Nail Your Regimen Support Thread 2011

SavannahNatural

So I finally found some staple products!

Conditioner for Co-Wash - Aussie Moist
Leave-In Mix - Aloe Vera Juice, Castor Oil, Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil
Curl Enhancing Smoothie - Shea Moisture
Moisture additive - Curly Perm Activator Spray

I'm still searching for a perfect shampoo, but I have a few left to try out. I used the Henna n' Placenta Deep conditioner once, before reading any of the threads, and I loved the outcome. I might have to ignore the warnings and continue to use this product as my DC.

I think my actual regimen may be based solely on what I do to my hair, the amount of product build-up,etc. I loved how my Leave-In mix left my hair feeling after a co-wash.

I'm in the HYH Challenge, but had to use a pass due to family circumstances this past week, so wash n' go's became a staple.

faithVA

So I finally found some staple products!

Conditioner for Co-Wash - Aussie Moist
Leave-In Mix - Aloe Vera Juice, Castor Oil, Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil
Curl Enhancing Smoothie - Shea Moisture
Moisture additive - Curly Perm Activator Spray

Congratulations @blcbuty@ on finding some staples. You actually found quite a few. And there are some good shampoos out there so I think you will be successful soon at finding that as well.

faithVA

I'm still playing around with oil rinses. Its definitely a keeper but want to experiment to find out what is the best way to incorporate this. Instead of putting the oil in my hair, I place water in the sink and add the oil to the water. I like this method. Its easier, I feel like I get the water and oil more evenly in my hair and it allows me to massage my scalp under the water and add some much needed moisture.

I think I prefer doing this as my last step instead of between steps. Although I may put it before my DC for certain styles where I dont' want as much weight added to my hair.

I also want to experiment with the types of oils I use. Castor seems to work very well but not sure about EVOO, jojoba or coconut oil. Sunflower oil is my staple oil and I'm not sure if that is good for oil rinses since it is so light.

So another plus for my regimen.

faithVA

I purchased AOHSR last week and tried it out last night. I didn't have impressive results but I am going to try it again on dry hair and then on freshly shampooed hair.

I think I see a pattern though. I tried Kenra MC which many people loved. It was nice and thick like AOHSR. It felt good going on. However, neither of these make my hair feel good once I rinse. I use TW herbal conditioner which is runny and thin. When I rinse it off, my hair feels wonderful. I am thinking my hair likes a thinner DC vs a heavy one.

I wonder how this translates to other products I use?

KnottyGurl

I'm natural and my regimen is forever changing. I've recently switched from leaving conditioner in my hair to using honey with co-washes and follow with lightly or moderately spraying very damp hair with setting lotion/castor oil/evoo/water mixture, then seal with light grease (thnx bublin). Also notice hair stays softer when I let it airdry. Working great so far. Leave-in conditioner and conditioner was too heavy/drying to leave in, even just a little bit.

FoxxyLocs

I've been posting this all over the board, lol, but I didn't want to leave you ladies out. One of my main issues when I joined this challenge was detangling. I discovered seamless combs, which helped a lot, but I just started pre-pooing with aloe vera juice + coconut oil and it is amazing!!

I saturate my hair with a mix of 1/2 water + 1/2 aloe vera juice, then apply coconut oil on top and let it sit for an hour. Then I detangle and it only takes 30 minutes! Prior to this my best time was 2 hours, so 30 minutes is unheard of. Almost no snagging or breakage and my whole head is fully detangled. Try it out if you are having problems with tangled hair. I hope it works for someone else too. :)

CurlyLawGal

I am soooo excited to say that I FINALLY found protective styles that work!!! First, I mastered an everyday bun that works for my shoulder length hair! This has been a real struggle, yall. I mean, I would leave work and look an absolute HAM! It took me two months, but I've got my bun!!:yay: Second, I found that two strand flat twistouts work so well for my hair. I used to HATE braidouts/twistouts because they NEVER worked on me. I tried one last time and it was a success!

I also found my detangling method: FINGERS! Yep, I'm officially a finger detangler.

So, thus far I have:

Leave-in: Darcy's Botanicals
PS: Bun with black scrunchie or two strand flat twistout
Detangling Method: Fingers and Aussie Moist for slip (if necessary)

faithVA

I've been posting this all over the board, lol, but I didn't want to leave you ladies out. One of my main issues when I joined this challenge was detangling. I discovered seamless combs, which helped a lot, but I just started pre-pooing with aloe vera juice + coconut oil and it is amazing!!

I saturate my hair with a mix of 1/2 water + 1/2 aloe vera juice, then apply coconut oil on top and let it sit for an hour. Then I detangle and it only takes 30 minutes! Prior to this my best time was 2 hours, so 30 minutes is unheard of. Almost no snagging or breakage and my whole head is fully detangled. Try it out if you are having problems with tangled hair. I hope it works for someone else too. :)

Thanks FoxxyLocs. I also prepoo using Chicoro's method which is similar but doesn't use water. I agree prepooing does work well.

Someone just posted recently as well that they put the AVG in their shampoo and it reduced her detangling time. I am assuming AVG wasn't already a major component of her shampoo.

And for other's that are interested there is an entire thread or challenge on it which includes (HOTS, oil rinsing, sealing, etc).

faithVA

I am soooo excited to say that I FINALLY found protective styles that work!!! First, I mastered an everyday bun that works for my shoulder length hair! This has been a real struggle, yall. I mean, I would leave work and look an absolute HAM! It took me two months, but I've got my bun!!:yay: Second, I found that two strand flat twistouts work so well for my hair. I used to HATE braidouts/twistouts because they NEVER worked on me. I tried one last time and it was a success!

I also found my detangling method: FINGERS! Yep, I'm officially a finger detangler.

So, thus far I have:

Leave-in: Darcy's Botanicals
PS: Bun with black scrunchie or two strand flat twistout
Detangling Method: Fingers and Aussie Moist for slip (if necessary)

I am happy for you CurlyLawGal, but where your pictures at young lady :sad: We want to see this bun too. :yep:

I was just talking about that Darcy's Botanicals leave in. Considering purchasing it, but haven't completely decided.

faithVA

I have added sealing the ends of my twist with grease to my regimen. This really seems to be working but I will know definitely when I take out my mini twists. :yep:

CurlyLawGal

I am happy for you @CurlyLawGal, but where your pictures at young lady :sad: We want to see this bun too. :yep:

I was just talking about that Darcy's Botanicals leave in. Considering purchasing it, but haven't completely decided.

I know I know .... I'm so terrible at resizing my pictures from my iphone! Pictures soon to come!

I just love Darcy's. :love2: I really do. Let me know if you give it a try!

faithVA

I was close to nailing my regimen but now I'm in complete revamp mode. This week I am doing a detox with the Terressentials mud wash shampoo and loving the results. So I will be letting go of most products to take full benefit of the results of the detox. But as a result of that now I'm not sure where my regimen is going.

So my tentative regimen will be

I can still keep prepooing and hots since those are oils and Aloe Vera.
I'm replacing my shampoo with the mud wash.
I will probably not DC as often. And when I do I will be making my conditioner.
I think I will keep oil rinsing.
I will retry Chicoro's leave-in
Not sure what I will apply to my twist. I guess either flax seed gel or I will see about making a shea butter mix.

Switching to the mudwash and more homemade products definitely reduces the time it takes to do my hair and definitely cutting my cost down even though I am not really cost conscious. I am hoping this new regimen will really help the health and feel of my hair. We will see.

faithVA

This thread has been very quiet. I guess I could mention people and get some updates. Might close it down early due to slow participation.

Hope everyone is progressing with their regimen.

faithVA

After completly revamping my products, I am definitely in a regimen shift.

Use Terressentials mudwash every week to every two weeks.
Use Zuresh DC to cowash between washes and DC on wash day.
Apply Zuresh Leave-In
Apply gel or butter and twist.

Weekly Moisture:
AVG/oil

1x a month
DC with Zuresh DC or AVG/oil under steamer
Henna

CurlyLawGal

Well... it might be too early to tell, but I think I have nailed my reggie!! :yay:

I switched out a few (ok, most) products that I THOUGHT were staples, but turned out to be causing more harm than good. So, here goes:

Pre-Poo 1x/week: Wheat germ oil and jojoba oil

Wash 1x/week: Giovanni 50/50 Hydrating:Clarifying (Ok, this is the absolute best shampoo I have ever used. It provides more moisture than my purely "moisturizing" shampoos AND it prevents tangles. My hair loves this stuff).

Deep Condition 1x/week: AO HSR w/ 1 tbls EVOO :lick::lick::lick:

Daily Leave-In/Moisturizer: Kinky Curly Knot Today (for some reason, I just did not want to like this product... but now I'm in love), Jane Carter Nourish and Shine, or both

Co-Wash (as needed): DevaCurl One Conditioner

Protein (as needed): Joico K-Pak

Daily Styling: Buns, two-strand flat twist-outs, pin curls

Detangling: fingers and/or wide tooth comb (always with fingers first)

My hair is thriving under this regimen. I thought I had severe heat damage, but my curls have bounced all the way back with a little TLC. I doubt anybody really follows what I say, but I used to be all on some Darcy's Botanicals as a leave-in. While I still love that product, it is just too expensive and difficult to access. If you take out my protein and cowash, I can get everything in my reggie from Whole Foods which is not only good for my hair, but my pockets and gas tank are thriving, as well!

I will definitely check back in if I come across any changes. But, I feel confident in saying that I nailed my regimen in 3 months and 8 days :yep:

faithVA

Well... it might be too early to tell, but I think I have nailed my reggie!! :yay:

I switched out a few (ok, most) products that I THOUGHT were staples, but turned out to be causing more harm than good. So, here goes:

Pre-Poo 1x/week: Wheat germ oil and jojoba oil

Wash 1x/week: Giovanni 50/50 Hydrating:Clarifying (Ok, this is the absolute best shampoo I have ever used. It provides more moisture than my purely "moisturizing" shampoos AND it prevents tangles. My hair loves this stuff).

Deep Condition 1x/week: AO HSR w/ 1 tbls EVOO :lick::lick::lick:

Daily Leave-In/Moisturizer: Kinky Curly Knot Today (for some reason, I just did not want to like this product... but now I'm in love), Jane Carter Nourish and Shine, or both

Co-Wash (as needed): DevaCurl One Conditioner

Protein (as needed): Joico K-Pak

Daily Styling: Buns, two-strand flat twist-outs, pin curls

Detangling: fingers and/or wide tooth comb (always with fingers first)

My hair is thriving under this regimen. I thought I had severe heat damage, but my curls have bounced all the way back with a little TLC. I doubt anybody really follows what I say, but I used to be all on some Darcy's Botanicals as a leave-in. While I still love that product, it is just too expensive and difficult to access. If you take out my protein and cowash, I can get everything in my reggie from Whole Foods which is not only good for my hair, but my pockets and gas tank are thriving, as well!

I will definitely check back in if I come across any changes. But, I feel confident in saying that I nailed my regimen in 3 months and 8 days :yep:

Congratulations :congrats: CurlyLawGal on nailing your regimen. I hope it continues to work well for you. I will add you to the graduate list.

Bublin

@faithVA - you can count me in

I feel on my HHJ i have nailed parts of my regime but not the whole of it. For example heavy sealing has been great but i haven't found my staple moisturiser and i'm not sure of which ingredients make my hair dry and which moisturise it. I just buy too much stuff and try it all at once and can't be sure what has done what.

