I Permed My Hair! - From 4a to 2c (Pics)

candycan

Are those pics of your hair dry or wet. It looks wet cuz your roots are straight. Looks flat. But i love the curls! anxious to try this process!

trinity8mod8

candycan on the pics on this page my hair was dry. I leave in a keratin conditioner which makes my hair softer and the roots straighter. But yeah it does make the roots look flatter too.

Moustacy when I was natural my hair had three different curl patterns. 3c in the front and nape. 4b at the crown and 4a everywhere else. I could tell by the curl size and how difficult it was to detangle each section.

When it was wet it looked like all one curl pattern, but when it dried the back and sides would shrink more than the front. It looked like a mess until about a year and a half after my BC, then the curl patterns matched better lol

Amarilles

=o So this was using a curly perm, not a relaxer? Very pretty!

By the way could the straight roots be due to product application? I sub to all hair types on YT and I've noticed the type 2 girls tend to apply their products with their heads upside down (roots not touching the head) because this is a common issue for them. Usually while bent over.

This ain't for me but it looks lovely! Congrats!

trinity8mod8

Amarilles thanks. I noticed that type 2 women brush or comb product through their hair upside down too. I tried that when the perm was fresh and it worked somewhat but still made my hair tangle. Now that it has been almost two months my roots are growing out and I actually need to apply product to lay the roots down so that my new growth blends in and doesn't get poofy.

Last edited:

trinity8mod8

DarkJoy yeah my tight curly roots do make it look fuller, if only they blended in without product lol

No I don't have any recent pics of my hair right now dried in the curly state because I have been experimenting with braid and twist outs. I'm under the drier right now doing a HOT, so maybe today or tomorrow I can just let my hair air dry, take pics and do a LC.

Last edited:

trinity8mod8

Update (air dried hair):

P3316387.jpg

P3316388.jpg

P3316389.jpg

P3316390.jpg

P3316393.jpg

The curls have gotten a little looser. I cut .5" in February and have been wearing my hair out a lot so I haven't retained much growth.

trinity8mod8

greenandchic Just realized that I haven't logged into the forum in a while. I last updated in the BSL thread that I was transitioning back to natural, but later on I decided to BC again because I just didn't want to have to deal with my hair for a while.

The perm hair became like really dry and oily at the roots a lot of the time and I had to flat twist it to make it look decent, so I just figured that I might as well go back to natural and do twist-outs again LOL.

For the first couple of months the perm was nice but then it became too difficult to deal with and it wouldn't stay in protective styles and look nice like my natural hair did.

So yeah right now my hair is like 2 inches long, but I don't have any pics of it because I've been really busy for this past month, but I will post some pics when I get a chance of the new length.

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
greenandchic Just realized that I haven't logged into the forum in a while. I last updated in the BSL thread that I was transitioning back to natural, but later on I decided to BC again because I just didn't want to have to deal with my hair for a while.

The perm hair became like really dry and oily at the roots a lot of the time and I had to flat twist it to make it look decent, so I just figured that I might as well go back to natural and do twist-outs again LOL.

For the first couple of months the perm was nice but then it became too difficult to deal with and it wouldn't stay in protective styles and look nice like my natural hair did.

So yeah right now my hair is like 2 inches long, but I don't have any pics of it because I've been really busy for this past month, but I will post some pics when I get a chance of the new length.

Thanks for coming back to update.

Question-- why wouldn't your hair stay in protective styles? And do you feel the perm damaged your hair?

Tia

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I can't wait to see your pics. Quite honestly, I thought your natural hair was absolutely gorgeous!! :drool:

I hope you're happy with it. Send those pics when you can.

trinity8mod8

havilland if I let my hair air dry I would end up with nice curls but by the next day it would become really dry and the curls wouldn't last, even though they were looser. So I started to put my hair into protective styles like flat twists and buns. And the curls were too loose for my hair to stay twisted by itself so I would add elastics to the ends to keep it from coming untwisted, but somehow my hair would manage to still work its way out of the twist, especially after I'd put my hair in a bun or ponytail. I would end up having to redo the protective style every 2 days for it to still look nice and I didn't like restyling my hair that often.

I didn't have that problem as a natural I guess because the curls were tight enough to stay in the style for a good week at least. I know some women on the forum with type 3 hair say that their hair doesn't last long in protective styles and I think I know what they mean now. Because it seemed pointless to be retwisting my hair every couple of days when the point of the perm was to have easier hair to deal with. And if I left it loose in a bun, without twisting it the next day it would look like a bird's nest LOL.

So yeah I know the perm damaged my hair, like most chemical processes, but I wasn't expecting it to be so dry because when I first did the perm the curls were bouncy and moisturized, and I used the same products so I know now that the effects of the treatment wears off after a while and I had no intention to keep reperming my hair every couple of months because I know that would have damaged it more and left me with short dry hair.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
trinity8mod8

i appreciate you checking back in because i was seriously considering doing this to my hair as some point. so thank you for coming back and answering all my questions! i am sooooooooooo sorry the perm damaged your hair. :(

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
This reminded me of the time I used the texture softener. The protective styles would not stay in. Your hair will be back the way you had it in no time.:yep

CaraWalker

the after hair was wack tbh idk why she preferred it, i guess just because it was looser. it looked unnatural and weird.

Leeda.the.Paladin

OP it was interesting to see your journey. THanks for sharing it because I know it will be of help to someone. I think your hair is beautiful and I'm sure you will be back to your former length in no time.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
ManeStreet find em if you want em. there are pics around here from time to time. im going to give my opinion just like everyone else if you dont like it oh well :yep: any other questions, comments or concerns? oh, ok, thanks :wave:

Girrrrrrllllll you gots to choose your e-battles wisely! lol lol Please don't attempt to go toe-to-toe with ManeStreet cause it will be one e-battle that you will seriously lose. She has the best head of hair I have seen on this board and I can't say the same for other folks who love to criticize everybody else's hair or for the ones who love to encourage folks to cut their hair just cause they scalped their own. I mean well so don't come for me either.

Besides the OP ain't studying y'all. Why y'all bump this thread anyway? Jesus take the wheel.

Last edited:

CaraWalker

Girrrrrrllllll you gots to choose your e-battles wisely! lol lol Please don't attempt to go toe-to-toe with ManeStreet cause it will be one e-battle that you will seriously lose. She has the best head of hair I have seen on this board and I can't say the same for other folks who love to criticize everybody else's hair or for the ones who love to encourage folks to cut their hair just cause they scalped their own. I mean well so don't come for me either. Besides the OP ain't studying y'all. Why y'all bump this thread anyway? Jesus take the wheel.

i have no clue who that poster is and i really could not care less :lol: thanks for the tip though :lol: