Black Castor Oil vs Castor Oil

Which Castor Oil Provided Better Results for your hair health?

• I've Tried Both and prefer the Black Castor Oil

Votes: 64 14.3%
  • I've Tried Both and prefer the regular Castor Oil

Votes: 21 4.7%
  • I've only tried the Black Castor Oil

Votes: 60 13.4%
  • I've only tried the regular Castor Oil

Votes: 204 45.4%
  • I haven't tried either products

Votes: 80 17.8%
  • I haven't noticed a difference between either products

Votes: 27 6.0%

• Total voters

ItsyBitsy

I've never tried JBCO, but I use regular Castor oil and love it! I'm not gonna try JBCO because I can't imagine my hair feeling any better than this :grin: This stuff had me literally in amazement as I was takng my rollers out!!

Dillard,
When you rollerset using the castor oil did you use a leave-in too? Did you you apply the castor oil throughout the length of your hair or just the ends? TIA

cocoberry10

I use regular castor oil. What’s the difference between regular and Black castor oil (is it black in color)? What brand do you ladies use (of Jamaican Black Castor Oil)? Also, where can I purchase this? Thanks!

cocoberry10

My Mom used the regular castor oil since I was a child, I know it works, I'm glad you started this thread country gal because I was wondering if the black castor oil was better, I've heard some people refer to it like it's a wonder potion. Well, my curiosity is gone after this thread, I'll go to the laxitive department at my cvs and pick up the store brand castor oil like i've used all my life.

:lachen::lachen::grin:

cocoberry10

The black castor oil ain't no joke! It's the truth for real! I'm four months post relaxer. Absolutely no breakage or anything. My ends are off the chain. I baggy, using Elasta QP Mango Butter and seal with the Jamaican Black Castor Oil, concentrating on the ends. Again, after 4 months, absolutely NO breakage. I baggy my entire head and can truly see the difference. This stuff is a keeper!;)

If it's like that, I may use this to transition w/o the Big Chop (BC)!:yep:

cocoberry10

Do you think your hair would feel just as good with regular Castor Oil? I just purchased castor oil and I don't want to jump ahead and buy something new. It's hard to use regular ole castor oil on my hair every night or rub it all over, because it's so thick.

I love how castor oil makes my hair feel, so in that case, I might as well get JBCO so that I can use it more efficiently.

Use only a little. That stuff goes a loooooooooong way!

cocoberry10

Has anyone mixed rosemary with their castor oil. I read in another thread (on this board) that some ladies are “steeping” rosemary in their castor oil for 10 days. I think you should use fresh or dried rosemary leaves???

Crystalicequeen123

What is it in castor oil that causes hair to thicken up??

Hmmm....I may have to add this to my regimen. What brand/brands are you all using?

Crystalicequeen123

I am not sure. My hair loves it. I stopped using it for a while. I noticed the difference. I am back to using castor oil faithfully.

Interesting. I've never tried it! Do you have fine hair? I have fine hair, and I would like something that could give me thicker hair. I think I'll go buy some tonight! What brand?

How often do you ladies put the castor oil in your hair? Every night? Every other day? Once a week??

Also, does the castor oil actually MAKE your hair growing out of your scalp thicker, or does it just give off the APPEARANCE of thicker hair??

Diya

I see that so many ladies love Castor Oil, so I'm tempted to see what the hype is about. I tend towards lighter oils, though, like avocado and Vatika. Question: does Castor Oil make your hair greasy if you apply it sparingly? There's nothing I hate more than stiff, greasy, weighed down hair.

Crystalicequeen123

I see that so many ladies love Castor Oil, so I'm tempted to see what the hype is about. I tend towards lighter oils, though, like avocado and Vatika. Question: does Castor Oil make your hair greasy if you apply it sparingly? There's nothing I hate more than stiff, greasy, weighed down hair.

Isn't THAT the truth! :lol:

dillard

Dillard,
When you rollerset using the castor oil did you use a leave-in too? Did you you apply the castor oil throughout the length of your hair or just the ends? TIA

oh gosh. i'm hella late in responding to this! so yeah, sometimes i use lacio lacio first and then seal but i noticed if i use ONLY castor oil on my wet hair i get the same results... so a leave-in isn't even necessary. I put it on the whole thing. I used to rub it in my palm then smooth over the entire length but now I put it in my spray bottle and spritz each section like 3-4 times before setting.

ETA: Actually, the castor oil keeps clogging up my spray bottle so I'm back to rubbing it in my palm and smoothing it on...

Last edited:

KhandiB

Im going to get some Castor Oil, can you buy it at the grocery store? Or do you have to go to like CVS/RiteAid/Walgreens?

sonce

It has helped my hair to be much thicker and denser. I love it. I am wondering will I get even better results with the black castor oil.
How long did it take for you to notice these results? Is your hair relaxed or natural? Thanks in advance.

SunySydeofLyfe

On a whim after much ado on the board, I ordered the BCO (it was also on sale at the time). Smells like bacon grease, but I only use it as a pre-poo treatment so smell is not as important. I have had great results with it. I suppose it would be the same with odorless clear castor oil, but I have not tried it. Although, I have had a good experience with the BCO, I don't know that I would re-order. I believe that I can get similar results with sweet almond oil added to conditioner, etc. But for now, I am trying to use up all of the stuff I have ordered over the last year or so, and only replace products that I absolutely love.

hth

vickyd

I am going to adopt this motto!

CocoGlow

I have both Regular Castor oil & Jamaican Black Castor oil

Honestly, I cannot really tell the difference between the 2 ...JBCO may be slightly less thick....and it does have a distinct scent...I don't think I have a preference....I use the regular more b/c it's cheaper honestly

I e-mailed the company that makes JBCO a while ago about the ingredients to make sure they did not add any mineral oil to it, since they do not list ingredients on the bottle...

I got a quick response from the company, here is what they said: "The castor oil has no listed ingredient(s) because it is 100% pure castor beans and water to liquefy the mixture. You have no need to worry about any other ingredient that you shouldn't be using."....so I think the water may be the key to making it less sticky...

For those that want to know why castor oil is such a unique & wonderful oil, here is some info I got from the sams24 website and some other sites:
"Castor Oil is an ancient remedy that has been used throughout history for a variety of ailments. Over 500 years ago, slaves brought the seeds from Africa to Jamaica, where the extracted oil is still made the traditional way by many older folks. Tropic Isle is proud to continue that tradition with our Tropic Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil.

Many manufacturers use refined Castor Oil from South America and Asia and then add coloring to darken the oil and label the finished product as "Black Castor Oil." Others add a tip of Jamaican Black Castor Oil to the mixture and call it "Jamaican Black Castor Oil." Raw, unrefined Jamaican Black Castor Oil is a rare commodity. It is only a hand full of elderly Jamaicans who still engage in the art of producing raw, unrefined Jamaican Black Castor Oil. That is why it is not available on a large scale. Our Tropic Isle brand is real, 100%, made-in-Jamaica, Jamaican Black Castor Oil. You can tell by the smell.

Castor Oil for Hair and Scalp Conditions:
Tropic Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil is known to cleanse toxins from the scalp, nourish and thicken the hair, stimulate hair growth, moisturize dry brittle hair, repair split ends, and give hair body and bounce.
Older Jamaicans will tell you that Jamaican Black Castor Oil can be massaged into the skin to help eliminate the wastes and toxins that manifest as eczema, pamplona, liver spots, moles, warts, pimples, rashes and more. Use Tropic Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil for dry skin and stretch marks.
Castor Oil for Arthritis, Rheumatism and Muscular Aches and Pain:
Massage joints and muscles with Tropic Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil to cleanse, sooth, and improve circulation to areas affected by arthritis, rheumatism, joint stiffness, and muscular aches and pain.
Jamaican Black Castor Oil is traditionally used by women to help expel afterbirth wastes, thus helping to reduce stomach size after pregnancy. Older folks traditionally recommended the use of castor oil to induce labor during pregnancy. However, because large doses of castor oil can be lethal, we do not recommend using it to induce labor or expelling afterbirth waste without consulting a competent medical practitioner.
"Castor oil -
Also known as Palma Christi oil is pressed from the castor bean plant. It has been in use by many cultures for thousands of years as a folk medicine, being first recorded by the Egyptians as medicinal oil. Rich in fatty acids, it is a soothing, lubricating oil that is readily absorbed by the skin. It moisturizes by acting as a humectant which means it attracts and locks moisture to the skin, creating very emollient bar of soap. Castor bean oil adds mildness and richness to soap and provides a conditioning, fluffy lather with thick, large bubbles. Great in shampoo bars, Castor oil is commonly used in hair conditioners for the treatment of brittle, damaged hair or hair loss. Castor oil has hair conditioning and hair stimulant properties."
In my e-mail, I also asked if JBCO could be purchased at local Beauty Supply Stores b/c I did see the same bottles in my local BSS...they lady who responded told me that it can only be purchased at their site....I found that to be untrue , b/c I purchased a bottle from my local BSS...it looked the same, smelled the same & felt the same on my hair so.....:rolleyes:..unless the one I got from the BSS is a bootleg version...it a really good copy!

For those that do not want to purchase it online, your local beauty supply store should carry this brand behind the register....you just have to ask for "Jamaican Black Castor Oil"....my local store carries the smaller 4oz bottle for $4.99 ......
2 bottles would equal the same amount of product and $ that I get online in one bottle (8oz for $9.99) but much cheaper b/c I do not have to pay shipping & handeling or anything!!:yep:

I hope this helps
NappyRina

CocoGlow

Here is a pic of what the Tropic Isle JBCO looks like ... so if you see it in the store, it's the same as the one on the sams24 website:

Also, if you want to stock up on Regular Castor oil at wholesale prices:

http://wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Pr...=3977&ProductName=Crafters+Choice™+Castor+Oil

$14.75 -1 gallon (128oz) (8lbs) CHEAPEST OPTION

or
http://www.soaperschoice.com/cgi-soaperschoice/Web_store/web_store.cgi?query_price_low_range=0&cart_id=

$14 - (112oz) (7lbs)

FYI Both sites have great prices for other oils as well!

Hope this helps
NappyRina

TwistNMx

I have the regular Castor Oil (from Vitamin Shoppe), and while it is very sticky and not easily spreadable, it does make my hair increadibly soft. I do like it.
Thanks for mentioning this.
When I bought my Castor Oil last year and first started using it...I was like...:spinning: Did I get the right castor oil? It's so sticky!! And I wondered how to apply it. So far though I've been using this oil to seal my ends, and I mix it in my hair growth potion.
So thank you for the post. :yep:

TwistNMx

Here is a pic of what the Tropic Isle JBCO looks like ... so if you see it in the store, it's the same as the one on the sams24 website:

Also, if you want to stock up on Regular Castor oil at wholesale prices:

http://wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Pr...=3977&ProductName=Crafters+Choice™+Castor+Oil

$14.75 -1 gallon (128oz) (8lbs) CHEAPEST OPTION

or
http://www.soaperschoice.com/cgi-soaperschoice/Web_store/web_store.cgi?query_price_low_range=0&cart_id=

$14 - (112oz) (7lbs)

FYI Both sites have great prices for other oils as well!

Hope this helps
NappyRina
Have you ordered from wholesale supplies plus? How's the customer service and shipping turnaround?

nappity

I have used both and don't notice a difference that I can quantitatively state. I have both and use both interchangeably. I also find this in the Korean/asian produce grocers.

JerriBlank

Me luvs me castor oil:yep:
I mix it with everything! Some castor oil and chi silk infusion:lick:
Some castor oil and Joico:lick:
Some castor oil and kenra:lick:
Pre-poos,deep conditions,leave-ins,everything!!
I hear about something that's supposed to be better,and nothing really is.
Stick to the basics sometimes.

Country gal

Newbie, here.
How do you actually use the castor oil. It is so thick and sticky.

Thanx

I put my castor oil in an applicator bottle (the kind you use for applying color) I than oil my scalp with it. I also use as a hair oil.

CocoGlow

Have you ordered from wholesale supplies plus? How's the customer service and shipping turnaround?

Hey High Priestess

Yes. I have ordered from both sites several times...they are both excellent...no problems-no "lost" items, no credit card issues...typical shipping speed..HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for price & service!:yep:

NappyRina

amber815

Ok y'all have made me into a castor oil junkie!! I went and got some from the Vitamin Shoppe a few weeks ago and started sealing my ends with it......talk about soft hair!!! Thanks guys!!:grin:

DayStar

i just added a bottle of castor oil to a bottle of my conditioner. Mixed it and jumped in the shower. My hair is so soft....i have very fine strands so i cant wait for it to thicken up!

LABETT

I've been using black castor oil all my life trust me it works wonders. :yep:
I prefer the black castor over the clear one even though its heavier I can use it every other day.
I like adding it to my conditioners and leave-in,plus sealing my ends with it.