Anyway after watching a random YT vid the lady on it was using Sof n Free products.
Now, years ago i tried all the 'Juicing' business and i thought glycerine just made my hair coated and dry but i decided to try this product line incorporating the little i do know of what works for my hair. Also, someone in this forum suggested that porous hair tends to like glycerine and hate Aloe but my experiences thus far had proved that it hates both.

So this evening i did this...............
Co-washed with Mane n Tail Conditioner
Mane n Tail Detangler
Sof n Free Moisturiser
Castor Oil to seal
Sof and Free Activator Gel
and then put my hair into about 15 twists and let airdry.

Now that it is almost dry i'm in shock at how soft and moisturised my hair is. Infact my hair is unrecognisable and no crunchiness that usually comes from a gel.

The proof is in the pudding and that will be tomorrow when i undo the twists....but i am confident.

eta - i quite sick of having a ton of products (2 large underbed storage boxes and bathroom overflowing) and having to choose/think about what products to use. I really hope my above regime works out for me.

Last edited:

faithVA

@faithVA - you can count me in

I feel on my HHJ i have nailed parts of my regime but not the whole of it. For example heavy sealing has been great but i haven't found my staple moisturiser and i'm not sure of which ingredients make my hair dry and which moisturise it. I just buy too much stuff and try it all at once and can't be sure what has done what.

Anyway after watching a random YT vid the lady on it was using Sof n Free products.
Now, years ago i tried all the 'Juicing' business and i thought glycerine just made my hair coated and dry but i decided to try this product line incorporating the little i do know of what works for my hair. Also, someone in this forum suggested that porous hair tends to like glycerine and hate Aloe but my experiences thus far had proved that it hates both.

So this evening i did this...............
Co-washed with Mane n Tail Conditioner
Mane n Tail Detangler
Sof n Free Moisturiser
Castor Oil to seal
Sof and Free Activator Gel
and then put my hair into about 15 twists and let airdry.

Now that it is almost dry i'm in shock at how soft and moisturised my hair is. Infact my hair is unrecognisable and no crunchiness that usually comes from a gel.

The proof is in the pudding and that will be tomorrow when i undo the twists....but i am confident.

I hope it works out for you. And you are right, lots of products, mixing and matching can make it hard to narrow things down. I started with my shampoo and narrowed it down 1 product at a time. I used up or threw out 80% of what I had. It really shortens the process.

Imani

UPDATES:

Straight hair-
My goal was to learn to straighten myself. I've given up on that for right now. Think I've heat damaged the hair in the front I was practicing on. I'm not tripping too hard tho bc at least it wasn't my whole head, the rest of my hair has been safely tucked away under my half wig. I think I had the heat too high and needed to focus more on products/techniques vs cranking up the heat. I may try again one day but for now since I rarely where my hair straight I'm not going to bother.

Also, I think I've found a new salon since I've moved that specializes in straightening natural hair. I'm going to my old salon when I visit home in a couple of weeks and I have an appointment with the new salon for Thanksgiving. The stylist emphasizes that they are a low heat salon and don't use irons over 390 degrees. So hopefully this place works out and I can just go to them when I want straight hair.

My usual reggie-
Nothing has changed w/my usual reggie, its basically the same and appears to be working fine. I decided to add some protein conditioners periodically as needed. I have two on hand right now: Aubrey GPB and Aubrey Blue Green Algae.

Other developments-
Tired of wigs and working on learning to twist. Didn't expect to work on this until next yr bc I didn't think my hair would be long enough to be able to pull them back. But surprisingly it is. Undecided if this will be a staple style. I may go back and forth bt the twists and wigs. Don't know if I'm all the way feeling them style wise and also worry about my ends being out with the twists with winter coming up (not really long enough to bun and they look cutest in a ponytail to me).

faithVA

My shampoo regimen its pretty good. I realize now that what I call a regimen are steps I vary as needed week to week. I may do a HOT, mud wash, and style with no conditioner this week. And scalp massage, mud wash, henna, condiitoner, steam and style the following week and cowash and style the following week. Because I am monitoring how my hair feels I am adapting my steps. However, I am keeping my products consistent which I think is important for me and using a combination of techniques that work for me.
So my shampoo regimen is nailed but I always give myself some room for tweaking :yep:

I am still working on my styling regimen. I finally have a leave-in I like, Zuresh Leave It In Conditioner. I like Earthen Springs Naturals shea butter mix. And I wasn't sure if I needed a gel but I do. After all the conditioning, steaming and butters my hair is very soft. And my soft hair is frizzy. So the gel definitely improves the presentation, gives it more hold and I hope will help the twist last better. Will probably result in a better twist out as well.

I still have some learning to do in this area but nothing major. Just having fun now.

cia_garces

@faithVA I'm constantly busy and constantly moving in many directions so I stay inconsistent with my regimen, but I got a spray leave-in so I can spray it and go and have some kind of moisture in my hair. I also got a silk pillow so that if I'm so exhausted when I get in that I just jump in the bed, I still have some kind of protection for my hair. I'm making VERY small incremental changes, so I guess that's a kind of progress. :look:

faithVA

@faithVA I'm constantly busy and constantly moving in many directions so I stay inconsistent with my regimen, but I got a spray leave-in so I can spray it and go and have some kind of moisture in my hair. I also got a silk pillow so that if I'm so exhausted when I get in that I just jump in the bed, I still have some kind of protection for my hair. I'm making VERY small incremental changes, so I guess that's a kind of progress. :look:

cia_garces; maybe you can have a very minimal regimen for the times when you are extremely busy.

But you never know, what you are doing with the leave-in and the pillow case may be enough. Sometimes we need to give our hair a break :lol:

So keep doing what you're doing. :yep:

faithVA

Still tweaking the regimen. Trying to add steaming into my regimen weekly so will work on that for a few weeks. Have discovered that I need to seal my ends as soon as I finish washing/conditioning my hair. So sealing was the last step in my wash regimen, now it has moved up before applying a leave-in. This should protect my ends before and during styling.

Do some type of oil treatment/scalp massage the night before/ day of wash regimen.
Mud wash - (optional: sit on 30 minutes or steam with mud for 20 minutes) ; rinse
Apply conditioner/oil mix and steam for 20 minutes
[optional oil rinse]
Seal ends with shea butter
Apply leave in and let air dry.
Style: apply butter if desires; twist with gel
Apply sunflower oil for shine

Midweek
Mist during the week with SM mist
Apply oil to scalp, baggy or apply heat

cia_garces

@cia_garces; maybe you can have a very minimal regimen for the times when you are extremely busy.

But you never know, what you are doing with the leave-in and the pillow case may be enough. Sometimes we need to give our hair a break :lol:

So keep doing what you're doing. :yep:

I got my hair relaxed on Saturday and I was completely expecting for my hair stylist to say I had bad ends or that my hair was dry or something in that vain. You know what? He actually said that my hair looked REALLY good...ends and all...especially considering the fact that I only see him every 3 months. Go fig. :ohwell: So I guess I'm doing better than I thought.

I see everybody else with their hardcore reggies and think mine is supposed to be that way too. I'll probably increase what I've been doing at a later time and date, but for right now I'll just take your advice. Keep doin' what I'm doing. :)

faithVA

I got my hair relaxed on Saturday and I was completely expecting for my hair stylist to say I had bad ends or that my hair was dry or something in that vain. You know what? He actually said that my hair looked REALLY good...ends and all...especially considering the fact that I only see him every 3 months. Go fig. :ohwell: So I guess I'm doing better than I thought.

I see everybody else with their hardcore reggies and think mine is supposed to be that way too. I'll probably increase what I've been doing at a later time and date, but for right now I'll just take your advice. Keep doin' what I'm doing. :)

Glad that it is going well. This really is a unique journey. Some can or need to do lots and some little and all of that varies :lol: