I Permed My Hair! - From 4a to 2c (Pics)

PureSilver

God knows how many times i've considered stretching my curl pattern through this method. I am a 4b not that i am sure but i think it would be so much easier for me to moisturize my hair with looser curls. I'm not sure if i have the guts to do it though, maybe 1 day. OP i'll be looking toward to you posts and hope you reach BSL reach soon cuz i'm watching for those pics of your flat iron

trinity8mod8

leleepop thanks, yeah I forgot thio was used in Japanese straightening too. I'm hoping the results are permanent because I don't want to do the treatment more than once a year, I used these blue perm rods:

perm rods.jpg

keepithealthy thank you

SUNSHINE BABY it is definitely a lot easier for me to moisturize my curls now. I started out using conditioner and gel, but I found out that I only really needed to use conditioner and I get super defined, shiny curls.

I'm on a vitamin reggie right now taking MSM, biotin, garlic and horsetail everyday :spinning: so I'm hoping I reach BSL soon lol

leleepop

I think the curly perm isnt as permanent since you dont flatiron it in. The hair can come back through its elasticity/memory. I think youre hair will probably tighted in the future, esp if you dont use bad heat practices. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted.

trinity8mod8

leleepop oh that makes sense now. I guess that's why Rusk anti curl says its reversible because they don't use the flat iron like in the Japanese straightening. Same chemical different techniques. And the original pH of the wave solution has something to do with how long the perm is suppose to last too. The one I got said it lasted longer than the acid perms. I'm guessing it affects the elasticity of the hair more like you mentioned.

ManeStreet

leleepop oh that makes sense now. I guess that's why Rusk anti curl says its reversible because they don't use the flat iron like in the Japanese straightening. Same chemical different techniques. And the original pH of the wave solution has something to do with how long the perm is suppose to last too. The one I got said it lasted longer than the acid perms. I'm guessing it affects the elasticity of the hair more like you mentioned.

Anti curl is a lie. Your curls do no come back & it does not wear off like a bkt does. Its definately permanent.

trinity8mod8

Anti curl is a lie. Your curls do no come back & it does not wear off like a bkt does. Its definately permanent.

ManeStreet :shocked: wow really! I can't believe that they would lie to their customers like that. I guess Naturally Curly didn't verify the results for themselves before posting that article on their site. :perplexed Most people who use their product probably don't really care about if their curls come back or not and they get away with saying anything :nono:

ManeStreet

ManeStreet :shocked: wow really! I can't believe that they would lie to their customers like that. I guess Naturally Curly didn't verify the results for themselves before posting that article on their site. :perplexed Most people who use their product probably don't really care about if their curls come back or not and they get away with saying anything :nono:

Yeah that the fact that it was not permanent was the main reason I got it in the first place. I used my research from naturally curly to make my decision. Well, no curls ever came back. But oh well. It didnt damage my hair at all so thats a plus.

trinity8mod8

ManeStreet that makes me upset because there is barely any information out there for using different chemicals on our hair type and then when we find something that might work you find out that you were lied to :sad:

LadyEuphoria007 thank you :)

Glamorous_chic yeah I think that both processes are very similar, let me know how it works out if you do

trinity8mod8

This is my hair combed with mousse, then fluffed out with my fingers:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Your hair is very pretty OP! I am biased towards natural hair, so I prefer the before photos, but it's cute this way too! :)

I thought Thio was involved in a scam many years ago with people's hair falling out...? Am I the only old head here that remembers that?

Either way, it might be a lot healthier for the hair nowadays.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Your hair is very pretty OP! I am biased towards natural hair, so I prefer the before photos, but it's cute this way too! :)

I thought Thio was involved in a scam many years ago with people's hair falling out...? Am I the only old head here that remembers that?

Either way, it might be a lot healthier for the hair nowadays.

That was Rio! I remember the commercial where they were eating the product. :-/

leleepop

I did some more research, and looked at the fotki of the girl in that article you posted. She says her hair ended up damaged because of the product, but loooking at her journey I could see her stylist was processing her from root to tip everytime. Her results where still amazing in spite of the overprocessing. So I looked up maintaining perms and its a lot of articles about roots perms. You just do the roots when it time and there's some people with tutorials on youtube who did it looping the roller and leaving the ends out or putting the hair in four section and wrapping the ends with seranwrap then rolling. I think that would be the best way to keep you hair healthy because you shouldnt have to reperm whats already permed. hth

Last edited:

Theresamonet

trinity8mod8

I love your results. Especially the fluffed out hair and the pony pic. :yep:

I am concerned about how this would turn out on a cottonier texture though. Does this chemical straighten and curl at the same time? Cause I'm imaging my hair would turn out like a poofy, flexi rod set on a blow out. :lol:

Lynnerie

Cute pics! Honestly if I didn't know that you permed your hair I would think your after was natural too. Just a looser curl pattern.

trinity8mod8

FlowerHair and wavezncurlz

Oh yeah I remember Rio too from the commercials, its a type of acid relaxer I think. Actually a product very similar to how Rio might have worked is the Curlaway Relaxer by Xenna. I tried to duplicate the Curlaway formula at home about 6 months ago, since it is all natural ingredients. I actually was doing a search for natural relaxers and came across their patent with the trials and everything. So I mixed acetic acid and lactic acid with Guar gum to make a gel and I would comb it through my hair then braid it to keep it straightish. It started to work to soften my hair, but it made it too dry so I stopped. My hair felt really dry like if it had been flat ironed too many times. Thankfully the process is reversible so it didn't cause any damage.

Acetic acid softens your hair so that you can actually have it straighter or curlier depending on how you set your hair. You have to do it multiple times at 5% or more though to start to see an affect. I'm pretty sure that is what Rio was using since they were eating it too lol. But I can see how using those kinds of relaxers would have made people's hair fall out. I wouldn't recommend using those treatments either, just based on my bad experiences. But the thio perm actually left my hair more conditioned afterwards and not dry at all.

trinity8mod8

BostonMaria thank you

leleepop OMG, I think you just made my day! I had been wondering about touch-ups without having to re-perm it all. What you described makes perfect sense. So it's called root perms, I'm about to go look up those videos now. Thank you so much! :)

kimpaur thank you

Theresamonet thanks, the thiol chemical straightens by softening the Sulfur bonds in the hair, then when you apply the neutralizer (which I think is a hydrogen peroxide solution) your hair bonds re-form around the roller and set to the new curl pattern. If you get an alkaline perm it will give you a very defined curl pattern versus the softer waves of a regular acid perm. The first day that I had the perm my hair was super defined just with conditioner. Now that is has been a couple of weeks the curls are still defined but are a little softer and not as tight. But I don't think you would need to worry about it being too fluffy lol. Running my fingers though it in those pics are the fluffiest I could get it and it still looked really defined so it doesn't frizz easily. My natural hair frizzed a lot more even with butter on it.

trinity8mod8

Kindheart and Lynnerie thank you ladies

Yeah, I really just wanted to elongate the curl more, so I'm happy that the roots loosened up. But actually on a lot of my hair in the back the curl it still type 4 on the ends just looser at the root and it blends with the other larger curls well so it looks really natural, like I just have different curl patterns, which I did even as a natural.

Theresamonet

trinity8mod8 Which did you use? Alkaline? So yours wasn't a double process where you had to first straighten the hair with the Thio solution, and then set the straight hair on rods?

trinity8mod8

Theresamonet, no I wouldn't suggest the double processing method. I had my hair already rolled on the perm rods, then added the waving (thiol) solution. After the recommended amount of time then you rinse your hair (still with the rods on) then blot dry, wait 5 minutes then apply the neutralizer. Everything is done with the rollers on so your hair takes the curl better. I saw some women taking the rods off then applying the neutralizer, but I wouldn't because it seems like that would cause more of an irregular curl pattern.

I choose the alkaline perm because the results last longer and because it penetrates your cuticle more. I don't think any hair type needs to be double processed to perm it. I saw a video with a lady with type 4 a/b hair come out with a looser type 3 pattern so I think it is possible to get good results even with very tightly coiled hair.

Theresamonet

@Theresamonet, no I wouldn't suggest the double processing method. I had my hair already rolled on the perm rods, then added the waving (thiol) solution. After the recommended amount of time then you rinse your hair (still with the rods on) then blot dry, wait 5 minutes then apply the neutralizer. Everything is done with the rollers on so your hair takes the curl better. I saw some women taking the rods off then applying the neutralizer, but I wouldn't because it seems like that would cause more of an irregular curl pattern.

I choose the alkaline perm because the results last longer and because it penetrates your cuticle more. I don't think any hair type needs to be double processed to perm it. I saw a video with a lady with type 4 a/b hair come out with a looser type 3 pattern so I think it is possible to get good results even with very tightly coiled hair.

@trinity8mod8 Can you post the video you saw? I'm not finding any info from anyone, with Afro textured hair, who didn't double process. Except those Gina curl videos; which don't impress me. :nono: It's so frustrating that there is sooo little info on this. No long term progress reports, no one has grown their hair to long lengths (mbl+), etc. Actually, your results are the best I've seen, and you just recently did it.

Last edited:

trinity8mod8

Theresamonet this is the video I saw and I like her results:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y8ya-GNaiy8

but it is one of the Gina curl vids and you said you already saw those lol. I had the same frustrations with there not being enough vids and information so that is why I decided to just do it to my hair and see if i liked it. I think the best results are on longer, virgin hair because it curls more because you still have some of your own texture. I think most of the info you will find on AA hair that has been permed their hair will be short and probably double processed because most AA women haven't learned good hair practices and won't have long hair. That is why I plan to stretch for a very long time but I still don't know what it will be like with the two different textures.

Theresamonet

@Theresamonet this is the video I saw and I like her results:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y8ya-GNaiy8

but it is one of the Gina curl vids and you said you already saw those lol. I had the same frustrations with there not being enough vids and information so that is why I decided to just do it to my hair and see if i liked it. I think the best results are on longer, virgin hair because it curls more because you still have some of your own texture. I think most of the info you will find on AA hair that has been permed their hair will be short and probably double processed because most AA women haven't learned good hair practices and won't have long hair. That is why I plan to stretch for a very long time but I still don't know what it will be like with the two different textures.

trinity8mod8 Yeah.. Her client's hair just doesn't look healthy to me. None of them. And she was bragging in one video about growing one of her clients hair "so long"; the woman was barely collar bone length. And she reprocesses the entire head for retouches. I can't get with that. You will be double processed on your next touch up, even if you didn't begin that way.

I want to see a detailed youtube video (with good lighting, and wet & dry shots) of a hip length 4a/b, who single process thio perms her hair to 3c/b...At home, and has been doing so for at least 4 years... Is that too much to ask?? :lol:

Oh, how do you plan to retouch your curl? I don't even understand how one would go able rolling their roots only.

Thanks for coming back to answer questions, btw. :sneakyhug:

trinity8mod8

trinity8mod8
I want to see a detailed youtube video (with good lighting, and wet & dry shots) of a hip length 4a/b, who single process thio perms her hair to 3c/b...At home, and has been doing so for at least 4 years... Is that too much to ask?? :lol:

Oh, how do you plan to retouch your curl? I don't even understand how one would go able rolling their roots only.

Theresamonet :lachen: omg, yeah maybe if we could convince one of the long haired ladies around here lol. I would definitely be subscribed to her channel :lol:

I haven't had time to look at the videos for root perms yet but I liked leleepop's suggestions of the method that she found where you wrap your ends in saran wrap first and then do the perm. It sounds like a good idea because my ends were the last to get processed and my roots got a little over processed. So I am guessing that if you saran wrap the ends and perm your hair for 5-10 minutes you could successful re-perm without affecting the ends.

I am planning to re-perm in a year or two with a milder perm. Honestly, I was just wanting my ends to be looser and was hoping I could blend the perm texture with my new growth. I just want my new growth to hang lower like it did when I had relaxed ends on my hair during the few months that I transitioned. I figured that with heavier curly ends my hair would be easier to wear in a wash and go more often because I didn't want to twist and bun it all the time.