My Shingles are Greasy!(Shingling product suggestions)

ArrrBeee

I shingled my 2 inch fro last night using Curling Custard. I feel like this is the 80's and I have a curl. Did I use too much product? Does anyone use a different product for shingling?

Signed,

I need a towel for the back of my sofa :)

Diane71 said:
What does shingling mean???

Diane, shingling is a term from The Curve Salon . It's easier to follow the link and SEE than for me to explain it. In short, it's a technique for bringing out the curl pattern in curly textured hair.

Not Rapunzel said:
I feel like this is the 80's and I have a curl. Did I use too much product? Does anyone use a different product for shingling?

Hair turned our similarly, largely due simply to texture than product. If you are experiencing the greasies, you probably used too much. Did you use a leave in conditioner prior to applying the Curling Custard? If so, which did you use? How much.

Personally, I have had the least success with the Curling Custard when it comes to Shingling.

Products I've tried (for shingling purposes only) and liked are:

:up: :up: :up: :up: Bubble Up Styling Pudding ($9.95 + shipping/Handling)
:up: :up: :up: Miss Jessie's Curling Pudding ($28.00 + shipping/Handling)
:up: :up: :up: Citre Shine Making Waves Gel ($6.99 local drug store)
:up: :up: :up: Fantasia Gel w/Sparklelites ($3.99 local drug store) (great hold!)
:up: :up: Kinky Curly's Curling Custard ($22.00 + shipping/handling)
:up: :up: L'oreal Out of Bed ($4.99 local drug store)
:up: :up: Shine Curl Activator Gel (local bss, can't remember price) (this one will stay 'moist' so don't over apply).

For shingling, I personally liked the first two the best, if it's just a wash and wear, any of the five will do.

For me, all of them worked to some degree, a leave in conditioner was key to success. I use V05 Peaches & Cream (love peaches!) or Strawberries & Cream.

How much to apply? Depends on hair length, density, how much hold you want/need. I'd say start with a lighter application than heavy and see how your hair responds.

I'm sure someone else will chime in w/more!! :yep:

Good luck!

I don't have any tips but I can commiserate. I had a similar disaster using curl pudding last week. My hair felt stickish and I had a film on my neck.

I've not found anything that gave me a clean or natural feel to my hair.

Since I'm more concerned about appearance than feel, this isn't a problem for me. The ones I listed previously all have some film/residue that is very apparent to the touch. Most of them have 'holding' properties.

LaNecia said:
Bubble Up Styling Pudding ($9.95 + shipping/Handling)

Where did you get yours? The site I wanted to order from no longer sells it at the $9.95 price but its $12 and some change....plus shipping.

Hey Lanelle,

I got mine from probably the same site you're looking at: HairforSale.com. I ordered mine the first week of May at the lower price.

Another site you can try is Bubbleup.com. They still have it for $9.95.

HTH

LaNecia,

Have you tried any of the My honey child producs for curl definition or holding? Feel is important tome so I was glad to hear your reviews.

thanks

Vintage,

No, I haven't tried their products yet. I think I'm about done experimenting for a while, the ones I have work well alone and in different combinations. It just makes for a 'set' style once it dries which can be good and bad.

Not Rapunzel said:
I shingled my 2 inch fro last night using Curling Custard. I feel like this is the 80's and I have a curl. Did I use too much product? Does anyone use a different product for shingling?

Signed,

I need a towel for the back of my sofa :)
I recently shingled with Curling Custard and got pretty much the same effect. I felt like an 80's throwback for sure. I think I will have better results if I "cocktail" the Custard with Curly Pudding, Be Curly, or some other product, since they offer opposing results.

I also found that I needed alot of curliy custard. Too much. After, I tried right on curl activator gel with IC fantasia gel. That seemed to work . I do like curly pudding as well for shingling. Though, it does seem to take me longer to work it with curly pudding .I think that it also depend on how wet your hair is and if you use a leave in conditioner.

Vintagecoilylocks said:
LaNecia,

Have you tried any of the My honey child producs for curl definition or holding? Feel is important tome so I was glad to hear your reviews.

thanks

I'd recommend the Coconut Hair Jel. I've had this stuff for awhile now but I just started using it and I'm very, very impressed. I don't use it for shingling but the curl definition and hold are both great. It leaves the hair shiny but not greasy.

everytime i see this thread i instantly thing of herpes related shingles. im like eeeew, greasy herpes?!

um, sorry... i will exit the thread now :look:

Back