I Permed My Hair! - From 4a to 2c (Pics)

Renewed1

I like your hair dry. I would think anytime you would want it a little more wavier or curlier you can use curling products.

Good job.

BostonMaria

Oh wow! I thought it was a texlax when I first saw the pictures. Your before pics look beautiful too.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Personally I prefer the before pics, but I am glad u got the results you wanted. You did an excellent job.

Keep us posted on how your hair does. ;)

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
Whoa, it really loosened up you curlies, but that's what you wanted right? I didn't know we could use those type of perms on our hair either...learn something new everyday. Looks cute on you and I liked your tighter curls too.

bellebebe

So when it's time for a touch up, do you only touch up the roots? I'm curious.

Sent from my sexy phone.

trinity8mod8

havilland thanks, I wouldn't have minded keeping my hair natural except that to keep my hair looking like it did in the photos I would have to wet and apply products everyday, because I couldn't get second day hair and it was really time consuming. Either that or I'd have to keep it in twists for a while, but I really wanted my hair loose.

grownwomanaz thanks yeah it did, but I am realizing that I over processed my roots some because they are not as wavy, but otherwise the curls came out really good

bellebebe I'm going to wait at least a year for a touch up, but I from what I've seen when you touch up you do the process over again with a milder perm. The mildest perm that I saw had a pH of 6.7

Allandra thank you

Last edited:

trinity8mod8

This is how it looks after I slept on it on a satin pillow case and just spritzed it with a little water when I got up:

It's still really curly with just a little frizz

Last edited:

BraunSugar

This is how it looks after I slept on it on a satin pillow case and just spritzed it with a little water when I got up:

It's still really curly with just a little frizz

Your curls look a little tighter today. I bet you could get away with using only condish to style if you wanted to.

trinity8mod8

Is it completely permanent? Don't curly perms wear off after awhile?

I've heard that the curls loosen over time, and it really does depend alot on which brand of perm you buy and what the pH is...more alkaline means a longer lasting curl. The perm that I bought had a lot of reviewers which said that their curls lasted even as the hair was growing out and they would just retouch the roots. But I'm hoping that as my hair grows out the two textures will blend and I won't have to re-perm. But I'm just experimenting I'm not sure how it will turn out :)

I wish there was more information about perms on highly textured hair.

trinity8mod8

Your curls look a little tighter today. I bet you could get away with using only condish to style if you wanted to.

Yeah after I rinsed out the deep treatment yesterday, I only applied conditioner on the ends and eco-styler on the roots, but I may just try conditioner only too. The curl pattern does seem tighter than the first day. I guess that's good because I think that it might start to loosen over the next few months.

Last edited:

greenandchic

trinity8mod8 I definitely like the second day hair. I'm very curious about the long-term result, especially when your hair grows out and you have two different textures. Please keep us posted.

trinity8mod8

Curly1908, greenandchic, beauti and FemmeCreole

thanks ladies for the comments, encouragement and support. The pictures really don't show how my hair looks IRL. My hair is very shiny, bouncy, it looks just as thick, has a lot of movement and is very curly. Maybe I should make a video to show how it really looks. It turned out into being more of a 3a/3b rather than 2c on the first day after the treatment.

I've been using deep conditioner and oil to try to help set the curl better for the first couple of days, but it really has turned out beautiful, I wish it looked the same in the pictures. I will keep you all updated though.

Last edited:

EbonyCPrincess

You are so right there isn't a lot of information for this...I was drooling over your before pics. And I also really like your "after" as well! I see what you mean about the roots, but for your first time AND it being DIY I think it looks pretty dern awesome!

trinity8mod8

EbonyCPrincess thanks, yeah I over processed the roots. Because of the rollers when you apply the wave lotion it has to soak into the hair and the ends are rolled more inside so the roots got processed a lot more. And then to make it worse I left it on for 25 minutes instead of 10 minutes :rolleyes: But I definitely will use a milder perm next time that processes without the dryer and I will leave it on for less time. And also after the first day the roots started to look better and I know that once my actual texture starts to grow out my roots will be pretty wavy

sylver2 thank you, my natural texture looks looser when it's not fully dry and it is still damp in the before pics

I hope posting my first experiences with perms will help other naturals who might want more options or are thinking about cutting their hair. I definitely will make a list of dos and don'ts after dealing with my hair like this for the next few months :look:

kimpaur

Wow, this is awesome!Thanks for posting this, it opened my eyes to even more possibilities with our hair. Gorgeous!Keep up updated!

acapnleo

With a curly perm, I believe you are supposed to not wash 48-72 hours. I could be wrong. I did this with my hair about 3-4 years ago with Quantum.

I liked it because it offered diversity with curly and straight styles.

Enjoy :)

trinity8mod8

With a curly perm, I believe you are supposed to not wash 48-72 hours. I could be wrong. I did this with my hair about 3-4 years ago with Quantum.

I liked it because it offered diversity with curly and straight styles.

Enjoy :)

Thanks, I definitely enjoy the look and ease of it right now. I got the Tressa brand of perm because on the website it says "Tressa's Patented Triple Bonding Neutralizer allows you to Curl today. Color Today. Shampoo today." Also they have a chart comparing their different perms and it actually gives the pH of the treatment, which is what I was worried about and I couldn't find that info for other brands of perms. But I haven't shampooed my hair yet, I've just been co-washing.

Last edited:

DaiseeDay

Your hair is very pretty period.

I'm wondering how your hair feels. Is it silkier or does it feel coarser to the touch? Does it feel brittle at all and how's the elasticity?

I just have a lot of questions about how it feels because I really hated how my hair felt when I had a relaxer.

They're starting to market these in higher end salons again, but they call them something else.

trinity8mod8

DaiseeDay Aww thanks :)

Umm my hair feels really soft, it feels softer after I've slept on it because using conditioner makes it really defined and slightly crunchy. But if I scrunch it or sleep on it it feels very soft not dry or brittle or anything like that. It doesn't really feel silky unless I wet it completely in the shower, it gets pretty straight then and silky feeling. It may be a little more elastic, I'm not completely sure, but because I know it has just been processed I comb it out gently anyway.