Transitioners: What length was your hair when you started transitioning?

Transitioners: What length was your hair when you started transitioning?

• Chin length or shorter

Votes: 37 11.5%
  • Between Chin length and less than Shoulder length

Votes: 57 17.6%
  • Between Shoulder length and less than Armpit length

Votes: 124 38.4%
  • Between Armpit length and less than Brastrap length

Votes: 65 20.1%
  • Between Brastrap length and less than Waistlength

Votes: 38 11.8%
  • Waistlength or longer

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters

LadyKaypnyc

It was a little under BSL, but my ends were finished. They were split (despite getting regular trims) and thin. And my scalp was even worse:nono:

Elkaye

It was past my shoulders. Didn't really think too much about transitioning until the last few relaxers didn't do a good job straightening my hair, plus my hair wasn't in the best shape from being processed so much.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
It was a little under BSL, but my ends were finished. They were split (despite getting regular trims) and thin. And my scalp was even worse:nono:

This was my situation exactly ... right down to the jacked up scalp. My scalp is the reason that I transitioned in the first place.

cupcakes

wow i never knew so many people transitioned with such long hair before. lately transitioning has crossed my mind a couple of times. I am getting... tempted.

Kurly K

I began transitioning at APL and after 6 months of transitioning i fell in love with my natural hair and bc :eek:)

RegaLady

Mine wasn't very long when I decided for sure to transition (january) but now, it's about 1.5 inches long and I'm not panic-stricken like i thought i would be. But even when my hair was past my shoulders, I still wasn't bombarded with compliments like i am now. Like many have told me, stylists included, short hair suits me best. :cool:
This is one of my hair nightmares! I got sooo many compliments on my short hair. And if I grow out, and it doesn't suit me, then I am not sure what to think:rolleyes:. I am short now, so transitioning as of the moment!

Whimsy

the first transition my hair was about bsl and i BCed after 6 or so months transitioning

this transition my hair was between bsl and mbl and I'm not going to BC. I did a mini chop up to APL though.

FAMUDva

This time I was APL... 2 years ago (failed attempted) I was past SL, but not yet APL.

It's been a little under 6 months for me so far in my transition. I just pray I can make it to 18-24 months without BC. I won't be scared to BC at 18-24 months because I figure my hair would at least be SL stretched. I like length these days and right now don't want to chop to a much shorter length.

MzPrince

I started out a past shoulder length and almost made to BSL. I've been Transitioning since Feb 07 and my natural hair is about a little past mid- neck. I was going to chop the last of the relaxed 2 weeks ago but still couldn't bring myself to do it. It's about 2 1/2 inches of relaxed left and it was so hard to see my self cutting that much length out of my hair. Sigh!

ChasingBliss

Ugh, I can NOT do a BC and I don't want to do a lot of little mini chops. I want my length, such as it is - took me lots of time & TLC to get the longest layers at BSL! So how (and can) one transition from relaxed to natural without any chopping? And if so, is keeping the length going to result in a years-long process (and a lot more damage) vs. what could be done instantly (and more healthily) with a BC? I feel like because I want to keep the length without any chops, that going natural & keeping the hair healthy in the process is not attainable, and that's quite depressing! It's like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place - can't win (natural hair) for losing (length)! Are you ladies really serious when you say your natural hair grew better, stronger, and faster than your relaxed hair???

Great question. I am practically at waist length. My last relaxer was January 20, 2008. I dont want to relax anymore, but I certainly dont want to chop any of my acquired length off.

Is there anyone who went straight through, no chop?

mymane

I started out between SL and APL. Now I'm almost BSL. But I need to get my ends trimmed cause they look terrible, but I think I'm going to get a shoulder length bob. That's the shortest I ever had my hair trimmed. It was supposed to be a trim but those scissor happy stylists:perplexed Lady chopped my hair off. Anyway, I'm going into my sixth month and figured it would be easier for me to handle the two textures if I cut it shorter cause when wet this stuff is thick. But straightens pretty easily nonetheless. HHG.

LayneJ

Great question. I am practically at waist length. My last relaxer was January 20, 2008. I dont want to relax anymore, but I certainly dont want to chop any of my acquired length off.

Is there anyone who went straight through, no chop?

Miss Marie did. She chopped in Jan. (I think?), but she has transitioning pics as far back as '04. :eek:

You can PM her and ask, but I don't think she did any mini-chops, either. She's got some beautiful hair, too. :yep:

Chromia

^^^MissMarie is exactly who I was thinking of. Yes, she chopped in January. I love her fotki.