Natural curly beauties: What is your curly method/ routine?

What method/ routine do you use for your curls?

• Wet hair with a full strength conditioner left in it only.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Wet hair with a leave-in or watered-down full strength conditioner in it.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Oil or cream moisturizer under a gel product. If so, name the products.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Gel only. If so, name the product.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Oil only. If so name the oils.

• Other...please describe routine and list products.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Products????? Girl please, I just wet and go!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I voted oil or cream moisturizer under a gel. (KBB hair milk under Ecostyler)

This is a must for me. It took me a really long time to figure out how to use gels (I hated crunch). Some kind of cream underneath (qhemet burdock root is current favorite) has solved the crunchiness.

empressri

shampoo
deep condition
apply a leave in (be it an actual leave in or some conditioner i.e. lustrasilk)
apply a gel on top
diffuse until most of the dampness is out of my hair
tie a scarf loosely around the front, with the back of my hair hanging out t he back of the scarf and go to bed

lately, in the morning i've been using the air concentrator on my hair dryer and gently pulling chunks of hair at a time and hitting it with the dryer to stretch out the curls a bit.

depending on the products my wash and goes can last from 2-5 days. i just apply some pomade or coconut oil to smooth down frizzies. i also use curl junkie curl fuel to refresh the curls

werenumber2

I wet my hair and detangle with a creamy, slippery leave-in

Apply a moisturizing butter like Afroveda Cocolatte or Curly Custard

Smooth through any of the following: Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Jelly, Biotera Gel, ORS Lock & Twist Gel, Afroveda Pur Whipped Gelly. They all have a pretty soft hold, so I usually combine two.

Plop with a t-shirt

Air-dry and go!

Whimsy

I like this. I've been thinking about using mousse/setting lotion instead of gel for my wash 'n go's.

Try it! I used to use Sebastian Laminates Wet...it was settinglotionish in it's feel/application and result...

Now I just use suave mousse on well moisturized hair so it doesn't get all crunchified and gross.

Good luck! tell me how it works for you!:yep:

biancaelyse

I'm currently co-washing everyother day to use up my stash but once that is done, Im seriously thinking to converting to just Wen or Hair One.

I really like the isea of simplifying and using fewer products on my hair.

My hair liked the Hair One sample that I tried. I just hope that it won't get too expensive since I use a lot of product!!

PatTodd

I've tried every method in the poll. What I am doing now and what gives me the best, multiple-day results is:

Co wash as usual
put on creamy conditioner in shower
apply shea butter/oil mix* OVER conditioner, still in shower
comb through for curl definition
rinse with warm water
step out of shower and lean over to rinse hair only in cold water
squeeze out excess water
smooth and elongate curls with hands, perhaps a bit more shea, and some clear leave in (I use Fantasia IC)
cover hair loosely with silk scarf, sit under Pibbs for 10 mins
Smooth and elongate curls with hands while hair is still warm
Go

*This is unrefined shea butter melted, mixed with safflower oil, left to cool, then slightly whipped with a wire whisk until creamy. The mix is still a work in progress.

Sounds like a lot, but it isn't. I can get about three days of curls with this if oil at night, and dampen and re-elongate my hair daily, then I get two or three more days of a curly ponytail or bun.

Summary: No creamy conditioner left in. No gel. Both made my hair dry and dull. Water, Shea butter and oil all the way baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PatTodd

I'm currently co-washing everyother day to use up my stash but once that is done, Im seriously thinking to converting to just Wen or Hair One.

I really like the isea of simplifying and using fewer products on my hair.

My hair liked the Hair One sample that I tried. I just hope that it won't get too expensive since I use a lot of product!!

BE, my hair like Hair One too at first - in fact, I was really into it this time last year, but it has cones in it, and it built up on my hair so much until I had to use shampoo to remove it :nono:.

At least I think that was it. could've been something else I was using with it, I was really into cones this time last year!

biancaelyse

BE, my hair like Hair One too at first - in fact, I was really into it this time last year, but it has cones in it, and it built up on my hair so much until I had to use shampoo to remove it :nono:.

At least I think that was it. could've been something else I was using with it, I was really into cones this time last year!

Good to know. My hair doesn't seem to mind cones too much.

Bigghair

For a curly fro I leave in some regular conditioner, apply castor oil and aloe vera gel. I let my hair dry in a pony or two buns to keep it stretched.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I use a combination of MahaganyCurls curly girl method and NaturallyNike's diffuser method on YouTube mostly. I've modified it a bit for my own personal tastes...

I co-wash w ORS Replenishing & Affirm for Color Treated Hair

Detangle

Showercap while I shave/bathe

Rinse

Put in Cantu Shea Leave In

Shake head vigorously!

Finish Showering (usually use my bodywash this time to get rid of any product that may have dripped on my skin)

Once I'm out of shower I put straightening serum (helps me with frizz), oil mix and Hawaiian Silky 14-1

Shake head vigorously again

Finger define curls (coil method with fingers)

Use concentrator nozzle on cool low heat to evaporate dripping water (I do not plop because it flattened my curls too much for my taste; plus i like a slightly wild curly look)

Air dry

That is pretty much the same routine I use with different products when I wear my hair curly.

Tene

My Routine:

1. co wash

2. use leave-in

3. use castor oil

4. apply gel or whatever other syling product in 6 to 8 sections

5. shake my hair

6. airdy or sometimes use the blowdryer on cool

* If the gel or whatever I'm using is too heavy, I'll just rub some in all over instead of sectioning my hair and applying it.

Last edited: