2017 Share, Discuss, Design, And/or Improve Your Hair Care Regimen

long.hair.dont.care

Hi @YvetteWithJoy, great thread!

1. Tell us about your hair!
(Natural/texlaxed/relaxed? Healthy/damage? Fine or course strands? Densely dispersed strands? Length? Curl pattern? Color/colored/hennaed? Etc.)

Natural, low to medium porosity, fine to medium sized strands, in contrast, i've got quite a bit of density. My curl pattern is fluffy, coily and can attain a mix of pen spring and s-curl definition with the right products and prep. It acts healthy as far as I'm concerned, and my longest layer is currently hovering over MLB.

2. What do you feel your hair's needs are?

I feel I definitely need to trim or dust more than once a year.

Water, oil and a protective style daily.

I gotta keep it stretched.

Internally: nutrients, H20, no stress.

3. Tell us about your current regimen. (Products, steps/actions/activities, etc.) What's working in your current regimen?

Regimen in protective style:

-wash day: I simply shampoo and deep condition with a shower cap. Quick and easy. I use to wash weekly, but I dont have time, it's more like twice a month now.

-daily: When its not wash day I spray my parts with a water, EOs & acv mix and use kitchen olive oil spray on top or dap whatever oil is around. And then its time for a scalp massage.

Regimen out of protective style (this is usually once I take down my protective style, I dont wear my hair out much):

-Pre-poo/detangle with a homemade mix of water, ACV, and coconut oil, sometimes I add conditioner. However, I am in need of more slip, so I'm exploring new concoctions. Ive bought marsh mellow root that I would love to add/try. And I bought Soultanicals Detangler for if i'm too busy for DIY detangler.

-Shampoo, of course, in sections... I dont have a staple, but I'm looking into purchasing one that has detangling properties. In the mean time, I am using OGX's Shea Soft & Smooth Shampoo.

-Light protein with Mill Creeks Biotin Conditioner.

-Deep condition with Soultanicals Deep Conditioner and Tresemme. With Soultanicals, I start by coating the ends, then the rest of my head and I put Tresemme on top cause I'm trying to stretch the deep conditioner. I just finished school and I'm still living like im on a student budget. Sometimes I put oil. I then cover with a shower cap.

-Air dry in banded sections bare or with grapeseed oil.

-Braid my hair for the next protective style

4. What are your regimen-improvement goals, if any?

(Fewer steps? Your improved consistency? Better styling? More protective styling? Less manipulation? Improved detangling? Improved setting/twisting/braiding? Better/different products? Greater thickness? Greater length? Less damage? Less time? Lower cost? Etc.)

1) Manageability and retention!

I basically need to figure out a new regimen as my hair reaches lengths that i've never dealt with before. I know that my long-term protective styling (2-3 months) is the cause of long detangling sessions, but its been the only way for me to retain so far. Now that my hair is longer (hovering MLB) I need to figure out how to manage my hair/style and time without sacrificing retention. I'm lurking the straight hair naturals support thread because I'm thinking about trying a BKT or a silk press, but my hair is fine so i dont know... I did wigs for a year but I didnt retain much, it may have been because of stress from school. I'm open to trying again, but knowing me I'll probably leave the cornrows in too long and have super long detangling sessions, which will bring me back to square 1. I have a bottle of soultanicals knot sauce detangler that I need to try though. If it cuts down on my detangling sessions I'll be able to keep doing what I'm doing.

2) Relatively even/thick ends

I'm trying to grow my hair to TLB. My hair grows in layers and in a V shape, so once I get to TLB I'll most likely have to pay attention to my ends with the goal of evening them up for a year or so. I have tried cutting less up top and more off my bottom layers, but that didnt seem to help. I like the idea still and wouldnt mind revisiting it. This goal is also why I'm still weighing out the pros and cons of a BKT or a silk press. I know my hair, if I use heat I'll need to trim more often...

5. Anything else you would like to share? (Tips? Questions? Links?)

Cheers to discoveries and improvements!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hi @YvetteWithJoy, great thread!

1. Tell us about your hair!
(Natural/texlaxed/relaxed? Healthy/damage? Fine or course strands? Densely dispersed strands? Length? Curl pattern? Color/colored/hennaed? Etc.)

Natural, low to medium porosity, fine to medium sized strands, in contrast, i've got quite a bit of density. My curl pattern is fluffy, coily and can attain a mix of pen spring and s-curl definition with the right products and prep. It acts healthy as far as I'm concerned, and my longest layer is currently hovering over MLB.

2. What do you feel your hair's needs are?

I feel I definitely need to trim or dust more than once a year.

Water, oil and a protective style daily.

I gotta keep it stretched.

Internally: nutrients, H20, no stress.

3. Tell us about your current regimen. (Products, steps/actions/activities, etc.) What's working in your current regimen?

Regimen in protective style:

-wash day: I simply shampoo and deep condition with a shower cap. Quick and easy. I use to wash weekly, but I dont have time, it's more like twice a month now.

-daily: When its not wash day I spray my parts with a water, EOs & acv mix and use kitchen olive oil spray on top or dap whatever oil is around. And then its time for a scalp massage.

Regimen out of protective style (this is usually once I take down my protective style, I dont wear my hair out much):

-Pre-poo/detangle with a homemade mix of water, ACV, and coconut oil, sometimes I add conditioner. However, I am in need of more slip, so I'm exploring new concoctions. Ive bought marsh mellow root that I would love to add/try. And I bought Soultanicals Detangler for if i'm too busy for DIY detangler.

-Shampoo, of course, in sections... I dont have a staple, but I'm looking into purchasing one that has detangling properties. In the mean time, I am using OGX's Shea Soft & Smooth Shampoo.

-Light protein with Mill Creeks Biotin Conditioner.

-Deep condition with Soultanicals Deep Conditioner and Tresemme. With Soultanicals, I start by coating the ends, then the rest of my head and I put Tresemme on top cause I'm trying to stretch the deep conditioner. I just finished school and I'm still living like im on a student budget. Sometimes I put oil. I then cover with a shower cap.

-Air dry in banded sections bare or with grapeseed oil.

-Braid my hair for the next protective style

4. What are your regimen-improvement goals, if any?

(Fewer steps? Your improved consistency? Better styling? More protective styling? Less manipulation? Improved detangling? Improved setting/twisting/braiding? Better/different products? Greater thickness? Greater length? Less damage? Less time? Lower cost? Etc.)

1) Manageability and retention!

I basically need to figure out a new regimen as my hair reaches lengths that i've never dealt with before. I know that my long-term protective styling (2-3 months) is the cause of long detangling sessions, but its been the only way for me to retain so far. Now that my hair is longer (hovering MLB) I need to figure out how to manage my hair/style and time without sacrificing retention. I'm lurking the straight hair naturals support thread because I'm thinking about trying a BKT or a silk press, but my hair is fine so i dont know... I did wigs for a year but I didnt retain much, it may have been because of stress from school. I'm open to trying again, but knowing me I'll probably leave the cornrows in too long and have super long detangling sessions, which will bring me back to square 1. I have a bottle of soultanicals knot sauce detangler that I need to try though. If it cuts down on my detangling sessions I'll be able to keep doing what I'm doing.

2) Relatively even/thick ends

I'm trying to grow my hair to TLB. My hair grows in layers and in a V shape, so once I get to TLB I'll most likely have to pay attention to my ends with the goal of evening them up for a year or so. I have tried cutting less up top and more off my bottom layers, but that didnt seem to help. I like the idea still and wouldnt mind revisiting it. This goal is also why I'm still weighing out the pros and cons of a BKT or a silk press. I know my hair, if I use heat I'll need to trim more often...

5. Anything else you would like to share? (Tips? Questions? Links?)

Cheers to discoveries and improvements!

You are so informed about your hair and regimen. Neat! Sending vibes regarding detangling! I'm currently trialing DIY detangling prepoo recipes myself. :smile: If I discover something amazing, I'll try to remember to share!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Note to self regarding this week's midweek "wet, wash, and/or restyle" day

My scalp feels ah-mazing!

What I did
  1. prepooed overnight with Chicoro's moisture-drenched prepoo recipe (used CurlyProverbz oil as the oil) . . . in 6 chunky twists
  2. in the morning:
    1. exfoliated scalp with Cantu ACV Root Rinse and let sit until tingly
    2. washed scalp and hair. NOTE: I washed one previously stretched, LOOSE half at a time, for speed. I used Soultanicals Soulvedic Strands Poo Bar (it's chock full of ayurvedic ingredients; a THIRD of the bar is the perfect size for holding/cleansing).
    3. chunky twisted and wore wavy wig (with hair pulled back some to rid any bulky look)
  3. Later: DC'd and retwisted with Soultanicals Afrotastic Curl Elastic (I made sure to put some on my scalp so it could benefit from the ayurvedic ingredients; I've never put DC on my scalp before)
I plan to apply a strengthening liquid leave-in, try Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee for the first time, and install 8-20 sleek twists and "bartette" them around my head for elongation. I will of course apply Jakeala Shiloh (ayurvedic) balm to my ends while twisting, for smoothing and protection.

Last edited:

futureapl

Note to self regarding this week's midweek "wet, wash, and/or restyle" day

My scalp feels ah-mazing!

What I did
  1. prepooed overnight with Chicoro's moisture-drenched prepoo recipe (used CurlyProverbz oil as the oil) . . . in 6 chunky twists
  2. in the morning:
    1. exfoliated scalp with Cantu ACV Root Rinse and let sit until tingly
    2. washed scalp and hair. NOTE: I washed one previously stretched, LOOSE half at a time, for speed. I used Soultanicals Soulvedic Strands Poo Bar (it's chock full of ayurvedic ingredients; a THIRD of the bar is the perfect size for holding/cleansing).
    3. chunky twisted and wore wavy wig (with hair pulled back some to rid any bulky look)
  3. Later: DC'd and retwisted with Soultanicals Afrotastic Curl Elastic (I made sure to put some on my scalp so it could benefit from the ayurvedic ingredients; I've never put DC on my scalp before)
I plan to apply a strengthening liquid leave-in, try Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee for the first time, and install 8-20 sleek twists and "bartette" them around my head for elongation. I will of course apply Jakeala Shiloh (ayurvedic) balm to my ends while twisting, for smoothing and protection.[/QUOT

What is Chicoro's recipe and Curlyproverbz oil?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
It's November. Wow!

That means I have about a month to continue trialing a few things before I need to hone in on the regimen I will be doing/assessing for Quarter 1 of 2018!

My thoughts:
  1. Scalp care:
    1. Gently exfoliating my scalp with ACV Root Rinse is a winner.
    2. Also a winner: Going in on my scalp AFTER scalp exfoliation with Soultanicals Soulvedic Poo Bar and letting it sit on my scalp while I do my showerly duties so that all those ayurvedic goodies can sit for awhile! This soap cleanses without being too harsh, conditions, and nurtures with many, many ayurvedic ingredient and other goodies. HOWEVER: BECAUSE IT IS NOT RELIABLY AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE, I will trial Henna Sooq's Cocoveda bar this quarter. :up: :yep:
  2. Ends care:
    1. It is more challenging than I thought to prevent SSKs, additional knotting caused by SSKs, thinning of ends, and slight breakage.
    2. I am trying to "wig" more and brush and handle less.
    3. CurlyProverbz Hair Tea has an amazing, instantly strengthening affect on my hair. Perhaps consistent use of it, especially concentrating on my ends, will help maintain the health/strength/thickness of my ends.
    4. I will continue to assess the effect of using an ayurvedic "grease" (in the form of Jakeala's Shiloh Hair Balm) on my ends.
    5. Trimming: Sigh. I've been searching and destroying. I think I want to do a Chicoro and refrain from trimming in the name of growing past a length goal and then trimming/cutting after that. I'm thinking about setting my next trim date to be around March 31, 2018 so that I can start off Quarter 2 of 2018 with fresh ends. I hope I don't have to "lose" too much at that time! :pray:
  3. Protection:
    1. Chunky twisting with DC under a plastic cap under a wig is working!
    2. On non-DC days, wearing a wig instead of wearing my hair down is working!
    3. Wearing twist outs instead of high or ponytail puffs is working!
  4. Products:
    1. To trial ASAP:
      1. Soultanicals Carrot Shampoo Vitamin Hair Dew

I anticipate being in LOVE with this shampoo. The carrot seed oil, the biotin, the MSM, the silica, the horse extract, the vitamin C, the pro-vitamin B5, the vitamin E . . .

2. from Henna Sooq:
        1. sedr powder (the reviews! man!) using fenugreek-infused WATER as the base (note: never ever use a fenugreek smoothie on the hair again as the grain residue is very difficult to remove),
        2. cocoveda poo bar,
        3. soapnut shampoo bar (to use when needing a deep cleanse???),
        4. and the cassia-containing hair nourisher (again, the reviews!)
      3. The Mane Choice Egyptian 24K twisting gel???
    2. To continue using for sure Quarter 1 of 2018:
      1. Cantu ACV Root Rinse
      2. CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Tea (augmented with aloe Vera powder)
      3. Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion (or Conditioner, if it has the same slip)
      4. Green Beauty Real Protein
      5. Jakeala Shiloh Hair Balm on edges (and perhaps on the whole length, though it turns out that is a greasy enterprise!)
      6. CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Growth Oil
      7. Asha and Miel Ultra Edge Growth Oil (the onion and garlic and olive oil has my edges smelling like an Olive Garden bread stick FOR REAL)
      8. SM Manuka Honey masque unless I find something even better (e.g. with better/incredible slip but with the same or better silkening and moisturizing effects)
      9. ??? Biosilk Hard Gelee if SM's gel in the green bottle (cheaper, more healthful ingredients) does not stand up to it

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I just read the Henna Sooq PDF about henna.

Wow. The writer says that with consistent henna treatments, she does not get split ends and she only trims 1-2 times a year. (I'm not sure of her other hair handling practices, which may also be contributing to her lack of split ends).

Time to determine WHEN/HOW to consistently fit henna into my regimen.

NOTE: I realize from reading the guideline PDF that they way I have mixed henna with coconut milk/cream has probably reduced the henna's effect on my hair. I'm going to use her method going forward! :up:

faithVA

I just read the Henna Sooq PDF about henna.

Wow. The writer says that with consistent henna treatments, she does not get split ends and she only trims 1-2 times a year. (I'm not sure of her other hair handling practices, which may also be contributing to her lack of split ends).

Time to determine WHEN/HOW to consistently fit henna into my regimen.

NOTE: I realize from reading the guideline PDF that they way I have mixed henna with coconut milk/cream has probably reduced the henna's effect on my hair. I'm going to use her method going forward! :up:

How does she prepare her henna?

faithVA

I still don't have a steady regimen but I'm getting a bit closer.

I'm working on henna/indigo regimen which I will do once a month to keep the grays away. I'm still working on the amount of time I need to leave each in. So far my regimen is
1. water rinse and detangle
2. Shampoo to remove build up. I may replace this with a mudwash
3. Apply henna - simple recipe with some type of tea
4. Rinse henna and apply indigo (3 heap tbsp mixed with 1/2 tsp salt)
5. Rinse and saturate hair with diluted leave-in
6. Air dry in twists
7. After dry - LCB with (Mane Choice Spray, Twist Butter for now, My Honey Child Type 4 Hair Creme)

I'm still not consistent with my weekly regimen. I want to shampoo, cowash, rinse every 3 to 4 days but due to style I avoid doing this. I'm going to try the following for the next few weeks
1. Shampoo or Cowash depending on the last time I used shampoo.
2. Use a rinse out conditioner
3. Apply leave-in and let dry until damp
4. Do LCB (Mane Choice Spray, Twist Butter, My Honey Child/Gel) or (Mane Choice Spray and My Honey Child/Gel)

YvetteWithJoy

On break
How does she prepare her henna?

I had mixed mine with coconut milk, let it release, then applied it.

It looks like she uses water and a little lemon juice and a few drops of oil in the mix she prefers (her PDF is free on her site and contains details). But when using coconut milk, she recommends letting the henna sit and release in a little water before adding it to the coconut milk.

faithVA

I had mixed mine with coconut milk, let it release, then applied it.

It looks like she uses water and a little lemon juice and a few drops of oil in the mix she prefers (her PDF is free on her site and contains details). But when using coconut milk, she recommends letting the henna sit and release in a little water before adding it to the coconut milk.

OK. Thanks

YvetteWithJoy

On break
So that I don't forget:

ONE
I like the Henna Sooq Coveda Shampoo Bar. I let it sit on my hair while I showered. My hair felt coated and strong. I'm hoping it's henna depositing into my strands. :yep:

It was hard for me to apply and rinse the Henna Sooq Hair Nourisher. It has the consistency of taffy. Working so hard to rinse it out seemed to cancel the wonderful effects of the honey and cassia.

The SHEA MOISTURE ANTI-BREAKAGE GEL is pretty doggone good! It has a very hard hold. My CurlyProverbz Tea did get "gelled up" in it, so I need to be light-handed with the tea if I use that gel. DH didn't really like the smell. Surprisingly, I could hang with it.​

TWO
At the moment it's working (great coil definition!!!) to skip the frequent chelating and also do the following:
prepoo, wash, DC . . . then nourish and protect and moisturize and seal

Details:

Evening/night
  1. section hair with barrettes and exfoliate scalp with Cantu ACV Root Rinse,
  2. prepoo for an hour with Chicoro's prepoo recipe (warming the coconut oil, so then it's also a H.O.T.) and unfurl and de-web hair
  3. wash hair in barrettes (remove a barrette, wash hair, replace the barrette), further detangling under the water with the slippery prepoo with fingers, and loosely twist up hair with barrettes still in
Next day
  1. deep condition on dried hair with the barrettes still in (at times, add Green Beauty Real Protein to the DC, according to her hipo schedule for protein treatments),
  2. after DCing, add water to DC on hair and use it to fully detangle the hair before rinsing to remove shed hair (remove a barrette, rinse hair, replace the barrette),
  3. apply and work in ayurvedic hair tea (barrettes still in),
  4. apply ayurvedic grease to ends (~ last 2 inches; barrettes still in),
  5. apply (a) moisturizer and gel or (b) ayurvedic whipped butter on length (removing each barrette as I proceed).
  6. chunky twist, air dry, style

long.hair.dont.care

Updates relating to my hair needs:

1. Ends: I want to trim before the new year even though my hair was hidden and got about 5 days of sunshine out of the year so far. I'll check out my hair later to see if I need to. I've only dusted this summer.
  2. Slippery pre-poo: Yayyyy, I finally found a prepoo with more slip (Chicoro's recipe). I'm really happy about this because it means I can keep doing crochet styles, which have helped me retain length. I'm also interested in finding a shampoo that has slip as well, but I'm not in a hurry for that.

Other observations: It took me 3 months to grow an inch most recently. I kept in the same cornrows, but changed the crochet style twice for that period of time. I did do scalp massages maybe 3 times a week. I'm interested in seeing my hair grow an inch in 2 months. I want to trial curly proverbz growth oil. It's been infusing for the past 72 hours. And because I like mixing for the love of my hair, I also made the henna gloss bar and infused shea butter. I will use the rest of the year to see if the growth oil can help me produce half an inch in 4 weeks.

ETA: If CP growth oil + daily scalp massages doesn't give me the results I want I will probably use Virgo Hair Fertilizer for the rest of winter, which has worked for me before - there's just 1 ingredient (petroleum jelly) I'm not fond of for my scalp that's why I stopped using it. Come spring, I hope to be a bit more ingredient-wise for exfoliating my scalp, to then try CP's growth oil recipe again.

Last edited:

faithVA

I'm still playing around with the LOC and I think I have enough of the products I need to give it a good run for a month.

First I want to increase my shampoo/cowash days to every 4 to 5 days versus every 7. I think both my hair and my scalp would appreciate it. I have purchased many items from the Mane Choice Egyptian. This is a gentle line which should allow my hair to have a reprieve from any harsh products. I will still need to use a sulfate shampoo when I apply my henna and indigo to have a clean slate.

I'm going to do LOC with the Mane Choice revitalize spritz, TGIN Daily Moisturizer and Carol's Daughter Honey Mimosa. I tried this combination last night and it seemed to work well. I noticed that I need to work each product through my hair better. I'm not able to coat my strands very well due to the shrinkage. After applying the moisturizer I may need to add a little water to help smooth it through.

I'm going to start this week but will start officially after my length check and trim in December.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I ran out of my Shea Moisture Manuka Honey masque quickly this time. And I just didn't want to drop another $12 on another jar. I ended up dropping $3 (or was it $4?) on Aussie Moist, a DC full of silicone.

I never use silicone. This was a major, major departure. I hope it doesn't block my ayurvedic ingredients.

I'm thinking about trying Silicon Mix next. Lol. This latest hair setback has me giving no cares at the moment.

I'll regroup soon, hopefully.

Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
I ran out of my Shea Moisture Manuka Honey masque quickly this time. And I just didn't want to drop another $12 on another jar. I ended up dropping $3 (or was it $4?) on Aussie Moist, a DC full of silicone.

I never use silicone. This was a major, major departure. I hope it doesn't block my ayurvedic ingredients.

I'm thinking about trying Silicon Mix next. Lol. This latest hair setback has me giving no cares at the moment.

I'll regroup soon, hopefully.
Since you're on a cheap DC kick, there is one by Neutrogena that has really good reviews amongst naturals. I think it's about $6.00.
Neutrogena® Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask

Oh, and try to get back on track as soon as possible. It's a minor setback for a major comeback.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Since you're on a cheap DC kick, there is one by Neutrogena that has really good reviews amongst naturals. I think it's about $6.00.
Neutrogena® Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask

Oh, and try to get back on track as soon as possible. It's a minor setback for a major comeback.

Kay!!! :kiss:

You rock! First, I forgot about that DC! I'm so, so glad you mentioned it. I remember reading about it a long while back, and I'd actually be excited to try that one!

Second, thanks for the encouraging words. They are perfectly what I needed to hear. I'm discouraged in 4 areas of life all at once right now, and your words mean a lot. I'm applying it to all 4 areas. Thank you!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
It's hard to believe 2018 is so near.

For Quarter 1 of 2018, I plan to follow a CurlyProverbz-inspired hair care regimen. I know that I want simpler . . . faster . . . and juicier. :smile:

So far I'm leaning towards a wash day that looks like this:
  1. Prepoo (either Chicoro's DIY prepoo or CurlyProverbz's DIY detangler recipe #1)
  2. Cleanse and ayurveda-treat scalp (Cantu ACV Root Rinse, then Soultanicals Soulvedic Strands Poo Bar)
  3. Cleanse and ayurveda-treat strands (chelate once a month, else Bask & Bloom Rhassoul and Bentonite Clay Shampoo Bar followed by Soultanicals Soulvedic Strands Poo Bar [or vice versa])
  4. Apply balancing deep conditioner (Bask & Bloom Brahmi Root Mask or 2.5 tbsps of Green Beauty Protein in 3.5 tbsps of SM Honey Manuka masque)
  5. Detangle with re-wet deep conditioner
  6. Apply DIY ayurvedic curl activator hair tea (DIY CurlyProverbz Hair Tea plus glycerin and argan oil . . . or some other recipe) to hydrate and strengthen
  7. Apply CurlyProverbz DIY shea buttercream to moisturize and seal
  8. Twist up hair for either wearing a (1) wig or (2) twist-out or (3) wash-and-go on stretched hair using Black Castor and Flaxseed Oil Eco Style gel primarily

faithVA

I think I'm getting closer to a regimen :look: I'm at least repeating a few things :look:

Tonight I shampooed and applied a color so I had to skip the conditioner. Otherwise I would have conditioned after the shampoo.
I spritzed my hair with diluted leave-in and let my hair air dry in large twists for an hour.
I did a layering of products with the Mane Choice Egyptian leave-in, Carol's Daughter Honey Mimosa and Kinky Curly gel.

So far it looks like a light creme/glycerin spray, grease /oil and a gel works well.

I think on shampoo days when I don't color or indigo, I will do glycerin spray, light cream, grease/oil and gel/butter.

I put my hair in flat twist and cocooned the ends.

faithVA

Decided not to do my weekend shampoo. I pulled out that qRedew which was lonely in my closet.

I steamed sections, applied Mane Choice Restorative spray, followed by TGIN Daily Moisturizer. I combed through with my Tangle Teezer. Then I sealed with Carol's Daughter Honey Mimosa and KCCC. I am back in flat twist. Don't plan on wearing my hair out again until I do my length check at the end of the year.

I will see if this combination keeps my hair moisturized until Thursday or Friday. This weekend coming up I need to do a protein treatment and a DC which I haven't done since I can't remember.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Decided not to do my weekend shampoo. I pulled out that qRedew which was lonely in my closet.

I steamed sections, applied Mane Choice Restorative spray, followed by TGIN Daily Moisturizer. I combed through with my Tangle Teezer. Then I sealed with Carol's Daughter Honey Mimosa and KCCC. I am back in flat twist. Don't plan on wearing my hair out again until I do my length check at the end of the year.

I will see if this combination keeps my hair moisturized until Thursday or Friday. This weekend coming up I need to do a protein treatment and a DC which I haven't done since I can't remember.

Awww, lonely. Well, glad it got some attention. :smile:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
It's hard to believe 2018 is so near.

For Quarter 1 of 2018, I plan to follow a CurlyProverbz-inspired hair care regimen. I know that I want simpler . . . faster . . . and juicier. :smile:

So far I'm leaning towards a wash day that looks like this:
  1. Prepoo (either Chicoro's DIY prepoo or CurlyProverbz's DIY detangler recipe #1)
  2. Cleanse and ayurveda-treat scalp (Cantu ACV Root Rinse, then Soultanicals Soulvedic Strands Poo Bar)
  3. Cleanse and ayurveda-treat strands (chelate once a month, else Bask & Bloom Rhassoul and Bentonite Clay Shampoo Bar followed by Soultanicals Soulvedic Strands Poo Bar [or vice versa])
  4. Apply balancing deep conditioner (Bask & Bloom Brahmi Root Mask or 2.5 tbsps of Green Beauty Protein in 3.5 tbsps of SM Honey Manuka masque)
  5. Detangle with re-wet deep conditioner
  6. Apply DIY ayurvedic curl activator hair tea (DIY CurlyProverbz Hair Tea plus glycerin and argan oil . . . or some other recipe) to hydrate and strengthen
  7. Apply CurlyProverbz DIY shea buttercream to moisturize and seal
  8. Twist up hair for either wearing a (1) wig or (2) twist-out or (3) wash-and-go on stretched hair using Black Castor and Flaxseed Oil Eco Style gel primarily

This worked pretty well. I installed 6 sleek twists on each side of my head. I ponytailed the twists and was able to EASILY wear my long(er) wig over it.

NOTE: New discovery!!! For the twists whose ends stayed puffy, I went back in and unraveled just the ends and retwisted the ends. I guess because product had had more time to sink in, the retwisted twists ended up puff-less on the ends the second time around. :up: This is an EXCELLENT discovery!!! :clapping:

Quick reviews for myself:
  • The Bask & Bloom Brahmi Root Masque was pretty good. I need to keep trialing it, though.
  • The Brahmi Benotonite and Rhassoul Clay Shampoo Bar was alright but a little drying, I think. And it definitely didn't give me that "oooooo, I can detangle with this" experience.
  • While I like my CP curl activator tea and CP buttercream, they have the OPPOSITE effect of adding slip to my hair. I had to apply Soultanicals Hair Glide on top of the curl activator tea.
  • NOTE: I didn't use enough shea butter in my first attempt at the CP buttercream recipe. I used 2 tablespoons to 3/4 cup of coconut oil. I definitely need more shea butter in that recipe. Maybe waaaaay more. I don't know. I just know that it turned into OIL once I applied it to my hair . . . so the effect was that I had glycerin (which kind of feels like oil in that recipe, for me), cream, then oil. I definitely want to twist with something the texture of firmly soft butter, if that makes any sense.