Curly Girl (CG) Challenge

SmilingElephant

I already started this yesterday. But if anybody wants to join me you surely can!:yep:

The Curly Girl method was created by Lorraine Massey and basically what it is, is that you rid your hair of all silicones first with a sulfate shampoo...and then you begin to use products that do not contain silicones...unless they are easily washed out with conditioner or water.

You also avoid shampoo...hence the avoidance of silicone products...and rely on co washing and or an ocassional sulfate free shampoo. Some modified Curly Girls (or guys) use low-poo.

You also use...if ur using gels...use clear gels that have no alcohol or cones.

I'm still researching more on this as far as which cones to watch out for and which ones are water soluble. I'm giving it a 3 month try. I wanna see it tame my frizz and make my curls shinier.

I get most of my info on NC(naturally curly) but there is a book out by Lorraine Massey and of course it's called Curly Girl. :grin: this method is good for all curly/kinky/wavy hair types as it keeps our natural hair moisturized.

Just post if u wanna join me.

SmilingElephant

BUMPING! Lol....

A few products that are CG friendly:

Co Washing:

Suave Naturals
-Juicy Green Apple
-Tropical Coconut
-Aloe & Waterlilly (I think that's the name of it)
-Tangerine
And the one that's light blue....it's sea something..
VO5
-moisture milks
-tea therapy

White Rain
-coconut
-apple
-lavender & vanilla (I LOVE how this smells!!:love:)

Rinse Out:
Garnier Fructis
-Triple Nutrition Cream Conditioner
Most of the GF cream conditioners are CG friendly...they contain a water soluble cone...for more info go to curlgirljourney.blogspot.com

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
Giovanni conditioners

Product Lines:
Curl Junkie
Oyin Handmade
Shea Moisture

Are all CG friendly lines. Please feel free to add more if u know of anymore CG friendly products.

faithVA

I'm not quite ready for this yet but I definitely want to hang out and learn more. Thanks for the thread OP.

Fhrizzball

I'm semi curly girl. Well I'm low poo basically so I wouldn't mind joining. I guess my only vice are braid sprays so once I find a replacement for that then I'm good.

The products I use are as follows:

Shampoos:
Giovanni 50:50
Shea Moisture

Conditioner:
Shea Moisture
Tresemme Naturals
AO GBP
Suave Naturals

Leave Ins:
Giovanni Smooth As Silk
Shea Butter
EVCO
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
KCKT

Gel:
Ecostyler (rarely as I am still trying to make it work for me)
KCCC

other:
sulfur infused moe's growth oil
Shea Moisture Spritz
braid spray (not CG friendly)
henna
EVOO

Last edited:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I have the original Curly Girl book (she just released the updated version but I haven't checked it out yet) and I liked it. The CG method just didn't work for me though. I got build up from no cones conditioners and ended up having to shampoo anyway. Good luck on your journey though.

BTW, all the products on the cone free list are CG friendly as far as I know.

suns4i6e

I'm happy to join this challenge as I've been modified CG for years. Even though I have nothing against an SLS based shampoo from time to time, I generally use sulfate free poos. Silicone based or any product that can't be low poo'd, cowashed out generally doesn't touch my hair. Here are some of the products I enjoy using regularly.

Cleansing:
Terressentials Pure Earth Hair Wash (CG)
Keracare Sulfate Free Shampoo (Modified CG)
Curl Junkie Daily Fix (Modified CG)

CoWash:
Trader Joe's Nourish Spa (CG)

Conditioner:
AO GPB (Protein Con - CG)
AO White Camilla (CG)
Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan & Olive Oil Daily Conditioner (CG)
Curl Junkie Repair Me (Protein Con - CG)

LeaveIn:
Giovanni Direct Leave in (CG)
Shida Naturals Moisturizing Cream Detangler (CG)

Styling:
KCCC (CG)
Shida Naturals Define and Hold Curl Cream Gel (CG)
Garnier Pure Clean Gel (CG)
Flax Seed Gel (CG)

There are many, many CG friendly products available on the ground as well as online. If you select the below link and look on the left hand side, there are examples of many of them. I'm by no means an expert, but I've been doing this for a while and am happy to answer any questions if I can.

http://curlgirljourney.blogspot.com/2008/12/curly-girl-method-approved-products.html

Here is a blog post listing some of the more popular silicones and those that are water soluble.

