Votes: 71 17.4%
  • No - but I will Try

Votes: 200 49.1%
  • Yes - Hated them

Votes: 4 1.0%

• Total voters

SmartyPants

This was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My hair soaked in ALL of my conditioner, I felt none left in the towel. My hair NEVER soaks in all the condish, I'm very pleased :yep: Plus, this kept me from buying a $130-200 hair steamer that I didn't have room for.

Yup, this one's definitely a keeper :grin:

How long did you sit under the dryer? I sat for an hour. At about the 40 minute mark I was like... :burning: :brainfog::burning::brainfog::burning::brainfog: but I stayed under for the full hour.

SmartyPants

Ok... So... my hair looked great and I got lots of compliments at church.

But the most important thing is that this steam treatment might actually allow me to stretch past week 5/6. This treat really really really smoothed out my new growth.

Lucky's Mom

Wow!!!

This is great news!!!!

:lick:

All I know is that whatever I can do to keep soft and moisturized hair for less - is all I can do !!!

Join the challenge ladies!

Romey

Thank you so much for posting this thread. I owe homage to you.

Anyway, the treatment was great. I followed the instructions to the "T" and my scalp was reinvigorated, and my hair was really soft.

Again, thank you for your sharing your knowledge.

LaManda

You will not get the same effect. The steam comes from the heat of the towels.

I second this....I tried plastic, turbie, plastic, turbie, plastic and received no steam. This past weekend I did turbie, plastic, turbie, plastic and the results were MUCH, MUCH better.

Thanks Samantha Jones, your experiment was pure genius. Saving me and other members about $150. You rock!!!!

tatiana

Natural here, please forgive me if this question has been answered earlier in the thread.

I am interested in using Steam Treatments to elongate my hair for my wash n gos. How long the benefits of the treatment last? The weather is getting warmer, I will start CW everyday. Do I up my treatments to 1x week or is 1 x month still suffice?

SmartyPants

tatiana... I'm not the OP, but samantha is a natural. So, if she says 1x per month is enough, it should be enough. But, everyone's hair is different so you may have experiment with the timing to see what works for your hair.

Lucky's Mom

I second this....I tried plastic, turbie, plastic, turbie, plastic and received no steam. This past weekend I did turbie, plastic, turbie, plastic and the results were MUCH, MUCH better.

Thanks Samantha Jones, your experiment was pure genius. Saving me and other members about $150. You rock!!!!

Awe!

Thanks!!! LCHF totally Rocks.:drunk: I am glad I posted it here - I am not sure I would have rec'd such a warm response elsewhere.

Lucky's Mom

Natural here, please forgive me if this question has been answered earlier in the thread.

I am interested in using Steam Treatments to elongate my hair for my wash n gos. How long the benefits of the treatment last? The weather is getting warmer, I will start CW everyday. Do I up my treatments to 1x week or is 1 x month still suffice?

Hey Tatiana! I suggest you really know your own hair for this answer. The treatment could last for a few days.........

our hair ( curly coils ) tend to be drier - but - If you have your hair in optimal condition, and use the right products for your particular hair needs - 2 x a month may work - or 1x a month should work. YOu have to really test it to know.

This treatment infuses Moisture..... Elongation might or might not come along with that.

And - one hour for me - was best.....................

Jhuidah

So I tried this on wash night this past Friday, but I ended up falling asleep before I could get under the dryer (that Zyrtec has a sis flat on her back every night). My hair does seem shinier than normal, and my ends definitely feel better--they are my problem zone. So this might be a keeper! I won't do it again this Friday for fear of over-moisturizing, but I will definitely try it again two weeks from now. With actual heat this time to keep the steam going.

ravenmerlita

I tried this and it works! I don't get steam when I take off the cap because I'm up and down so much that I don't stay under the dryer/heat source consistently but I do get hair that is softer and better conditioned faster and that stays moisturized a little longer between washing/conditioning.

Samantha, THANK YOU! Great idea.

lovinmylocs

I tried this twice this month - two weekends back to back - I know I was flirting with disaster by my hair has been soooooooooooooooooooooo dry. I could start a brush fire. The first time I did it with a conditioner concotion mix - the results were so so. The second time I did it it was with Redken Butter Treat and I had the best hair ever. This is such a keeper and I'll stick with twice a month, but I'll space them out from now on.

Lucky's Mom

I tried this twice this month - two weekends back to back - I know I was flirting with disaster by my hair has been soooooooooooooooooooooo dry. I could start a brush fire. The first time I did it with a conditioner concotion mix - the results were so so. The second time I did it it was with Redken Butter Treat and I had the best hair ever. This is such a keeper and I'll stick with twice a month, but I'll space them out from now on.

good news!!!

ajoyfuljoy

How long did you sit under the dryer? I sat for an hour. At about the 40 minute mark I was like... :burning: :brainfog::burning::brainfog::burning::brainfog: but I stayed under for the full hour.

I sat under for 30 min. I could really see myself doing this once a week. I've cowashed three times this week already and my hair doesn't feel mushy (my hair is real thirsty, ha ha!).

SmartyPants

HELP!!!!

Someone tell me to put the turbie twists down. I just did a steam treatment last week. I know I shouldn't do one this week, but my hair felt so good afterwards, I am having a really really really hard time stopping myself from doing this again this week!!!

Everything Zen

I tried the home grown treatment once.
It worked very well except for the fact that it was SOOO steamy and hot that it actually overheated my soft bonnet dryer forcing the safety swith to trip after only 10 minutes. :ohwell: I thought it was permanent but it came back to life in about an hour.

Meanwhile. my hair was amazingly soft!!!!!

I think it's a good option if it works but I think I'm going to have to buy a real steamer so I don't damage my Ionic soft bonnet hair dryer (love of my life!!!! :love:) or worse-eletrocute/set myself on fire because of all the heat! :yep:

Lucky's Mom

HELP!!!!

Someone tell me to put the turbie twists down. I just did a steam treatment last week. I know I shouldn't do one this week, but my hair felt so good afterwards, I am having a really really really hard time stopping myself from doing this again this week!!!

oooooh! another addict!!!:lachen:

Lucky's Mom

I tried the home grown treatment once.
It worked very well except for the fact that it was SOOO steamy and hot that it actually overheated my soft bonnet dryer forcing the safety swith to trip after only 10 minutes. :ohwell: I thought it was permanent but it came back to life in about an hour.

Meanwhile. my hair was amazingly soft!!!!!

I think it's a good option if it works but I think I'm going to have to buy a real steamer so I don't damage my Ionic soft bonnet hair dryer (love of my life!!!! :love:) or worse-eletrocute/set myself on fire because of all the heat! :yep:
WOW! you really got the steam goin'!!!!

Faith

I used to do it back in the day but stopped...got lazy but your post has got me doing them again.
Did one today and my hair was sooooo soft. 2 hours after I had washed my hair and it was out while I combed/braided it up I thought my hair was wet but it was just unbelievably soft. I think having healthier hair contributed as well. When I was relax my hair would be DRY in about 30-45 min. Today a few hours later and it still felt very soft (so soft I thought it was wet). I'll keep to this every 2 weeks...this time making sure I seal in the steam (I didn't do it "properly" today).

Bint Yusef

Im trying this right now, under the dryer typing this message and its getting mighty warm underneath this first cap. :look:

Last edited:

Rainbow Dash

I am a newbie and I tried the steam treatment on natural hair and my hair felt really soft and hydrated. My hair felt moist hours after the treatment. I will continue this treatment every two weeks. Thanks for sharing. :yep:

Empress Yahudah

Im gonna try this method:yep:. I saw the turbons at Dollar Tree for a dollar 2 months ago but bypassed them..Well ill be stopping by soon to pick em up and those gloves:grin: