Curl pudding review/ my first shingling attempt

kristina

Hi ladies,
I decided to attempt shingling today since my baby twists were looking sad. I tried to follow the directions on the curve-salon site but I don't think I made small enough sections. Also I didn't blowdry to stretch out the curl-I'm going to try that tomorrow and will update if the results are any better. My thoughts on the product- it smells good but the smell is really overpowering which I don't like too much. I put a lot of the curl pudding on my hair and looking at the results I think I should have put on more. I lost a bit of hair sectioning and smoothing/combing with the rat tail comb. The product does give curl definition but all the product makes the hair feel a bit tacky- not as bad as gel but still it feels different. And there is definately a little bit of crunch- though my hair doesn't feel hard. Anyways, the pictures are in my album- let me know what you think. My mom says I look different and my dad says I look very berkeley. I like the look sort of but it wasn't the look I had in mind. My problem isn't the curl definition- I think it looks okay even though it's uneven. It's just that my hair is really big and I'm not into hair this big- I'm sure I'll get some funny looks until I get back to SF. The look is more curly fro funky- I think I'm channeling yaya. lol. I might use the product again since it's so darn expensive but I'm definately not digging the whole shingling thing. It requires a lot of manipulation and product and I bet I would have had a nicer look with a twist set.
So natural 3c/4a considering buying this product, I'd caution buying it with the expectation of having work-ready curls. If anyone has in recommendations on how to stretch the hair out more and reduce the shrinkage, please let me know.

ok so whats wrong with it?? lol...

i think the bigger droopier curls r cuz of the texture...i cant wait till my refill of pudding comes in on tuesday :yay:

Thanks for the review. It does sound like a lot of effort and time, which really sucks if you aren't thrilled with the result.

Okay it's official-I'm never going to shingling my whole head again. I just woke up and after sleeping in a scarve the curls have flattened and the shrinkage has increased! So I'm going to wash and try something else. Sigh...

I think it looks good! I like the results that you got, but then again I can't feel it. Maybe try it another time before you make your final decision on the product. And if you STILL don't like it....

**and you want to get rid of it...let me know!! LOL.

deedabug said:
ok so whats wrong with it?? lol...

i think the bigger droopier curls r cuz of the texture...i cant wait till my refill of pudding comes in on tuesday :yay:

I thought the pudding would reduce shrinkage but it doesn't really do much in that respect. And trust in person, my hair is huge. I still have issues wearing my natural hair big and out. I'm going to blowdry it out because it looks even bigger this morning.

Cincysweetie said:
I think it looks good! I like the results that you got, but then again I can't feel it. Maybe try it another time before you make your final decision on the product. And if you STILL don't like it....

**and you want to get rid of it...let me know!! LOL.

Thanks! I think I'm going to use it to make a curly puff. And I might experiment with it and a denman brush and twist sets. Will let you know if I want to get rid of it (it's 3/4 full right now).

kristina said:
I thought the pudding would reduce shrinkage but it doesn't really do much in that respect. And trust in person, my hair is huge. I still have issues wearing my natural hair big and out. I'm going to blowdry it out because it looks even bigger this morning.

keep working with it...if u use more than a lid ful it will cause more shrinkage...i learned that the hard way lol...try putting it on each section (6 for me..the nape..the middle/top...each side an the part above each ear) in the shower....rub a good amt in ur palms and rub on each section then finger comb it thru...and tugging on ur hair as u apply...

to me this makes the hair stick together and when u go thru it with ur fingers it seperates...shake ur head before you get out of the shower....how about letting it airdry??

sleeping on ur curls will cause a need for refreshening in the morning...u can wash every day :)

May I ask how you slept on them? I've never used Curly Pudding but I read about sleeping with hair in a high ponytail (using a satin scrunchy or maybe a stocking cut into a scrunchie, etc.) and then covering that with the scarf. That really made a HUGE difference for me in terms of being able to "stretch" my wash and go's more than a couple of days lol. Helps with the shrinkage as well. :)

PhonyBaloney500 said:
May I ask how you slept on them? I've never used Curly Pudding but I read about sleeping with hair in a high ponytail (using a satin scrunchy or maybe a stocking cut into a scrunchie, etc.) and then covering that with the scarf. That really made a HUGE difference for me in terms of being able to "stretch" my wash and go's more than a couple of days lol. Helps with the shrinkage as well. :)

I wrapped my hair in a scarf. Yeah, I should try the high ponytail trick but I'm still convinces that shingling is way too much effort for me.

Back