Nail Your Regimen Challenge 2014

faithVA

My hair is feeling better. I think it is a combination of my regimen but also consistently doing S&D to get rid of the splits. Not sure what is giving me positive results but going to stick with it.

What's working so far
1. Cleansing 2x a week
2. Kimmaytube leave-in variation
3. Spritzing with ph balanced spritz
4. S&D each wash day and dusting 1x a month
5. Protein treatment after dusting
6. Overnight DC after protein treatment.

Last night I sealed with Dax jojoba oil pomade and I think for the first time I have found a sealant. But will wait and see.

My regimen for a while is
1. Cleanse 1x a month; Other weeks: cowash/DC/water rinse/tea cleanse
2. Spritz with ph balance spritz
3. Kimmaytube leave-in
4. Seal with pomade
5. Flat twist or 2 strand twist
6. Spritz 2x a day and seal as needed

Since March may hair has gotten softer and stays moisturized a bit longer. I have reduced splits. And my crown is filling in more. My crown hair is starting to blend with the rest of my hair.

Beany

I've been baggying almost nightly and my twists feel nice, but my scalp is itchy and dirty. I'm gonna wash my twists tomorrow. These mini twists have been in for about two weeks and they are starting to look old, I need them to hang on another week though.

My grays are getting more aggressive :sad: I'm not due to dye my hair for another month.

OhmyKimB

I cut the last of the relaxed hair...so now I have short...very curly hair all over my head.

Anyway this challenge has been good for me. Protein balance, aloe vera juice, coconut oil, pre poo, and deep conditioning are the things I've found are very important so far. My hair really doesn't like shampoo but I'm still trying it for some odd reason, I added aloe vera to my current shampoo so next wash day I'll see if it's any better.

Now to just have this short curly hair.....

Last edited:

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I finally gave my hair a much needed trim. I cut it curly in small sections and took off about 1/2 inch. Now I have it in curlformers. I haven't decided if I want to straighten it completely and run through it with the split ender. That may be overkill.

snoop

Wash day took two days this weekend because of all the detangling I had to do. Started on Saturday night using a mixture I found in the forum history: KKKT, some conditioner, and a bit of oils on dry hair over night. In the morning I detangled using my fingers and the 3comb smooth. I ended up cutting out a lot of knots and noticed a lot of little broken hairs. I wasn't very good at moisturizing last week and leaving my hair or for so long was definitely a hair sin.

After I was thinking about mud washing since I haven't in so long but I got lazy to mix things. I'm confident with my product choices that I didn't feel too bad about it. Shampooed and conditioned and detangled again in the shower. Then put Mr hair in some struggling Bantu knots and slathered moisturizer on it while wet then went to sleep.

Will m/s today then style tomorrow. Having properly detangled my Hattie feels so much softer.

I need to start getting militant with my hair again if I expect to have any hope of reaching BSL by the end of the year.

faithVA

Thank you ladies for keeping this thread going. Sometimes life gets busy and I don't get in here enough.

faithVA

I found by doing flat twist all to the right side, I can flat twist my hair faster and just put in 8 flat twists. This should allow me to do my hair every 3 days. I want to increase how often I am getting water on my scalp and hair. On days where I stay out in the sun for hours I really want to get water on my hair.

While I am doing the additional washes this week I will be comparing using oil, pomades and balms for my O step in LOC.

Willow00

It feels great to have smooth ends. i may trim my hair in twists every three or four months . So my next trim is mid Aug or Sept. thank goodness for my phone calendar...things like bills being paid on time and. hair care would never be done without it.next thing up...rinse hair this weekend. i won't dangle and retwist. my hair until June.

mz.rae

I think I am going to put my hair on a 3 month no heat usuage. I will follow my usual wash day routine, but instead of flat ironing I will do braid outs and just put it in a bun. I noticed great success in doing this while relaxed, so hopefully I will see the same success natural. I may incorporate washing in sections during the 3 months, I will see.

faithVA

Washing/Cleansing my scalp and hair twice a week is paying off. Even with the heat my scalp isn't bothering me. It probably helped that I did extra washes while I was out in the sun this weekend.

Still rolling through products.

Willow00

Just finished two hours and forty minutes of continuous detangling, twisting, and putting my hair in bantu knots. That time is ridiculous, but I'm actually really content. My edges are doing great, and my hair is getting longer and seems more tangled free with each wash day. I did a once over check on my scalp and hair, and both are clean and healthy. I really think the water with acv has helped my scalp normalize....no flakes, no itching, no inflamed areas. The black castor oil and grape seed oil seems to also heal my scalp as well. I'm definitely going to stick to this low maintenance routine.

Beany

Took my twists out on Friday and spent the rest of the weekend prepooing, washing, DCing, and air drying. I went to 6 flags on saturday thinking I could air dry in 12 braids and I was a greasy mess. The oils/butters in my hair were just melting all over me smh. My heavy handedness strikes again.

faithVA

Took my twists out on Friday and spent the rest of the weekend prepooing, washing, DCing, and air drying. I went to 6 flags on saturday thinking I could air dry in 12 braids and I was a greasy mess. The oils/butters in my hair were just melting all over me smh. My heavy handedness strikes again.

I have done that and had oil running down my neck and temples :nono: It's miserable :lol:

charmtreese

You're not alone! This has happened to me as well!

mz.rae

Got my hands on the original formula of the s curl no drip moisturiser. My hair loved this when I was relaxed and it made my new growth soft. Hopefully my natural hair likes it just as much. I have just been washing, deep conditioning, applying my leave ins, and then braiding my hair for braid out. I wear it down over the weekend, and then during the week it's nothing but buns. Every night I moisturize and seal, then braid my hair. In the past I noticed my hair reacted better to glycerin based moisturizers versus oil based moisturizers so I am seeing if that still is true.

Last edited:

levette

I originally hosted this in 2011 and after a set back have had to start all over. Let's nail our regimens in 2014. Tell us About You Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: Current Length: Current Products: Current Techniques: What in your regimen are trying to nail: What's your starting strategy: Anything else you want to share: ***Check in weekly/monthly to update us on your progress.

I'm relaxed and just had about 2 inches cut to restart my hair journey.
Wash about 1-2times a wk with Shea moisture shampoo
Conditioner.... Cholesterol
Airdry most it the time
Half wigs at times but bit consistently

faithVA

I'm relaxed and just had about 2 inches cut to restart my hair journey.
Wash about 1-2times a wk with Shea moisture shampoo
Conditioner.... Cholesterol
Airdry most it the time
Half wigs at times but bit consistently

Welcome levette? Do you apply any product after you condition or is conditioning your last step?

OhmyKimB

No to Hawaian Silky. My hair is over moisturized, I'm definitely doing a protein treatment tonight. My hair seems to lean more to the protein side of things I see.

snoop

Had to go to Jamaica last weekend for a funeral. While there, I'm telling you the humidity was an amazing treat on my hair. As soon as I came back (I'm talking, the same night) I noticed how much drier my hair got from sitting on the plan and then being back home, even though I wore my head scarf for the journey. Man, if I could live in the Caribbean and have access to all of my hair products, I'd be TBL in no time!

What I realized before going is that I don't have to twist my hair as small as I'd normally do it and still be able to put it into a pony tail/bun. I'd could probably do the whole thing in about 45 minutes and then refresh halfway through the week if I needed to or wait until the weekend and retwist. I'm going to try this for a few weeks and see how it goes. It'll allow me to have better control with finger combing and removing shed hairs without overly manipulating my hair with the comb. If it works out I'd probably end up combing at the end of each month.

That being said I really need to have a good dusting session, but have always done it with my hair in smaller twists (which I don't feel like doing this weekend.) Is there anyway to trim without straightening?

faithVA

Had to go to Jamaica last weekend for a funeral. While there, I'm telling you the humidity was an amazing treat on my hair. As soon as I came back (I'm talking, the same night) I noticed how much drier my hair got from sitting on the plan and then being back home, even though I wore my head scarf for the journey. Man, if I could live in the Caribbean and have access to all of my hair products, I'd be TBL in no time!

What I realized before going is that I don't have to twist my hair as small as I'd normally do it and still be able to put it into a pony tail/bun. I'd could probably do the whole thing in about 45 minutes and then refresh halfway through the week if I needed to or wait until the weekend and retwist. I'm going to try this for a few weeks and see how it goes. It'll allow me to have better control with finger combing and removing shed hairs without overly manipulating my hair with the comb. If it works out I'd probably end up combing at the end of each month.

That being said I really need to have a good dusting session, but have always done it with my hair in smaller twists (which I don't feel like doing this weekend.) Is there anyway to trim without straightening?

You can trim by doing some type of roller set. That is what I do. And you can do the roller set on dry hair since you aren't trying to wear it out.

snoop

I hope that I've taken this lesson to heart. For the first time in ages, my ends feel so trashy and it's all because I left my hair loose for about a week and a half. UGH! They're just full of SSKs. I managed to dust last night -- I usually trim off about the with of my thumb. I think I'd need to chop about an inch off to get rid of all of the knots, but that's not happening any time soon.:nono:

Anyway, I'm going to have to take a look at the routine that I posted at the beginning of this thread and then figure out how to update it or just get back to doing it period. Can't afford to have another set back.

faithVA

I hope that I've taken this lesson to heart. For the first time in ages, my ends feel so trashy and it's all because I left my hair loose for about a week and a half. UGH! They're just full of SSKs. I managed to dust last night -- I usually trim off about the with of my thumb. I think I'd need to chop about an inch off to get rid of all of the knots, but that's not happening any time soon.:nono:

Anyway, I'm going to have to take a look at the routine that I posted at the beginning of this thread and then figure out how to update it or just get back to doing it period. Can't afford to have another set back.

Sorry you are going through a spell. Sometimes we just need a break but unfortunately it does come with consequences :ohwell: But at least you caught it and can get back on your regimen.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Update: So I haven't posted in awhile but I'm doing something totally different from when I first joined this challenge. I am now using the Maximum Hydration Method that I read about from another forum. At first I gave this regimen the side eye, but it has really changed my hair and dryness issues :yep:. I've been doing this regimen for a little over a month and I'm finally retaining some moisture, my breakage has decreased, my shedding has decreased, and sporadically I can see some of my curls hydrating into real curls. This regimen does have its pros and cons, and I was told that it'll take at least 26 to 40 treatments to reach maximum hydration, but to me it's well worth it :yep:. I think I've finally found a regimen that my hair is actually responding too :grin:.