing & I've found products that work for my hair needs.

Sent from my fancy Sprint HTC EVO using LHCF.

That's great that you found a natural hairdresser who's so helpful.

As for me, I have no interest in relaxing ever again.

Things get easier for me over time. As others have mentioned, patience has really helped, and I've been through trial & error with different products and tools.

Deep conditioning and the occasional use of a clarifying & chelating shampoo are a good idea, like others mentioned. I'm glad your hairdresser did that.

What "towel" and why are people being forced to "hang in there" over some hair?

If it's not working out for you and you've done all you can to make it work, then do what you feel is necessary for you.

It's just hair. You can always go natural again if you want, no big deal.

I've never experienced "challenges" being natural, so I can't identify. I don't make my hair do things it can't and I love it for what it can.

ITA @jada1111...I wish I could "THANK" this post more than once.

I have been natural, relaxed, and now texlaxed, all three "styles" for a number of years. But, all I really care about is having long, healthy hair, and I have seen the most success with texlaxing...so this is where I will remain.

OP, I suggest doing what's best for you, and I wish you success with your decision.

Last edited:
My hair seems healthier relaxed than natural. Ive been on lhcf for almost 10 yrs so im not talking out of my *** lol. Do what works for your hair

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SGH-T959V

I can't say that I have never thought about relaxing, but I would have to do some serious research on self relaxing because I don't know if I will trust another stylist with my hair. After two years I can finally say that I know what my hair likes and dislikes and I can see some real progress. I also embraced my hair just how it is (fine, thin, low porosity, 4a/4b) instead of comparing it others.

I'll be texlaxing in 2012 after 6.5 yrs natural. I enjoyed parts of the journey (no chemicals :grin:) and disliked others (detangling :nono:). My plan is to only use a chemical 3 times per year and see how that goes... It really is about finding what works best for you and your lifestyle!

Last edited:
The TWA phase is one of the toughest!! I knew that going into this final BC. So I planned. I wore extensions and wigs once my cut started growing into a TWA so that I wouldn't be tempted to cut or texlax. It worked! After a year, I had enough hair to work with and I found a few staple styles.

As much as I love my short texlaxed hair, I have not felt as sexy as I do with my big braidout or picked out fro. Once I started working with my hair (its limitations, texture, and curl/poof), haircare became so much easier. Now, I am also a natural for life!

I'm a coily/curly/poofy natural, if that matters...

I already did! I Texlaxed the end of October . My hair still LOOKS natural, but it is easier to deal with and the curl pattern is looser.

I thought about it today. I think I'm fed up of Cantu leave-in, fed up of not having straight hair that's not heavy enough to "fall right" when flat ironed, and the continuous splits and SSKs (though these have gotten better and I am retaining more, they are still annoying).
However straight hair without some kind of layered cut doesn't fit me, and I don't want to change my hair in a way that will start to grow out over time, be that dye (yeah, I got over that) or relaxers.

for those thinking about relaxing i would just encourage you to seriously think about the reason you went natural in the first place. for me it was:

1. to learn about my natural texture and manage it as an adult woman.
2. i love BIG, thick hair. Like, my dream was a Rudy Huxtable ponytail.

although i accomplished goal #1, learning about my natural texture, there is NO WAY i can achieve the same level of thickness on relaxed hair.

if you accomplished the goals you set out to achieve then you won't regret if you decide to relax. :)

i will reiterate what i said in another post that for me length made a difference. in other words, patience really paid off. there's something nice about having the biggest hair in the room :grin:

i will rock a lazy style i had at shorter length and random strangers will walk up to me to talk about my hair. i mean full conversations.in the cafeteria, the emergency room :look:, on the street. more importantly, it takes less effort to achieve a certain look be it an updo or braid out (the longer the hair the fewer the braids). the only thing that's more complicated are my detangling sessions once every 2 weeks.

Based on my experience, which has been too many re-BCs from perming, heat damage, dyeing and not taking care of my hair, the answer is no!

A life of perms, heat curling for more volume, then weaves to hide the heat damage, then twist extensions to stop the hairline damage from weaves, then wigs because I wanted access to my hair just exhausted the hell out of me.

I didn't 'go natural' but decided to 'remain natural'. I LOVE Bardot's luscious fullness (extensions :) Eva Marcille's caramel blonde, Nia Long's pixies, Rita Hayworth's hairline, Aishwarya Rai's silkiness and Rapunzel's length but....I can get that with wigs :)

Like LovelyNaps26, I'd evaluate why I decided to remain natural, which for me was:

#1 My hair always suffered when I got a perm and broke off
#2 I was becoming a more eco-centric person
#3 I lusted after the full, bold hair of my childhood
#4 Men seemed to drool over the confidence of natural women (vain, but.... hell y'all)
#5 I was ashamed of my thin, lifeless locks and lying about my weaves (SMH)
#6 It pained me to know that I was ashamed of anyone ever seeing my curly/coily hair and how obsessed I was with maintaining a straight look because without it I was less beautiful and desirable. I had inherited and internalized this shame and it was eating away at me and I wanted to be free of all of it.

It's different for everyone but I came from a background where natural curls were 'hideous' and to be hidden. Straight hair wasn't a 'fun alternative' to beautiful natural hair, but a necessity. But happily, the paradigm is shifting in the opposite direction.

This isn't everyone's story just an honest reflection of how I felt. I've gone straight, SEVERAL times and wound up right back where I began, with the same hair and ego damage back to super healthy, lush, soft, coily curls (naturals just love to brag) and won't choose to straighten my hair in any way again.

I'm confident you'll find what's right for you, thanks for throwing an honest question out there. In the meantime stock up on KCKT and try a few wigs :))) - good luck!

I'm 18 months into my transition (Can I give my 2 cents? lol). I am not returning to relaxers because the cons outweighed the pros for me. Also, throughout my transition, I'm learning the many moods of my hair. While some of those moods are difficult (SSKs), the good moods (e.g. thickness, fullness, volume) are great. Whenever I have the urge for straight hair, there's always the flat iron or blow out.

I wish you the best in your decision.

Yes, my hair is making me cry these days. It is so depressing. Extreme dryness (due to the HUGE MISTAKE of permanent color/bleach) and single strand knots. I had at least 12-15 broken hairs this morning as I detangled. I've tried porosity control (although not consistently), DCing, Co-wash...(although again, not consistently)....perhaps it is my own fault, but it is still frustrating.

I decided that I would try being consistent for once before actually giving up. I love my natural hair and have received SO many compliments....those people don't know what I go through behind the scenes though, lol....I am so emotionally attached to my hair....especially since I am not happy with my skin, weight, etc. as it is....:cry2:

No thanks. Natural for life. After 1 failed transition and regretted relaxer, I will never relax again. Every has given the good advice about time and regimen. Ditto them...

No, I never figured out my relaxed hair to get beyond APL (actually made it there shortly) and straight hair never wowed me. I also noticed my extremely thick hair as a kid seemed to get thinner and thinner each year. I've only been natural for 3 months but I believe I'm natural for life and I'm excited to see what lengths I can reach as a natural.

I've never felt happier or more content with my hair as I have since I've cut it and grew it all back as a natural. I don't even want to put heat to it now. I know that it would help with controlling knots, but I've been very resistant so far. I like the way I look and feel with my hair being just what it is. :yep: I do wish you the best OP in whatever you decide.

Love my big hair too much to make it lye down.

*bites lip and snickers* Get it? Get it?! LYE down....:lol: :lol: :lol:

smh...I am so corny. lol *sits in corner*

Love my big hair too much to make it lye down.

*bites lip and snickers* Get it? Get it?! LYE down....:lol: :lol: :lol:

smh...I am so corny. lol *sits in corner*

Here you go
me_so_corny_tshirt-p235516226990249087qrja_400.jpg

Nope. I'm just waiting on enough length to put into one plait and have my 4's texture showing. I'll bun the plait sometimes and wear it as a braidout sometimes. :rolleyes:

Last night I had a nightmare that I put a conditioner in my hair and didn't know it was a relaxer. Then a voice came out and started taunting me by saying now you are in for an eternity of
1. Unruly new growth
2. Over/under processing breakage
3. Forever needing a retouch
4. Stylist chopping off your progress every retouch
5. Scalp burns and tangled dry hair

I was in my dream going, I can't do this, I can't properly maintain a relaxer! How did I get here?

Back