What is the best method of drying hair to gain and retain length?

What is the best method of drying hair?

• Air dry

Votes: 69 51.9%
  • Blow dry

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Rollersetting w/heat

Votes: 47 35.3%
  • Rollersetting w/out heat

Votes: 11 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Halimah

LHCF Ladies,

Just wanted to know what method do you use for drying your hair to gain and retain length, and more importantly what method of drying is more healthier for your hair? TIA

JustKiya

I air-dry, only.

I don't know which is healthier - I know having too MUCH heat on your hair is bad period, and having too much heat on WET hair is a one way ticket to breakage & split ends.

I know having too much tension on your hair as it dries is a bad thing, because it stretches more when wet, and that can cause breakage.

So - I think that as long as you aren't doing your rollerset too tight, and aren't keeping the dryer on uber-high, I don't know if it will matter.

Butterfly08

I rollerset almost exclusively, either with or without heat. It's the only way to smooth the cuticle of my hair down without wrapping (a lot of manipulation) or direct heat (damaging over time). I tried wng's but my hair tangles easily and starts to shed and break. They're cute for the summer, but if I wear one, it will only be for 1 - 2 days before I wash again and go back to my trusty rollerset. :grin:

poookie

personally i think rollersets under the dryer are better for my hair. i love airdrying because it's so simple, but i noticed that when i go under the dryer, my hair comes out shinier. i think this has something to do with heat helping to close the hair cuticles (but i could be wrong on that) :look:

if i was consistent with my sets, i'm sure i could retain a lot of length doing this.

Crysdon

A rollerset with heat gives you the smoothest hairstyle. I hate airdrying because my hair ends up looking damaged even when it's not.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I havent used a blow dyer or any other direct heat items on my head in 8 months and I am loving the length and thickness I have gained from my hair.:yep:

Last edited:

Traycee

I've been air drying and it's been helping my ends stay healthy....I think roller sets are good to ..I'm just horrible at them

drasgrl

I've been air drying for years now. I used a hair dryer twice last year and that was after a long time of not using one.

Aggie

I air dry even though I like the way my hair looks when I rollerset it with heat but it's too much manipulation as I wash/co-wash at least 3 times per week. I can't afford that much manipulation of my hair. Air drying works well for retention of my hair.

Moroni

A rollerset with heat gives you the smoothest hairstyle. I hate airdrying because my hair ends up looking damaged even when it's not.

ITA, only I don't have time to rollerset with each wash...soooooo, this afternoon after my co-wash, I detangled under the water, then applied coconut oil, smoothed my hair down with my Denman, tied a scarf on it, rolled the ends up with 4 rollers, and BAM! After a few minutes (less than 30) under the dryer and a few hours in the rollers while I got other stuff done around the house, my hair looks GREAT! Smooth, the ends look nice as if I had rollerset my entire head. THANK YOU SYLVER2!!!

TaurusAngel

I love Airdrying. But Rollersets are my fave. Just gotta learn to do them on my own instead of heading to the salon all the time. :grin:

SleepyJean

I think for naturals, it is best to air dry. Although, I'm horrible at rollersets, I think a rollerset without heat is best for relaxed hair. I've seen some pretty relaxed/air dried rollersets on this board. The rollerset does seem like a lot of manipulation, but many members have done it successfully. That's why I think it is better in general. I like this thread.

Last edited:

silkii_locks

I voted for rollersetting with heat b/c it has completely transformed my hair. Check out my pics below, I was able to achieve this from deep conditioning and rollersetting under a soft bonnet dryer every week. Before LHCF I used to blow dry and hot curl or flat iron my hair every time I washed my hair. My hair was so dry and damaged and it always stayed one length b/c I had to keep getting it cut b/c my ends were so chewed up!:wallbash: Now that I only rollerset, my hair has just thrived, its stronger, smoother and holds moisture much better. I think rollersetting is just awesome. The proof is in the pudding!!

The before pics were taken 11/14/07 and the after pics were taken today 02/08/08.

Attachments

• 100_0010[1].jpg
    100_0010[1].jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 17
  • th_100_0364[1].jpg
    th_100_0364[1].jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_0011[3].jpg
    100_0011[3].jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_0361[1].jpg
    100_0361[1].jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Isis

LHCF Ladies,

Just wanted to know what method do you use for drying your hair to gain and retain length, and more importantly what method of drying is more healthier for your hair? TIA
From my experience, it is airdrying in a rollerset. :yep::up: I've been doing this since the beginning of this LHCF journey and have gained much health and length. The only thing that has changed has been my rollersetting technques--I know a few now. :)

graCeful_89

When I do airdry, I make sure to moisturize the ends more then anything else, because they tend to look all frazzled and sickly even when they're not. When blowdry, I do the same thing but use low-heat and try to do it quickly.

DayStar

i dont have problems using heat...probably because i use it "correctly"...so im going to say blow dry ( with lots of leave in and serum added!) ...sometimes i roller set to get curls

caramelcutieinva

I usually airdry in braids
I like rollersets but my hair is thick and takes too long to dry. I also do not have the skill to do them at this time. I may incorporate the into my regimen this spring.