Nail Your Regimen Challenge 2014

spellinto

So all this week I have been applying Vatika Oil, Aveda Brilliant, and pincurling my hair. This combination has been working so fab! The Vatika Oil makes my hair so soft, I'm starting to prefer this over my grape seed oil. The only thing I hate about it is the smell. But I plan to keep using this for awhile. I bought some Satin rollers to try my next wash day to see how I like those compared to the pincurls. So that's all I've been doing, just pincurling at night then the next day undoing the pin curls, shake and fluff the hair. I'm trying to keep combing to a minimum and only using during wash days.

Ooh! If you use the satin rollers please post pics :yep:

mz.rae

I know I said I wasn't going to wash but every two weeks, but I really want to clarify my hair. So I think I will be washing my hair tomorrow and doing my regimen over. I just want to start the month out with fresh clarified hair. After that I will be back to every two weeks.

ETA: I thought about it and I may or may not use direct heat this wash. I may just rollerset or do a wash and go. I really don't want to flat iron my hair two weeks in a row.

Last edited:

snoop

Uninstalled my two strand twists on Saturday night. Washed yesterday using Giovanni shampoo since I felt that I needed a deep cleansing. Followed up with Giovanni conditioner and the 3comb smooth. I totally forgot about this and think that I need to be more diligent about including a good detangling session every other - every three months.

I did some (really bad) bantu knots but was too lazy to moisturize until this morning. Not sure if that was a good idea, but my hair didn't feel bad this morning. I also think that I'm going to experiment with reducing how often I moisturize and seal now that it's spring. I noticed that by full summer, last summer I didn't need to seal at all. I might also try moisturizing every other day. Trying to reduce the amount of buildup from the oils.

faithVA

My hair held up from last Tuesday. But fortunately it is wash day. My scalp and hair both need some water :yep:

mz.rae

I washed my hair this past Saturday and just did a wash and go. I can't wait till it gets warm and stays warm consistently because this will probably be my go to style when it becomes wasted effort to straighten my hair. Today I just cowashed my hair and did a wash and go again, that was it. At night I just moisturize with care free curl gold and seal with Vatika Oil.

alanaturelle

Washed my hair over the weekend. I prepooed overnight with a hot oil treatment, clarified with diluted shampoo, did an Aphogee protein treatment, and deep conditioned under the steamer for 45 mins, moisturized and sealed, air dried and bunned. I thought about micro trim it but decided to wait. My ends didn't look that bad.

Beany

I THINK the last time I trimmed my hair was November. In some spots I need a good 2 inches cut. I will make time this month to trim my hair really well.

faithVA

I DCd last night. It takes me forever to do my hair :nono: I did a scalp treatment, rinsed, DCd under heat for 30 minutes, spritzed, baggied, air dried and then applied my leave-in, sealed with a grease and twisted with MJ Jelly Soft Curls.

On wash day I have started writing down my suggested regimen for the next wash day to make sure I don't miss steps and to capture any changes I am thinking of making. It has definitely helped. And on wash day I then go through each step and mark whether it is a +, - or ? I do that for techniques as well as for products. I am also keeping track of any experiments I want to try and when I do them I note the results.

I'm not changing too much week to week. I'm just tweaking what I already have. What I am doing right now is at least allowing my hair to recover.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I've been lazy again, so I didn't wash my hair this weekend. On the upside, I think I found a new way to airdry and wear my hair under my wigs in other laziness -- medium braids with the last half inch twisted. I can't do small or large. I need about 3-4 on each side of my head. I'm still working on how many i need in the back.

My banded twists give me stretched hair and this gives me wavy hair. Right now, I'm experimenting with which products give me the best waves. Qhemet gave me amazing wave, but the front puffed quickly, probably because of the glycerin. Right now I'm trying Jane Carter curl cream on one side and curls curl cream on the other.

Also, I think I may switch back to my old comb. I'm still testing it out.

curlyTisME

Shame on me! My deep conditioning routine has been off for a whole week and my hair shows it. Dry and tangled. I did an oil pre poo and decided to DC on dry hair. Want to see how it goes. Then will cowash and style.

faithVA

Shame on me! My deep conditioning routine has been off for a whole week and my hair shows it. Dry and tangled. I did an oil pre poo and decided to DC on dry hair. Want to see how it goes. Then will cowash and style.

