JBCO OR REGULAR (LAXATIVE) CASTOR OIL?? DIFFERENCE?

Which do you prefer/use?

• JBCO

Votes: 49 62.8%
  • LAXATIVE CASTOR OIL

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • NO DIFFERENCE

Votes: 16 20.5%

• Total voters

SimJam

I am currently using cold pressed castor oil

Ive used BCO and I actually prefer the cold pressed type, but it might have just been the brand of BCO I tried.

the main difference between BCO and cold pressed is that the castor seed is roasted before its crushed and boiled, which gives the black colour and burnt smell

the pharmacy (laxative) type that is clear has been more processed than BCO or cold pressed

FRESHstart101

I am currently using cold pressed castor oil

Ive used BCO and I actually prefer the cold pressed type, but it might have just been the brand of BCO I tried.

the main difference between BCO and cold pressed is that the castor seed is roasted before its crushed and boiled, which gives the black colour and burnt smell

the pharmacy (laxative) type that is clear has been more processed than BCO or cold pressed

& im guessing you're implying that's it's not as good for the hair as other castor oils. have you used it and seen any results. should i just stick to my hollywood beauty castor oil ? :sad:

MaintaintheSexy

In the beginning, I used the laxative kind and my hair grew and it got thicker. A couple of years later, I feel it is not delivering anymore so I switched to JBCO. I will keep you ladies posted on my experience with it.

Missjae09

This thread is awesome and right non time.. I'd just decided to get some castor oil but I was torn as to which one I should get. From what I can tell from the different forums I've read is that the majority prefer JBCO, some prefer the one you get at the drugstore... but one thing I've noticed is that vurtually no one has said that neither oil has worked for them! which is wonderful.. whether JBCO was used or CO.. most people noticed that their hair was thickened. WAY TO GO LADIES!! Hopefully I'll be joining you soon! :clap:

Highly Favored8

I have been using JBCO since I joined this hair forum. Yes, it does smell like ash however, it does not linger once you use it. Less is more. I use JBCO as a seal on my ends.

SimJam

& im guessing you're implying that's it's not as good for the hair as other castor oils. have you used it and seen any results. should i just stick to my hollywood beauty castor oil ? :sad:

Ooops just seeing this. I wasnt really implying its worse, just that its more processed and may have addititve in it

actually Ive used all 3 types. I started out using the laxative type (benjamins brand, doubt its a brand u get in the US) when I as relaxed and it worked fine- used it to seal my ends

then I got the JBCO (EYL brand - produced locally) I cant really make a comparison b/c my natural hair and relaxed hair are like oposits with some products - plus I havnt used the laxative type since ive been natural

now Im using the the cold pressed oil (NOW brand) and its most def my fav over the JBCO mainly b/c it doesnt have the burnt smell :grin:

really I interchange between the cold pressed and the JBCO they work similarly in my hair.

Barbara

Princess
I'll stick with the drug store brand since it's cheaper. I thin it out by mixing it with other oils, and it works fine that way.

kellistarr

Castor oil is one of my favorite oils. I'm a soapmaker of both bar soap and liquid soap and castor oil is essential to ensure bubbly soap. I also love it on my body, but it must be combined with other oils! It is just too viscous to massage into your skin on it's own.

I don't believe that castor oil of any color is a growth oil. However, I do like JBCO simply for it's color. I laughed hard when I saw that now there is a darker JBCO. Anything for a buck! I don't think that there is any difference in either oil, both are awesome for sealing the hair.

lana

I would have to disagree with anyone that says Casor oil doesn't help with hair growth or stimulating the scalp. I had a hard time growing my bangs out and I started using Castor oil (the laxative kind) on my scalp only (in the bangs area) a few weeks ago. Last week was the first time that I didn't have to pin the bangs down.

I attribute the growth to my Castor oil use, no/low heat and very little manipulation.
Before Castor oil, the length in my bangs seemed stagnant. I reapply it like every 2 or 3 days.

It worked so well my husband said, "Wait, didn't you just start using that stuff a few weeks ago?" I did a happy dance.

NaiyaAi

Is there a difference between the kind you get at the pharmacy and the kind you get from a place like Now Foods? They're both clear, but I hear people talk about them as if there is a difference.

In any case, I'm obsessed with the Now Foods brand of castor oil. Castor oil's viscosity makes it a really good thing to have around, in my opinion. I prepoo with it (great for detangling), and I use it as a base in all of my scalp mixtures. Since it's so thick, it helps the mixture stay put wherever I apply it. It's also good for protecting my ends in a bun. I also use it for OCM and on my feet.

SpiritJunkie

I used jcbo from the west indies and the north american product cannot compare. the NA kind is very watered down.

I've been trying to get someone to bring some down for me. i had a bit of breakage on my sides & i would massage on my scalp and hair and it made a HUGE difference.

I'm heading to Grenada soon & not leaving there without it.

Pennefeather

I was wondering about this same question when I started looking for jbco about a month ago. I quickly realized that I couldn't find this in the local pharmacies. I ended up buying it online because I had read something about the ash content being important for hair growth. :perplexed

I can't even remember now where I read that. :nono:

spellinto

People say there's no difference but I've seen more results on my hair with JBCO. I have a lavendar jbco that I really enjoy the smell of. Still, regular castor oil's cool too if you're on a budget.

sj10460

Don't Come for me unless I send for you!
bump! Do people really notice a difference between the two? I've been using the Cold Pressed & Cold Processed castor oil and I haven't gotten the results that others receive with JBCO. I'm thinking about using the JBCO but I remember getting headaches as a child when my mom would put it in my hair. However, my edges around my temple could be a little fuller so I'm willing to give it a try.