• No - I have not

Votes: 71 17.4%
  • No - but I will Try

Votes: 200 49.1%
  • Yes - Hated them

Votes: 4 1.0%

• Total voters

naturalmanenyc

I'm trying this right now. Pics will be in my fotki now. Not sure if the blackberry photo will show up.

Attachments

• steam.jpg
    steam.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 61

Faith

So SamanthaJones, I saw in another post that you bought a steamer. Are you still doing the towel/cap way or just steamer? Having used both which do you like or are they pretty much the same? Thanks :)

Healthb4Length

I Told Ya'll years ago.

You sure did girl! I just couldn't afford one then and I didn't know about Sam's home grown method then:grin:. Steaming is the biznizz! I had your posts saved under my personal files so I could remember to get one! I remember some old members who are no longer members raving about this. Every last one of them had Long healthy BSL and below length hair.

I just bought a steamer and went under with this same cocktail. Heeheee. I am seriously in love. :yep:

This sounds heavenly! Time for me to whip out the humecto tub! I'll try it this weekend with some of my favorite oils, that way I sneak in a hot oil treatment!

OK. I ordered mine off of Amazon. It's the same tabletop model as on the hair-only website. This one: http://www.hairgift.com/hair-care.html I bought the tabletop one because I live in a small apartment and did not have room for storage for one of the big ones. It was pretty simple to put it together, but I agree with someone else's review in the looooooooooong steamer thread that the parts seemed kinda flimsy. :perplexed But I guess that doesn't matter anyway because it works just fine.

Yeah I was real skeptical when I put it together too! I taught I got ripped off:wallbash: but then once that little sucka got to steaming I couldn't believe just how powerful it was. Looks can be deceiving. I was feeling light headed underneath that thing after 30 minutes. THat's why I'm careful of what I steam with, no products containing menthol or peppermint or Rosemary oils etc...It's have me feeling like I'm floating:lachen:! Powerful stuff!

I washed my hair and then slathered it in Keracare Humecto. I sat up under the steamer for about 20 mins. It didn't get too hot either, just right. I used mine sans-plastic cap, but beware of the drippies because I was dripping all over the place. My hair is still short after this last cut (I went back to neck/chin length), so ladies with longer hair will probably need to use a plastic cap or find some way to pin their hair up so it fits underneath the bonnet.

Yup I make sure I have on my Tassi or any old head band so this stuff don't trip into my eyes. I want fabulous hair but I don't want to go blind getting it:rolleyes:

When I rinsed, I rinsed with cool water to close my cuticles. I think it helped to trap all of the moisture goodness in my strands. For styling, I rollerset my hair and sat under the dryer. When I took the rollers out, goodgawd :blush: my hair felt smooth to the touch, deliciously moisturized, and my hair has almost a silky feel to it. I also don't know whether the steam did something to my new growth, but I was able to get my roots pretty straight with the rollerset and I have a lot of new growth.

And those are the reasons right there why I utilize steaming into my reggie! When I can't afford a touch up, under the steamer I go to help straighten that new growth. Works like a charm.

I give the steam routine an A overall. This will definitely be a continued part of my hair care routine. :yep:

Lucky's Mom

So SamanthaJones, I saw in another post that you bought a steamer. Are you still doing the towel/cap way or just steamer? Having used both which do you like or are they pretty much the same? Thanks :)

Well - I have not taken the steamer out of the box yet....

So - when I do everything - I will post..... Along with my Runway results.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Okay this is the 3rd steamer thread I'm posting in today, lol. I seem to be on a mission. So now I'm thinking because I air dry I don't need no Pibbs hair dryer :)!!! When I blow dry for length checks I use a hand held. So...I think I will go all out and get the steamer on wheels. With some cleaning I can get that baby in my front closet.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Reading back through the thread I forgot I did plan to get that table top steamer then I went on Amazon and saw the price for shipping. I figured I might as well get the one on wheels for that price and I know some of those companies do free shipping. Anyways I will probably finally get my steamer in March or sooner than that if I get a good tax return.

ycj

EXACTAMUNDO!!!! In this economy???? I can't get no steamer. Gas????
Eating! I like eating and I like going to school!
:yep:

My Steamer - 6 bucks
thier Steamer - 300 bucks

My happy fathiful marriage with a compact steamer system???? PRICELESS

You are too funny!!!!! I too loved the steam characters:grin:

AnnDriena_

I use a rice cooker as a steamer for my face. I'll do it for my hair. I'll probably hook up some tube concotion or just sit down with it on the floor. But if you don't have a steamer try your rice cooker or a slow cooker. They produce steady steam and that's what you need.

Fine 4s

I finally tried this method on my twists and with my DC. Everytime I got the microwaved towel on my head, placed the bag and another towel on top of that it seems like my head got cold/cool pretty quickly so I kept warming it up over and over...how long does the heat last for ya'll? Tks.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I finally tried this method on my twists and with my DC. Everytime I got the microwaved towel on my head, placed the bag and another towel on top of that it seems like my head got cold/cool pretty quickly so I kept warming it up over and over...how long does the heat last for ya'll? Tks.

Did you use a heating cap or get under the dryer? You need to do that too.

I have done this method twice. One time with one turbie and one time with two turbies. I prefer the one turbie method because I don't get a headache or lightheaded :spinning:. One generates enough steam.

LushLox

Steam treatments = no tangles period.

You shouldn't even need to use a comb at all during the conditioning process.

Fine 4s

Did you use a heating cap or get under the dryer? You need to do that too.

I have done this method twice. One time with one turbie and one time with two turbies. I prefer the one turbie method because I don't get a headache or lightheaded :spinning:. One generates enough steam.

Here's what I did on my twists...
I microwaved a micro towel and placed it on my head
Put a plastic shopping bag on my head
Placed another microwaved cotton towel
Placed a stretchy night cap on my head...

Didn't know I was supposed to have a heating cap on oops!

Will try it again next time....

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Here's what I did on my twists...
I microwaved a micro towel and placed it on my head
Put a plastic shopping bag on my head
Placed another microwaved cotton towel
Placed a stretchy night cap on my head...

Didn't know I was supposed to have a heating cap on oops!

Will try it again next time....

Heating cap will make the difference.

alexstin

anymore have any adverse effects? I remember someone mentioning that steaming caused split ends and that right there ended my desire to get one.:nono: This home grown treatment sounds great.:yep:

LushLox

anymore have any adverse effects? I remember someone mentioning that steaming caused split ends and that right there ended my desire to get one.:nono: This home grown treatment sounds great.:yep:

No way! If anything it is the reverse! I've been steaming consistenly every week for the last four months snd I've not seen one split end, and I'm always checking.

Lucky's Mom

Huh?:perplexed Possible over conditioning could occur - But here is the deal. 99.9% of those persons with kinks and coils have the DRIEST hair on the planet.............

So - I am sure that steam sould be more of a help than a hinderence.

Hotmommak

I'm going to go ahead and co-sign this. And since I have been using Motions Moisture Plus After-Shampoo Conditioner or KeraCare Humecto (I have a 5 lb. tub of this before I transition completely to the Motions line) my hair has been looking and feeling much healthier.

I steam 3x's a week when I get past week 6 post-relaxer (especially because I am going for a 20 week stretch this time). This is working wonders on my new growth.

I was totally gonna post a thread asking about the motions line. I use it for my daughter primarily, but I have been starting to use some of her products too. I was gonna buy dr. miracle's deep cond. for like $10 for a 5 oz bottle. I think I might just invest in the motion's condish since I've already got the spray leave in cond., hair and scalp dressing (grease), and the daily moist. cream (I might need the light for my hair as its thinner than my dd's).

Anywhoo! I can't wait to try this steaming and post my progress! I'm sooo happy I found you guys! I never have really done much with my hair, and I wanna change that!

anniev2

I'm trying the steam treatment now but I started before I could find the thread and read the instructions (what I usually do the first time I try something new...I'll get better)...anyway here is what I did...

1) Shampooed
2) Applied ORS Replenishing Pack x2 to wet hair
3) Wet turbie i got from Sally's (didn't know to microwave it so i skipped this step)
4) Applied plastic cap (didn't have 2turbies) (Turbie:Cap)
5) Sat under Gold N' Hot hooded dryer on high, been here for 40 mins

Notes/Questions:
After a few minutes my scalp started to feel tingly: Was this steam?
It doesn't feel hotter than normal but maybe the tingly scalp is steam?
Has anyone else done with one turbie and one plastic cap? What were your results?

Ronnieaj

I've done this twice so far and I LOVE the results. Even my SO can tell the difference in softness. Two quickie questions:

1. I sit under a dryer when I do my treatments. Do you think I need a separate heat cap? The PJ in me looks for excuses to buy new products, but I'm really trying to be good here!!

2. I've done this with moisturizing DCs both times, and this weekend is my protein conditioner (either ORS replenishing or Aphogee). Do you think I should use it with the protein DC, or just with the moisture ones? I alternate every week.

TIA!!!!

Pandora1975

If you are using a second bag over the wet turbie, then you are keeping the turbie wet, and the dryer should be fine... that's how I do it. I'd save my money on the heat cap (unless dryer noise annoys you). I don't know about the protein- I don't use it.

PurAngl1

What plastic caps are people using? The regular conditioner caps? Are they large enough to fit over each turbie?

I am going to try this with my next wash...can't wait. I'm so excited.

MJ

I've been taking a break from this. I think my last steam treatment was back in May. I'll start up again once the weather cools down. Then again, I may resume this weekend.