I DID IT - I used the heat/relaxer technique!

Raven

And just when you all said it couldn't/shouldn't be done, I did it anyway - WITH SUCCESS!

For the record - I WAS NOT SUGGESTING USING SEARING HEAT. I WAS ADVOCATING USING GENTLE HEAT - *WARMTH* - A LITTLE WARMER THAN BODY HEAT when the relaxer creme is in the hair.

Before I put the relaxer in my hair, I soaked a Turbie Twist towel in water and put it in the microwave. After the relaxer creme was in my hair, I covered all of my hair with a disposable plastic shower cap. I nuked the Turbie Twist in the microwave for about 3-4 minutes, then immediately wrapped it around my head on top of the (disposable) shower cap.

I left the Turbie Twist and shower cap on my head for about ten minutes to work the relaxer further into the cortex, which nets a smoother permanent result.

And you know what, y'all? It was no biggie in terms of burning my head any more than usual. I lived to tell about it - imagine that!

When I was washing the relaxer out, the FIRST thing I noticed was my hair was 3x (3x, not 2x) as smooth, silky and straight than when relaxing without warmth. My hands just glided over my hair as if I was washing cat fur or something. I washed with a neutralizing shampoo and used a good deep conditioner, combing out as I was rinsing.

When I got out of the shower, I couldn't believe how much "weight" my hair had! It actually felt much heavier, especially in the back/kitchen area.

It worked!

My humble idea - that everyone poo-poo'd - actually worked for me - better than anything I've ever tried before on my hair. The hair that was relaxed with warmth is NOTICEABLY more glossy and silky (like glass) than the ends that were relaxed the old-school way.

As far as the previous question about my age, I'm a grown woman who just happens to think "outside the box" sometimes.

sweetcocoa

Great! I didn't read your original thread(since I don't relax anymore)...but I too like to think 'outside the box'. Keep posting progress reports so others can see it is safe in the long run also.

ngaa

hie raven i didnt see yo original post but i'm glad this worked for u! how is the heat supposed to make the hair smoother?? also where did u first hear bout this?? sorry for the questions but i never hed of this method b4 and was always under the notion that too many experiments may cause either hair breakage or scabs

T

Tee

I don't understand why anybody would do this. It sounds very very risky to me! Why not just use a super strength relaxer if you need smoother/straighter results?

Raven

Thanks for all the congrats!

What I noticed immediately in terms of styling is the hair that has been relaxed with warmth no longer puffs up or gets overly frizzy with humidity - it stays silky.

Also, I spend less time styling that part of my hair with the hairdryer or flat-iron because it is already smooth and straight enough.

This has cut my styling time in half. My only regret is not knowing this technique years ago. In the long run, I think it'll be healthier because I'm spending less time manipulating my hair on a daily basis.

By the way, my hair length is 4" past my shoulders, and I wouldn't dare do something that I had a feeling would be seriously detrimental to my hair.

I'm glad I didn't get tomatoes thrown at me this time!

ngaa

raven, u kno how heat opens up the hair shaft to allow moisture to penetrate wen deep conditionin, wit the relaxer does a similar thing occur??

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Was this a retouch or virgin relaxer?

Have you had a chance to wash it since your experiment.

I'm glad it worked for you.

Raven

Hi ngaa. Yes, I believe a similar thing is occurring here in terms of the heat opening the hair shaft more. Like I said, I have super-resilient type 3C hair that can withstand a lot of experiments, so I felt totally cool with doing this on my own head.

For those who are getting really upset, YOU DON'T HAVE TO TRY THIS.

However, I figure, why waste my precious TIME styling my hair smooth on a daily basis when I can just take care of half the battle in the relaxer process? The bulk of my hair is reduced in the area relaxed with warmth.

CurlyCrly, this was a retouch. No, I haven't rewashed it yet. I will certainly post more results and keep those who are interested updated on everything regarding this hair experiment.

I just got so sick of styling my super thick hair smooth every day - whether by roller-setting, blowdrying or flat-ironing.

Again, no one HAS to try this. I'm just sharing my own experience.

CurlyCrly

I'm not going to try this, but I'm interested in hearing how your hair reacts once you've washed it. This is interesting.

sweetcocoa

Raven, Like I said earlier...I didn't read the original thread but if there was unenthusiastic response, there you will probably get it again... especially since you've only just did it and have yet to see what your hair will do in the long run(down the road). People are just cautious when it comes to chemicals that can alter your hair permenantly and cannot be undone if there is a problem. So some controversy should be expected. You should take it in stride and not make a big deal of it. If you are happy with your results than that's all that counts.

Trinity1

I agree with Sweetcocoa. My concern would be long time use and effects. It may seem nice now but in the long run will it cause excessive shedding,breakage,hair loss? Those are the questions. Raven I am glad it turned out very well for you and hope that you dont receive any bad effects from this. Personally I wont be trying this either but thats a personal choice.

Tee Tee

Raven

You know how folks always rant about how relaxers are just so, so definitely "damaging" to hair and they say it is impossible to grow relaxed hair long and healthy?

A lot of us on this board are living PROOF that relaxers do not necessarily = disaster and short, crispy hair. Not if you know your hair and know how to work with it! Everything in moderation. I used moderate WARMTH - not heat.

Sitting someone under a roaring bonnet dryer to bake the relaxer in is just crazy talk! I would never recommend something so extreme. Putting a shower cap and a warm towel on your head is a different thing altogether.

I promise to keep y'all updated in the long run.

tekmommie

I didnt read your previous post either, but I'm glad you are happy with your results. However I would STRONGLY advise against this method as the "smoother permanent results" you speak of generally means WAY overprocessed hair. And that means the hair, initially, appears to look good (glassy, straight)but will lack body, wont hold the curl as long as it should and most importantly is EXTREMLY FRAGILE = a lot of breakage. Which means in the long run USUALLY the hair ends up in very poor condition that is irrepairable. Does your hair have any curl in it when wet?

A relaxer is not designed to make the hair bone straight (when wet)...it is designed to relax the natural curl to a very loose wave (hence the body in the hair) and then use the method of choice to finish straightning.

Relaxers have come a long way in the past 25 or so years. Manufacturers and chemists have done intensive research to improve them and make them the quality products they are today. Even the worst relaxers are better than the best relaxers of years ago. I say this to say relaxing and the maintenance of relaxed hair is a multi-billion dollar industry, if the heat method was the way to go odds are one of them (that has been in it for a while) would recommend it = mucho dinero!!

Now I like to think outside the box too, but as an ex hairstylist, ex-instructor and an ex Mizani rep (14 yrs total) I would have to say that this is NOT for %99 of the people. I DO realize there is an exception to every rule.

Please continue to post and let us know how your hair is doing, and I wish you happy healthy hair. I'm concerned about the long term results of your hair and that someone less knowledgable will try this. Is it possible for you to post some pictures of your hair now and maybe some, say, 6 weeks from now??

Wishing you happy hair

jazzyfunknastee

I gotta give it up to Raven. I'll admit, I was thinking about if it would work on my stubborn hair but I'm too chicken to try it (at least right now lol). I'm just concerned about the long term effects. Please keep me updated.

Raven

No pics, sorry.

But I'll come back in a couple of months to give you the 411. I will be totally honest about the long-term result, too. I won't front if I jacked my hair up. I'll come through with the truth.

Many years ago a stylist relaxed my hair "bone-straight" and damaged my hair, so I know what damaged relaxed hair is like.

This hair that I've relaxed with a little warmth still has elasticity and still holds curl well. It's not the same as the hair that was relaxed bone-straight by my stylist. I did not leave the relaxer on for more than 20 minutes. The warm towel was on my head for no longer than 10 minutes.

Anyhoo, time will tell. But I know my hair and can tell I ain't gonna wake up one day lookin' like Mufasa.

Crystal

Hey Raven,

Thanks for the follow up... I'm glad it worked for you and I hope in the long term you will not have any setbacks.... I still wouldn't touch this with a 10.. make that a 20 foot pole but if it works for you then that's what is important. Keep us updated.

How do you wear your hair? Mostly down? Do you hot curl on a daily basis or do you wet set? What's your regimine?

Raven

I usually wear my hair out and curly.

I use 100% pure aloe vera gel (Fruit of the Earth brand) on my wet hair as soon as I get out the shower and comb through. Aloe vera is a humectant, but does not cause shrinkage like glycerin. Also, it is not sticky or greasy. If anything, I've noticed that aloe vera gel COMBATS shrinkage on my curly hair, because it keeps the moisture balance steady in my hair throughout the day. Thus, my hair never dries to a shrivel and I maintain length.

I would say that 75% of the time I go curly, and the other 25% of the time I smooth a dime-sized amount of silicone serum on my wet hair, blowdry with a paddle brush and flat-iron with a good ceramic flat iron.

