How much moisturizer do you use?

vtoodler

When you are moisturizing your hair, how much moisturizer do you usually use?

Would you say that it's about the size of a nickel, quarter, golf ball or half a golf ball?

Also, how much oil (sealant) do you use?

MarcustheWu

Depends on the product. I spilt my hair down the middle and I use anywhere from a dime sized to half dollar amount on each side.

Urban

I've never really noticed. I think I just put on as much as I need to make my hair feel moisturized.

I think it ends up being about 2 pumps of scurl onto my palm, for each half of my head.

Curlykale

until my hair feels slippery, coated and smoothed down. (i use conditioner). so it depends on the weather, day and product. a lot of conditioner, a bit of oil.

thecurlycamshow

I use a lot of moisturizer. I don't even know the actual amount. I use it until my hair feels coated. I use a dime size amount of oil.

Jewell

I use a lot of moisturizers/butters and oils on my hair. I apply probably 4-5 diff products, using about a quarter to 1/2 dollar-sized amount on each section of my hair--sometimes I split it down the middle and just slather both sides going from product to product, lol...my hair is very thick and I like to make sure it is coated and sealed mid-shaft to ends. My hair also sucks up lots of moisture...not really porous but it just loves oil and butters. :drunk:

I also oil my scalp with a light invigorating/tingling oil mix...so I needn't moisturize or seal the roots since that applied oil spreads from the scalp easily. I'm very conscientious of taking care of the mid-shaft to ends areas...I seal with a heavy pomade or after all my moisturizers and oils are applied.

Last edited:

CrueltyFree

I use a lot of moisturizers. Qhemet's Amla and Olive Heavy Cream is like my favorite "base" moisturizer that I use on the day I wash/condition my hair to twist my hair up. To me, a base moisturizer sets the precedent on how your hair behaves throughout the rest of the week or however long you wait till you restyle your hair.

I apply maybe like a third of my fingertip amount to each twist that I do in my hair. I can't apply moisturizer on my whole head when my hair is loose at once, I prefer to do little sections at a time because it ensures I'm not wasting product and my hair strands are moisturized effectively from root to tip. After I'm done twisting my whole head, I apply a little more moisturizer and then seal. I don't need to seal section by section because my hair is already pretty sectioned so I put the oil in my palm, emulsify to coat my hands, and work it in my hair that way.

On a daily basis, I use one of my Qhemet or my other moisturizers I have on hand and seal. I don't have to do it as meticulously as I did when my hair was freshly washed and conditioned because my hair is already sectioned and applying products to twists is much easier, and more effective, than applying to loose hair. I really like the Oyin Hair Dew for daily moisturizing because its like a hair milk and it's convenient and very moisturizing. I don't like it as much on freshly washed hair. For daily moisturizing I'll use a few quarter sized amounts. I'm pretty generous with product, but I'm easy on the oil.

If I'm keeping twists in for longer than a week and I don't redo them (usually for mini twists), I do the same thing I'd do on a daily basis but I may use extra moisturizer just to make sure my hair is good. I don't retwist my hair either. I'll wash and deep condition as normal, apply leave in, then moisturize and then seal.