Transitioners: What length was your hair when you started transitioning?

Transitioners: What length was your hair when you started transitioning?

• Chin length or shorter

Votes: 37 11.5%
  • Between Chin length and less than Shoulder length

Votes: 57 17.6%
  • Between Shoulder length and less than Armpit length

Votes: 124 38.4%
  • Between Armpit length and less than Brastrap length

Votes: 65 20.1%
  • Between Brastrap length and less than Waistlength

Votes: 38 11.8%
  • Waistlength or longer

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters

DozenRoses99

Not sure if this has this has been asked before, but.... Fellow transitioners, what was your hair length when you decided to start transitioning? Just curious because I've notive a lot of us started transitioning with long hair. I decided to transition because I got tired of relaxers damaging my hair. I have been doing mini-chops over the past few months. However, I'm very tempted to do the BC......

GoingNatural

I am natural now, but when i decided to transition my hair was shoulder length when i cut i htink my hair was almost APL, but it is hard to tell because i stopped using heat and could only stretch

Now 6 months after my BC i am at shoulder length stretched once again, but now i know i wont be stuck at this length

Good luck with your transition! I started getting the itch to cut at 10 months and a month later the scissors came out!

LynnieB

i was between brastrap and waist.....about 2-3 inches short of waist actually.

in the beginning, occasional dustings.

towards the end - big mini-chops then finally one last BC.

Ms Red

My hair was between chin and shoulder length. Now it is between shoulder and APL length.

I trimmed frequently but never chopped.

guesswho

My hair was long when I was under 15 as soon as I relax my hair my hair never past shoulder length it was the worse I had shoulder length hair until I bc'd 3 years ago and when my hair is stretched its brastrap, so I know relaxing isn't for me:)

Brownie

Between bottom of bra strap and waist when I started. Close to waist when I chopped. I cut it to a little above collarbone length; this was the length of my natural hair then. I cut in 2005---2 years later, I believe I have my longest layers back.

divya

Just hit brastrap length... Then I cut/trimmed a few inches and am letting it grow out naturally.

blue_flower

The last two times I transitioned my hair was BSL. Now I have layers with the shortest length reaching my shoulders and the longest length past BSL.

CreoleBelle

When I did my first BC, my hair was a couple inches from brastrap length. A couple weeks later, my second BC left me almost bald. My hair is actually growing faster now that I'm natural. I'm really enjoying my natural hair.

Mestiza

It was a little longer than waist length. Transitioning is one of the best things that I've done for my hair.

fuchsiastar

Transitioning now...the first time I had a short halle berry pixie cut (it was the 90s ;) )....now my hair is between shoulder and apl.

Robin41

My hair was about shoulder length when I started. By the time I did so many mini-chops for over a year and then finally BC'd a couple of weeks ago, it's almost back where I started at shoulder length when stretched. It actually grew pretty fast while I was transitioning and I hope it keeps on at that pace now that I'm fully natural.

Leshia

Mine wasn't very long when I decided for sure to transition (january) but now, it's about 1.5 inches long and I'm not panic-stricken like i thought i would be. But even when my hair was past my shoulders, I still wasn't bombarded with compliments like i am now. Like many have told me, stylists included, short hair suits me best. :cool:

InNeedofHairapy

I started out a little below armpit length. I'm now just above the shoulders..midway between chin and shoulders. I've done a lot of mini chops in these last 8 months, and will continue to do so until I get rid of these funky ends, and am natural.

adf23

I am also a little over 4 months into my transition. My hair was almost APL length when I decided to transition.

Two weeks ago I did a semi chop of about 5 inches. So at this moment, I have a chin length bob which I really like. I plan to keep it around this length for as long as I can stand it (and trim the relaxed ends every 2 months or so).

MissMarie

***sigh***
My hair was around sl when I stopped relaxing.
Its close to waistlength now, I've just been dusting to maintain length (and because I'm horribly lazy). When I hit my goals, and/or get bored with what I'm doing now,I'm gonna chop whats left of the relaxed ends off.

good luck with your transition

Alpha Female

Ugh, I can NOT do a BC and I don't want to do a lot of little mini chops. I want my length, such as it is - took me lots of time & TLC to get the longest layers at BSL! So how (and can) one transition from relaxed to natural without any chopping? And if so, is keeping the length going to result in a years-long process (and a lot more damage) vs. what could be done instantly (and more healthily) with a BC? I feel like because I want to keep the length without any chops, that going natural & keeping the hair healthy in the process is not attainable, and that's quite depressing! It's like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place - can't win (natural hair) for losing (length)! Are you ladies really serious when you say your natural hair grew better, stronger, and faster than your relaxed hair???

cocoberry10

I'm dusting at BSL in the back and full APL in the front. It's been 3.5 months since my last texlax. We'll see how it goes. I haven't chopped yet, but I desperately need to dust (or trim). The ends are a wreck!