Question about steaming: why aren't plastic caps good enough?

Solitude

Okay, I realize the immense benefits of steaming; however, I am a little confused.

I'm thinking about plastic caps versus an actual steam machine. If your hair is wet with water and conditioner, with a plastic cap on it, doesn't the cap get all steamy when you use heat, with or without a towel? I really don't understand how a steamer infuses more moisture than water and a plastic cap.....?

I was thinking about this because I remembered that I stopped using the towel steaming method once I bought a good hood dryer because I didn't see the difference. Or, I could just wet my hair and add conditioner, then put on a plastic cap and exercise. My hair would get plenty steamy inside that cap.....thoughts???????????? I know some ladies have tried steaming with and without an actual steam machine.

Is it like the difference between a shower and a steam room? I can kind of get that comparison, except that the plastic cap makes the steam more intense, hence the reason why people use plastic caps for deep conditioning.....

This is long, but another example is facial steaming. While a steam machine does work wonders during a facial, the heat can almost be too hot, causing my skin to dry out later. I've found that a warm, wet towel works just as well to open the pores.

I'll check back on this thread in the morning, because I'm getting ready to go to bed. TIA for any responses.

ETA: Update!!!! I'm absolutely loving my steamer.

Last edited:

xcuzememiss

Probably b/c the steam from the machine is alot more than the steam from just the cap and your scalp. i think if my hair is wet enough i can get under a hooded dryer with a cap and get really good results.
Good Question though

frizzy

Unless there is boiling water under that plastic cap, you won't get steam, just warm moisture.

Solitude

Unless there is boiling water under that plastic cap, you won't get steam, just warm moisture.

Wait - I've never been under a hair steamer, but I've had a facial steamer used on me. The steam is pretty warm, but it's not that hot. If the steam coming from a machine was as hot as the steam that comes from boiling water, it would burn the skin/scalp.

It would seem like the heat from the hood dryer/conditioning cap/or body heat from exercise would get just as warm as as steam machine. Again, I've never used one and I am posing the question, so I appreciate your answer, but I know it can't be as hot as the steam coming from boiling water.

I thought the steam used for domestic and cosmetic purposes was more of a warm water vapor-mist, as opposed to the high-high heat steam used for industrial purposes.

SEMO

Good question OP. I've always thought the same things you have, which is why I've not paid that much attention to the threads talking about hair steamers. I don't get either why it wouldn't just be good enough to use a plastic cap, and maybe baggy overnight.

frizzy

It's steam, real steam. It is hot but it is not forced by air and concentrated on one area of the head. The steam is enclosed in the dome and settles on the hair and it is hot.

KittyMeowMeow

Wait - I've never been under a hair steamer, but I've had a facial steamer used on me. The steam is pretty warm, but it's not that hot. If the steam coming from a machine was as hot as the steam that comes from boiling water, it would burn the skin/scalp.

The only way to create steam is with boiling water. Water turns into steam at it's boiling point - 100 degrees C...below that temp it is liquid water. Actually, now that I think about it, there is steam in the shower, and it doesn't seem to be boiling, so I don't know...

I am really interested in this too, though...I wonder if DCs work just as well if they don't get as hot, but are left in for longer...

bajanplums1

i have never had the wonderful results that i have with steaming with any other methods.
The steam from my steamer is powerful and covers my entire head simultaneously. I put a towel over my steamer to intensify the effect.

The shower steam is not as strong because the area of the bathroom is great.
Even in the sauna at the gym the steam is not concentrated on my head, but the results are acceptable.
A shower cap alone using my body heat and the cap is nothing.

milaydy31

I always thought that the purpose of a hair steamer was to open the pores because of the heat so the product can penetrate better in your scalp.
So, for me, the result is the same with a plastic cap if the heat produced by your own body is enough to open the pores of your scalp. With a steamer, the steam in itself is nothing because steam is only hot water, what is important is the effect= the pores are open due to the steam and the product penetrate deeper ( I don't know if I am clear).
So if you go to the sauna, for example, and you put your conditionner on your scalp before, in my opinion, you will have the same results that you'll have with a hair steamer (because of the heat in the sauna, your pores are open so the product penetrate better).
But I don't have any hair steamer so it's only my opinion. For me, the plastic cap work well, when I take it off, there is steam on it. I keep it on one hour and during the last minutes I take a hot shower with it.

Milaydy

frizzy

The steamer is for the purpose of opening the pores and the hair shaft. The other methods are good and I've done all of them, but the steamer machine is GREAT.

LadyPaniolo

I never understood the steamer thing either... but I wonder about it now... so many posters seem to adore them. Is there a steamer wiki :lol: or a good thread about them so I can educate myself? Cuz right now all I know is they are kinda pricey but folks love them.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
no, just a plastic cap is just not good enough, this is what i just posted in another thread V V V V

i actually did a little experiment lol. silly but i put a tea bag in cold water,it took about 6mins to drop in water. i did the same with hot water and the tea bag dropped fast becuase the water penetrated faster becuase the water was warm.

same with the hair and conditioner!!!! it penetrates the hair making it allll soooo goooooood, mmm love conditioner!!

LaidBak

On the steam question, quoted from the web:

'Steam' is formed when water Vaporises at its boiling temperature.
This is 100°C at standard atmospheric pressure (1.0atm).
Water will also boil at higher and lower temperatures depending on the surrounding pressure. (Increased pressure, increases boiling point and decreased pressure decreases boiling point).

However, water also forms steam-like 'Vapour' at lower temperatures by a process called 'Evaporation' which can take place at any temperature. Even in Winter, a pool of water will slowly disappear as it evaporates

AND

When does water turn into steam?

It depends on the pressure of the system that the water is in.

In atmospheric pressure (ie at sea level and in the open) water turns into steam at 100 degrees Celsius. At higher pressures this temperature decreases.​

HTH

Solitude

It's steam, real steam. It is hot but it is not forced by air and concentrated on one area of the head. The steam is enclosed in the dome and settles on the hair and it is hot.

I think the "steam" in the shower is mostly condensation, like going out in the cold weather and breathing out, its moreso just warm moist air, made from the temperature difference.

This lady on yt is demonstrating steam treating her hair, go to 3:30 minutes, she talks about the machine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ5zPJ0turg&feature=related

Totally makes sense. Thanks for the vid. I'm going to check it out.

On the steam question, quoted from the web:
'Steam' is formed when water Vaporises at its boiling temperature.
This is 100°C at standard atmospheric pressure (1.0atm).
Water will also boil at higher and lower temperatures depending on the surrounding pressure. (Increased pressure, increases boiling point and decreased pressure decreases boiling point).

However, water also forms steam-like 'Vapour' at lower temperatures by a process called 'Evaporation' which can take place at any temperature. Even in Winter, a pool of water will slowly disappear as it evaporates

AND

When does water turn into steam?

It depends on the pressure of the system that the water is in.

In atmospheric pressure (ie at sea level and in the open) water turns into steam at 100 degrees Celsius. At higher pressures this temperature decreases.​

HTH

Great information!

Solitude

Anyhoo, after seeing a bunch of broken hairs in the shower this morning, I ordered my steamer :spinning:. I guess I'll find out the benefits for myself!

momi

eh, bumping...why not?! maybe somebody else will answer....

Under the steamer the steam actually surrounds your entire head vs. the plastic cap where it is not really concentrated.

Thats the best I could come up with, but my hair transformed with steam treatments.

momi

Anyhoo, after seeing a bunch of broken hairs in the shower this morning, I ordered my steamer :spinning:. I guess I'll find out the benefits for myself!

Trust me, you will. I only use mine about once a month these days, but initially I steamed weekly.

Nonie

The jury is still out on this one, but my first sentiments were there is no difference. Concentration on hair isn't less when you have a cap. I mean the cap surrounds the hair and the elastic ensures that no steam escapes so that alone squashes for me the idea that steamers concentrate the steam better than a plastic cap.

I also don't think I am sold on the fact that more steam means more moisture. I think hair can absorb only so much moisture and the rest just sits on top. If plastic caps were not doing a good job, then you'd find the hair absorbed all the moisture and became dry...but that's not usually the case. Hair feels wet when you take the cap off coz the hair got plenty of moisture from that.

As far as temperature, if you're comparing just wearing a cap and working out and steaming, then I can see how the former pales in comparison. But if you're talking about wearing a cap and going under a dryer, I'm sorry but the dryer heat methinks could actually get as hot as a steamer. I know when I'd use heat to DC, I'd have to go to medium heat coz the max used to feel like it'd burn my brains out.

And now that controversial topic of bubble hair. :look: Since there's the fear of water bubbles swelling up inside of hair and causing breakage when people wet-to-dry flat iron, wouldn't that happen with steaming too, since steam is being encouraged to moisturize hair and there's talk of penetration?

Here's an interesting article on Steam Rooms and Hair:

Steam Rooms and Hair
Q: How do steam rooms affect your hair? Does it damage it, or is it healthy for your hair?

A: As with many environmental conditions, steam can have beneficial effects for certain hair types, but only as long as the level and durations of exposure are controlled and kept to reasonable levels. It also depends on the hair type being exposed. Hair that is porous will absorb moisture more readily, and release it in much the same manner, and could easily swell more rapidly and thus be damaged by prolonged exposure to steamy environs.

Because of this, there are cases where steam can be beneficial, as well as cases where steam could be harmful to the hair. The key is to know your hair and know how much steam to which you should expose the hair. If you have a problem with dry hair, taking a steam can give the hair some much needed moisture. Follow up a 15-20 minute sauna or steam bath with a good acid-balanced conditioner and cool water rinse and you could lock in the extra moisture and leave with better conditioned hair than when you arrived.

If you find that your hair is adversely affected by a sauna or steam bath – for example if your hair becomes puffy and frizzy when steam-exposed – try using a smoothing serum (with a silicone base) or a light oil shine spray to treat the hair before you sauna, or keep your head wrapped in a towel or bathing cap to minimize the amount of moisture your hair is exposed to. Silicone serums and spray oils coat the hair shaft and prevent moisture from penetrating as rapidly (if at all in some cases). This keeps the hair from being over-saturated by the warm moisture of the steam.

Probably the greatest benefit of steam for most people is the tendency of steam baths to open the pores of the skin and allow free flow of sebum and clearing of the ducts and glands in the skin. Since the scalp is made of skin with hair follicles growing from it, a steam can help to alleviate common scalp issues, such as dryness and flaking, and excessive-oil production. The warmth and moisture help stimulate circulation and flush out toxins from the skin.

So, to answer your question: Steam rooms are like every other luxury or pleasure in life. They are best experienced in moderation and with some level of understanding of the intentions behind their use.
(Source)

JJamiah

I have to be honest I was a non believer, I used mine yesterday and I felt my hair on 5 minutes with it on and then 15 under the steamer the difference is definitely felt! I am glad I got mine and will use it either every other week or once a month depends :)

Solitude

I have to be honest I was a non believer, I used mine yesterday and I felt my hair on 5 minutes with it on and then 15 under the steamer the difference is definitely felt! I am glad I got mine and will use it either every other week or once a month depends :)

I'm not completely sold, but I went ahead and ordered because the price really is a good deal. I don't think there will be a huge difference in my hair overall, but I'm hoping to see a difference in my scalp since I suffer from dry/flaky/itchy scalp...and the moisture can't hurt my ends.

Plus, I'm seriously thinking about transitioning.

Polyesterdiva

I totally agree with the non believers.

My logic is this: The purpose of applying the heat to the hair (steam heat or otherwise) is to lift the hair cuticle so that the conditioner can penetrate properly. Any sort of heat would be effective for this (lifting the cuticle). In fact, what would matter more is the temperature, and less the manner of delivery of the heat.

In terms of what is better for hair health: The hair is already wet once water and conditioner are applied, so any heat placed on it would be non damaging "wet heat" and not damaging dry heat. One could argue that steam heat does the same job but in a less damaging way, but i don't see why one form of wet heat at a fixed temp would be better than another. Also, maybe steam heat would lift the cuticle more, but why would it? Again, I do believe the temperature would be the most crucial thing.

*** Also, steam is produced when water is boiled, but that does not mean that the steam itself is boiling hot. Steam particles are small, and cool as soon as they hit the air. If they didn't it'd be like pouring boiling water on your hair, which is obviously a bad idea. OR it would be like heating wet hair to boiling point, which as an above poster mentioned = bubble hair.

Heh....all just my thoughts.

Last edited:

peachykeen

I noticed when I was relaxed traditional deep conditioning with a cap was great. But then after the big chop and I had all natural hair it didnt work as well. The only time I have been under the steamer is at Too Groovy, my hair turned out silky & hyrdated.
But, I have to take it with a grain of salt because there is no telling what they put in/on my hair to make the results. With that said it could have something to do with rather or not you have relaxed, natural or transitioning hair. I noticed that I had to switch things up when I got the big chop, because my ends were now exposed natural hair and not relaxed.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
For Me, I feel DC'ing with Steam is entirely Fundamentally Different from using a DC with a Plastic Cap and Doing a DC with Heat with a Heat Cap and or a Plastic cap with Body Heat.:yep:

To me, the constant emitting of "Steam" and the total absorption of the DC'er you use, makes a noticeable difference in your Hair's ability to retain moisture.:yep:

Personally, I think there is no comparison of the 'other' DC Methods.

Last edited: