How I got 2 inches of growth in one month...

Well it has been one month since I made the effort to watch my protein. I can say that I did not get two inches like Jazzangel but I did get a bit over one inch. Not much more over an inch but still I got an inch which is not the ususal case for me.

any body else?

Teva thank you for your update, this is really encouraging...no update for me...just wanted to say thanks!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Teva said:
Well it has been one month since I made the effort to watch my protein. I can say that I did not get two inches like Jazzangel but I did get a bit over one inch. Not much more over an inch but still I got an inch which is not the ususal case for me.

any body else?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great!! One inch is still impressive. Furthermore, you are just building the protein up in your system..maybe next month you'll reach 2 inches.

I can't tell, but my boyfriend commented yesterday that my hair is growing. For this next month I will be more diligent in eating my eggs and fish.

Tebby

Well here is an biological explanation of protein:

A three-dimensional biological polymer constructed from a set of 20 different monomers called amino acids.

The 20 Amino Acids of Proteins:
Glycine
Alanine
Valine
Leucine
Isoleucine
Methionine
Phenylalanine
Tryptophan
Proline
Serine
Theronine
Cysteine
Tyrosine
Asparagine
Glutamine
Aspartic Acid
Glutamic Acid
Lysine
Arginine
Histidine

So I'm assuming, if hair is basically composed of water and protein, a diet high in protein and water would yield exceptionable results.

However, be careful ladies, I believe too much protein in ones diet can pose serious health hazards.

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
I am curious to know if the same results could be obtained without the egg yolk. If one of you guys does this without the yolk, keep us informed of your results. Thanks
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't always get 2 inches it's usually 1-1.5 but 1 time for sure.
Yes, I eat egg whites for breakfast with some fruit and sometimes cheese, or a protein bananna shake (I just add the protein powder to the bannas w/soy milk). Soy milk is an excellent source of proteins and vitamins. I'm still getting good growth and I still take my vitamins. Also I drink water like a fish(2L/day).
lick.gif

hth

[ QUOTE ]
AmilLion said:
How, be careful ladies, I believe too much protein in ones diet can pose serious health hazards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ami,

Do you have any idea what the health hazards might be?

[ QUOTE ]
Tebby1017 said:
I'm thinking maybe kidney stones....

Tebby

[/ QUOTE ] There's been no scientific proof of kidney damage as a result of protein overload. (Yet) I would suggest those of you who are worried to consult your physician.

I've been slacking in the protein and supplement department.
ohwell.gif
Thanks for bumping. Gonna go buy some salmon and eggs tonight.

I had a protein shake and 2 eggs for breakfast and salmon for lunch...I'm going to really bump up the protein and l-cysteine consumption this month.

Tebby

I wanted to join you ladies also for the next coming month. I bought protein powder to supplement my diet, (doing the fruit thing this month). I don't really know how successful that's going to be because I'm not really getting any other source of protein other than the shake. I have started L Cysteine and I may add another protein shake earlier in the day, (for a total of about 100 grams of protein a day). I could add some nuts or seeds also. I'm not aiming for two inches a month. I just want anything over 1/2 of an inch just to push me over shoulder length sooner. Then I'll be set.

I just realized, diet sodas contain the amino acid phenylalanine.

This is what i found regarding too much protein. I'll speak with my professor tomorrow evening and post her remarks regarding too much protein in the diet.

So far, this is what I was able to locate:

Kidney Disease: When people eat too much protein, they take in more nitrogen than they need. This places a strain on the kidneys which must expel the extra nitrogen through urine. People with kidney disease are encouraged to eat low-protein diets.(2) Such a diet reduces the excess levels of nitrogen, and can help prevent kidney disease, too.

Cancer: Although fat is the dietary substance most often singled out for increasing one’s risk for cancer, protein also plays a role. Populations that eat meat regularly are at an increased risk for colon cancer,(3) and researchers believe that the fat, protein, natural carcinogens, and the absence of fiber in meat all play roles. In 1982, the National Research Council noted a link between cancer and protein.(4)

Osteoporosis and Kidney Stones: Diets that are rich in protein, especially animal protein,(5) are known to cause people to excrete more calcium than normal through their urine(6) and increase the risk of osteoporosis. Countries with lower-protein diets have lower rates of osteoporosis and hip fractures.(7)

Increased calcium excretion increases risk for kidney stones. Researchers in England found that by adding about 5 ounces of fish (about 34 grams of protein) to a normal diet, the risk of forming urinary tract stones increased by as much as 250 percent.(8)

References
2. El Nahas AM, Coles GA. Dietary treatment of chronic renal failure: ten unanswered questions. Lancet 15 March 1986:597-600.

3. Pellet PL. Protein requirements in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 1990;51:723-37.

4. Committee on Diet, Nutrition, and Cancer of the National Research Council. Diet, Nutrition, and Cancer. Washington, DC, 1982.

5. Zemel MB. Calcium utilization: effect of varying level and source of dietary protein. Am J Clin Nutr 1988;48:880-3.

6. Sherman HC. Calcium requirement in man. J Biol Chem 1920;44:21.

7. Hegsted DM. Calcium and osteoporosis. J Nutr 1986;116:2316-9.

8. Robertson WG, Heyburn PJ, Peacock M, Hanes FA, Swaminathan R. The effect of high animal protein intake on the risk of calcium stone-formation in the urinary tract. Clin Sci 1979;57:285-8.

Most studies that I have read simply discourage the overconsumption of animal meat in correlation to cancer and kidney and liver disorders. Perhaps if one cuts their meat and fish consumption down and just ups the eggs, nuts and beans, it would spare them. No one has ever gotten sick eating too many beans.
wink.gif

Okay here's what I found about "Whey Protein" - which is what I consume daily - in non-dairy fruit smoothies
Whey Protein Side Effects - Whey Protein Information
What Are Some Whey Protein Side Effects?
Whey protein, are just that, protein - unlike some other types of supplements and drugs, whey protein supplements contain mostly whey and some other stuff like carbohydrates, calcium, some fats, and some fancy shimancy ingredients which really aren't that special. So in other words, you can expect very little, if any side effects of taking whey protein supplements. Other than maybe gaining some lean mass, which is what you want. Also, there have been no documented side effects of whey protein, it's just like the food you eat, causing no side effects.

>

Even though whey protein is no doubt the best protein you can get, you shouldn't take too much of it. Too much of a good thing can be harmful. Extremely high consumption of whey protein could overload your liver and cause some serious damages. You do know that your liver is the second most important organ after your heart, right?

Note: if you're lactose intolerant, whey protein isolate maybe better for you. Whey protein concentrate contains 5-6% lactose, while Whey protein isolate contains less than 1% lactose. Both levels are very low, and should be easily tolerated by most.

How Much Whey Protein Should You Take, and What Are Some Benefits of Whey Protein?
Depending on what your goals are, your protein intake will differ from everyone else. Bodybuilders normally consume 150 grams or more a day. This depends on your body weight. In general, it's recommended that you take about 1 gram of protein(or a little less) per pound of body weight. For a 150lb bodybuilder, that's around 150 grams of protein, or a little less. Again, you don't want to over do it, and overload your liver and kidneys.

Some benefits of whey protein include:

Helps to increase lean muscle mass (more easily absorbed)
It is also useful for weight loss, specifically fat loss
It enhances immune function by increasing glutathione levels.
Whey protein helps prevent cancer
It may help T-cell activity and decrease wasting tissues during illness and increase well-being and the speed of overall recovery.

New Studies and Interesting Whey Protein Information
A study by Ball State University showed that taking 0.88 grams of whey protein per pound of body weight resulted in increased prevention of overtraining.

Whey protein was shown effective in prevention of breast cancer, and was found to inhibit the growth of breast cancer cells in a test tube. Arkansas Children's Research Institute found it to be twice as effective than soy protein.

This isn't news, but whey protein is beneficial for your immune system.

[ QUOTE ]
AmilLion said:
Well here is an biological explanation of protein:

A three-dimensional biological polymer constructed from a set of 20 different monomers called amino acids.

The 20 Amino Acids of Proteins:
Glycine
Alanine
Valine
Leucine
Isoleucine
Methionine
Phenylalanine
Tryptophan
Proline
Serine
Theronine
Cysteine
Tyrosine
Asparagine
Glutamine
Aspartic Acid
Glutamic Acid
Lysine
Arginine
Histidine

So I'm assuming, if hair is basically composed of water and protein, a diet high in protein and water would yield exceptionable results.

However, be careful ladies, I believe too much protein in ones diet can pose serious health hazards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good.

Hair is actually only protein. It is essentially a waste product.

Number one, protein is in the macromolecule family which also includes you carbs and your fats. Unlike carbs and fats that breakdown into their subunits in your system, protein is not broken down. Whatever is not used is either "seemed" through you skin (hair and nails) or simply passed through you kidneys (or liver....I forgot which one). This is where the health problem lies. Too much left-over protein, just like any other waste product, backs up those kidneys (or liver...still forgetting).

As a suggestion, don't eat too much animal protein because, aside from the obvious reasons of much more fat, I think they may have other waste products along with what may be used as left-over protein that could add to an even more strenuous job for the kidney (lol...or liver).

With all that being said................

just drink more water
laugh.gif

(That's what everyone says when you have a health problem right? Well, it's actually true. Alot of our health problems have to do w/ something being "caught" in our system or when something is still in our system for too long. Water "cleans" our pipes/organs. The more you drink, the more you'll push out of your system. Wow...God's amazing machine...human engineers have nothing!)

MYTH: Too much protein is bad for your kidneys:

Too many people believe this untruth simply because it has been repeated so often that even intelligent health professionals assume it must have been reported somewhere. But the fact is that it has never been reported anywhere. No one has as yet produced a study for review, or even cite a specific case in which a diet high in protein causes any form of kidney disorder. The only remotely related phenomenon is the fact that when someone is already suffering from far-advanced kidney disease, it is difficult for that person’s body to handle protein. But protein has nothing to do with the cause of the kidney problem.

Of course it's always best to consult a health professional that you trust.

That myth comes from the notion that people with bad kidneys are often put on low protein diets. Like I said, it's animal protein that you have to watch out for.

Well, I am from Brazil and there we have a very high protein diet. Every meal (lunch and dinner) we have beans, rice and meat, plus complements like salads and vegetables. We always eat lots of fruits and natural juices. We also eat a kind of fresh cheese pretty often ( similar with queso fresco from Mexican stores),and fresh mozzarela. We do not eat all those kinds of hard cheeses which are way too processed.
Maybe that's why I used to have no problem with my hair while I was leaving there. Also I had never had any problem with weight as happened when I moved to US and started to have an american diet with way too much bread, sodas, salad dressings, and so on.
I gainned 10 pounds in 1 year. Once I started to have all my meals at home, in a brazilian style. I am back in shape. My hair is growing fast and I feel much better. I do not eat only protein, but a more balance diet.
And yes, you can elevate your cholesterol eating too much eggs.
bath.gif

Hello Tchutchuca, welcome.

Now I have to ask you about all the things they do in Brazil. Do they have any unsual hair processes? Like I heard about the natural relaxers from Brazil can you share that?

Start a new thread if you can.

bouncy.gif

I don't know if it is a myth or not. The information I obtained was from my textbook, Biology Sixth Edition, by Campbell and Reece. There are many forms of protein and it is very possible that high consumption could lead to health problems.

Examples of protein functions:

Structural protein - keratin is the protein of hair, horns, feathers, and other skin appendages.
Storage protein - found in egg white and plants
Transport protein - found in blood to transport oxygen and molecules
Hormonal protein - aka steroids/cholesterol (side note: cholesterol is a crucial molecule in animals, although a high level of it in the blood may contribute to atherosclerosis.
Receptor protein - detect chemical signals from nerves
Contractile protein - movement of muscles
Defensive protein - antibodies (too much or too little is harmful....too many lymphocytes could mean Lupus aka autoimmune disorders, low lymphocyte count could mean HIV infection....immune system is now vulnerable)
Enzymatic protein - digestive enzymes

So assuming a high intake of cholesterol (a hormonal protein) may cause health problems as an example, IMO, I think there is room for the possibility that the high intake of structural protein could cause health conditions as well. What kind? me dunno, i'm not a scientist or dr lol.

Also, I believe that protein is hydrophobic, rather than hydrophilic....will not excrete

Hi Teva.

We have some different ways to get our hair straight. My mother use to put a product called Hene, I have no idea about the ingredients because I just started reading labels last month. But it is a kind of black paste that you cook over the stove and apply warm on your hair and let it sit for some time. The result is a very dark black hair and straight. All my aunts used, I did not because I was young and my mom kept my hair natural. It still popular in Rio de Janeiro.
I tried a few things without success, so I use to press my hair most of the time. We use marcel, the kind of iron that goes on top of stove, and vegetable oil. My hair was nice.
Most of the things that we use are natural. Like aloe vera, we use to have the plant in our backyard, so we opened the leaf and removed the pulp to mix with a conditioner and apply as deep treatment.
Mayonnaise, yogurt, avocado, banana, vegetable oil, olive oil, liquid vitamin A (arovit) was our beauty supply products. All these because was cheaper than by brand products. But there, is easy to buy herbs, oils, anywhere. They sell herbs on the street. Here I have no idea where to find them. And the prices way better, for example with $1.00 you can buy like 6 huge avocados, not tinny like here.
I have some conditioners that I brought last year and some vitamins as well, but the weather here is different, the water is different, my diet is different so maybe that's why they do not respond as well as there.
I miss there so much because I did not have to really take care of my hair, but here in US I am suffering.
antlers.gif

Well, from what someone on the board told me, there are smooth avacados - when you feel them there is no texture and there are avacados with bumb/lumbs/knots The "bumby" ones are dark green and feel like you are running your fingers over rocks.- you feel lumps or bumps or texture to them - they described that the bumpy ones (the ones with texture) are not good for the hair... does that help?

Definetely
wink.gif

I used the smooth one in my country. I have never tried the ones here in America exctly because of these lumbs and knots. And plus the smooth one have more oils.

Hi all--I'm a newbie. I came over from NC.com, and we who relax/blowdry/iron our hair are not well received there! I feel like I have found a new place to hang out. I have nothing against curly hair, but my hair is not at the point where it can be worn curly/natural. I LOVE what this site is about because my hair has not grown appreciably since I was 11--26 years ago.

I relax my hair quite often--every 3 weeks--and blowdry and flat iron every day--I have to. I also have baby fine 3C hair. So, as you can imagine, I have mad breakage. Can someone help me get started on trying to grow my hair longer and more even (besides stopping the daily relaxing/blowdrying/flat ironing)? It is about shoulder length right now, but is 2 million different lengths due to breakage. I can't use anything with oil--not even a drop--or cones in it, as these products cause my hair to be limp, dull, and sticky.

Thanks in advance!

I used to blend half avocado with a little vegetable oil,vitam A, conditioner. Apply to my hair, put a plastic bag and leave for few hours. Wash, condition and done.
My hair felt really soft.

Back