Curly Girl (CG) Challenge

SherylsTresses

Just tried it this morning and I like it so far but the shrinkage.....from MBL to NL :ohwell:

Cowash: Tresemme Naturals
Leave-in: Giovanni Direct Leave-in/EVOO
Styler: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Accessory: Goody hair clip to pin up front section

Tomorrow I will try the kinky curly line. :yep:

faithVA

I washed tonight with the Terressentials Lavendar Mudwash and then conditioned with the Deva Care One. My hair was smooth and soft. That is unusual. I finished the bottle of mudwash.

I guess I will use up the Deva Care No Poo. I will try diluting it with AVJ (I have plenty). And before rinsing it apply the Deva Care conditioner to buffer it. Let's see how that works.

SherylsTresses

Yesterday I used the Kinky Curly curling custard and to my surprise I love the results. I didn't care much for KC's leave-in conditioner because it left my hair looking white :nono:. Friday, the SM curl enhancing smoothie left my ends looking dry. It's taking me some time to get used to NL WnG but I truthfully need a change from wearing buns all the time :ohwell:.

WnG:
Cowash: Giovanni 50:50 (scrub scalp)
Leave-in: Giovanni Direct Leave-in/EVOO (detangle)
Styler: Kinky Curly Curling Custard/EVOO
Accessory: Head band & bobby pins to pull front section away from face

Prep for night:
Pineapple, scarf method around edges, and bonnet

Next morning:
Spray with aloe vera juice/EVOO

PinkPeony

Tresemme naturals plus eco styler leaves my hair white, but I use a tshirt to remove excess.
Haven't found a better way yet.

Love how soft my hair feels and hello curl definition

vmerie

Undercover superhero
So I took out my ps and used a sulfate shampoo to get the cones out of my hair. Ordered some pure oils making sure to read the ingredients so I don't make the same mistake again.

faithVA

Prepooed with the Deva Care One for a few hours. Washed with Deva Curl No Poo twice. Conditioned with Deva Care One and rinsed. I think I had a lot of oils in my hair this week. The Deva Curl No Poo didn't make my hair tighten up as usual. I'm almost out of it and won't repurchase it. Think I will try AO Blue Chamomile Shampoo to replace it.

xu93texas

Hi, I've been watching plenty of YT videos about CG method. I went to BN to purchase the CG handbook. I've done this a few times thus far. I washed today with As I Am Coconut CoWash and followed up with VO5 Silky Experience Shea Cashmere w/shea protein as a leave in conditioner.

The Princess

Well I'm transitioning to natural and stumbled upon this thread. I been researching for the last few weeks and bought the Curly Girl Book. I'm all for it.

I looked in my closet and notice that the Hydroquench cleaning conditioners haves cones as well as the Greaseless Moisture. What are y'all take on this.

I'm already stockpiled on V05 conditioners and Giovanni so I'm set.

Just concerned about the hydroquench.

Also what are you all using for gels.

The main reason I start researching cause I notice my hairline thinning due to brushing everyday.

Edit to add results of Day 2.

I curly Girl today. OMGosh my hair looks so different. In a good way. Less frizz and it's darker. Since I'm transitioning I rinsed my hair and added conditioner to my natural hair only. I added Giovanni TTT to my relaxed hair. I put Aloe Vera Gel on my hair and some LA Looks on my edges. I'm air drying now. My hair is behaving.

I bought a soft brush and its alot better now.

Tis all.

Last edited:

AJellyCake

Hi! :wave:

I think I've been doing the CG method for three or four weeks now and it's going well. I wasn't sure if it would work for me, but my hair is more moisturized, and I feel like my curls are clumping better and being trained to curl.

The things I'm struggling with now are: drying time (my hair stays damp foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr) and build-up. I think I get more build-up on my scalp from leaving all of that conditioner in. I also am working on figuring out how to get more definition and hang time (but I don't think those last two issues are caused by the CG method, but rather me trying to figure out my natural hair and what it likes).

The Princess said:
I looked in my closet and notice that the Hydroquench cleaning conditioners haves cones as well as the Greaseless Moisture. What are y'all take on this.

I'm already stockpiled on V05 conditioners and Giovanni so I'm set.

Just concerned about the hydroquench.

Also what are you all using for gels.

I had filled my shopping cart with a bunch of hydroquench products, and then I saw that dimethicone! I didn't buy any of it :(. Even though the DC seemed ok I just couldn't bring myself to buy $60 worth of conditioner I hadn't tried yet :nono: (to get the 50% off). I'm still new to the CG method, but dimethicone is a no-go for CGers. Also I think the LA Looks gel has parabens in it, which the new CG book also discourages. If it works for you though, I say do it; some people's hair loves cones and parabens, and at the end of the day we're just trying to get our best hair possible. Plenty of people have beautiful hair without following this method.

Sent from my iPhone

Prettycoach

Good Morning ladies,

I came across the CG method and got curious about it. One of the girls I follow on Instagram started CG method 8 weeks ago so I wanted to research it. One of the kind subscribers sent me a like o this thread. I would like to join and see what happens with my curl definition. I will clarify my hair with Giovanni's tea treat shampoo and then DC my hair with a mixture of different conditioners, oils and an egg. Then I do a leave in and use SM Curling smoothie. This is going to start my regimen. I workout everyday so my concern is for if the conditioners will be able to wash my hair clean?

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
I have been doing the CG method since my bc on 25 Aug. I love it.

Conditioners
Tressemme Naturals

Leave in
Use my conditioner

Seals
Shea butter mixed with oils

Deep conditioner
I really havent found one I like but I have been using One n Only moisture

I just ordered alot of CJ stuff so I hope I like them

faithVA

[USER=342565 said:
Prettycoach[/USER];16883745]Good Morning ladies,

I came across the CG method and got curious about it. One of the girls I follow on Instagram started CG method 8 weeks ago so I wanted to research it. One of the kind subscribers sent me a like o this thread. I would like to join and see what happens with my curl definition. I will clarify my hair with Giovanni's tea treat shampoo and then DC my hair with a mixture of different conditioners, oils and an egg. Then I do a leave in and use SM Curling smoothie. This is going to start my regimen. I workout everyday so my concern is for if the conditioners will be able to wash my hair clean?

Welcome PrettyCoach

You can use a non-sulfate shampoo weekly if you want. Curly Girl is not shampoo free. It's just non-sulfate shampooes.

If you don't want to shampoo, try a cleansing conditioner. I know some ladies use As I Am Cleansing Conditioner from Sallys.

SmilingElephant

I tried the DevaCare NoPoo today. I LOVE it! I like how this line smells WAY better than the DevaCurl line!

My hair felt cleansed and my scalp experienced that nice tingly feeling....i think i may invest in the large size bottles of this and the OneC of DevaCare. I really like this line so far :)

Sent from my Teleportation Device

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm trying this method to see how my hair reacts with it. Thank you for posting products. However, I am unclear on one point. Is this a daily co wash method or can you benefit from multiple day hair until your next wash?

faithVA

[USER=5870 said:
DDTexlaxed[/USER];17086455]I'm trying this method to see how my hair reacts with it. Thank you for posting products. However, I am unclear on one point. Is this a daily co wash method or can you benefit from multiple day hair until your next wash?

You don't have to cowash daily. Cowash on whatever schedule works for you.

DDTexlaxed

So far, this is the best my hair has ever looked. My hair actually worked well and eco gel finally looked good in my hair.:lol: I'm going to keep a journal and see if I have long term benefits with it. I am not used to having soft, touchable hair.If this works as great as I think, I will be tossing out my products and sticking to the no silicone products. Thank goodness I finally paid attention to this thread and you tube videos.:grin:

SmilingElephant

So far, this is the best my hair has ever looked. My hair actually worked well and eco gel finally looked good in my hair.:lol: I'm going to keep a journal and see if I have long term benefits with it. I am not used to having soft, touchable hair.If this works as great as I think, I will be tossing out my products and sticking to the no silicone products. Thank goodness I finally paid attention to this thread and you tube videos.:grin:

Yes...if you stay consistent with it...your hair will stay hydrated for more than a day.

I veered off bc i wanted to try other products...that contained cones:nono:...my skin is now suffering.

Also...my hair has a tendency now to feel overly hydrated. So I've been looking for cheap protein treatments/conditioner. :nono:

Sent from my Teleportation Device

Prettycoach

Hi ladies, I am trying to do the CG method but I use Trader Joes Nourishing Spa which has parabens. Could I still use this as a detangling conditioner because I can not find another conditioner that has as much slip as this does? Plus I tried a wash and go but it didnt go well. I washed my hair and used SM curl enhancing smoothie and Eco styler Argan Oil. My hair didn't feel soft. Also I thought maybe I should use the Kimmaytube leave-in then the curl smoothie and then the ecostyler. Sooo confused. Smh

Prettycoach

Last question lol. For the CG method can you use castor oil bc I was watching mahogany curls and she said in the book you r not supposed to use it. The thing is I love castor oil especially for my edges bc I play with them too much so I need them to grow back lol.

vmerie

Undercover superhero
Last question lol. For the CG method can you use castor oil bc I was watching mahogany curls and she said in the book you r not supposed to use it. The thing is I love castor oil especially for my edges bc I play with them too much so I need them to grow back lol.

Would love to know too. I put castor oil in my DC mix. I am not curly girl all the way though but a majority of it I follow and my hair is thanking me. It has never been so moisturized before.

alove15

Prettycoach said:

The book suggests not to because they group it with ingredients like mineral oil that are more likely to buildup. I still use oyin hair dew, which contains castor oil. I haven't really had any problems with moisture and build up though. I have used kinky curly come clean about 3 times and ACV (1x every 1-2 months) to clarify since I went cg in may. I don't think it's a big deal unless you notice decreased moisture.

Prettycoach

The book suggests not to because they group it with ingredients like mineral oil that are more likely to buildup. I still use oyin hair dew, which contains castor oil. I haven't really had any problems with moisture and build up though. I have used kinky curly come clean about 3 times and ACV (1x every 1-2 months) to clarify since I went cg in may. I don't think it's a big deal unless you notice decreased moisture.

Thank you soo much for the information. Question what is your CG routine?

alove15

Prettycoach said:
Ladies, What are your CG routines? I am trying to look at different ways to narrow down a concrete CG routine.

1-2x weekly:
-DC w/ Aubrey Organics GPB or Honeysucklerose
-Cowash and finger detangle w/ Tresemme Naturals NM
-Apply a leave in (Oyin Hair Dew, Curl Junkie Rehab)
-Seal (Coconut oil or Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade)
-Airdry overnight in 15-18 twists for a twistout

*sometimes I skip the dc and go straight to cowash
*wash and goes are not my jam, stretched=less tangles
*1x every 1-2 months I clarify w/ diluted acv

DDTexlaxed

I love this method! This is the first time I have been able to get second day hair with little effort! I am also getting rid of products with crappy ingredients in them. My hair has never been as soft and moisturized. I no longer have a gel helmet of hair on my head.:yay:

AJellyCake

faithVA Sorry, I've been meaning to ask this for a while.

Are the estimates for the lengths of time it takes to achieve rehydration based on cowashing every day? So even if it's not necessary to cowash every day, doing so might make it take longer for the hair to rehydrate?

What are your thoughts?

TIA! :yep:

faithVA

[USER=322545 said:
AJellyCake[/USER];17128647]@faithVA Sorry, I've been meaning to ask this for a while.

Are the estimates for the lengths of time it takes to achieve rehydration based on cowashing every day? So even if it's not necessary to cowash every day, doing so might make it take longer for the hair to rehydrate?

What are your thoughts?

TIA! :yep:

Yes I think the estimates are based on cowashing or water rinsing everyday. In the CG book, she mentions water touching the hair every day. Technically you wouldn't have to cowash but you would have to water rinse or do something to get a large dose of water on your hair daily.