I DID IT - I used the heat/relaxer technique!

Integrity

[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to point out that the concern expressed on the original thread was just that - concern. For your (and your hair's) health and well being...

I'm glad the technique worked and didn't cause damage or discomfort and I'm glad you and your hair are safe and happy.

We get kinda close here on this board - and I'd hate to see any of my sisters in the struggle end up having a set back.
That's all my (and I'm sure many others) alarm was about.
Sorry if you felt you were jumped on or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes! i will add that other people lurk on here and there are young ladies of an impressionable age who need to know that this sort of procedure shouldnt be taken lightly and must be done at ones own risk.

Raven

Thanks Tracy and Pandora. No offense taken!

lala and MSCHICHI, I don't know how to explain how I don't overlap the relaxer - I just don't. I guess I've been doing it for so long that I'm a pro at it. I've been relaxing my hair for years, and my hair is long with zero split ends. Since I'm careful to relax JUST the new growth, and I don't mush up in my hair in the shower cap, it comes out fine.

I'm glad to hear that I am not certifiably insane but that someone else thought of this before me. It really does give a smoother, silkier result. It's been about a week, and it still looks awesome.

Thanks for the concern and all input! The crazy lady has officially left the building.

Spagirl

I have a question. Is there anyone here that relaxed their hair when they were pregnant (post 1st, 2nd trimester) and during that pregnancy found that they felt physically hot vs. when not pregnant. And if so, did your hair take the relax better or even required less time to relax the hair?

Warning: I am not suggesting a pregnant to have a chemical process without checking with your doctor.

Nonie

Raven, I'm glad this worked for you. Even though I'm one too chicken to experiment (still natural here but may one day use chemicals), your method didn't raise as much an alarm to me as it may have done others. (I didn't see your original post.) The key word being "warm" not "hot". It simply made me think of using a relaxer in a warmer place like India or AZ, as opposed to Scotland or Alaska, and getting that "warmth" from the environment instead of a cap.

However, I had the same sentiments as Lala and MsChichi. I remember when I used to put oil on my scalp and put a plastic cap on my head for hours, the oil would steam up and moisturize my hair so that when I took the cap off, my hair would have soaked up the oil too. And the transfer of oil from scalp to hair wasn't so much from direct contact; but rather from the oil vaporizing and rising into my hair - evidence of which was seen in the droplets on my cap. If you were to do a touch-up in warm climates, I assume the warmth would similarly cause the relaxer to enter the hair strands (assuming that's the explanation for your success), but any vapor that would be created by the warmth would escape into the air rather than be trapped inside a cap where it could condense back on the already processed hair. Is that what you were wondering too, Lala and MsChichi? Correct me if I misinterpreted your concern.

Raven, take a picture now when your hair is at its best. It will be great to see your hair still sporting that health somewhere down the road. Plus it'll provide a good prop to explain the improvement you describe. If only you'd known to take a "before" picture too....

Eyvonne7131

Well if it worked for you and you plan on continuing this method then good luck to you. Personally I hate to even sweat when it is relaxer time! I will leave my straightening to the Dominican's and thier relaxer technique!

SweetNic_JA

Raven,
would you care to update us on the current condition of your hair? I'm interested in knowing how it turned out.

thnx