QUICK QUESTION: What month in your transition did things start to become difficicult

Re: QUICK QUESTION: What month in your transition did things start to become diffici

I'm transitioning currently, on month 6, and it's been hella easy. However, that's probably because all I do is have my hair in twists. I get kinky twists for about a month, take em down, shampoo, use a reconstructor, steam, blowdry and get em back up in twists for another month. I don't even see how this could ever get "hard" ... my only problem will be boredom with the twists... after which I might just switch up my PS into a weave or wig.

It helps that I love how I look with twists more than I do with straight hair. lol.

ToSelahWithLove

Do you do your own twists or do you go to the salon? Do you get extensions added to them? Thanks in advance.

Re: QUICK QUESTION: What month in your transition did things start to become diffici

I'm in my 5th month and so far so good...i keep my hair bunned or i wear a wig/weave ponytail and i flatiron once every one-two weeks. I def have to keep my scurl moisturizer&gel and my olive oil eco style gel.

I also use dc/protein more often and only manipulate my hair carefully while its wet and no combs unless I'm detangling.

Months 7-11. I transitioned for about 3 yrs and no other window of time gave me the blues like 7-11. I really had to exercise patience and evaluate my decision to transition. I also had to dump some products that were once hg because the natural hair simply didn't like them. Once I started treating all of my hair as if it were natural, the transition went smoothly.

@ToSelahWithLove

Do you do your own twists or do you go to the salon? Do you get extensions added to them? Thanks in advance.

I get the twists done either in a salon or at a friend's house. I'm too style-challenged to try and do a style on myself lol. I should clarify, too -- when my friend does it, it's cheap and I go for 1 month only with the twists before I take them out. When I go to a salon they're more expensive so I try to keep them in 2 months and only get the front redone halfway through. I'm ballin on a budget. :lol:

For my kinky twists I use extensions. My favorite is the Janet collection. I've used the Black and Gold kinky hair but it's too rough IMO. The Janet is about $10 per pack, and I've never used more than 2 packs for the entire head.

So far it's been a very effective and easy way to retain hair and get through this transition. I spray twice daily (morning and night) with a mixture of water and leave-in conditioner (about 95% water, 5% leave-in). I shampoo once a week with super diluted shampoo, then condition with diluted conditioner. This way I don't get build up at the roots, and the take downs have been SUPER easy. No matting, no tangles.:yep:

Sorry this was long, but I hope it helps!

Thanks for your responses everyone. Feel free to keep em' coming.

I'm noticing a trend with the 6 month mark...it seems that's when the trouble begins.

I'm also noticing that when frustration hits, there seems to be two options: Braid or Chop.

I'll take Braid for 200 Alex!

At about the year mark.

I was using sew-in weaves as a protective style and once it was time to come out of them, I would dread the marathon detangling session. I had even gone as far as to go to Sally's and pick up a relaxer -- I was just that frustrated.

Well, I decided to just wash and DC my hair and when I saw those cute little curls at the root, I thought to myself: why throw away a year of progress?

From that moment on until I reached 3 years post, I used 8-10 individual braids or twists under a wig as my protective style. It was the best decision I had ever made.

Last edited:

2 times. First time around month 5 or 6. I couldn't get away with braid outs anymore. My new growth just looked bushy.

Second time was month 17. I was doing ponies and braids at the time. I got tired of both and just BCed.

its been so long ago as i transitioned before the forum, somewhere btw the 9-11 month mark i think.

Back