I trim my hair about once a year at the most. My hair grows extremely fast with no breakage. In January of 2001 I had a shaved head. Now my hair is 4" past my shoulders. I know what I'm doing with my hair.

I tried the WHOLE MILK recipe a long time ago (NOT the coconut milk/lime juice recipe - too much acid!), and I can honestly say it does loosen the hair up and helped permanently with shrinkage for me. I think part of it is because you wear a shower cap to prevent the milk from dripping, so you retain more heat in your hair as it straightens. That's where I got the idea about using a shower cap with a regular relaxer.

By the way, I am the 3C hair type that Andre Walker talks about being extremely resistent and resilient. It takes A LOT to break my hair down. Even after relaxing my hair last time, I still have curls. Yes, even after doing the warmth technique, I still go curly, and my roots curl up, too.

That's my technique!

CurlyCrly

Andre doesn't have a 3C. That's a hair type that I think was made up by naturallycurly.com

I, too, have extremely resilient hair.....still wouldn't try your experiment though. Glad it appears to have worked ok for you though..so far anyway.

Stormy

Am I the only other person on this site who's ever heard of this? Or...just one of the few? This technique is really nothing new. No wait...I take that back because I just heard about it in March or April when a lady on another hair site told us that her hair stylist used this method. I can't remember if she used the towel around the shower cap though. Anyway...

Raven, I haven't seen your previous post on this, but I tried the shower cap (or baggie as some call it)method for the first time when I relaxed my hair in April. I didn't do it exactly the way you did. I just put a shower cap on my head during the last few minutes of my relaxing. I left it on for about 5 minutes and then rinsed it out. It is true that this helps the relaxer to work better with the heat from your head. My hair turned out straighter than in the past. (I also used Motions Mild strength)I didn't get it bone straight (that's a no no for me), but at least I didn't have to worry about all of my hair not getting evenly straight as I have in the past. Now...this could also be because I used the mild strength relaxer which gave me more smoothing time. I also tried this on my daughter's hair last month with great results. So far our hair is doing fine. It's been 6 weeks since I did my last touch up.

So I say good for you Raven! And hey if that method does cause any damage then you just chalk it up as an experience and don't do it again. That's all!

Mufasa

[ QUOTE ]
No pics, sorry.
Anyhoo, time will tell. But I know my hair and can tell I ain't gonna wake up one day lookin' like Mufasa.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is good that it worked for you (Let's hope you won't look like Sinead O'Connor either .. )

Please post pictures in about 6 weeks - I would never do this - but - I am interested to see the results.

Mahalialee4

They have been doing this for years, particularly in very high priced salons. Some stylists were using perm lotion to straighten the hair and some were using the Revlon. It wasn't talked about a lot, because it was being done on curly and frizzy haired Caucasion women who were not about to broadcast that their hair was not naturally STRAIGHT. It has been done on ladies of color as well, as this eliminated the smoothing with the comb or the hand. It went very fast from my observation of the process. This is not a vote for or against, just a statement that "there is nothing new under the sun."
Bonjour.

lala

Raven,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'd never heard of this technique until it was posted recently. The technique may not be for everyone, but it will hopefully work well for you. I was just curious though, before you wrapped your hair with the warm towel, did you apply relaxer to the new growth only? Were you able to prevent the relaxer from spreading after wrapping? I appreciate your response.

MSCHICHI

Raven,

I keep meaning to try that aloe vera gel. I will definitely go try it now that you say you have gotten less shrinkage with it.

I don't relax my hair anymore, but I am always curious about all different kinds of hair care. My biggest question about you relaxer technique is it is how can you avoid overlapping? It would seem that with the plastic shower cap, then putting the towel over it, would unavoidably "mush" the previously relaxed hair together with the hair with the relaxer on it.

notorious923

Raven, my hairdresser does this too - only she uses an old school heat cap. She didnt do it on me - I have really soft, thin hair 3B/4A but she said it works great on heavier hair, probably 4A and 4b's. You are so brave girl! I'm scared my hair'd fall out...

Tracy

Just wanted to point out that the concern expressed on the original thread was just that - concern. For your (and your hair's) health and well being...

I'm glad the technique worked and didn't cause damage or discomfort and I'm glad you and your hair are safe and happy.

We get kinda close here on this board - and I'd hate to see any of my sisters in the struggle end up having a set back.
That's all my (and I'm sure many others) alarm was about.
Sorry if you felt you were jumped on or whatever.