Transitioners: What length was your hair when you started transitioning?

Transitioners: What length was your hair when you started transitioning?

• Chin length or shorter

Votes: 37 11.5%
  • Between Chin length and less than Shoulder length

Votes: 57 17.6%
  • Between Shoulder length and less than Armpit length

Votes: 124 38.4%
  • Between Armpit length and less than Brastrap length

Votes: 65 20.1%
  • Between Brastrap length and less than Waistlength

Votes: 38 11.8%
  • Waistlength or longer

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters

kismettt

shoulder length. about 9 months into my transition, i got a chin length bob. right now, my hair is about 2-3 inches past my chin. most of my hair is natural, but obviously since the hair on the top of my head was cut to match my bottom layers, i have more relaxed ends up top =)

ChasingBliss

Miss Marie did. She chopped in Jan. (I think?), but she has transitioning pics as far back as '04. :eek:

You can PM her and ask, but I don't think she did any mini-chops, either. She's got some beautiful hair, too. :yep:

^^^MissMarie is exactly who I was thinking of. Yes, she chopped in January. I love her fotki.

Thanks ladies :) Off to stalk er um look at MissMarie's fotki....

DozenRoses99

Miss Marie did. She chopped in Jan. (I think?), but she has transitioning pics as far back as '04. :eek:

You can PM her and ask, but I don't think she did any mini-chops, either. She's got some beautiful hair, too. :yep:

I agree that she is a wonderful example of someone who was able to transition for a very long time. It can be done, but it is not super easy. I learned that the best thing for my hair during my transition was to keep my hair moisturized as much as possible. This helped greatly with dealing with the two (or more) textures. HTH

Eisani

I voted for between BSL and WL. I've been a texlaxer and stretcher for a long time anyway, but this past stretch (33 wks so far) has been one of the easiest so I'm thinking it's because I know what my hair likes and needs so I'm just going to keep it moving. I'm not going to BC for a couple reasons; 1) I don't have a line of demarcation so I don't know where to cut and 2) I just don't want to! I have about an inch or so at the ends that are kind of straight but I won't cut that until I'm closer to WL.

BostonMaria

Ugh, I can NOT do a BC and I don't want to do a lot of little mini chops. I want my length, such as it is - took me lots of time & TLC to get the longest layers at BSL! So how (and can) one transition from relaxed to natural without any chopping? And if so, is keeping the length going to result in a years-long process (and a lot more damage) vs. what could be done instantly (and more healthily) with a BC? I feel like because I want to keep the length without any chops, that going natural & keeping the hair healthy in the process is not attainable, and that's quite depressing! It's like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place - can't win (natural hair) for losing (length)! Are you ladies really serious when you say your natural hair grew better, stronger, and faster than your relaxed hair???

I can only speak for myself and yes, my hair grew stronger and I can retain length now that my hair is natural. When I was relaxed my hair grew very fast (like it does now) but I couldn't retain no matter what I did and the longest I grew it was shoulder length.

As far as the original OP question -
I was shoulder length when I decided to transition. I BC'd and it was ear length (for some reason before the BC I just thought it would be longer) and it was about 5 1/2 inches long. Not even long enough for a ponytail. I probably could have easily been a long time transitioner, but I knew that if I saw my relaxed/natural hair at a BSL length I wasn't going to let it go without getting emotional about it so I cut it off. I didn't want to be tempted into relaxing, PLUS I also did not want to hinder my growth. After the BC my hair grew like crazy. That's just me though, everyone is different.

Last edited:

santwon

I was around earlength, I think...I don't know what that length was. The back was practically shaved though.

justsimply

I was just past APL when I decided to transitioned. Transitioned for 7 mths and did the big chop (see avi). On the 31st it will be one yr since my last relaxer. I started my 2nd set of locs a little over a month ago.

Austro-Afrikana

I was neck lengthish.
I did a 6month relaxer stretch and chickened out of getting my relaxer in dec so, i am now transitioning.
I would never do a big chop...i've never ever had even full shoulder length hair!
When i get to bsl i will trim an inch off every month or so 'til the relaxed ends are gone. THEN I'M GONNA TWIST OUT :-D
I'm now approaching full sl and apl in the back. 5 inches in 7 months!! I've grown way quicker in braids and buns.

mightycute912

I started off with BSL in September '08 when I got my last relaxer. I chopped my hair to NL to SL. I have been transitioning at this length since September '08. I got a trim to remove 2 weeks ago to remove about 1-2 inches. So, most likely I will stay at this length until I am completely natural.

LaReyna756

I was between mid back lenghth and waist length. I have gotten two hair cuts since I started transitioning, but I have not decided whether or not to BC. I am still at waist length.