Fortunately it has only been a week. Your hair will pop right back into shape :yep:

Beany

So I'm tired of styling my hair and thought about putting some mini twists in...then I remembered how long it takes and how half way through I'm like

mz.rae

So I did the usual:
I prepooed Friday night with Amla oil

Saturday morning
I tried out the Ayverdic Shampoo bar by Chargin Valley so far so good.
And since I wore wash and gos all last week, I applied some Tresseme Naturals conditioner to detangle the hair before deep conditioning.
Deep conditioned for 45 minutes under a heat cap with Keracare Dry and Itchy Scalp Conditioner
Detangled under the shower some more while rinsing out
Dried hair with a t shirt
Applied Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Anti Humidity Hair Milk and Shine and Polish Anti Humidity Serum, sprayed heat protectant, and combed through
Blowed dried and then flat ironed with my Jilbere Titanium flat iron (second time using this and love it so far) touched the roots and edges with a hot comb
Rolled hair in Satin rollers for a curl
Will take down rollers today to see how it turned out.

Last edited:

alanaturelle

I had to eork yesterday and switched my wash day to today. I prepooed overnight with Tresemme conditioner, SM purification mask, olive oil and a few drops of peppermint and tea tree oil.

This morning, I rinsed it out, cowashed with Eden cowash, and deep conditioning under the steamer for 45 mins. I will rinee out, condition, let it air dry and bun tonight, :).

Sent from my GT-P3113 using LHCF

uofmpanther

I've been lazy again, so I didn't wash my hair this weekend. On the upside, I think I found a new way to airdry and wear my hair under my wigs in other laziness -- medium braids with the last half inch twisted. I can't do small or large. I need about 3-4 on each side of my head. I'm still working on how many i need in the back.

My banded twists give me stretched hair and this gives me wavy hair. Right now, I'm experimenting with which products give me the best waves. Qhemet gave me amazing wave, but the front puffed quickly, probably because of the glycerin. Right now I'm trying Jane Carter curl cream on one side and curls curl cream on the other.

Also, I think I may switch back to my old comb. I'm still testing it out.

Still loving my old comb. I wish I knew the brand. I've had it so long, the name rubbed off. I liked the results of the Jane Carter and the Curls cream equally, but the JC cream has better ingredients.

Willow00

I have my regimen figured out...for now. Since I'm sensitive to almost every freaking thing touching my scalp, I'm just "shampoo" my hair with a capful of ACV in a tub of very warm water (soak my hair for a long, long while), rinse my hair with any old tea I have laying around (green, white, black, whatever), and then "condition" my hair with my castor oil/grape seed oil mixture (about half and half). I then detangle and style my hair and call it a day. The whole routine is lazy and cheap. I'm tired now thinking about washing my hair in one to two weeks.

ETA: I dry my hair with an old t shirt and detangled my hair with a hairsense palm comb. I wash my hair really, really well in braids or twists. To detangle and style, I undo each twist/braid one at a time with my comb and fingers and then restyle my hair. I wear twists like 99% or the time. If I'm just feeling really lazy, the hair will be a twistout or twistout pulled into a bun.

Last edited:

OhmyKimB

So I believe this regime thing has worked out now. I have a good protein/moisture balance finally. Now I just need to adjust timing (protein treatments, clarifying, etc.) and get a good tie down on my products.

mz.rae

Well... I didn't get a chance to take any pictures. But I took down my hair from the satin rollers, and my hair looked alright. On one side the curls were tighter than the other side. Now if I had to compare between these and pincurling I would pick pincurling. Pincurling gives me the curls I like every time. Now maybe I didn't roll my hair tight enough or whatever it is, will try again some other time.

faithVA

I have my regimen figured out...for now. Since I'm sensitive to almost every freaking thing touching my scalp, I'm just "shampoo" my hair with a capful of ACV in a tub of very warm water (soak my hair for a long, long while), rinse my hair with any old tea I have laying around (green, white, black, whatever), and then "condition" my hair with my castor oil/grape seed oil mixture (about half and half). I then detangle and style my hair and call it a day. The whole routine is lazy and cheap. I'm tired now thinking about washing my hair in one to two weeks.

ETA: I dry my hair with an old t shirt and detangled my hair with a hairsense palm comb. I wash my hair really, really well in braids or twists. To detangle and style, I undo each twist/braid one at a time with my comb and fingers and then restyle my hair. I wear twists like 99% or the time. If I'm just feeling really lazy, the hair will be a twistout or twistout pulled into a bun.

It sounds delightful to me. Nothing wrong with inexpensive and simple.

snoop

Last week I wore my hair loose for the week. I think my ends ended up suffering because I wasn't braiding it at night and the ends were snagging on my clothes. :nono: So what am I doing today? A big puff on my head.

Yesterday when I washed I banded my hair, which I think went well. I hung out in the back yard to let it air dry. I didn't add any product to it first, which I think I will do next time. My hair still came out soft.

I'm hoping that tonight I can try doing a flat twist updo of some sort and maintain that for the remainder of the week. I think with care for my ends I can confidently claim APL within the next 2 months.

The thing that I'm finding a challenge is detangling the ends of my hair. It doesn't matter if I've just trimmed or not, the ends always wrap around themselves. Even while detangling. The rest of my hair will be a "breeze" to comb through but the ends will need an indefinite amount of work. I just chalk it up to the nature of my hair, but it's still frustrating.

Beany

So I put some mini twists in. Took about 8 hours over two days, which in hindsight really isn't that bad considering I hadn't properly detangled my hair since Feb (yes, please judge me). My hair felt SO much better after really detangling each section. The twists look nice, they're soft and shiny. I'll keep these for 3 weeks.

I have a semi formal event coming up in early June and need to find a style for my hair.

uofmpanther

I've noticed less hair in my shower now that I consciously use conditioners with protein. However, I desperately need a trim. I'm afraid to do my own, but I need to just suck it up and do it.

mz.rae

Heading into week two of only washing and flat ironing every two weeks. I have just been using grease with serum or just serum on my ends and rolling hair on Satin rollers. I have come to like those rollers and actually prefer them to pincurling. After looking at pictures from last year I see that I am retaining length. I really thought I was just stuck at the same length and wasn't retaining so I am happy about that. I will be washing my hair this Saturday and doing my routine all over again.

Beany

My twists have been in for about a week and I haven't M&S since I put them in, BUT I have been baggying nightly so my hair isn't very dry.
Today I plan to M&S with marshmallow tea (L), Ynobe marshmallow/hibiscus LI (C), WGHO (O) then put MHC Type 4 cream (B) on my ends. I'll baggy "overnight" (I work nights, so technically it's overday lol) then put them back in a bun when it's time to go to work.

Beany

Hey faithVA, I received my natural oasis today (4 oz deluxe) and everything looks great and I cant wait to start using them. I noticed on the styling oil and finisheen, protein is listed in the ingredients. I plan to email her to find out what type of protein because im low porosity and protein sensitive ( I can handle silk though)

faithVA

Hey faithVA, I received my natural oasis today (4 oz deluxe) and everything looks great and I cant wait to start using them. I noticed on the styling oil and finisheen, protein is listed in the ingredients. I plan to email her to find out what type of protein because im low porosity and protein sensitive ( I can handle silk though)

I hope you like it. I certainly do. I don't think the protein will bother you. I'm low point as well and I use it to seal every week. I'm not using all of the products now because I'm rolling through some other products. But it is a staple for me.

HanaKuroi

I need to place my NO order this week. I have issues when I try to order from my tablet.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

snoop

I've been slacking on my hair for the past few weeks. The guilt. Ugh! I really need to do something to it soon or I'm going to end up having to chop a bunch of knots off the ends. Trying to figure out if I should do two strand twists on my hair this weekend or brave it and try to do a two strand twist updo. The trick with doing the second is being able to stretch and then comb out my hair without too much breakage....actually, that's the only thing that prohibits me with trying more styles on my hair. :sad: