Nail Your Regimen Challenge 2014

mz.rae

Tried a twist out again, and I really dont think I will be doing these for awhile. They take so long to take out and I hate how my ends rub together when taking them down. Will definitely just stick to braid outs, I always get big hair the first day I do braid outs and my ends don't rub together. I do want to try flat twists though. But I think for the remainder of this no heat usuage I'm going to stick with braid outs and buns.

spellinto

Maybe my stylist was right when he said that a quality deep conditioner should be enough to keep my hair moisturized for days. Maybe I should just depend on the performance of my wash day products and stop "retouching" with moisture so often? I've stopped moisturizing daily and my hair responded really well to it. Also, when I get lazy and leave my hair alone in a bun for a few days, it actually feels really nice when I take it down....no retouches necessary. Plus, I'm reading a few older threads on here about ladies who just leave their hair alone until wash day, only moisturizing if their hair feels like it absolutely needs it. Maybe my ends split so often because they have too much product on them?

I'm going to test this out. On my wash day, I will use a clarifying shampoo, a stronger protein conditioner, and my staple DC. Then I'll apply my leave-ins to air dry and just watch my hair for the rest of the week.

HanaKuroi

spellinto said:
Maybe my stylist was right when he said that a quality deep conditioner should be enough to keep my hair moisturized for days. Maybe I should just depend on the performance of my wash day products and stop "retouching" with moisture so often? I've stopped moisturizing daily and my hair responded really well to it. Also, when I get lazy and leave my hair alone in a bun for a few days, it actually feels really nice when I take it down....no retouches necessary. Plus, I'm reading a few older threads on here about ladies who just leave their hair alone until wash day, only moisturizing if their hair feels like it absolutely needs it. Maybe my ends split so often because they have too much product on them?

I'm going to test this out. On my wash day, I will use a clarifying shampoo, a stronger protein conditioner, and my staple DC. Then I'll apply my leave-ins to air dry and just watch my hair for the rest of the week.

I love buying dc's. What are u using?

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

spellinto

I love buying dc's. What are u using?

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

HanaKuroi DC's are fun :yep: My staple deep conditioner is the Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask. For protein, I use the Aphogee 2 Min Reconstructor, but I question whether it's giving me enough protein. I would like to try the Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus for protein.

faithVA

Let us know how it works out.

faithVA

I'm experimenting right now with the same regimen Tashboog is trying. I won't have any real updates for a month or two.

Beany

I don't know why I keep attempting braidouts smh, they never turn out right, not ever. Guess I'll cowash and (try) to bun.

faithVA

I've been cowashing every other day. Very time consuming but in this heat my hair and scalp are thanking me.

For right now my regimen is clarify, DC, mudwash, rinse. Then I apply my AIA leave-in, hairveda shikakai oil and flat twist with AIA twist defining creme. I'm oiling my scalp with nature's blessing and spritzing my hair with diluted marshmallow balm.

Beany

What's wrong with your braidouts?

They are always frizzy and uber undefined. I could get the same results doing a wng lol. It also takes almost two days for my hair to dry in 6 braids. I want to try a 3 strand twist out soon.

faithVA

They are always frizzy and uber undefined. I could get the same results doing a wng lol. It also takes almost two days for my hair to dry in 6 braids. I want to try a 3 strand twist out soon.

Maybe you need to let your hair get to 60% to 80% dry before you braid it up. Maybe apply your twisting cream or whatever you use just before you braid it.

Twist to dry a bit faster.

Beany

Maybe you need to let your hair get to 60% to 80% dry before you braid it up. Maybe apply your twisting cream or whatever you use just before you braid it.

Twist to dry a bit faster.

How would I wear my hair while it air dries? My shrinkage is so real. When I twist my hair I usually twist on damp air that has been braided.

faithVA

[USER=273338 said:
Beany[/USER];20227163]How would I wear my hair while it air dries? My shrinkage is so real. When I twist my hair I usually twist on damp air that has been braided.

Maybe you can twist loosely so it doesn't shrink all the way up or maybe you can clamp the roots and the middle to keep it partially stretched. You definitely do have to let it completely dry, but just dry enough so it will dry by morning. For my hair that is leaving out for about 2 hours.

Beany

Maybe you can twist loosely so it doesn't shrink all the way up or maybe you can clamp the roots and the middle to keep it partially stretched. You definitely do have to let it completely dry, but just dry enough so it will dry by morning. For my hair that is leaving out for about 2 hours.

Hmmm that sounds like something I could do. I have also wanted to give banding a try. I may stroll over to sally's.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
[USER=273338]Beany[/USER];20227123 said:

My hair takes forever to dry too. One thing that helps me is leaving my hair in a microfiber towel for about 15 mins first. Also, I got my smoothest braid out from Qhemet Biologics burdock root butter cream.

uofmpanther

I've been doing a lot of puffs and wash n gos. For puffs, I've been using pink eco Styler gel, but I tried the Argan Oil recently and I don't see a difference.

For wash n gos, my hair seems to like gel that is the consistency of snot, like Kinky Curly Curling Custard and Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic. I want to try making flax seed gel, which has the same consistency. My hair also likes jane Carter curl defining cream. I think that's what I'll use this weekend.

Last edited:

faithVA

Long wash day yesterday but I finished. I cleansed with acv, did a protein treatment with hairveda acai berry conditioner, DCd under the dryer and did a mudwash. Used AIA leave in, sealed with hairveda Shikakai and twisted with AIA twist defining cream. My twist have improved from April.

uofmpanther

I tried a Jane Carter wash n go, but it didn't look great. I think it was my technique because it was awesome last time. Maybe I used too much product.

I ended up twisting, but the twistout didn't come out great either. Now I'm braiding. I think my hair prefers braidouts for definition.

spellinto

Nailed the crosswrapping part of my regimen! Whenever I crosswrapped during a stretch, the back of my hair would be less smooth than the front because I couldn't get it to lie flat. Finally thought to section one half up & out of the way while smoothing across the other half, and then taking the sectioned half down and repeating. Also learned to remove the duckbill clips so I can avoid dents and discomfort.

Last edited:

OhmyKimB

This challenge has been awesome. I washed my hair on Sunday and I could tell my hair has gotten longer. I even took a comparison picture and there is a big difference.

Granted summer time is when my hair, personally, grows the fastest but this is the only time I've noticed just washing it.

I just need to get back to washing 4-5 days and away from 7 again. Setting a style with a dryer seems to be okay, as well as airdrying.

I think I've gotten a good protein/moisture balance as well. I think that may also be the biggest factor in my rentention. Unless it was just a growth spurt I noticed.

faithVA

This challenge has been awesome. I washed my hair on Sunday and I could tell my hair has gotten longer. I even took a comparison picture and there is a big difference.

Granted summer time is when my hair, personally, grows the fastest but this is the only time I've noticed just washing it.

I just need to get back to washing 4-5 days and away from 7 again. Setting a style with a dryer seems to be okay, as well as airdrying.

I think I've gotten a good protein/moisture balance as well. I think that may also be the biggest factor in my rentention. Unless it was just a growth spurt I noticed.

I'm glad you are getting your regimen down. Sounds like you have had some really good progress.

faithVA

Still clarifying/conditioning/mudding every other day through the holiday. Hair is definitely more hydrated. Will be switching over to new products after the holiday. Will update then.

curlyTisME

Washing weekly is essential for me. Cowashing was not doing my hair justice. Still learning the likes and dislikes of my hair but hopefully by New Years I'll be all set.

faithVA

Decided to stick to clarifying and DCing during the week. I will clarify, DC and mud on the weekends when I have more time.

alanaturelle

Hi ladies, I know it's been a while; I've checking the thread but not just posting. I'm still consistent with my regimen. I flat ironed my hair over the weekend and did a length check. I decided to give up on my hair growing unevenly. So I didn't trim this time around. I will see how it looks when December comes. The good thing is that I never wear my hair out, :).

ETA: Sorry about the picture being sideways; I'm posting from my phone and don't know how to fix it.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140708_080617.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140708_080617.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 11

spellinto

I made a lot of new changes to my hair care routine:

Bought a stronger, high quality protein with ceramides
Purchased a wonderful spray leave in for damp hair when air drying
Stopped bunning with microfiber scrunchies...I switched to using long elastic headbands
Learned how to make cute messy buns without tension (actually just learned this one today!)
Improved my cross wrapping technique

I'm also working on my wash day & trimming technique, my moisturizing and sealing, and growing out my nape.

Last edited:

Beany

I have been lazy with my hair (again). I need a really good detangling session and a light trim. Next week I'm getting weave for my sister's wedding. I really don't want to, but I can't achieve the style she wants with my hair :rolleyes: I started to just get a wig that way after all the pics and stuff I can wear MY hair at the reception lol.

Anyway, I'm in 12 twists right now looking a hot damn mess.

snoop

Did a co wash last Friday then detangled on the weekend. I noticed that in the back (nape area) I have a few bits that are half the lenghth of the rest of my hair. I'm not sure if it's a result of wearing my twists in a bun or if this is new growth trying to catch up. My roots are starting to feel thicker than the rest of my hair so I'm hoping that it was the result of new growth. I'm planning on wearing a twist out on the weekend so I'll have to inspect the other parts of my hair before I put my hair back in twists.