I Permed My Hair! - From 4a to 2c (Pics)

Jewell

Girrrrrrllllll you gots to choose your e-battles wisely! lol lol Please don't attempt to go toe-to-toe with ManeStreet cause it will be one e-battle that you will seriously lose. She has the best head of hair I have seen on this board and I can't say the same for other folks who love to criticize everybody else's hair or for the ones who love to encourage folks to cut their hair just cause they scalped their own. I mean well so don't come for me either.

Besides the OP ain't studying y'all. Why y'all bump this thread anyway? Jesus take the wheel.

Huh? Best head of hair on this board? How can you possibly say that when there are over 100,000 members? I'm just saying...have you seen each and every person's hair? Not only that, many pics posted on this board are months and sometimes, years old. Exaggerate much? :lol:

OP I think your hair was gorgeous in the natural state. And it is pretty in the relaxed state. I hope you continue to have success in your HHJ! :) I'm sorry that the perm damaged your hair. I totally understand what you mean by protective styles not lasting long. When I was natural, mine did not last as long as I thought they would either. Deep condition and really nurture your hair.

Maybe it was the type of relaxer you used, and not just the fact that you relaxed it. For example, calcium hydroxide can be especially drying to the hair. I tried it once and regretted it. I stick to lye personally, but each woman has to do what is best for her hair and lifestyle, of course! Box relaxers are the main culprits for many Black women having dry, terribly thin, broken off, severely damaged relaxed hair. They did severe damage to my hair as a child (dried it out and caused marked breakage) and I have never allowed them into my life again, lol.

Last edited:

LadyPBC

Dang - wish I could see the pictures. I was thinking about getting a perm but one of my potential stylists said 'no comment' when I asked about it. When I asked why she never responded. Not sure if she doesn't know enough about it, doesn't like the idea, hated the jheri curls or what!

PatTodd

No tea no shade, but I have 4a hair and I would consider this a very bad idea for my hair. It's basically the same effect as getting a relaxer and when my tight curls grew back in, I would be wearing a "hair hat" until I cut the permed ends off. @LadyPBC, This is probably why your stylist said, "no comment".

LadyPBC

@PatTodd - funny the stylist I was referring to has the same last name! But whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy can't there be some magical product/process out there that would make dealing with my kinky coily curly hair a breeze? Thank you for responding!

PatTodd

@PatTodd - funny the stylist I was referring to has the same last name! But whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy can't there be some magical product/process out there that would make dealing with my kinky coily curly hair a breeze? Thank you for responding!

Not to hijack the thread but I know the struggle is real....but it's all technique with this texture. Here's what worked for me:

- I stopped using gel (for me, gel/glycerin = dryness and shrinkage)

- I stopped combing my hair for the most part (because I was combing my curls OUT, thus creating frizz, especially at the root) and started using fingers only for styling and detangling, using the praying hands method: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlr...ands-method-for-smooth-curls-with-less-frizz/

- I got my hair cut at the Deva Salon (a special dry cutting method which brought my curls to life) and started using Devacurl products exclusively, OneCondition to co-wash and Heaven in Hair to style.

- And finally, I started sealing my hair with good old fashioned grease again. I use Dax and the waxiness, for my hair, is bomb.

And my hair is super defined and healthy with zero frizz.

Hope this helps.

LadyPBC

@PatTodd - that process seems simple. MHM has us using botanical gels and only finger detangling. I know I need a hair cut but I'm timid. I'd love to see pictures of your cut and the style results using the simplified process. Thanks @PatTodd - I appreciate the suggestions/advice!

GGsKin

Dang - wish I could see the pictures. I was thinking about getting a perm but one of my potential stylists said 'no comment' when I asked about it. When I asked why she never responded. Not sure if she doesn't know enough about it, doesn't like the idea, hated the jheri curls or what!

OP updated with pics on page 6.

greenandchic

I've been following your posts about your hair and my advice is to keep trying. I had a difficult time with my natural hair and decided to texlax (after a lifetime of being natural). I had so many tangles and could never wear WnG, only stretched styles.

With that said, sometimes a trim and new products/methods is all you need.

LadyPBC

thanks @AbsyBlvd - I'll take a look. I didn't read through all the posts.

@greenandchic - I want to believe that is more complicated after all these years of trying but it may be just that simple. I hope it is. Ihave so many products I'm thinking I have tried almost everything. To be fair - there are times I think - eureka I've got it but I don't remember how I got to that place and I'm not there for very long. I would love to remain chemical free. I will definitely get a trim (maybe a shape up for summer) and try some of the suggestions @PatTodd mentioned. You, @AbsyBlvd, and @PatTodd all have beautiful hair by the way.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
thanks @AbsyBlvd - I'll take a look. I didn't read through all the posts.

@greenandchic - I want to believe that is more complicated after all these years of trying but it may be just that simple. I hope it is. Ihave so many products I'm thinking I have tried almost everything. To be fair - there are times I think - eureka I've got it but I don't remember how I got to that place and I'm not there for very long. I would love to remain chemical free. I will definitely get a trim (maybe a shape up for summer) and try some of the suggestions @PatTodd mentioned. You, @AbsyBlvd, and @PatTodd all have beautiful hair by the way.

Have you considered hair analysis? I wouldn't suggest it for everyone, but if you feel like you've tried it all with no success it could be a game changer for you. It was for me. In the long run, it's cheaper than product experimentation.

leleepop

I thought I'd post this in here because I've had good experience with this, and her waiting a over a year to get another is a good idea when getting these.

leleepop

lol it is very subtle, these are the details about my personal experience with this in 2012. I had/have fine 4a healthy armpit length natural hair and highlights when i did it. Doing curly girl method. It was like being texlaxed and i wore my hair straight the whole summer that year. I loved it. It kinda makes ur hair pliable and it didnt take much heat to flatiron.

I used ISO option 2 perm for any kind of color treated/processed hair, the gentlist 1. I'm back natural and loving my natural hair now, but if I ever process my hair again I would do this again. I'm glad I tried it, I just had to do the protein treatments(Redken extreme CAT) and a blunt trim in the beginning, but it got back balanced pretty quickly/easily. I used big inch sized rods for mine. I loved it. I also would stretch this to over a year or so, absolutely no every 3 month treatment. I didnt air perm mine either I just thougth that was interesting so I posted it in here. It's like a jerry curl without that 1st unessesary straightening process and drip drip. you just roll, apply,process then neutralize no heat.

Last edited: