Natural curly beauties: What is your curly method/ routine?

What method/ routine do you use for your curls?

• Wet hair with a full strength conditioner left in it only.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Wet hair with a leave-in or watered-down full strength conditioner in it.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Oil or cream moisturizer under a gel product. If so, name the products.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Gel only. If so, name the product.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Oil only. If so name the oils.

• Other...please describe routine and list products.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Products????? Girl please, I just wet and go!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Diva_Esq

Contemplating a BC at my year-post mark. I have about 6-6.5 inches of NG right now. Trying to explore my curly method/ routine options.

What works for you to make your curls cute?

Whether you have a TWA, a BAA or long hair, what method do you use to keep your curls poppin' all day?

How do you keep your hair from feeling crunchy?

How do you ward off flakes if you use a gel-based product?

Please explain your steps if necessary. :yep::yep::yep:

TIA & HHG!

Last edited:

Bene

Wow...really??? Nobody?? :perplexed:

Oh well.

I'm your huckleberry :D

Sorry, was just watching clips of Tombstone.

I oil. A few drops of whatever oil I have nearby. Lately I've been using sweet almond oil, but I'll go with grapeseed, rice bran, or camellia if they happen to be near at the time.

edit:

Just went looking at my reggie blog thingy so I could copy and paste info.

If I want to go curly curly (not just wavy curly), I just have to air dry completely once I've de-tangled, but since I'm also fighting frizz, I have a spritzer thingy full of this

In a 4oz mister, mix the following:

2 tbsp aloe gel
1 tsp jojoba
1 tsp glycerin (you can leave it out if you don't have any)
essential oils of choice

Add water until full, then shake. Spritz onto damp hair and then literally leave my hair the **** alone. If I so much as touch it while still damp, it goes poof.

Last edited:

honeybuni84

I use conditioner mixed with oils... gel made my hair hard and strange.... after i let it stretch a little under the hooded drier in braids. then i take it out, then rebraid to get more stretch out of it...... i am still learning with my hair.. it does odd things lol

1. I wash/condition or co-wash
2. Apply leave in (either HH HH or Kinky Curly Knot Today)
(I NEVER apply oil)
3. I finger-rake Kinky Curly Curling Custard on my hair on a 1.5inch X 1.5 inch sized section. I then brush it 2-3 times with my Denman and then my curls POP. For extra definition, I grab the ends of each curl and twist them around my fingers (similar to coilouts but not so defined)
4. Allow it to air dry, it takes my hair 6-8 hours, but I live in the south and it's warm.

I don't have flakes, but I am guessing the absence of oil + the quality of my products helps with the flakes

My hair is about 6-7 inches long and when stretched is collarbone length. When curly it looks like a full fro.

Last edited:

Diva_Esq

1. I wash/condition or co-wash
2. Apply leave in (either HH HH or Kinky Curly Knot Today)
(I NEVER apply oil)
3. I finger-rake Kinky Curly Curling Custard on my hair on a 1.5inch X 1.5 inch sized section. I then brush it 2-3 times with my Denman and then my curls POP. For extra definition, I grab the ends of each curl and twist them around my fingers (similar to coilouts but not so defined)
4. Allow it to air dry, it takes my hair 6-8 hours, but I live in the south and it's warm.

I don't have flakes, but I am guessing the absence of oil + the quality of my products helps with the flakes

My hair is about 6-7 inches long and when stretched is collarbone length. When curly it looks like a full fro.

Do you have any pics or your finished hair?

THANK YOU for the steps spelled out! :D

Diva_Esq

I'm your huckleberry :D

Sorry, was just watching clips of Tombstone.

I oil. A few drops of whatever oil I have nearby. Lately I've been using sweet almond oil, but I'll go with grapeseed, rice bran, or camellia if they happen to be near at the time.

edit:

Just went looking at my reggie blog thingy so I could copy and paste info.

If I want to go curly curly (not just wavy curly), I just have to air dry completely once I've de-tangled, but since I'm also fighting frizz, I have a spritzer thingy full of this

In a 4oz mister, mix the following:

2 tbsp aloe gel
1 tsp jojoba
1 tsp glycerin (you can leave it out if you don't have any)
essential oils of choice

Add water until full, then shake. Spritz onto damp hair and then literally leave my hair the **** alone. If I so much as touch it while still damp, it goes poof.

:lachen: I've heard that touching = frizz city, so I will follow that advice!

prettyinpurple

Aveda Be Curly works like a charm to bring my curls out. I use it in the morning to revive my curls, and sometimes after washing if (if going for the curly look). It doesn't leave my curls crunchy.

I rarely wet my air b/c it just shrinks right on up lol. Only gets wet when I wash it.

TrendySocialite

I use a combination of MahaganyCurls curly girl method and NaturallyNike's diffuser method on YouTube mostly. I've modified it a bit for my own personal tastes...

I co-wash w ORS Replenishing & Affirm for Color Treated Hair

Detangle

Showercap while I shave/bathe

Rinse

Put in Cantu Shea Leave In

Shake head vigorously!

Finish Showering (usually use my bodywash this time to get rid of any product that may have dripped on my skin)

Once I'm out of shower I put straightening serum (helps me with frizz), oil mix and Hawaiian Silky 14-1

Shake head vigorously again

Finger define curls (coil method with fingers)

Use concentrator nozzle on cool low heat to evaporate dripping water (I do not plop because it flattened my curls too much for my taste; plus i like a slightly wild curly look)

Air dry

Diva_Esq

Aveda Be Curly works like a charm to bring my curls out. I use it in the morning to revive my curls, and sometimes after washing if (if going for the curly look). It doesn't leave my curls crunchy.

I rarely wet my air b/c it just shrinks right on up lol. Only gets wet when I wash it.

What do you do with your hair to sleep?

Diva_Esq

I use a combination of MahaganyCurls curly girl method and NaturallyNike's diffuser method on YouTube mostly. I've modified it a bit for my own personal tastes...

I co-wash w ORS Replenishing & Affirm for Color Treated Hair

Detangle

Showercap while I shave/bathe

Rinse

Put in Cantu Shea Leave In

Shake head vigorously!

Finish Showering (usually use my bodywash this time to get rid of any product that may have dripped on my skin)

Once I'm out of shower I put straightening serum (helps me with frizz), oil mix and Hawaiian Silky 14-1

Shake head vigorously again

Finger define curls (coil method with fingers)

Use concentrator nozzle on cool low heat to evaporate dripping water (I do not plop because it flattened my curls too much for my taste; plus i like a slightly wild curly look)

Air dry

Thanks! :D I like wild curly too! :)

imstush

co-washing often
I just started using Ouidad heat and humidity gel and I absolutely love it! It defines my curls and they aren't frizzy.
Prior to that I would just leave a thick conditioner on my hair like Pantene or mane and tail
Let air dry

I'm still trying to find a sleep method. Now I just normally just put in one big braid. Before that I would put my hair in 4 huge twists, but that makes my hair more wavy then curly. The stylist at Ouidad told me all I need to do is put my hair in one large ponytail on top of my head and go to sleep (my pillowcase is satin). But I haven't tried that yet.

TrendySocialite

co-washing often
I just started using Ouidad heat and humidity gel and I absolutely love it! It defines my curls and they aren't frizzy.
Prior to that I would just leave a thick conditioner on my hair like Pantene or mane and tail
Let air dry

I'm still trying to find a sleep method. Now I just normally just put in one big braid. Before that I would put my hair in 4 huge twists, but that makes my hair more wavy then curly. The stylist at Ouidad told me all I need to do is put my hair in one large ponytail on top of my head and go to sleep (my pillowcase is satin). But I haven't tried that yet.

I can see how that would work, because that is recommended to keep curls with a rollerset...and it does work.

NaturalPath

detangle prior on dry hair

shampoo: carols daughter black vanilla herbal shampoo

condition: giovanni direct smooth as silk , or Carols daughtor black vanilla hair smoothie

detangle with "denman"

smooth kinky curly knot today leave-in or giovanni direct leave-in

Airdy (NO TOUCHING)

blowdry on cold temp to finish the drying process

Apply carols daughtor hair milk to finish

Hair is always soft and moisturize, I prefer the kinky curly rather than the giovanni direct

Eritreladiee

When my hair is wet I divide it into sections and shingle using Rene Furterer Control Emulsion Anti-Frizz.

Then I'll apply a little oil (a sweet almond, coconut, olive oil mixture) OR gel (Fantasia IC Aloe) depending on how much hold or frizz I want (i like a little frizz sometimes :)- typically i just use oil and air dry. If I use gel, then i'll diffuse then stretch with a concentrator- so it'll dry faster and it loses it's crunch that way. If there is still a bit of crunch you could always add a bit of oil overtop to loosen it.

So long as I shingle on wet hair and keep my hands outta my hair, the curls will be defined. But I will fluff my hair to add bigness and that generally comes with a little bit of frizz

BellaM

When I want frizz free curls, I co-wash with any conditioner and style my hair with setting lotion. Just let it air dry. Voila! Frizz free curls with sealed ends...

Filmatic

Cowash with whatever. Detangle if necessary in shower with Denman

Section in 4

smooth each section with Lustrasilk mixed with EVOO. Seal with Criso mixed with coconut oil

put each section in ponytail til 60% dry

Take out band and let airdry in summer or diffuse in winter.

I have tested this and I can usually go a week wit it.

WantNatural

I have a 4-5 inch twa stretched. I'm still learning but this is what I do:

Cowash w/TJ Nourish Spa
Giovanni Direct Leave-In
Massage in olive oil
Section hair w/butterfly clips
Rake and smooth Ecostyler gel through each section
Quick rinse with cold water - either in the shower or I cup water from the sink in my hands and pour it over my hair
Shake head vigorously
Air dry

If I do this in the evening my hair is still pretty damp in the morning. I sleep with a bonnet and then run my fingers through my hair to wake up the curls. Yes it can cause some frizz but my hair is so short right now I have to give the curls some volume. If my hair dries before going to bed I still just use a bonnet but in the morning I spray water w/conditioner and then run some oil lightly over my hair to pick out the curls a bit. It can last a week. The rest of the evenings I moisturize and baggy at night so that my hair is damp in the morning. Moisture is the best thing for my curls. If my hair gets too frizzy a few days in I rewet my hair, section, and rake a little more gel through to bring the defined curls back. You can add a little oil later if your hair feels crunchy with the gel. Sorry so long, hope it helps!

honeisos

I use Cantu Shea butter leave in ... I section my hair in small sections then smooth a generous amount on a section.... keeping my hair wet the whole time i'm smoothing... then I smooth a gel on top of that .. YES u can mix CANTU with a gel lol .. I know folks hate or love it .. Now this was with trial and error .. but Elasta QP FEELS LIKE SLIK gel is not a hard gel .. its got a soft hold and can be put right on top on Cantu .. no white balls !! lol
Ok then I smooth each curl .. It takes forever ... but I do not have to do my hair for the rest of the week .. I braid it up at night in 2-4 braids and cover with a satin bonnet .. I BC'd with about ten inches of new growth

Rastafarai

Contemplating a BC at my year-post mark. I have about 6-6.5 inches of NG right now. Trying to explore my curly method/ routine options.

What works for you to make your curls cute?

Whether you have a TWA, a BAA or long hair, what method do you use to keep your curls poppin' all day?

How do you keep your hair from feeling crunchy?

How do you ward off flakes if you use a gel-based product?

Please explain your steps if necessary. :yep::yep::yep:

TIA & HHG!

I finally found what works for my 3c/4a hair for my wash-n-gos:

I first wet and detangle my hair with my beloved Suave Coconut condish. I then slather on as a leave-in the same condition or Organix Coconut condish (I find this works better in popping my curls).

I proceed by rubbing in raw unrefined shea butter into my hair. I first melt/soften it in the microwave before putting this into my hair.

I then seal with Kinky Curly Curling Custard. I usually airdry or, if I'm rushed for time diffuse for about 10 minutes. And voila!!! I have curls for days. :grin::grin::grin:

Last edited:

Hysi

whn i wear curly i co-wash or if it's after my full saturday wash, i use infusium, lacio lacio leave in (after detangling in shower with condish) and proceed to use a moisturizing product like qp elasta moisturizer or curl soufle or something of that nature, then mix a little eco styler gel with glycerin and oil, and denman in. i am finding that as it grows i denman in then finger them through. and leave it alone.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Hey,
I saw this post yesterday but we've talked before and you know most of my routine. Looks like you've got some great advice though. I can't wait to see your BC! You betta PM me when you do it already! LOL

biancaelyse

I have a very simple regimen.

Co wash with VO5 or whatever I am trying to finish off.

Rinse about 75% or it out, leaving just a little of it in.

Apply whichever castor/coconut/grapeseed/rice bran oil to my hair, a little heavier on the ends.

Wrap hair in turby twist towel until mostly dry

Air dry the rest of the way

Nina_deF

I am loving all these simple and easy methods!
You guys are making me think about an early BC.....

Thanks for all the tips!

Diva_Esq

Hey,
I saw this post yesterday but we've talked before and you know most of my routine. Looks like you've got some great advice though. I can't wait to see your BC! You betta PM me when you do it already! LOL

Will make a thread when I do, b/c it'll be a big deal for me! :yep: Never had short hair before! LOL, can you tell I'm nervous and want as much info as possible???? :look:

I am loving all these simple and easy methods!
You guys are making me think about an early BC.....

Thanks for all the tips!

I agree! Having the tips, product suggestions, etc. is most helpful! And surprisingly, most are very simple!

Boricua40

Hello
I'm still trying to figure out what works well with my curly hair, but what I do right now is I condition wash almost everyday then I rinse it out. Then I apply a regular conditioner and an oil on top , avocado oil etc. then I put a little gel thru my hair and thats it.

danigurl18

I cowash, put in Giovanni direct leave in or cantu shea butter, a little aloe gel on the edges, then don't touch it at all