http://curlgirljourney.blogspot.com/2009/01/bad-versus-good-silicones.html

SmilingElephant

YAY!!! I'm not alone! :grouphug: thanks ladies for the educational posts. Please if you other details DO share! :yep:

My products I'm using are as follows:

Co-wash:
V05 Moisture Milks Strawberry
Suave Ocean Breeze
Suave Juicy Green Apple
White Rain Lavender Vanilla

Rinse Out(detangling) Conditioner:
Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
Oyin Honey Hemp

Leave In:
my co washing conditioners
Oyin Honey Hemp
Oyin Hair Dew

I would like to try the Giovanni Leave In as well

Stylers:
LA Looks Gels
CJ Curls In a Bottle
EcoStyler Gels that have soft holds...not über crunchy

I'm starting to think I don't NEED deep conditioners but I have some Shea Moisture DTM but I also like CJ Banana and Hibiscus Deep Fix.

As far as cleansers...I have and LOVE my Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bars and will be clarifying as needed with ACV rinses.

DaiseeDay

I'm CG :D

I haven't quite settled into a routine, I'm getting ready to order some more products and samples, but right now I'm using:

Cleanser:
Hand-made-all-natural-soap-bars- My mom's friend makes them, but there's also a user on Naturally Curly who makes them and you can PM her to buy them.

Conditioner:

Suave Naturals
Garnier Pure Clean Conditioner
Garnier Triple Nutrition

Leave-In:

Garnier Pure Clean Conditioner
Garnier Triple Nutrition
Kinky-Curly Knot Today

Stylers:

Fruit Of The Earth Aloe Vera Gel
Garnier Pure Clean Smoothing Cream
Kinky-Curly Curling Custard

Deep Condition:

Garnier 3 Minute Undo

SmilingElephant

To those of you who have been doing CG for a while.....do you do it everyday? I didn't do a co wash and all that today. I simply refreshed my curls.

davisbr88

I can't join because I am not CG yet but plan to start in January after I am done PSing for the year. I'm here to learn (especially if there are other ladies who experienced itching from cowashing and were able to find something that didn't itch.... or is itching just part of the adjustment phase and eventually subsides?)

Mz.MoMo5235

i think i qualify to join.... i'm pretty sure i've been doing it for a while now

suflate poo: head and shoulders and CD tui shampoo herbal

cond: shea moisture shea butter cond masque

co-wash: sallys hair one olive oil cond

water rinses in place of co-washing at times

leave in: home made juice, CD hair milk

oils: olive oil, evco mixed with tea tree oil and peppermint oil

does this count?!?!?

DaiseeDay

To those of you who have been doing CG for a while.....do you do it everyday? I didn't do a co wash and all that today. I simply refreshed my curls.

I have a twa right now, so it's kinda hard for me not to wet my hair in some way to style it each day; but I don't always do a co-wash, sometimes I just wet it and add more leave-in. I do an actual co-wash about every other day to every 3 days.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I guess I'm modified CG because I do wash once a week. I wash with CON (green) which is sulfate free but I believe it has a cone or two. I want to finish up what I have (well what's opened) then I plan to give up the rest of the CON at a meet up. Everything else I use is sulfate and cone free. I am a pj so I could be up in here forever listing stuff.

I have the old & new curly girl books and I want to review the new one & watch the cd that came with it. I want to make sure all my products are up to par by looking at the ingredients.

I cowash 6 days a week and wash on Sundays. No problems with build up or itchiness. Once a month I clarify with bentonite clay. That does the trick.

SmilingElephant

i think i qualify to join.... i'm pretty sure i've been doing it for a while now

suflate poo: head and shoulders and CD tui shampoo herbal

cond: shea moisture shea butter cond masque

co-wash: sallys hair one olive oil cond

water rinses in place of co-washing at times

leave in: home made juice, CD hair milk

oils: olive oil, evco mixed with tea tree oil and peppermint oil

does this count?!?!?

:look:........:grin:

No Mo....it's no sulfates and no cones.
Hair one has cones in it....dimethicone...H&S is a sulfate shampoo. I'm not sure about the CD products...Shea Moisture is cool and your oils are great! :)

:hug2:

SmilingElephant

I can't join because I am not CG yet but plan to start in January after I am done PSing for the year. I'm here to learn (especially if there are other ladies who experienced itching from cowashing and were able to find something that didn't itch.... or is itching just part of the adjustment phase and eventually subsides?)

Welcome Davi! It's cool...I'm still learning as I go as well. I've heard that the itching is part of the adjustment process. So what usually is the culprit is that they haven't done a SULFATE ...not sulfate free...wash before they begin the method. You MUST clarify all non water soluble cones out of ur hair or they'll just build up and irritate.

For those who have itching still they may use a low sulfate shampoo...this makes them modified Curly Girls. Bc it's basically a no poo method.

So I guess I'm modified bc I'll be cleansing weekly with shampoo bars....but they are sulfate free. Now that's where I get confused. Does that make me a modified curly girl?

suns4i6e

I used to co-wash each and every day but as the hair grows longer, it's more of an inconvenience (I also diffuse after co-washing). In fact, it's a continual Goal of mine to get 2nd day and beyond hair. Nothing wrong at all with refreshing curls in between :yep:

suns4i6e

So I guess I'm modified bc I'll be cleansing weekly with shampoo bars....but they are sulfate free. Now that's where I get confused. Does that make me a modified curly girl?

SmilingElephant I believe shampoo bars count as full CG. They don't have the mild surfactant ingredients such as Cocomidopropyl Betaine, that are commonly found in low poos. I think you are good to go.

DaiseeDay

I think natural soap bars are full CG. I don't think they're low-poo because there's no surfactant which is the poo part (I think).

vkb247

I've been CG since I figured out that's the reggie that works for my hair so it's been about 2-3 years I guess. What I do on a regular changes every few months usually based on availability of products and sheer laziness. The longer my hair is the less I want to mess with it.

cleanser: natural bar soap only as/where needed

cowash: VO5 - haven't tried them all but haven't used one I didn't like
Tresemme Naturals Moisture something or other

leave in: coconut/olive/sunflower oil
one of the conditioners listed above

dc: I occasionally sleep over night with oil or conditioner in my hair or leave something I've mixed up (henna and conditioner, or yogurt with something) on for a few hours. I recently started using Ultra Sheen Duotex because my ends were feeling weak after a few series of heat training (I transitioning from texlax to heat trained) and this did the trick with no dryness and I didn't even need to dc. It makes my curls luscious.

styling: ECO Styler Olive Oil
Paul Mitchell or V05 Mousse

SmilingElephant

Today I co washed with Suave Naturals....Ocean Breeze scent..I actually like how it smells...never tried it before. Then I finger detangled with the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition...I like that too:yep:

I put some Bee Mine Growth Serum on before I put on my leave in...I'm trying to use it up…my leave in was the Hair Dew...styled with ESOO gel and finished with CJ CIAB.

LOVED it! :love:

AuNaturalMaMa

Good luck to everyone! I've co washed everyday this week thanks to the sale that CVS had last week. I got some VO5 last week for $.77! I stocked up and used my extrabucks to get about 6 bottles. I love the way it smells! Sometimes Im temped to eat my hair! :look:

SmilingElephant

I'm liking this so far! :yep: I like that my hair STAYS moisturized! My kinky areas around my ears and nape stay soft and I've only been completely CG for 5 days:yep:

Shadiyah

I have been a cg for over 2 yrs now but I keep it really simple. I use the mixed chicks line, all 4 products. I co wash just about everyday with the deep conditioner because I love how it makes my hair feels. at night I use hairveda whipped ends and plait my hair up in 3 plaits. and cover every night with silk cap scarf. I henna my hair every month.
I have the curly girl book and love it. I don't like leaving the conditioner in my hair but it works fine for my daughter. I like mixed chicks leave in and I use it all the time and once my hair air drys I use their hair silk to fluff up my curls. I have heard a lot of curly say they can not stand the products that leave their hair crunchy after it drys but don't know that they are suppose to fluff their hair out after it dry. the hair comes out very very soft and buncy. just about once a month or more I put honey and then deep conditioner on my hair and bag it over night and my ends are so smooth.

classychic1908

I've been cg for about two years now.

Cowash weekly with nature's gate aloe or jojoba conditioner. I frequently add a small amount of acv and sea salt to my conditioner. (The additions help me detangle)

I use AOWC as a leave in with castor oil and KCCC. (when I'm watching my haircare dollars I use clear ecostyler instead of KCCC)

I spritz daily, or when necessary with aloe juice and glycerin mix. I sometimes baggy overnight as well.

I also henna periodically.

I think being CG helps me to keep my routine simple. It works for me!!