HELP....trying to stretch!

PinkAngel

Hi Ladies,

Last week after reading so many inspiring reviews on stretching. I too decided to stretch my relaxers to 10 weeks (usually relax at 6 weeks) as my first goal then add a week or two each time afterwards. I was so excited to start this new journey of healthy hair that I went out and bought all new products. :clap:

I shampooed yesterday and deep conditioned w/ ORS Replenishing Pack. I then applied WGHO to my scalp and Design Essentials leave-in conditioner along with a mouse to do a braid out. I woke up this morning to a head full of bushy, wild and untamed hair. And this new growth is somethin' awful. So, I re-wet my hair and pulled it back in hopes of a bun. NOT!!! This mess is terrible!:crying3:
I'm about ready to call :phone: my stylist first thing tomorrow morning for a touch-up appt Thursday. I'm truly disappointed b/c this is something I really was looking forward to accomplishing and just didn't realize my hair would be this tough to deal with.

Has anyone ever had this problem when starting out? Any and all advice is appreciated. TIA

brickhouse

I never had a problem but when I first started stretching I had to do mine in increments each time. I had to tame my hair. Before LHCF I use to get a touch up every 5 weeks. What helped me the most was Keracare hydrating detangling poo and humecto. I also did a CW a few times a week which really soften my new growth. I would only comb when I washed. HTH

Divine Inspiration

maybe you could try 8 weeks instead of 10 weeks this go 'round...I posted some stretching tips in a thread not too long ago, lemme see if I can find 'em and bump it for ya...

SweetCaramel1

hi msshic. this is my first attempt at stretching too. i was alot more difficult than i thought it would be. just getting used to "the feel" of the new growth alone is new to me. i can actually feel the hair growing into my scalp.

i'm currently at 9 weeks, set a goal of 24 weeks. what i've been doing is washing 2x a week ( it's not by choice, it calms my sore scalp and itching)

deep conditioning also helps and keeping the new growth and ends oiled. i tried the air drying and my hair was a hot mess. what worked best was rollersetting my hair. i think it kinda helps to straighten the new growth. at night i comb into a ponytail (at the top of my head) and roll up. that way i can sleep on it comfortably.

also for moisture. i treat the relaxed hair with a waterbased product and the new growth with an oil based product to prevent further shrinkage.

i hope this helps!