Nail Your Regimen Support Thread 2011

faithVA

I have been natural for a while but I am still in the process of getting a steady regimen. I know it takes some trial and error so I was hoping for some company during this process. I figure there may be others that are working on all or parts of their regimen.

Just wanted a spot to share what’s working, what we are trying, what’s not working and a place to support and encourage. Sometimes it just seems to take a long time and the extra encouragement helps.

Tell us About You
Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning:
Current Length:
Current Regimen:
Current Staples/Techniques:
What in your regimen are trying to nail:
History (optional) – any history of how you got to this point

Guidelines/Suggestions

Check-in when you
  • Have something new (product, technique) you want to try
    [*]Tried something new
    [*]Noticed a change (positive, not so positive)
    [*]Need some support/encouragement/advice
And Let us know
  • What you tried
  • What worked
  • What didn’t work
  • What’s next
There's no official joining, just come on in and share.

Regimen Nailers
:trophy: JaszG
:trophy:faithVA
:trophy:NikkiQ
:trophy:growinghealthyhair
:trophy:Napp
:trophy:Hikmah1986
:trophy:ceecy29
:trophy:Vashti :congrats: (June 2011)
:trophy:Imani
:trophy:alive
:trophy:AlliCat
:trophy:prettyfanceANB
:trophy:DayDreamist :cup: :congrats: (May 2011)
:trophy:Lita
:trophy:chrisanddonniesmommy
:trophy:FoxxyLocs :cup: :congrats: (May 2011)
:trophy:Hairlosophy
:trophy:MaxJones
:trophy:mamafree
:trophy:Poohbear
:trophy:cia_garces
:trophy:bernag06
:trophy:@blcbuty@
:trophy: rwayda
:trophy: Anonymous53
:trophy: Cocoeuro
:trophy: Amante
:trophy: 20Something
:trophy:CurlyLawGal :cup: :congrats: (Sept 2011)
:trophy:
:trophy:

Last edited:

faithVA

Ok - Here's where I am

Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: Natural
Current Length: Between NL and SL
Current Regimen:
Prepoo
Shampoo with diluted shampoo; no staple yet
Buffer with conditioner
DC with Kenra for 30+
Apply a leave in mix, twist and air dry
After dry use anything I can to moisturize it
Style: mini 2 strand twists for a week; twist out for a week
Use water/glycerin mix during the week or TW Mist Bodifier

Current Staples:
Prepoo (Added)
--Prepoo using Chicoro's prepoo methods 5/1/2011 - Nailed
Shampoo (Nailed)
---Still Looking
4/8/2011 - Elasta QP Soy Oyl Shampoo

Conditioners (Nailed)
---Taliaah Waajid - 4/8/2011

Deep Conditioners (Nailed)
---Kenra Conditioner
---Taliaah Waajid - 4/8/2011

Leave Ins/Moisturizers
---My mix (leave in, aloe vera, gycerine)
---TW Mist Bodifier
---Water/Glyercine
5/17/2011 - Chicoro's Leave in - 2x a day on dry hair

Oils
---Still working on it
Sunflower Oil on damp hair

Styling Products
---water glycerin, followed with KCCC
---Taliaah Waajid Lock it Up

In Question
---Any type of butters
---Shea Moisture Smoothie

Current Techniques:
Prepoo
---Only when taking out micro twists

Shampoo
---Buffering with conditioner before rinsing out shampoo
4/8/2011 - Nailed the shampoo; buffering not needed

Conditioning
---None at this time
5/1/2011 - Add 1 TBSP oil to conditioner and condition only when not DCing

Deep Conditioning
---Apply coconut oil to hair/or ends first then apply conditioner; I use less conditioner and my hair retains the oil after the conditioner is washed out

Styling
---Apply leave in mix, coconut oil
---Still trying; sit under heat cap for 30 minutes and then style

Wanting to Try
---Elasta QP Shampoo - 4/8/2011 - Elasta QP Soy Oyl is a hit
---Silk Elements Conditioner

History (optional) – any history of how you got to this point
When I had a twa I used any shampoo, conditioner and then applied Sta Sof Fro and never thought twice about my hair. I started growing my hair out in box braids and kinky twists and after a year, I couldn't figure out what my hair liked. :perplexed

I have read a lot of things and tried a lot of things but still not quite finding out what my hair likes. Starting with this base regimen and then going to modify items one by one to see if I can get a little further. It is taking me longer too because I only shampoo and style my hair every two weeks because it takes forever to style it at this length. And I am also on a mission to get rid of some of these products in my cabinet. :sad:

I just shampooed and styled my hair yesterday so I won't be doing much to it this week.

Hope I have some company because I sure can use it.

Last edited:

growinghealthyhair

Tell us About You

Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: I'm Natural

Current Length: Ummm...TWA?

Current Regimen:

I have found my hair LOVES moisture!! So this is what i'm doing so far. And if you look in my sig, you'll see i've made a big turn around in only a month!!

I wash as needed (usually 1x per week, sometimes 2, depending on the styling products I used that week)
I Deep Condition Weekly. (Twice when I'm wearing a weave but only on my leave-out)
I Do an Oil Rinse Weekly (Twice when I'm wearing a weave but only on my leave-out)
I co-wash maybe 2x per week (with oils added)
JBCO on my Edges and Nape Nightly and when I style my hair (every morning)

I also Henna Monthly
And Do protein Treatments Every 2 weeks with Silicon Mix
Growth Aids:
Nioxin Recharging Complex Vit

GNC Hair Skin and Nail Program (Includes Collagen and Evening Primrose Pills)

JBCO/Avocado Oil/Olive Oil/Coconut Oil/Sulfur Mix

Current Staples: JBCO/Olive Oil/Avocado Oil

ALL OF MY OILS!!

Current Techniques: Oil rinsing. Helps me alot!

History (optional) – I was really tired of DRY hair. So when I read up the benefits of Oils (In conditioners, HOT's, Oil Rinsing etc) I had to give it a shot. Oils didn't work for me at ALL while I was relaxed. But they're a Godsend now that i'm natural.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I really want to buy my staples only. i am currently trying to finish up the rest of my stash products.(4 bottles of conditioner and 3 bottles of shampoo) ive got most of my staples down except a shampoo and conditioner and a moisturizing deep conditioner. i like the ultrasheen line so far so i am going to try them next.

Natural
Current Length: APL
Current Regimen:(this is a new regimen i am trying out. hopefully i can stick to it)
on a weekly basis:
Wash
Protien treat(optional)
Deep condition overnight or with heat
rollerset
air dry or sit under the dryer
style

nightly

apply a little serum and re roll on satin rollers or pin curl

Current Staples:ultrasheen duo tex,ultra sheen super setting lotion,lacio lacio,apex pressing oil, smooth n shine straighten polish, palmers moisturizing oil.
Current Techniques:roller setting,direct heat with pressing comb only.
Soon to try products:ultrasheen detangling shampoo and conditioner,creme of nature argan oil intensive treatment.
No longer using after i finish up: Mane n tail conditioners. i really like these products for strengthening but i noticed that they are the cause of the dull hair i have been experiencing. i already get enough protien from my duo tex so i will definitely no longer use the original.(it gives me build up no matter what.) the deep moisturizing is on the fence. i really like it for slicking back my hair and for defining my curls and it doesnt leave me residue but it doesnt make my hair as shiny like i would like. if i cannot find a replacement i will come back to this. also it doesnt feel or smell as luxurious as other products i have used. i know its cheap but still....

Last edited:

Striving4perfection86

ok here we go i'm transitioning my last relaxer was september 2009

current length - I dunno, my hair touches my brastap but it's not full yet, i wont be claiming brastrap length for a couple of months.

Current Regime - I co wash every morning with tressemme or HE HH or LTR. I moistrize with africas best kids organics sheabutter detangling lotion and seal with grapeseed oil. In the winter i seal with dax geen old skool grease :lick:.

Then i bun for the day:grin:

I apply my sulphur mix at night.

staples - Africas best kids organincs shea butter detangling lotion, dax, grapeseed oil and HE HH for co washing.

Rarely i may flat iron or rollerset when i do i always dc before hand as it allows me to go a few days without moistrizin, when my hair is straight i use a heavy cream and moistrize the ends and seal with grapeseed oil.

I use aphogee 2 min once a month

I don't do any Hardcore protein

I don't clarify

some weeks i shampoo twice a week b4 co washing, someweeks i shampoo once.

I don't do regular dc

Hair past My mum always used to say to me " it's amazing you've still got any hair left on ur head with the amount of crap you've done to it:blah::blah::blah:

It's so true, i've bleached it, relaxed root to tip:blush:, sometimes in the same week:lachen: but my hairs always held up well and remained thick and btw sl and apl.

I did a mini chop when i found the hair boards in jan 2010, i cut from apl 2 nl

I use my splitender everytime i straighten which isn't often maybe once every few months.

faithVA

Welcome growinghealthyhair,

I can definitely see the change in your siggy. I haven't quite gotten the oils to work for me but I know that there are a lot of good reviews in the oil rinse challenge.

It sounds like you are making good progress. What parts of your regimen are you trying to nail down?

faithVA

Welcome Napp,

You are really close to nailing your regimen. I am looking forward to hearing how the Ultrasheen shampoo/conditioner works out. Haven't read a lot about either of those.

Thanks for sharing about the Mane and Tail. I have some samples that I want to try out but I may put that off until I nail a few other things in my regi. My hair looks dull today but I don't know which part of my regi is causing it. What you said will be helpful in trying to narrow that down.

faithVA

Thanks for coming in Hikmah1986,

Sounds like regi or no regi you are having very good results. You went from NL to past APL in about a year?

Then i bun for the day:grin:
I plan to grin too when I can bun. I will probably give cowashing a try when I can bun.

At what length did you start bunning?

Striving4perfection86

as soon as my hair started to hit my shoulders i started bunning, i really have done well but i doubt i'll be content till i reach waist length, also when i co wash and bun consistently the results are quick to show.

faithVA

Any of you ladies, trying any new things or making any adjustments to your regimen this weekend?

I do plan on trying some new things based on what I tried last weekend. Will try a new shampoo. Did not like the previous one at all even with Chicoro's recipe. I'm also going to try something I saw on YT - apply leave in, apply coconut oil and a butter, sit under the heat cap for 30 minutes then apply KCCC and twist.

I will check back in after I try that.

NikkiQ

Finally 100% Natural!!!

Current Length: NL

Current Regimen: Cowash daily/ Poo and DC 1x week/ Clarify when needed/M&S Daily/PS Daily

Current Staples/Techniques: The only staples I have at the moment are my SE Mega Moisture Treatment for my DCs, Hot 6 Oil to mix with DC and to seal, and Mixed Silk leave in. I'm totally diggin it. Curls are on and popping after I apply...and leaves my hair very moisturized.

What in your regimen are trying to nail: other PS options besides wiggin it. Also...getting my staples down pat is gonna take some patience, trial and error, and keeping a journal.

History (optional)So up until I started transitioning, I got relaxers for about 20 years thanks to my mom and her logic behing how our hair should look. Every 4 weeks was the norm when my mom was doing them for me, but when I started it was never before 6 weeks. In high school, I was APL to BSL majority of the time. Once I hit college, it was all over. I discovered box dye and didn't give a crap about length so I chopped it all off multiple times. For the longest, I was stuck at NL/SL and didn't know why. On a whim, I got a sew in for a vacation in Miami about 2 years ago and noticed my hair really did take well to being hidden and the rest is history :)

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i got rid of two conditioner bottles!just a little bit more to go! i have decided that i am never going to let gel touch my hair unless it is an emergency. i tried to do a twist out with gel like i saw another fotkin do and my hair was awful! i had to add more gel to do a quick slick back because i had to go to work. by the end of the day my hair was so stiff my scalp was in distress! i had to shampoo,deep condition and start over again. i am sticking to my rollersets!

aslo instead of trying a new line for a deep conditioner i am going back to my favorite Deep conditioner miss keys 10 en 1. i stopped using it when i did my first bc and i never really dced after that.

Last edited:

Vashti

Great thread!

Tell us About You
Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: Natural
Current Length: SL
Current Regimen: Wash and DC on Sunday, put hair in twists or pin up style, moisturize every day with oils and homemade spray and wrap at night, re-twist or redo hair style on Wednesday night, oil hair and baggy Friday night, co-wash in the shower Saturday morning, moisturize with leave-in and wear my hair out.
Current Staples/Techniques: See siggy!
What in your regimen are trying to nail: Just nailed the deep conditioner. Now looking for an anti-frizz leave-in since HE apparently got rid of the one I like using. :(
History (optional) – any history of how you got to this point - I'd say it took me about a year and a few months and I'm still looking to replace one more product. I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible and make sure costs don't spiral out of control. When I first started my journey a year ago I had no idea how many great products for black hair were actually out there. It's tempting to buy all kinds of stuff and fun too. Gets expensive though. So I decided to go back to some of the old school products my mom used that I knew were effective and mix in some more natural hair products as well. I focus on old school stuff and natural stuff. Helps me simplify my choices. My hair isn't too picky as long as I keep it moisturized. I found that a lot of things work for my hair as long as I protect the ends.

And Let us know
What you tried:
aloe vera gel, MTG, HE HH, ORS Olive Oil Lotion, Renpure conditioner, AO WC, Queen Helene Cholesterol Conditioner
What worked: MTG, HE HH, ORS Olive Oil Lotion, Renpure conditioner, AO WC, Queen Helene Cholesterol Conditioner
What didn’t work: aloe vera gel. Made my hair way too hard. even when i mixed it with other stuff. The MTG worked but I don't feel the need to ever buy that again. Don't need it. ORS was a staple for years and I like it but Shea Moisture leave-in works just as well without all the greasiness.
What’s next: learning how to do more styles and becoming better at styling my hair in general. More 50's pin up styles. :)

Imani

I think I've kinda nailed my regimen right now. Won't post the whole detailed reggie bc its just too long! lol. The only thing I need to nail now is a salon quality flat iron. Right now only flat ironing a few times a year but once I reach my goal may do it once a month or so.

I'm natural 4b/a and some of the things that have worked for me are...
-only use Sulfate free shampoos unless I'm wearing straight
-slathering wet hair with olive oil to detangle. using my fingers to do initial detangling before following up with denman brushes(i have two different sizes, a wider teeth one and the classic d3)
-don't use products w/mineral oil or petrolatum. and I don't use cones unless I'm straightening.
-only wash every 2 weeks, my hair doesn't do well with constant washing
-Keeping a spray bottle of water around
-Bee Mine luscious as my staple moisturizer
-shampooing my hair in front of the mirror in sections
-Dcing under the steamer. keeping my hair plaited/sectioned off under the steamer or else it will just retangle

faithVA

Welcome NikkiQ,

Current Staples/Techniques: The only staples I have at the moment are my SE Mega Moisture Treatment for my DCs, Hot 6 Oil to mix with DC and to seal, and Mixed Silk leave in. I'm totally diggin it. Curls are on and popping after I apply...and leaves my hair very moisturized.

When I was looking for a DC I considered the SE Mega Moisture treatment. It was between that and the Kenra. I went with the Kenra which I like so far. But when it runs out I will give the SE Mega Moisture a try so I can have a comparison. These two seem to be at the top of the list for many.

What in your regimen are trying to nail: getting my staples down pat is gonna take some patience, trial and error,.

I was hoping having a support group might help out.

Looking forward to making the journey with you.

faithVA

i am going back to my favorite Deep conditioner miss keys 10 en 1. i stopped using it when i did my first bc and i never really dced after that.

Let us know how it works out now after not having used it for a while.

faithVA

Thanks Vashti and Welcome,

moisturize every day with oils and homemade spray
Would you share what is in your homemade spray?

Helps me simplify my choices. My hair isn't too picky as long as I keep it moisturized. I found that a lot of things work for my hair as long as I protect the ends.

I'm jealous. My hair is as picky as I am :nono: So far, it doesn't seem to like much. And it laughs at most things. We shall see.

You don't have far to go to nail your regimen.

faithVA

Welcome Imani,

Your hair is looking good girl. Well from your post you have already nailed your regimen. Just sounds like you need a final tool to work with.

With your regimen solid, it should be easy flowing to your goals, SL and then APL.

Looking forward to reaching SL right behind you.

alive

I'm going to use this thread as my last hope of getting a regimen together :lol: I have this tendency to just do whatever feels right for my hair at any given point in time. I'd like to have some semblance of a process in place so here goes:

I'm natural
Full SL (APL in the back)
No regimen
Staples: bio infusion olive oil moisturizer, HE LTR. Let's Jam Curl Activator

This ought to be fun. hopefully, I'll pick up bits and pieces of other people's regimens and make it my own

ETA: my goal is really simple. I want a short and sweet routine that keeps my hair moisturized (why does that sound so much like an objective statement from a resume? haha)

AlliCat

Tell us About You

Relaxed every 12 weeks

Current Length: Brastrap length :)

Current Regimen: Co-wash on the weekend, shampoo and DC on Wednesdays. Protein treatment and clarify monthly or as needed. Stretch relaxers every 12 weeks.

Current Staples:
Clarifying: Herbal Essences Color Me Happy Shampoo
Shampoo: One n Only Argan Oil Moisture Repair Shampoo (sulfate free)
DC: One n Only Argan Oil Restorative Mask
Protein: Joico K-Pak Reconstructor
Co-wash: One n Only Argan Oil Moisture Repair Conditioner (cone free)
Moisturizer: Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave-in
Sealant: One n Only Argan Oil
Relaxer: Optimum Salon Collection

Staple Techniques:
- Only comb (wide tooth) when under the shower
- Braidouts, buns, halfwigs
- Satin scarf to air dry and protect hair while sleeping

What in your regimen are trying to nail: I'm just trying to be able to stick to the solid regimen stated above...it's easy for me to write it down, but easier said than done. I also want to perfect the braid out :yep::yep:

History (optional) – any history of how you got to this point: my hair was damaged neck length from flat ironing daily (back in 2007)....now its BSL and healthy. The most important things for me were: limiting heat use, deep conditioning, and low manipulation. I also think my hair thrives with low-sulfate as well

CHECK IN

I recently got some One n Only Argan Oil samples from sally's...i really like all the products in this line so I'll be incorporating them in my reggie. I know it takes longer to figure out if u like a product, but I can already tell these are staple-worthy

I tried Lustrasilk mango and shea butter chonesterol with high hopes because I see a lot of others like this. Also my hair loves shea so....but it left my hair so dry. and weird feeling. Didn't like it at ALL. maybe I'll give it a couple more tries. if It doesn't work for me as dc then I'll use it as a pre-poo...

WHATS NEXT
Well I just want to keep my hair in braids more often...for example if I'm just lounging around at home I could moisturize, seal then braid...when I'm ready to go to school I can just take down the braids (NO COMBING...until wash day) and rock a braid out or a textured bun like in my avi. Then on my 2 wash days of the week, that's when i can detangle and remove shed hairs...under the shower only though. and my hair will hopefully retain more length from sticking to this...only 2 inches until MBL :eek:

Last edited:

Vashti

Thanks Vashti and Welcome,

Would you share what is in your homemade spray?

I'm jealous. My hair is as picky as I am :nono: So far, it doesn't seem to like much. And it laughs at most things. We shall see.

You don't have far to go to nail your regimen.

Thanks! I put a tablespoon of castor oil and a tablespoon of Suave Naturals Coconut conditioner in a spray bottle (8 ounce bottle) and fill the rest of it up with water. You can use what ever oils or conditioner you want. Just shake it up and you've got your own spray.

BeautifulFlower

Its interesting because I think in my 3.5 years of hair care, I switched up my regimen soooooo many times. I still do to some degree or another. But I think I got a simple one I do on a regular out of habit.

Once a week
-Shampoo
-Condition
-Detangle
-Bun or Braidout
-Moisturize and oil daily
-Protein treatment once a month
-DC overnight with heat twice a month (maybe)

Pretty simple...products can vary every few months.

faithVA

Hey alive,

ETA: my goal is really simple. I want a short and sweet routine that keeps my hair moisturized (why does that sound so much like an objective statement from a resume? haha)

I like your goal. It sounds soooo simple :yep: Let's go for it.

faithVA

Hey AlliCat

my hair was damaged neck length from flat ironing daily (back in 2007)....now its BSL and healthy. ]

That's encouraging going from NL to BSL. And soo close to MBL. I will try to check on you and help you stay on your regi. Just think July and MBL are so close and right around the corner.

faithVA

I did work a little more on my regi this weekend. My hair right now is telling me more about what it doesn't like than what it does.

Tried ORS Aloe Shampoo. It was better than the Organic shampoo from last week but I don't think it was quite it. Still have some samples of other stuff going to try before I go buy anything. (next)

I buffered with Suave Coconut conditioner; my hair likes buffering. (keeper for now).
DCd with Kendra (keeper)
Applied leave in mix. Added glycrin to my leave in mix. I don't think
it works. Going to try something different. (next).
Applied coconut oil and avocado butter. (keep coconut oil, skip butter)
Styled in two strand twists.

Put way too much coconut oil and butter on my hair. Around 11 pm while hanging out I could feel the oil just running down my scalp. ugh

My hair doesn't like butters and it doesn't like most oils. It also doesn't like leaving conditioner in it. Butters and conditioner leave a film on my hair that makes it look dirty even though I just washed it.

So going to label this attempt 2. No wins but learned what I can cut out.

Styling my hair is a bear so I a debating on shampooing weekly to get my regi down or every 2 weeks to give myself a styling break? Any thoughts?

CurlsBazillion

Wow I really need this for not only support but to help me remember my own regimen lol.
Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning:
Natural
Current Length
: SL
Current Regimen: Pre poo with Grapeseed oil or olive oil, sweet almond, or whatever oil is on hand (obviously needs work on that area) Co wash 2x a week
WEEKLY 1.shampoo w/ conditioner mixed 50/50 (gonna add an oil rinse between here) 2. egg, conditioner, and wheat germ oil mix for 10-15min 3. DC for 15-25min? 4. apply knot today leave in then Moisturize with HE LTR then seal with my butter mix (shea, avocado, mango butters and grapeseed and mucho wheat germ oil). 5.braid it up and hide it under a half wig or silk scarf. Every now and again I do a twist out.
Current Staples/Techniques: My staples are my butter mix, 2 CO washes a week with HE Hello Hydration, honey, and wheat germ oil mixture. HE LTR and sealing ends with wheat germ oil daily. TEchnique needs work...I don't detangle until right before I seal if thats a technique.
What in your regimen are trying to nail: everything but the moisturize & seal step, I feel like I got that down.

How can I improve my regimen? A question I ask myself whenever I do my hair.