• No - I have not

Votes: 71 17.4%
  • No - but I will Try

Votes: 200 49.1%
  • Yes - Hated them

Votes: 4 1.0%

• Total voters

adw425

I am doing this right now, but I only used a stocking cap (soaked in steaming hot water and wrung out with gloves -- hot) and the plastic cap. My micro heat cap (and the Mastex I just got yesterday because I know I am going to blow up the micro heat cap in the microwave some time soon, smile) look too small for me to get two turbies AND my big head under there. I am doing a protein treatment with Duo Tex and not only do I feel the steam, it seems that, for some reason, the cap is holding the heat longer. This was a great idea.

Last edited:

Lucky's Mom

I am doing this right now, but I only used a mesh stock cap (soaked in steaming hot water and wrung out with gloves -- hot) and the plastic cap. My micro heat cap (and the Mastex I just got yesterday because I know I am going to blow up the micro heat cap in the microwave some time soon, smile) look too small for me to get two turbies AND my big head under there. I am doing a protein treatment with Duo Tex and not only do I feel the steam, it seems that, for some reason, the cap is holding the heat longer. This was a great idea.

How did it go????:drunk:

Jassy28

SJ, I love this idea! Those others steamers do not fit in my college student budget:nono:. Turbies I can afford:yep:. So just to make sure I got it, you sit under the dryer will wearing the turbies, right. Or can you do this with out?

Lucky's Mom

SJ, I love this idea! Those others steamers do not fit in my college student budget:nono:. Turbies I can afford:yep:. So just to make sure I got it, you sit under the dryer will wearing the turbies, right. Or can you do this with out?

You can use the heat cap or the dryer....

LadyKaypnyc

THANKS! Off to big lots....Yay! If this works for me, I won't have to spend the extra 15-30 minutes at the gym just sitting in the steam room:grin:

adw425

Samantha: It worked great for me!!! Usually when I do a protein treatment, my hair is all drawn up when I rinse it out, but my hair was hanging down after I rinsed it out, not hard or tangled at all.

Last edited:

Lucky's Mom

Samantha: It worked great for me!!! Usually when I do a protein treatment, my hair is all drawn up when I rinse it out, but my hair was hanging down after I rinsed it out, not hard or tangled at all.

How Wonderful!

It is a Keeper.................. I went to Big lots to wipe them out of the 10.00 (2.00 turbies!!)

:yep: Here comes the next level in hair care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrsHouston

How Wonderful!

It is a Keeper.................. I went to Big lots to wipe them out of the 10.00 (2.00 turbies!!)

:yep: Here comes the next level in hair care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use the steam room at the gym...but I need to make it over to Big Lots for the $2 turbies!!!!

Lucky's Mom

ALERT!!!!

Another member Shared that We do have to be careful about Steam rooms - Because of the possible Chlorine levels at any given time in the gyms.

Lets be wise!

adw425

Co-signing: I posted this in a water filter thread. It is an excerpt from a public health journal article. I hate the thought of gym's adding chlorine to their water. Lord have mercy... If showering in tap water does this, I hate to imagine what sitting in chlorine-saturated steam does...

"Chlorine chemically bonds with protein in the hair, skin and scalp, which causes them to become brittle as well as lose color. The longer the shower the greater the concentration of chlorine gas in the air we breathe. Chlorine is a known poison and when showering is absorbed directly into the blood stream as well as through the lining of our lungs. To shower or to bath in tap water is like showering and bathing in a swimming pool. Warm shower water opens up the pores in the skin making our skin like a sponge."

C

cieramichele

I did turban, shower cap, turban, shower cap and it didnt seem to help. No steam although I thought it was warm/hot enough. :nono:

C

cieramichele

Did you sit under a dryer - or use a heat cap?????

A heat Source must be maintained............:drunk:

To be honest, I cant even remember anymore. weird :ohwell:
Im guessing I didnt.

Are the double layers even needed if you can heat one turbie/cap layer good enough?

Healthb4Length

Sam!! This method rocks!!!:thumbsup: I tried it tonight and my scalp felt sooooooooo good! When I took off the cap and baggies I was surprized to see so much curl definition and elongation:blush:! Best of all when I rinsed my hair out it was soft and easy to detangle. THANK YOU!! I'll make this a once monthly treat.

Lucky's Mom

Sam!! This method rocks!!!:thumbsup: I tried it tonight and my scalp felt sooooooooo good! When I took off the cap and baggies I was surprized to see so much curl definition and elongation:blush:! Best of all when I rinsed my hair out it was soft and easy to detangle. THANK YOU!! I'll make this a once monthly treat.

Awesome Babe!!!!!

I am so glad to hear this............

I can't wait for my next one:lick:

Butterfly08

This is how I did it:

1. pre poo
2. Shampoo
3. oil rinse
4. rinse
5. apply deep condish - insert steam treatment here - 30 mins to 1 hour
6. detangle & final rinse.

From:lick: what others have stated - this should only be done once a month or so. This infused moisture and infused the condish as well... There was also a thread that stated when moisture levels are optimal - reversion is minimal for any thermal style.
since I am natural - and I wanted my rollerset/flat iron to last - I decied to do this. This also may reduce frizz and tangle on curls.

Hope that helps.

I am going to do this at my next wash!!! :grin:

SmartyPants

I am trying this tomorrow when I do my weekly wash. Do you guys know if it will make a big difference if I plastic-turbie-plastic-turbie-plastic? The thought of putting a turbie directly on my conditioner squicks me out.

Lucky's Mom

I am trying this tomorrow when I do my weekly wash. Do you guys know if it will make a big difference if I plastic-turbie-plastic-turbie-plastic? The thought of putting a turbie directly on my conditioner squicks me out.

You will not get the same effect. The steam comes from the heat of the towels.

ajoyfuljoy

This is a great idea and it sounds like it would really work! I'm gonna pick up the stuff to try this today :yep:

Update: I did pick up the stuff today and I'm doing it right now. I could feel the steam already when I was putting the turbies on at first!!!

Last edited:

MissMasala5

I tried it today, ladies, and oh my goodness! I washed my hair yesterday because I wanted to try DCing on dry hair. So today, I did my usual DC of cholesterol and EVOO on dry hair, got the steam going in the shower, then steamed for 10 minutes. Did a lukewarm shower and rinse, followed by a cold blast and WOW! The softness, I cannot get over the softness!

Thank you, Samantha Jones, this treatment was absolutely divine. Love it! :hula:

SmartyPants

Samantha I could kiss you!!!!!

I did the treatment today just like you suggested. I knew I was dealing with a different head of hair as soon as I started rinsing the conditioner out. My hair was like fine silk. I kept rinsing because I thought I still had conditioner in. Then, when I rollerset my hair, those combs just glided through my hair!!! I usually lose/shed about twenty strands of hair while combing through my hair for a rollerset. Today there wasn't a single hair in the combs!!!!!

I am not taking my rollers out until tomorrow but I will check back in to tell you guys how the dry hair looked.

Now, I am off to find a BT thread so I can kiss Natural Lady's ass!

ajoyfuljoy

This was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My hair soaked in ALL of my conditioner, I felt none left in the towel. My hair NEVER soaks in all the condish, I'm very pleased :yep: Plus, this kept me from buying a $130-200 hair steamer that I didn't have room for.

Yup, this one's definitely a keeper :grin: