JBCO OR REGULAR (LAXATIVE) CASTOR OIL?? DIFFERENCE?

Which do you prefer/use?

• JBCO

Votes: 49 62.8%
  • LAXATIVE CASTOR OIL

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • NO DIFFERENCE

Votes: 16 20.5%

• Total voters
Jus wondering was their a difference between Jamaican Black Castor Oil and the laxative castor oil you pick up from a pharmacy (walmart/walgreens/CVS)? Does one give better results?

MizzCoco

IMO, the regular castor oil didnt soak into my scalp and new growth the same as JBCO. So I prefer JBCO, i just hate the smoky smell!

charmtreese

I also prefer JBCO. I mix mine with rosemary eo for the added hair benefits as well as making the oil smell better.

MonPetite

I was asked this on my blog. I searched around and it appears that for regrowth (things like temples, bald spots, etc.) J*B*C*O was more effective. Pharmaceutical Castor oil has equal moisturizing benefits, without the smell; however, it seemed to lack any potential "regrowth" ability. I can't say its proven scientific fact. Still, this seemed to hold up across a variety of hair boards and blogs.

It's interesting in the very least.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I "prefer" JBCO. I've never used the "Laxative" Castor Oil on my Hair, but I have used the Natural, Cold Pressed, Castor Oil.

While I was using the Natural, Cold Pressed, I thought it was "Good" UNTIL I started using JBCO.:lick:

To me, it was a drastic difference in performance and overall properties.:love:

IMO: It's a matter of 'taste' but I prefer JBCO.:love2: I think once you try it, it's Obvious..............

Lava27

I've used homeheath (?) type and JBCO. Haven't used jbco very long, but so far I really see no difference. I think hairboards have a tendency to hype up all types of specific brands (I.e. Dabur Alma oil) when other brands of the same thing work just as well. I'm still waiting for JBCO to prove me wrong, but right now its looking to me like hairboard hype, and seems just as good as regular ol castor oil.

Tene

I've used homeheath (?) type and JBCO. Haven't used jbco very long, but so far I really see no difference. I think hairboards have a tendency to hype up all types of specific brands (I.e. Dabur Alma oil) when other brands of the same thing work just as well. I'm still waiting for JBCO to prove me wrong, but right now its looking to me like hairboard hype, and seems just as good as regular ol castor oil.

I agree I've used both and I've never seen a difference besides color and smell.

Mz.MoMo5235

i've only used the kind i got from cvs (so laxative kind) and i dont like it. way too thick! i feel like every things all gunked up and what not. my lashes however love it lmao.

because of this thread i reckon i no longer want to try jbco. doesnt seem like i'll like it then. honestly i imagined it would be a thinner oil, like evoo or evco. oh, now that i say that i did forget i do like mixing it with evoo to make it easier to handle, but only a little. just enough to slightly change what evoo feels like on a reg you know

TyHill21

I just purchased the CVS brand this week also and it is really heavy (considering my hair is really fine). I think I will go a month with this and in the meantime place my order for jbco :ohwell:

Geminigirl

IMO JBCO absorbs better, and isn't as thick. It makes my natural type 4 hair super soft and supple for days. I think regular CO would just kind of sit on my hair and coat it. I notice a difference in my thickness as well as my children's almost immediately. I would braid our hair up and by next take down you can feel a difference in thickness. Where with regular CO nothing. Now, when I used reg CO I was relaxed, and not really taking care of my hair, but I still don't like the way it felt on my hair.

I love JBCO because it really keeps your hair moisturized. I can't wait to try it on my twists and braid outs, I'm sure it gives major bling. I have had my hair cornrowed almost a week and my braids are still so soft and supple just from braid spray and Castor oil. I am using Tea tree oil too but I know it's not from that.

Geminigirl

i've only used the kind i got from cvs (so laxative kind) and i dont like it. way too thick! i feel like every things all gunked up and what not. my lashes however love it lmao.

because of this thread i reckon i no longer want to try jbco. doesnt seem like i'll like it then. honestly i imagined it would be a thinner oil, like evoo or evco. oh, now that i say that i did forget i do like mixing it with evoo to make it easier to handle, but only a little. just enough to slightly change what evoo feels like on a reg you know

Just try it. It is not as thick as the store bought kind. I have used Home health brand too and it doesn't compare to JBCO. I agree with I Dare T once you try it it's obvious. Especially if you have tried the other CO and have something to compare it too.

Not a hype over here. I truly LOVE JBCO. I will always use this oil. It is forever a staple of mines, I was in love first application. I love oils and this one is perfect and inexpensive, if you can get it locally, but still last a long time.

For sealing alone it is great it really makes the hair suppple. It's just something you have to try. It might not work the same for everyone but for those of you who know what I'm talking bout >>>>>><<<<<< then you know JBCO is where it's at.

Kimiche

I don't like the regular Castor Oil, feels too thick and like it's not doing anything for me, so I stopped using it. I was thinking about trying the JBCO instead.

Lynnerie

I've only tried the regular castor oil and I did not like it. It was too thick and sticky and I felt like my hair didnt absorb it. I always wanted to try the JBCO but the shipping costs wasn't worth it to me.

Makenzie

I tried JBCO first and liked it. Then I bought the pharmacy brand. Both works the same for me, so I kept the pharmacy brand. Cheaper.

Maybe it depends on what you use it for. I pre poo with it, and use it when I wear a bun. My hair lays downs flat but is still moisturized. It doesn't get hard like with some gels.

demlew

I've tried both and the JBCO is much better than regular CO - just can't stand the smoky smell! The regular CO was good for sealing, but the JBCO was good as a pre-poo or moisturizer. I grease my scalp with it 2x week and it keeps my hair moisturized for 3-4 days at a time. I have thick 4a relaxed hair.

ingenious_mind

I've used both and I prefer JBCO. It definitely helped my hair get thicker, moisturizes well and is not as heavy as the pharmacy brand. However JBCO is too dang expensive! I went to the BSS in my neighborhood and the price went up from $7.99 to $12.99! Where do you all buy your JBCO from and for how much?

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
My JBCO looks exactly like the regular castor oil I had. I thought since it was called "black" castor oil it would at least be darker but I'm thinking I got gagged. Can't say for sure if I notice a difference in the two though.

CaramelPrincezz

I'm not sure. I've used both in the castor oil challenge. Using Jbco since the second session has begun. Not really sure if one gave better results than the other. But my hair is growing so...shrug

LABETT

I have used both JBCO and the HomeHealth brand and they work the same for me,except for the smell.
The Haitian Castor oil is another story,This suff really stinks like hell and the scent linger forever, the consistency is different from the other castor oil,and it made my hair thicker.

Tiye

JBCO is better. The "laxative" kind is ultra refined and therefore stripped of it's conditioning properties so it just feels pretty much like hair grease and sits on the hair giving it a coated and wirey feeling. The unrefined however does absorb and leaves the hair feeling silky. Haven't used the Haitian kind yet but I hear it's even less refined than the Jamaican sort so I think it would be better. To me it doesn't stink it just smells like the toasted seeds that it comes from plus I don't use a lot so it is not over powering.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
Laxative Castor Oil -- thicker than JBCO, clearer than JBCO, better scent.

JBCO -- smells like ashes, thinner than laxative Castor Oil.

I prefer: Laxative Castor Oil because it performs better and doesn't smell like ashes.

FRESHstart101

ya'see imma newbie, so right now im using Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil.
I read somewhere that it's no good and doesn't adsorb into the hair like
it should but ive been using it this week and other then the oiliness of
the product (it's my fault im EXTREMELY heavy handed lmao .. like
seriously i dump it onto my hand) i think it leaves my hair feeling pretty
good, and my hair is really soft after using it. imma go to CVS/WALGREENS
and purchase there castor oil soon to differentiate the two brands

Boujoichic

I use the Home health Castor oil havent tried JBCO but I do like the Home Health one as a pre poo treatment noticed that the my hair is softer after I use it