High Protein Diet = 2 Inches in 1 Month

MonaRae

Who would like to join me for this challenge?

I am basing this information off of this thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=11429 and I would like to see if it will really work.

This thread was started by JazzAngel back in 2003. Here is a sample of what she ate:

Dejuan42, I am taking Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein. It's a 5lb container from The Vitamin store. One serving is 22grams. I usually have 2 servings.

The first time when I begain monitoring my hair growth about 1 1/2 year ago. I started with a liquid protein and everyone was shocked to see how fast my hair grew. When I sit down I think of my diet then I realize that I was also on a hight protwin diet so it was not the supplment alone but my over all protein consumption.

sabie19, Here is an idear of say yesterday. I had 3 eggs for breakfast. Lunch usually Salmon or Tuna with a small salad. Mid day I have the shake. Dinner I have 3 boiled eggs with some kind of vegetable.

3 eggs 24 grams (include cheese some days 8grams)
salmon 40 grams (about, maybe more maybe a bit less)
shake 44 grams
3 eggs 24 grams

total 132 grams

sometimes I have a cliff bar which is another 11 grams of protein. Also add cheese for breakfast. That it!

Any taker?
MonaRae

*Frisky*

I will join this with you...actually I have tuna for lunch today and just was looking at how much protein was in it...is there a set amount that is gonna be set for the daily intake?

MiWay

I've been doing a glass of soy milk, a hard boiled egg, and a handful of almonds a day. About how much protein is that? Is that enough?

vaqtea

Me too! Me too! :wave:

I want to join this challenge!

How much protein will we be intaking daily?

Phoenix

I'll join! I bought some Designer Whey protein powder awhile back and haven't really used it. Here's what I plan to do:

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs
Lunch: Tuna, celery & carrots
Dinner: Salmon & salad
Snack: Designer Whey shake and/or protein bar

*Frisky*

Are we gonna come up with a daily intake requirement? The original post said she consumed over 100 g a day...so why don't we keep ours at 100 or is this too much or too little?

maryj1584

I want to joing this too, I am already on my own personal challange that involves protein consumption for growth.
so this would be good.132 grams of protein is alot. I think I can only deal with about 100 grams.
we would see

MonaRae

Ooh Joy! I thought I wasn’t going to get any takers.

100 grams per day sounds good to me. If memory serves me right 2 oz of tuna is 15 grams. I can eat a 6 oz can which is 45 grams of protein in one sitting. That really is not a lot.

4 oz of chicken in 26 grams
1 egg is 6 grams
Most protein powders are 20 grams

I think we can do this. I like Phoenix’s menu. She is well on her way!

Would you like to start Monday, February 13th? That way we can gather all the needed information and requirements.

MonaRae

alexei

I'm joining!
I'm already consuming 100g of protein daily since the beginning of February. Just food though, no supplements.
I weight 105 pounds so 100g is my limit, since I don't know how taking more will affect me in the long run.
Also in Jazz's post she mentioned her exercise routine contributing to growth, so I run for 1/2 an hr 3-4x per week as a start.
Happy Hair growing!

How long is this for?

Isis

msbrown76 said:
I've been doing a glass of soy milk, a hard boiled egg, and a handful of almonds a day. About how much protein is that? Is that enough?
Is that all the protein you have for one day? If so, you need much more.

Isis

I"m already on the 'No-Challenge" list :lol: but I have already increased my protein dramatically (for me) about 3 months ago. I added whey protein (Designer Whey) which is 18 grams of protein per scoop. I've learned I can healthfully (meaning without overdosing on protein for weight gain) have up to 2 scoops (36 to 40 grams) of whey protein each day in addition to the protein I'm getting from my 2 eggs (14 grams) and 15 ounces of other proteins (tofu, TSP, tempeh, spirulina, raw nuts and seeds) for another 14 grams. I'm not counting the protein that exists in all veggies.

I've increased my daily protein intake from 28 grams daily to 46 grams and I did feel some intense hair growth spurts (which I posted somewhere). Of course, the spurts could have been just timing, maybe it would have happened anyway but I'm researching this with myself to make sure. I have more energy in other ways too and my body remains at my ideal weight. I know I can safely added another 18 grams for 64 grams total daily (I can just make a second smoothie) to see what happens.

I eat vegetarian and do make sure I have enough but not too much protein in my daily diet. I used to be a pescetarian vegetarian which means plus seafood (mainly salmon) then stopped for many years, then started for a few months and stopped again. I stopped because of all the mercury poisoning I read about on both coasts.

Now, I've learned that wild salmon does not have the mercury in it like farm-raised salmon does and neither does mackerel and certain other fish. I heard it on Oprah from Dr. Perricone and I read about it in various sources. The sources and Dr. Perricone said almost all canned salmon is wild salmon. It should say so on the lable and have an expiration date on the bottom of the can. With fresh salmon, you may have to ask the fish person first to see if it's wild or not. Farm-raised salmon is not good for our health. I'm still researching this but I'm considering returning to wild salmon for all of the remarkable health and hair benefits! I will continue to eat my flaxseeds and flaxseed oil for additional omega-3's.

Here is what I posted in the other thread about this topic:

Isis said:
You mentioned eating fresh fish and canned tuna. Several years ago, I started a new job and met a black coworker with almost waist-length beautiful, relaxed hair. She always wore it down straight. Her hair type (looking back) seemed to be 4A and I had many good, close-up looks at her hair. I approached her shyly and asked how she grew her hair so long. She replied that she ate one can of salmon everyday, no matter what. She showed me her can (the salmon was the ordinary inexpensive kind) and I saw her eat her salmon out of the can during her lunch breaks everyday, and nothing else. She didn't miss a day.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
alexei said:
I'm joining!
Also in Jazz's post she mentioned her exercise routine contributing to growth, so I run for 1/2 an hr 3-4x per week as a start.
Yeah, she ran like 7 miles a day. I wonder how she had all that stamina to endure 7 miles. She's a good one. I wish I had the energy to that.

diamoness

I'd like to join this one....I'm taking in approx. 90g per day.
Alexei is right. Dont take anymore protein in grams than your body weight in pounds for extended amounts of time. It can have negative effects on the kidneys.

OnPoint

I'm going to try this too- but I'm limiting myself to

2 eggs a day=12
2 cans of tuna- or one tuna one salmon=90
other protein- whatever is for dinner

Feb 13- here I come

Bstuy

I'm in too. I bought a stairmaster (well, the cheap version) and want to start a total body makeover. Does anybody know if there is any way to consume too much protein?

MiWay

Isis said:
Is that all the protein you have for one day? If so, you need much more.

Really? Wow! And to think...I just started doing this... Okay, I will have to add some things to my diet. I usually eat Cheerios every morning, so that should help. I'll also add tuna and an extra egg for now, and see how that works. I'm a soy milk junkie, so I could probably drink more of that daily too.

Last edited:

MonaRae

Here is my sample menu:

Breakfast
  • Egg (6 gm) and Chicken Sausage (10 gm) on an English Muffin (4 gm), fruit - 20 gm
  • Honey Nut Cheerios (2 cups) with Soy Milk, fruit - 20 gm

Lunches and Dinners
  • Tuna Salad 5 oz (37.5 gm), fruit – 37.5 gm
  • Chicken 8 oz (52 gm)and Broccoli, fruit - 52 gm
  • Crab Salad 1.5 cups (24 gm), fruit - 24 gm

Protein Shake
· Powder (14 gm), Soy Milk (6) - 20 gm

MonaRae

flyjump00

Count me in. I increased my protein last week by using Designer Whey. Only b/c I thought my hair seemed a bit dull.
2 inches here I come!!!!!!

alexei

Don't forget to up your water intake ladies! :) I've been slipping on this, I'm gonna start keeping a bottle nearby.

Isis

msbrown76 said:
Really? Wow! And to think...I just started doing this... Okay, I will have to add some things to my diet. I usually eat Cheerios every morning, so that should help. I'll also add tuna and an extra egg for now, and see how that works. I'm a soy milk junkie, so I could probably drink more of that daily too.

I read somewhere that if inactive, you need 0.4 grams of protein per pounds of body weight each day. If you exercise, you need 0.5-0.75 grams of protein per pounds of body weight each day. Athletes need even more.

For example, someone inactive who weighs 130 pounds needs at least 52 grams of protein daily.

There are many protein calculators on the Internet. I believe in checking with a doctor and nutritionist first though, in case there are any special needs. Here are two:

http://www.changingshape.com/resources/calculators/

http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp

Last edited:

ekomba

MonaRae said:
Who would like to join me for this challenge?

I am basing this information off of this thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=11429 and I would like to see if it will really work.

This thread was started by JazzAngel back in 2003. Here is a sample of what she ate:

Dejuan42, I am taking Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein. It's a 5lb container from The Vitamin store. One serving is 22grams. I usually have 2 servings.

The first time when I begain monitoring my hair growth about 1 1/2 year ago. I started with a liquid protein and everyone was shocked to see how fast my hair grew. When I sit down I think of my diet then I realize that I was also on a hight protwin diet so it was not the supplment alone but my over all protein consumption.

sabie19, Here is an idear of say yesterday. I had 3 eggs for breakfast. Lunch usually Salmon or Tuna with a small salad. Mid day I have the shake. Dinner I have 3 boiled eggs with some kind of vegetable.

3 eggs 24 grams (include cheese some days 8grams)
salmon 40 grams (about, maybe more maybe a bit less)
shake 44 grams
3 eggs 24 grams

total 132 grams

sometimes I have a cliff bar which is another 11 grams of protein. Also add cheese for breakfast. That it!

Any taker?
MonaRae

I m already doing the high protein diet and would not mind been added to the list and yes you can grow 2 in in a month, not only did i used mtg , designer whey shakes 2 servings a day, a tuna can everyday with 6 baby carrots, 2 eggs and boca meat soy patties and lotta vits, i did get 2" and the nails and eyebrows were growing so fast, i had to trim constantly like i would cut the nails a week later they would be back. So it mostly like high protein and just good carbs like fruits and veggies and also nuts i would eat whole cans of almonds and get mad results.

MonaRae

Thanks for the information and confirmation ekomba! Where did you get your designer whey?

Ok, ladies are you ready to start 2/13?

If so I will start a new thread Monday 2/13 and will do so every Monday for 4 weeks. At the end of the 4 weeks I will start a testimonies thread so we can compare note and get an understanding of what and how we are doing.

MonaRae

OnPoint

Question about te tuna- which brand are you using because the tuna that I see only contains about 18 grams. Is their a brand that has more protein?