Naturals: What is the most challenging/ frizzy/ least cooperative part of your hair?

What is the most challenging/ least cooperative part of your hair?

• Edges/ Perimeter/ Halo

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • Kitchen/ Back/ Nape

Votes: 28 16.5%
  • Front/ Hairline

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Crown/ Middle

Votes: 101 59.4%
  • No difference in the areas- All equally well-behaving.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • All behaves the same- like a prodigal child!

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other?

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Diva_Esq

Edges/ Perimeter/ Halo?

Kitchen/ Back/ Nape?

Front/ Hairline?

Crown/ Middle?

Other?

No challenging parts?

All areas misbehave?

Also, any theories as to why certain areas are "less cooperative" in styling?

For me, it is my CROWN-- FRIZZ CITY!! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: It is also the least defined area of my curls.

Last edited:
Re: Naturals: What is the most challenging/ frizzy/ least cooperative part of your ha

the front edge bit is the most frizzy and moisturizer resistant.

the back bit is all haywire and i just let it be, it's a madhouse back there.

Re: Naturals: What is the most challenging/ frizzy/ least cooperative part of your ha

crown/ middle-- ssk city if not stretched

Last edited:

Oh gosh, my nape....whoo! What a challenge. It stays dry, brittle and breaking no matter what I do. I've been so tempted to texturize that section but I won't do it. It's so unruly. I have to treat it like a whole different head of hair. I'm so glad it isn't visible on the outside.

I'm like Whimsy....it's a madhouse back there, lol!

We are definitely hair twins then. Mine is also the middle of my head. I never realized it until I had short hair. I have NO curls in that section of my head. When it was short, it stuck straight up. Now this is ghetto, but I used to take one of those little itty bitty curling irons and twirl the hair up on the top so that it would look like the rest of my head. I never had big bodacious puffs either. Now that it's longer, that area lays flat and I wear ponytails so it's less noticeable. All that to say, I relate.

When I was relaxed it was definitely the crown but now that I'm natural the front of my hair is the frizziest and least defined area of my hair. Which is funny because that's what I noticed about my sister's hair when she was natural and I was relaxed. It's definitely hereditary.

My nape is amazing, and the hair througout my crown makes me happy, but the hair along the front perimeter gives me the blues!

The front hair line is practically straight where the rest of my hair is a more uniform kinky texture. My hair in the front looks weird as it grows from ear length to chin length because the front is so straight/lacks definition.

Last edited:

2 sections drive me nuts:

My crown/middle area is what I characterize as "wavy frizz." If my hair is mostly 3c, this area is a 2 something and frizzy no matter what I do to it. The only way to camoflauge it is to do a braidout/twistout or straighten it. Otherwise, it sticks up in my ponytail/puffs and drives me nuts. :whyme:

The other is my hairline. I voted front, but meant edges/hairline. It's wiry, moisture-resistant, and unruly. If I don't tie it down with a scarf, I have a constant halo. Toooootally different texture in that area. :perplexed

LOL it all depends on what you want from my head! WnG- Top is the most annoying. Its the 3c area ( at the top of my head)that has looser curls but less definition than the rest of my hair. Also when I want to have a BAA it doesn't stand up.

The crown I think has the most difficult time in terms of detangling, and I think SSK. Its the best for braiding though, as its the kinkiest. However it obviously has the most shrinkage.

The perimeter of my hair is a little tougher to slick down sometimes, and its the finest, most delicate part of my hair. It has the tiniest curls which can be a little funny with detangling, but this part looks good when flat ironed.

In short, they're all the same- its just knowing how to work around it.

Love my bush:grin:

The crown for sure!

For me it is:

1. The left nape. Check out my siggie. I am a solid 4a except this area. It's a 4b and breaks very easily. Thank goodness it is doing well.

2. The left crown. For some reason it is sooooo thick. If I don't dry it strecthed it gives me some serious blues.

The middle of my hair is so hard to deal with sometimes my hand gets tired combing or detangling sometimes :ohwell:.

MAH Edges!

378027019.jpg

:lachen: nah but on the real my hair pretty much behaves now that I know exactly how to care for it....my edges dont always behave and I have this half inch patch of my frontal hairline temples that cant seem to retain length but other then that me and my hair are BFFs:yep:

I picked "All behaves the same-like a prodigal child" My whole head is crazy since most of my hair is a really thick 4b. MAJOR shrinkage, MAJORLY prone to dryness, MAJORLY prone to knotting/tangling/locing/single strand knots/mid-strand splits, UGLY wash-n-gos, etc. I'm learning how to take care of my hair much better since long hair care forum and my hair is always well moisturized/conditioned, but dealing with shrinkage and detangling can be a real nightmare and sometimes I want to :cry:. I get real length anorexic because of my hair type it seems like it is not growing as fast as a looser hair type, and my eyes trick my mind into believing this although I know better. :sad:

Last edited:

Keep ya head up softblackcotton!!:bighug: things are gonna get easier!:yep:

Just keep those beautiful coils stretched moisturized and S&D often...you'll be passing me by in length before you know it! Be sure to ask alot of questions of the 4b ladies on here.

We are definitely hair twins then. Mine is also the middle of my head. I never realized it until I had short hair. I have NO curls in that section of my head. When it was short, it stuck straight up. Now this is ghetto, but I used to take one of those little itty bitty curling irons and twirl the hair up on the top so that it would look like the rest of my head. I never had big bodacious puffs either. Now that it's longer, that area lays flat and I wear ponytails so it's less noticeable. All that to say, I relate.

This crown is giving me the blues! It's like that old Sesame Street "one of these kids is doing his own thing" jingle! Grrrrrrrr! :wallbash: It fights moisture like nobody's business and it just doesn't play well with the rest of my hair! Once again, TWINS! :)

Keep ya head up softblackcotton!!:bighug: things are gonna get easier!:yep:

Just keep those beautiful coils stretched moisturized and S&D often...you'll be passing me by in length before you know it! Be sure to ask alot of questions of the 4b ladies on here.
:thankyou: BlackMasterPiece, I will keep your words of encouragement in mind for my next detangling session! :yep:

My crown is the most frizzy, but I control that by adding ALOT more condish to that area when wng'ing........but I would call the most uncooperative part around my face, cause its fickle on when it wants to curl up as much as the rest :spinning:

definitely my crown....it's harder and drier than the rest, coarser, and -- as a result- shorter. i have to baby that part of my hair (i.e. keep it moist 24/7).

my halo/perimeter, including my nape, is the loosest texture all the way around. the only difference is one side is very silky and the other is not.

Just below the crown I have about a 2x2 section that is drier and tighter than the rest. I have to really baby this area with extra moisture and be extra careful when detangling.

I said other. Its a small patch above where my ears are on both sides that give me trouble. Shrinks twice as much and is always dry.

My hair is loose and silky in the back, the rest of my hair is curly... but the front.. .

The front is dry, does not curl, FRIZZ GALORE. I wish I could trade any back part of my hair for this. I always get jealous when I see people with cute curls in the front. My hair just poofs. And the whole frizzy area is only about 2 inches wide, but its enough to drive me batty.

Just the sides right by my ear. They are different then the rest of my hair and tend to do what they want and not what I want. I just let'em be lol

My crown. I just want to bend it over my knee and spank it like a bad bad donkey. :spank:

I love how thick it is but it will not conform to heat whatsoever.

Not natural yet, transitioning, 9 months post.

In the back right above my nape (the nape itself is actually looser and more soft). It has super shrinkage, thin, fragile, dry and brittle. It was the first to snap off when I was relaxed. Since I've been transitioning, its the first to revert when I wear my hair straight. And the hardest to get straight. its just uncooperative.

this spot of hair is actually the reason I decided to transition, any tiny little thing would make it snap. I got tired of having basically a gap of hair missing all the time and decided to see if going natural woudl help it out.

Definitely the middle- it's thicker, frizzier, drier, etc...but I still love it...

My crown is very dry and doesn't have much shine. It takes more of an effort to detangle this area too.

The Crown/ Middle is the most difficult part of my hair. It dries out sooooooo easily so i have to make sure to give it special attention

My Crown is a Goon! That is the dryest, roughest,difficult part of my head, but as it grows out it is getting better but still have to have "special treatment"

Back