FYI, Shapley's new M-T-G is finally here!

chellero

Wife Supremacist
You know they wanted to call it Zulu, but Sulu is close enough that it still gets the 'for bald headed Africans' message across :look:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: Yeah their marketing technique is a little offensive. That doesn't mean that the products not good, but still.... Shaniquea or whatever her alleged name is is just wrong.

baby42

Can someone post the ingredients when they get the product? I know some of y'all are ordering it now....
here you go INGEDIENTS MINERAL OIL SULFER CLYCERIN ZINE STERATE OIL CADE FRANGRANCE. THAT ALL PEOPLE:lachen:IS MINERAL OIL GOOD FOR YOUR HAIR?:look:

Last edited:

wheezy807

Can someone post the ingredients when they get the product? I know some of y'all are ordering it now....
MAX GRO
INGREDIENTS
• Mineral Oil
• Sulfur
• Glycerin
• Zinc Sterate
• Oil of Cade
• Fragrance

But i wanna compare it to the original, does anyone have those ingredients?​

sareca

Thanks for posting the ingredients! My hair doesn't mind mineral oil one bit. It's in most of my favorite products.

ETA: Ya'll gonna feel bad when Shenequa runs up in here mad 'cause ya'll making fun of her name. :lachen:

Last edited:

Tamrin

unapologetic
MAX GRO
INGREDIENTS
• Mineral Oil
• Sulfur
• Glycerin
• Zinc Sterate
• Oil of Cade
• Fragrance

But i wanna compare it to the original, does anyone have those ingredients?​

Original MTG:

Petroleum Distillates
Sulfur 4%
Zinc Stearate
Glycerin
Cade oil

Now I think Im going to prefer the Original stinky one. I'm not sure of the percentage of sulfur that is in the Sulu Max gro. Mineral oil is not good for hair. Hmmm

KhandiB

Thanks for posting the ingredients! My hair doesn't mind mineral oil one bit. It's in most of my favorite products.

ETA: Ya'll gonna feel bad when Shenequa runs up in here mad 'cause ya'll making fun of her name. :lachen:

My hair actually strives when I use products with Mineral Oil..

Dont ask me why :lol:

Im still not sold, but im walkin up to the register :lol: slowly but surely

Incredible1ne

Is cade oil good for hair? I remember reading somewhere that it causes infertility. If that's the case I'm going to have to pass.

Tamrin

unapologetic

:lachen::lachen::lachen:. Leave Shanequa alone...

OT. Your hair is beautiful. do you hair dry?. It is soo shiny. :spinning:

sprungonhairboards

Original MTG:

Petroleum Distillates
Sulfur 4%
Zinc Stearate
Glycerin
Cade oil

Now I think Im going to prefer the Original stinky one. I'm not sure of the percentage of sulfur that is in the Sulu Max gro. Mineral oil is not good for hair. Hmmm

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure petroleum distillates is just another word for mineral oil. And it should be applied to the scalp anyway not the hair.

Last edited:

Tamrin

unapologetic
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure petroleum distillates is just another word for mineral oil. And it should be applied to the scalp anyway not the hair anyway.

This is what I found about Petroleum Distillates:

• Petroleum distillates is the term commonly used to refer to aliphatic hydrocarbons. Aliphatic hydrocarbons can actually be divided into two groups: petroleum distillates and synthetic paraffinic hydrocarbons. We use petroleum distillates to mean both types of products.
  • Petroleum distillates include mineral spirits, kerosene, white spirits, naphtha, and Stoddard solvent. These products may contain trace amounts of benzene and other aromatics.
  • When compared to petroleum distillates, the paraffinic hydrocarbons have lower flammability, lower aromatic content, narrower boiling range, and higher solvency. They are also more expensive than the petroleum distillates.
  • The petroleum distillates (and paraffinic hydrocarbons) work well on hard-to-clean organic soils such as heavy oil and grease, tar, and waxes.
  • These products typically have low liquid surface tensions (22 to 28 dynes/cm). This allows them to penetrate and clean small spaces.
  • Petroleum distillates typically operate at near room temperatures. This is due to the flammability of the products. However, the flash points may be higher than that of terpenes.
  • Petroleum distillates are usually used in immersion baths.
  • Ultrasonics may or may not work, depending on the particular product.
  • Petroleum distillates can typically handle high soil loads.
  • When the cleaning power of the bath is exhausted, the entire bath usually needs to be replaced.
  • Petroleum distillates are compatible with most materials including most elastomers. Mineral spirits may not be compatible with EPDM, SBR, and silicone.
  • Petroleum distillates are frequently used in manual wipe-down processes.
  • Aliphatic hydrocarbons are often blends containing oxygenated hydrocarbons. Flash points are higher than that of terpenes and traditional solvents. Lower flash points mean faster drying but more danger of burning.

Crysdon

All I gotta say, is why her name gotta be
"Shaniqeua" ? :perplexed

This product is truly amazing,
I noticed a difference within only
a week of using it. I have been
using M-T-G for years, thanks
for making a New product just
for me … my hair will continue
to grow long and beautiful!
-Shaniqeua Lewis,Scotsdale Michigan

ETA: Somebody beat me to it!

Don't we have a member named Shanique? Maybe she submitted the testimony.

P.S. - I may give this new oil a try and give you all an update.

P.S.S. - I thought the ladies from the various hairboards asked Shapelys to create a human version? Why ask for it, then criticize them for doing so?

* I didn't read through all the posts, so forgive me if I asked any redundant questions.

Crysdon

P.S.S. - I thought the ladies from the various hairboards asked Shapelys to create a human version? Why ask for it, then criticize them for doing so?

* I didn't read through all the posts, so forgive me if I asked any redundant questions.

Peaches75

Has anyone ever pour the M-T-G oil out & kept the sulfer at the bottom and added your own favorite oil to it? Does it help with the smell? Can you use a thicker oil that won't run as much like castor oil?

HERicane10

:amen: Come on ladies......no one made us run out & buy the horse oil. Why complain about our own decisions? Afterall, Shapley's wasn't making it for us UNTIL WE ASKED! :look: :dighole:

lmjenk67

I copied this from their "About Us" section:

A Legacy is Born…

We trace our beginning back to 1938, with a barber in the midwest named Henry E. Shapley. Responding to his customer’s needs, he formulated a product for scalp conditions including dandruff and psoriasis. An avid horse lover, he discovered that his product not only provided “miraculous” results relieving skin problems, but also promoted hair growth on the coat, mane and tail of his horses. Soon, the product was being sold to the equine market as Original M-T-G.

Now…..fast forward 66 years. In 2004, we began receiving phone calls and emails, primarily from women of African descent, who were using Original M-T-G to promote their own hair growth. (probably why their site seems like it is aimed at AA women and not caucasian women; AA women asked for it so they gave it to us).
They reported excellent results and demand for the product grew rapidly based upon activity in internet chat rooms and word-of-mouth. Other than an occasional concern that Original M-T-G was sold for equine use, the only real dissatisfaction reported was the peculiar smell of the product.

Now…SULU introduces MAX GRO to address the needs of human hair care. Expect the same great, proven results of Original M-T-G with an improved carrier oil and a human friendly smell.

Not just proven, but now laboratory and DERMATOLOGIST TESTED as well.

bklynLadee

I read every single comment and I found it very hilarious! On one note...I do agree that the website does not look professional and at first glance I did feel like they were targeting specifically African American women. But I do recall the craze of MTG and I do recall women reporting back on the boards stating that they spoke to the people and asked them to make some specifically for humans that has a pleasant smell. When I saw the site I thought Oh they finally did it!

Its great that everyone is thinking critically but let's not be too critical. Think about how far we've come. Back in the day AAW had to use products that we strictly made and advertised for WW. Now we got ppl on our side tryna make a product for US giving credit to US and if its true that they made the site...then they've done a beautiful job.

I am happy that they listened and decided to deliver. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but Im just saying for the record that I highly doubt it was MTGs effort to be condescending or mock our culture and race. On the contrary I believe that their website promotes black beauty.

I can only imagine how people would feel if they had the same site with just white women's pictures with the same comments "we got the idea from hair websites that said they wanted a better scent" :lachen:

And maybe a few comments from Mary-joe? lololol.

Chrissy811

Why are they trying to act like only African-American ladies use it when we found out about it from the Caucasian ladies?:look:

Oh, I guess cause we were the main ones calling them up telling them how well it works onn *gasp* humans. Why can't we just buy something and let their increase in sales speak for themselves? Why do we always have to go and tell the person making the product, thus they up the price because of a little concept called "supply and demand.":drunk:

Exactly!!!!:grin:

HoneyDew

If folks putting Petroleum Distillates on their scalp, mineral oil is cool with me. Besides mineral oil IS a Petroleum Distillate.

They need to step up the marketing game, but I am willing to try the product. I cannot stand MTG and I don't see how anyone could walk around smelling like that stuff.

I still bet they cannot totally get rid of that sulfur smell. I thought it was the cade oil that was part of the stink, too. :look:

Anyway, I will be a guinea pig yall. Anyone else? I ain't scurred or ashamed. And as much time as I spend on here and I should be doing other things, I can spare $12.

My only problem with things that make hair grow faster is that I cannot stretch my relaxers. Heck, I can't stretch anyway. That is the only problem I have.

Last edited:

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
For the folx who have this what does it smell like? For the folx who are in contact with the company, can you find out the percentage of sulfur? I tried the original, and it stunk to high heaven. I think I used it a week before I set it aside. I havent tried BT and havent been worried about growth aides since after my BC it grew enough to pull back. I do have my own sulfur powder, but I hate mixing stuff. I dont know if I will try this or not, although I do like the fact they gave folx what they asked for and that they took it one step further and had it tested.

soxie119

And why does it make any difference whether you buy this new formula or the old one? I mean are you still not supporting the same company?? If your so offended by this new ad compaign then i don't think you should get the old mtg either unless you're getting mtg form another company besides Shapleys. Just my two cents.

BrooklynSouth

I, too do not like only black models on the website. I cannot put my finger on it but something just does not sit right with me about that. Sure, I bought the original HORSE thing but now I make my own mixture.

FROM THE SITE:

MAX GRO
INGREDIENTS
• Mineral Oil
• Sulfur
• Glycerin
• Zinc Sterate
• Oil of Cade
• Fragrance

Proven Results. Laboratory and DERMATOLOGIST TESTED​

Last edited:

BrooklynSouth

SHAPLEYS...I KNOW YOU PEEP THIS SITE. Now mix it up with the ethnicities photos...you know darned well not just black women use your MTG. You've read the posts.....many are suspicious so make it right! Daddy whoever..now what's that about?

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I just peeked at the site and I was pleasantly surprised. You guys had me thinking it was really bootleg. It seems okay to me. I won't buy this product, but I won't complain either. We (well LHCF, I didn't) asked for a product without the smell and they delivered. They should be applauded.

senimoni

So are we boycotting all sights that target black woman? I don't get it. I understand the frustration of the SULU and Shaneiqua comments but if they were bombarded by emails and references too lhcf why wouldn't they target AA, no different to me then all the other Miracle Grow, Soul Gro, Gro Max products.

sareca

So are we boycotting all sights that target black woman? I don't get it. I understand the frustration of the SULU and Shaneiqua comments but if they were bombarded by emails and references too lhcf why wouldn't they target AA, no different to me then all the other Miracle Grow, Soul Gro, Gro Max products.

Thank you! That's what I'm saying... I don't get why we need to see white women on an ad to buy it. :confused: I need to get out of this thread. :drunk: I already brought mine. :up:

Last edited:

Maynard

I dont have an issue with the black women on the site, or them creating a new product especially for humans;

My issues are: :tantrum:

~ Using the sterotypical "Shanequia" as a testimony, from some unheard of place in Michigan,---I feel like they didnt even research their target market/audience, they just threw any ol thing up on the website and expect us to buy it... (which some of you are doing...you like it, I :love: it)

~ The soft, suggestive selling that some "posters" use to manipulate us into running :charge: into the stores to buy their product they are gently "pushing" oops... I mean raving about. All you have to do is a :detective:
quick search and see that we have several posters who do nothing but push products. No hair pics, no real testimony (some of the testimonies read like an ad on the side of the box), no posts any where else except to "rave" about this new product that they found...

:endrant: