Question about steaming: why aren't plastic caps good enough?

LushLox

Being able to glide a comb right through 10 week post hair, that's testament enough for me. I can't get this kind of result using any other form of heat applied DC method.

exoticmommie

I get the best, shiniest, and bounciest braidouts/twist outs after I steam. Along with the benefits the ladies listed above.

Last edited:

Solitude

Just wanted to do a quick update - I got my steamer earlier this week and I'm under it now for the first time...........:love::love::love:

The steam feels amazing!!!! I was only going to do 30 minutes, but I just added more water. I'm going to go for an hour. My scalp feels refreshed and my hair is so soft. I can't wait to see how my rollerset turns out later.

Teddy B

Okay, I realize the immense benefits of steaming; however, I am a little confused.

I'm thinking about plastic caps versus an actual steam machine. If your hair is wet with water and conditioner, with a plastic cap on it, doesn't the cap get all steamy when you use heat, with or without a towel? I really don't understand how a steamer infuses more moisture than water and a plastic cap.....?

I was thinking about this because I remembered that I stopped using the towel steaming method once I bought a good hood dryer because I didn't see the difference. Or, I could just wet my hair and add conditioner, then put on a plastic cap and exercise. My hair would get plenty steamy inside that cap.....thoughts???????????? I know some ladies have tried steaming with and without an actual steam machine.

Is it like the difference between a shower and a steam room? I can kind of get that comparison, except that the plastic cap makes the steam more intense, hence the reason why people use plastic caps for deep conditioning.....

This is long, but another example is facial steaming. While a steam machine does work wonders during a facial, the heat can almost be too hot, causing my skin to dry out later. I've found that a warm, wet towel works just as well to open the pores.

I'll check back on this thread in the morning, because I'm getting ready to go to bed. TIA for any responses.

ETA: Update!!!! I'm absolutely loving my steamer.

Solitude Re: Question about steaming: why aren't plastic caps good enough? Just wanted to do a quick update - I got my steamer earlier this week and I'm under it now for the first time........... The steam feels amazing!!!! I was only going to do 30 minutes said:
Was thinking about this topic for a while so I was so happy to find your thread. I was really depending on you to direct me to the light.

A simple 'I'm absolutely loving my steamer.' Isn't enough.:rolleyes:

Like Cherokia-Rose I'm curious to find out how ur rollerset turned out different from your rollersets with regular deepconditioning. Please come back and let us know:lol:

nadiacurly

The molecular size molecule penetrates the hair roots and fibers and releases moisture into the scalp thus allows scalp to cleanse, purify, open logged pores and release toxins.

It's al about the smaller size of molecules...that's why steam is better than just water and a cap :)

nikolite

The jury is still out on this one, but my first sentiments were there is no difference. Concentration on hair isn't less when you have a cap. I mean the cap surrounds the hair and the elastic ensures that no steam escapes so that alone squashes for me the idea that steamers concentrate the steam better than a plastic cap.

I also don't think I am sold on the fact that more steam means more moisture. I think hair can absorb only so much moisture and the rest just sits on top. If plastic caps were not doing a good job, then you'd find the hair absorbed all the moisture and became dry...but that's not usually the case. Hair feels wet when you take the cap off coz the hair got plenty of moisture from that.

As far as temperature, if you're comparing just wearing a cap and working out and steaming, then I can see how the former pales in comparison. But if you're talking about wearing a cap and going under a dryer, I'm sorry but the dryer heat methinks could actually get as hot as a steamer. I know when I'd use heat to DC, I'd have to go to medium heat coz the max used to feel like it'd burn my brains out.

And now that controversial topic of bubble hair. :look: Since there's the fear of water bubbles swelling up inside of hair and causing breakage when people wet-to-dry flat iron, wouldn't that happen with steaming too, since steam is being encouraged to moisturize hair and there's talk of penetration?

Here's an interesting article on Steam Rooms and Hair:

(Source)

I think the heat part of the deep conditioning equation is all about opening the cuticle (the water is there whether its lukewarm or hot--though extreme temps can damage the hair of course). I agree with the OP because you don't need water or air to be super hot to open up the pores/cuticles, warm is just as good to create light vapor and open the cuticle, which your hair can soak up under a plastic cap.

Using a steam machine is probably perfect for coarser, non-porous, more resistant hair (with strong flat cuticles) because it may take more direct heat at a higher temp for the cuticle to open and moisture to penetrate the shaft. But with my fine, porous hair, a steam machine would turn it into mush. I've always had great results just using the plastic cap under the dryer (my hair really can't get any more moisturized after that without simply melting away). It really depends on the hair type.

So I'm sure exercising under a cap is all that's needed for some and for others I think sitting under a hooded dryer with a plastic cap is good enough if your hair is already wet and sopping with conditioner. I normally do the former but every now and then the latter (especially after a henna treatment).

Solitude

ok solitude what happened when you rollerset?

Wow.....I am so sorry that I never updated this thread! I had no idea it had been bumped up back in May. I'm in law school, so I take breaks from LHCF. Anyhoo, I think steaming is great. It feels amazing on the scalp and I haven't seen a flake or had any itchy scalp since I started steaming. I'm in the Fall Steaming Challenge, so I'll update with some pics next time I steam.

Was thinking about this topic for a while so I was so happy to find your thread. I was really depending on you to direct me to the light.

A simple 'I'm absolutely loving my steamer.' Isn't enough.:rolleyes:

Like Cherokia-Rose I'm curious to find out how ur rollerset turned out different from your rollersets with regular deepconditioning. Please come back and let us know:lol:

Hi! Sorry about that. I feel a huge difference between the towel method and the steamer. The steamer produces powerful, consistent very warm steam. It's relaxing and I can feel my scalp being stimulated, especially when I use an anti-dandruff conditioner to steam with (like KeraCare dry and itch scalp).

My hair retains moisture better all week. I stretch for 6 months and my steamer helps my new growth detangle easily.

My biggest hair problem is avoiding those little broken hairs and I don't see them at all after I steam. I hope that helps...like I said, I'll try to update with pics over the next couple of months! PM me if you have any questions before I update the thread.

BTW, I'm thinking of putting my son under the steamer because he had very flaky scalp. My sis, niece, (and of course my son), might all be trying it soon, so hopefully I can speak on the benefits for natural hair, although Lucky's Mom has started some threads on that in the past.

Solitude

Unlike the towel method, my steam doesn't grow colder and then die out in 15 minutes....however, I am tired of having this big machine in my house. I wish I would have gotten a table-top unit.

LaidBak

This question seems analogous to drying your hair in front of a box fan and then asking why a blow dryer is considered better. :lol:

P.S. I love my steamer

Teddy B

Wow.....I am so sorry that I never updated this thread! I had no idea it had been bumped up back in May. I'm in law school, so I take breaks from LHCF. Anyhoo, I think steaming is great. It feels amazing on the scalp and I haven't seen a flake or had any itchy scalp since I started steaming. I'm in the Fall Steaming Challenge, so I'll update with some pics next time I steam.

Hi! Sorry about that. I feel a huge difference between the towel method and the steamer. The steamer produces powerful, consistent very warm steam. It's relaxing and I can feel my scalp being stimulated, especially when I use an anti-dandruff conditioner to steam with (like KeraCare dry and itch scalp).

My hair retains moisture better all week. I stretch for 6 months and my steamer helps my new growth detangle easily.

My biggest hair problem is avoiding those little broken hairs and I don't see them at all after I steam. I hope that helps...like I said, I'll try to update with pics over the next couple of months! PM me if you have any questions before I update the thread.

BTW, I'm thinking of putting my son under the steamer because he had very flaky scalp. My sis, niece, (and of course my son), might all be trying it soon, so hopefully I can speak on the benefits for natural hair, although Lucky's Mom has started some threads on that in the past.

Thank you Solitude,

I tried the plastic cap>wet towel>plastic cap> dryer method on dry hair and hemp oil last night. After 30min my hair was moist to wet. I think that I got a good result from this method. The only thing I haven't seen with this method is the 'no broken hairs'. Don't have a lot but still see some. If the steamer could eliminate that complitely that would be super.

Guess I'm like you, won't be convinced untill I tried it myself.

Now I just have to find a salon that has a steamer and is willing to let me pay for just steaming and nothing else to try it out, still don't trust them with my hair :nono:.

Unlike the towel method, my steam doesn't grow colder and then die out in 15 minutes....however, I am tired of having this big machine in my house. I wish I would have gotten a table-top unit.

Because I sat under the dryer mine never got colder. and this is another reason why I really have to think this through, the space. My house looks like a salon as it is :lachen:

I will be on :look: out for your updates on your hair and family

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I do the towel method and sit under a hooded dryer. The dryer keeps my towel heated and I get great results although I still plan to get a steamer b/c I just want one. *shrug*

lamaria211

i have never had the wonderful results that i have with steaming with any other methods.
The steam from my steamer is powerful and covers my entire head simultaneously. I put a towel over my steamer to intensify the effect.

The shower steam is not as strong because the area of the bathroom is great.
Even in the sauna at the gym the steam is not concentrated on my head, but the results are acceptable.
A shower cap alone using my body heat and the cap is nothing.

may i see what type of steamer you have? TIA