SweetSpirit86

This is how I did it:

1. pre poo
2. Shampoo
3. oil rinse
4. rinse
5. apply deep condish - insert steam treatment here - 30 mins to 1 hour
6. detangle & final rinse.

From:lick: what others have stated - this should only be done once a month or so. This infused moisture and infused the condish as well... There was also a thread that stated when moisture levels are optimal - reversion is minimal for any thermal style.
since I am natural - and I wanted my rollerset/flat iron to last - I decied to do this. This also may reduce frizz and tangle on curls.

Hope that helps.

How do you do an oil rinse?:look:

Aggie

Okay, I can safely say that can unsubscribe from this thread now - I finally bought a steamer and I picked it up today. I am so excited. I took advantage of the disount code from exoticmommie and I ordered mine from www.salonsrus.com.

It was only $129.99. It was a great deal because it is a floor standup steamer and I can use it while I'm sitting here using my computer:yay:.

brownbean96

I just read this entire thread and my head is spinning :drunk: Just want to clarify something with LuckM. Are we basicaly layering the turbies and plastic caps. Turbie on, next plastic cap, next turbie, next plastic cap? Probably a silly question but I wanted to make sure. Thanks a bunch!

SmartyPants

I just read this entire thread and my head is spinning :drunk: Just want to clarify something with LuckM. Are we basicaly layering the turbies and plastic caps. Turbie on, next plastic cap, next turbie, next plastic cap? Probably a silly question but I wanted to make sure. Thanks a bunch!

Not LuckyM... but yes... this is exactly what we're doing.

Nappy_in_the_City

Okay, I can safely say that can unsubscribe from this thread now - I finally bought a steamer and I picked it up today. I am so excited. I took advantage of the disount code from exoticmommie and I ordered mine from www.salonsrus.com.

It was only $129.99. It was a great deal because it is a floor standup steamer and I can use it while I'm sitting here using my computer:yay:.

I need one badly! What discount did you use?

Mz.Shug

Sam, your right steaming is amazing! I've had nothing but praises for steaming. I haven't steamed in a minute but once I move everything into my new apt. I'll be steaming biweekly as I was before. By the way I got this steamer from hair-only.com

http://www.hairgift.com/hair-care.html

it was on sale for $120 but you can sometimes find it on Ebay for cheaper. I love that it doesn't take up a whole mess of space! I just put it on my table top and go! This bad boy is powerful too, it's like turbie steaming to the 100th power! I would suggest wearing a head band when you steam because it the water from the steam will start pouring down your forehead and into your eyes!

:yep:Putting this on my Christmas list and e-mailing to hubby..:yep:

Phoenix14

I'm sitting under the dryer as I type. Here's what I did:
1. Hot oil treatment with a heat cap last night. Slept in the coconut oil (too tired lol)
2. Shampooed with diluted Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap
3. Detangled with generic BJ's conditioner (I had just taken down 3 week old small twists and my hair was KNOTTED)
4. slathered on a DC (AO Honeysuckle Rose, honey, castor oil, a squirt of V05 Free Me Freesia to make it stretch).
5. Washclothes (too impatient to wait to buy a turb
e), plastic bag, face towel, conditioning cap
6. Under the dryer on high for 30 min.
7. Rinse with Cool-Cold Water
8. Blowdry with coconut oil
9. Bun it up.
10. Later I will be using my Maxiglide and my Sally's GVP to flat iron it.

Blessed_Angel

I like a very damp near wet turbie on first then the shower cap. I use the gold n hot soft bonnet dryer. great results :)

I do too.

towel first. no tangles.

I've been steaming for the past few months, and I now see what I've been doing wrong.

I did it right this morning and my hair felt like SILK! :grin:

I will do this several times a week until my hair gets all it's moisture back.

Which (deep) conditioners are ya'll using with the steam?

kbragg

I'm finally doing this:grin: My hair has been like a desert lately so I hope this softens my new growth!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
bumping this thread b/c this is awesome! i will attempt this tonight.

questions:
what conditioners are you using for steaming?
why don't the turbie absorb all of your condish?
should i use a cotton turbie twist or microfiber type turbie? (does it matter?)

gn1g

the HOT turbie first then the plastic cap? If the turbie is too hot for hands want it be to hot for the head? just asking. How many minutes do you microwave

divachyk

the HOT turbie first then the plastic cap? If the turbie is too hot for hands want it be to hot for the head? just asking. How many minutes do you microwave
turbie, plastic, turbie, plastic

If the turbie is too hot for your hands, then it would seem you would be unable to ring out the excess water and place the turbie on your head....There have been times my turbie was too hot to handle so I wait for it to cool off before handling it at which point the heat was sufficient for my hair -- wasn't too hot.

I heat the water for like 3 to 5 minutes but I usually am off doing other things and by the time I go back to the microwave to retrieve the water, the water has had time to cool off. If it's too scorching hot, you can always add some cold water to cool the temperature.

krissyprissy

Nice thread! I want a steamer so bad but I don't want to spend the money on something I have no room for. I will try this method first.

Lovelylocs

Alright, I'm trying it right now, except I don't have turbies. I'm using paper towels instead. :-( We'll see how it goes. lol Hopefully, it works. Then, anyone can try anytime. :)

CurlyNue

All this time I have been thinking I need to buy a steamer so that I can understand what the ladies are talking about when they mention the results achieved from steaming their hair. Now, after reading this post I realize this is the same process my mother used when I was a child minus the microwave and the dryer.

Mother would create a conditioner from mayonnaise, egg, and olive oil which she would warm up on the stove and apply all over my hair. The dripping mayo mix once irritated me to no end. While applying my conditioner she would have a pot of water heating on the stove that would be poured over a large bath towel in the sink. The towel would be wrung out and wrapped around my head. A plastic grocery bag would be tied around my head; over the heated towel. I would sit until the towel was cooled then get rinsed out. Not until this moment did I recognized the benefits of my mother’s monthly ritual. No wonder my hair was in shambles. I do not give her enough credit for her wisdom.

I’m going back to my mother’s old school ways. Mother knows best.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Couldn't wait til morning.

Heavenly Hash!

My hair has been RESTORED!!!!!!!!!!! It was acting really funky...now, it's like it's old self. I guess I had protein overload, or just needed a good dose of moisture. I used Motions CPR - smells heavenly - did the turbie, baggie, turbie, baggie method (35 min) under my ole raggedy soft bonnet dryer that for some reason i couldn't throw out...hmmm....Anyhoo, it was fab-o. When I took everything off, my turbies were still wet and kinda warm so I knew that was a good sign. I could detangle with my fingers once again! Shiny, silky, supple hair ---- Yippeee!!!

Thanks again, SJ - I just heart this forum!!!!!!!!

coyacoy

Thanks, Mrs. Verde!! Just curious - why did you decide to purchase the steamer when you were using the "do it yourself" steaming method? Just curious cuz i was on a quest to find a steamer - had even added it to my birthday wish list, but was thinking that the at home (a.k.a. "ghetto" haha:grin:) method of doing it would suffice forever, and ever, amen - but want to make sure i am getting the max benefit so if i have to pay for it then so be it:yep:. Thx again!

Last edited:

divachyk

coyacoy - know question wasn't for me but I purchased because I was tired of the extra steps required for the do it yourself method. Having an actual steamer is so much more convenient (for me). Results are similar if I compare the do it yourself for 1hr to using actual steamer for ~30mins.

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

coyacoy

Thanks, divachyk! I can relate to that. Will probably be ok w/ the at home method for a little while, but if using an actual steamer will make my regimen easier in just the slightest then I know i will eventually have to have one! Thx again!

divachyk

coyacoy - EXACTLY!!! Saving time is wonderful! Having the actual steamer saves me a lot of time. No longer am I drenching the tubie's in water, heating them up, burning my hands even with gloves on, sitting under hooded dryer for 1hr.

I held out from purchasing a steamer for almost a year. I'm so dern frugal that I couldn't justify the costs when I had a cheaper, do it yourself method that worked decently. I started falling off from steaming because of the amount of time it took. My dh took note and purchased the steamer for me.

Mrs. Verde

coyacoy - I agree with divachyk a steamer is much more convenient. Using my table dryer always left my back hurting because I don't have a table that I can use. With the a standing steamer, I just pull up a chair and steam. The home made treatments are cool in a pinch. For me the standing steamer is 10xs better for my hair. The moisture is crazy!!:lick::lick: I will never be without a standing steamer again.

coyacoy

well, i lasted doing 2 at home steam treatments before i went ahead and purchased one...lol talk about impatient :drunk: