Ladies sick of having short hair..!

Kayanna1212

So ladies this is my hair as of April 4,2009 i believe

But it seems like my hair will not grow past shoulder length no matter what i do
heres my hair routine:
Wash with groganics Deep freeze stimulant DHT Shampoo & Condish every other 2 weeks
Grease hair with Softee Cocunt oil(currently in weave braids as of 5/4/09) Every 3-4 days
Oil hair with Sulu max gro every week or two..And use ORS hair olive oil creame
what am i doing wrong!!
And i really cant change products...............Because i dont wanna use all them chemicals in my hair.

LadyPaniolo

Hmmm... obviously something you are doing/not doing is hindering your progress.

Why are you putting grease on your scalp? I know exactly what grease you are using... I use it to seal. I would NEVER apply it to my scalp as mineral oil/petrolatum is one of the main ingredients. :look: Perhaps you should try eliminating that aspect of your reggie for a few months and see if you get better results.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Seems like you're clogging your scalp with a lot of mineral oil. The grease, Sulu Max... ORS moisturizer contains mineral oil as well, doesn't it?

Besides that, you're just starting girl! You have to have patience. Health before length is a common motto here :yep:

SmilingElephant

Seems like you're clogging your scalp with a lot of mineral oil. The grease, Sulu Max... ORS moisturizer contains mineral oil as well, doesn't it?

Besides that, you're just starting girl! You have to have patience. Health before length is a common motto here :yep:

:yep:Yep.....i just noticed you started in March...give yourself 6 months with a really good reggie to see some awesome progress.

And stop clogging your scalp!!!:look:...... Clog the drain instead!:grin:

But the key is to keep that scalp clean and keep them ends moisturized.

freshlikemoi

I needed to read that....I'm trying to grow out my bangs for my wedding and I need to remind myself health before length and that patience is truly a virtue.

Austro-Afrikana

I think you need to wash at least once a week and moisturise your hair (ends) every night before wrapping. But use a simple butter like shea butter instead of something with mineral oil in it. There's a lot you could do to your regimen.

Kayanna1212

Yes...It does
But everything has mineral oil in it though:( but my hair doesnt mind it,it doesnt sit on the top of my hair

msa

But it seems like my hair will not grow past shoulder length no matter what i do
heres my hair routine:

• Wash with groganics Deep freeze stimulant DHT Shampoo & Condish every other 2 weeks
  • Grease hair with Softee Cocunt oil(currently in weave braids as of 5/4/09) Every 3-4 days
  • Oil hair with Sulu max gro every week or two..And use ORS hair olive oil creame
  • what am i doing wrong!!
  • And i really cant change products...............Because i dont wanna use all them chemicals in my hair.
I find it hilarious that you don't want to use chemicals, but you relax and all your products have "bad" chems in them.

Anyway. Your routine needs some work. None of your products seem particularly moisturizing. Your hair needs to be washed, conditioned, moisturized, and cared for. I think you're missing out on the conditioning and moisturizing. Grease and oils do not moisturize (though coconut/olive/avocado oils do penetrate the hair, but they still don't moisturize). Are you caring for your ends by keeping them protected?

I suggest you look through threads and get an idea of what you need to really condition and moisturize your hair. You should probably be conditioning more frequently than every 2 weeks. Didn't you just make a thread about doing a cowash the other day? You could do more of those.

If you want suggestions on products with no or few chems let me know and I'll give you a list.

Minty

be nice msa. Kayanna you got all the great advice to your question you need. Give yourself some time, don't rush anything and don't run out an buy a alot of new things. Take the advice given

You are doing fine - hang in there.

HairBella08

I'm a newbie to true hair care too and the first thing that worked for me was to stop "greasing" my scalp. Not all my products are mineral free, but I've found that greasing my scalp does nothing for my hair...besides greasing never stopped my ends from popping off. I need more moisure by use a water based moisturizer and then sealing with a light oil. I also made sure I wash and deep conditioned weekly. I recently discovered without really trying that my scalp hates sulfate shampoos. Some people can use Keracare with no problem, but it irritates my scalp. Now I use Curls Curlious Cleasing Cream or CON (green label - which I think they stopped making) and no more itchy scalp. Maybe this is why you feel the need to grease your scalp...just a thought...sorry so long.

I have a long way to go, but i hope this helps.

msa

Yes...It does
But everything has mineral oil in it though:( but my hair doesnt mind it,it doesnt sit on the top of my hair

Maybe your hair does mind it and that's why you're finding it difficult to retain length.

Granted, it's only been a couple months since you started your hair journey. You won't really see a huge difference in length in that short amount of time anyway. Like others have said, definitely focus on health first.

LadyPaniolo

Not everything has mineral oil in it Kayanna... you just have to put forth lots of effort to make sure it is used when and where it should be.

:bighug:

The best thing you could do for your hair is to go and read through all the stickies on the hair board. You will learn TONS. Be sure to read all of Sistaslick's articles, and you will be a hair genius in no time. :bookworm:

msa

msa

be nice msa. Kayanna you got all the great advice to your question you need. Give yourself some time, don't rush anything and don't run out an buy a alot of new things. Take the advice given

You are doing fine - hang in there.

huh?

I didn't realize I wasn't being nice.

my bad for trying to help.

Kayanna1212

[/list]I find it hilarious that you don't want to use chemicals, but you relax and all your products have "bad" chems in them.
Umm you didnt have to say that in a rude way...
Finding it hilarious ok i may not no everything about good healthy hair..But that doesnt give you the right to act rude towards me.:ohwell:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
After Sustaining A Huge Casualty, I've committed myself to 2 years, before I know I will see results that I am proud of and before my hair turns itself around. So, I have settled that time frame in my mind.

Therefore, I will continue to research the threads, get myself a good solid regimen that includes good products, good haircare practices and a healthy diet including supplements etc...and incorporating the 2 "P's" Prayer + Patience. I am in No Rush.:nono:

During the 2 years, I will learn "My Hair" and What works and what doesn't work for "My Hair" and Hopefully, I will be able to help someone else along the way should they face what I have unfortunately had to face.

So, Ladies, You're stuck with me for 2 years, while I nurse my hair from Intensive Care to the Smokin' Hot Bomb it was before.:gorgeous:

Last edited:

msa

Umm you didnt have to say that in a rude way...
Finding it hilarious ok i may not no everything about good healthy hair..But that doesnt give you the right to act rude towards me.:ohwell:

Kayanna I really really really really seriously was not trying to be rude in any way. It just seemed like an oxymoron to me, that's all. I apologize if it appeared rude.

metro_qt

You braids!!!!
i remember when i got my hair cornrowed for one solid year, i thought i was doing my hair a favour.

NOPE!!! the people braiding my hair were harsh on the combing of it, etc, and the braids too small.... my hair stayed at neck length for a full year and a half.

your hair might be sensitive to braids...
you might want to wear your hair in bigger plaits that just hang down,
and maybe try half wigging it, or something creative...

i gave my hair a break from braids after that by keeping my hair in a bun, and wearing a phony pony,

and now, i'm finding much success with wigs, my hair's grown to midback.

much success and growth!
(and stop with those scalp clogging oils.. moisturize your *hair* not your scalp)

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I pretty much agree with Metro_qt. Braids are not always the best for hair though it's considered a protective style. I never wear braids anymore. Won't even consider them.
Most braiders make them too small, too tight and too taut around the hairline. :nono:

~NanCeBoTwin~

I'd say venture out in the threads and your local bss or where you purchase your products and switch up. If you aren't noticing a difference in your hair with your current products then they could be the culprit.

When I first became a member I read the following thread first (granted some of the links are broken still full of good info and a good start on researching):
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=38586
You should also check out the Favorite Stickies Thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=255441

HTH.....good luck on your hair journey

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Yes...It does
Your hair may not mind it, but I'm sure your scalp does :yep: Try to keep the MO away from your scalp. There are plenty of stuff without mineral oil, you just have to look harder :)

2themax

heres my hair routine:
Wash with groganics Deep freeze stimulant DHT Shampoo & Condish every other 2 weeks
Grease hair with Softee Cocunt oil(currently in weave braids as of 5/4/09) Every 3-4 days
Oil hair with Sulu max gro every week or two..And use ORS hair olive oil creame
what am i doing wrong!!
And i really cant change products...............Because i dont wanna use all them chemicals in my hair.[/quote]

It's not only the topical aids that count, but also you must be healthy. Are you taking any supps and vits? Also drink p-l-e-n-t-y of water!!! Remember, your hair grows from the inside therefore you need to make sure you are nourishing your body. The growth aids may assist in retaining the length, but you must first get it to grow (from inside). I know because I suffered the same thing for many years until someone made me aware of it. You can do it girl - just watch!!!:yep:

morehairplease

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum. I must agree with the ladies on health before length(this is something that I have to keep reiterating to myself). I seem to want everything over night even though I know it's not possible.....take baby steps and make gradual changes and your hair will thank you.

Last edited:

Rain20

Try doing 1-2 things at a time. If you dont want to change products, then try avoiding MO on scalp and conditioning more frequently. Once you run out of your products maybe try adding a new conditioner, like the ORS replenishing and start a hair, skin, and nails vitamin. Then add a new moisturizer. Do some more reading, and try not to become a PJ. Rememeber if something works for you it works for you and it does not really matter if others approve. It's about your hair. Good luck and HHG.

lexielex

I agree with all things said most important "Health Before Length"in a few months time you will see the changes in your hair slowly but surely. Also step up the conditioning should make a dramatic difference. Are you currently having any hair issues like dryness etc?

Urban

Seems like everyone is focussing on your scalp and the greasing issue ... I don't really know that that's the problems as there are many people here with long hair using grease (I don't use it personally though), so I don't really think greasing your hair can stop your hair from growing.

I'd like to know:

1) How much breakage you're getting - when you comb, on wash days etc
2) Do you comb? - what do you use
3) Are you getting much shedding?
4) How often do you moisturize (I see you use ORS olive oil creme, is this water based?)?

ETA: From the info you've give so far, I'd definately agree with the point that you need to start washing more often.

Last edited: